SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   24 Hour Recovery Connections Part 426 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/435396-24-hour-recovery-connections-part-426-a.html)

Kris47 01-08-2019 03:30 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/QCgHydsS/a41e12...82551cedba.jpg

Red78 01-08-2019 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by kenton (Post 7094976)
Totally agree with Willow and Badge about the wonder that is Mother Nature. At the risk of sounding a teeny bit crazy, I'm going to share what I did on Saturday. Warning .... this is a little bit bonkers but it harmed no one and it's far less bonkers than numbing emotions with poison so here goes....
Every Saturday afternoon I take my dog for a walk through these beautiful woods. Last Saturday as me and dog set off, I thought to myself, 'today I'm going to find a beautiful stick and bring it home with me'. As we walked through the woods, I kept my eyes peeled for beautiful sticks on the ground and after 40 minutes or so, I had about 15 sticks in my hands. Then I stopped at this massive tree trunk and laid all the sticks out and looked at them. Then I had to work out which sticks weren't going through to the next round and eventually I had 2 sticks in the grand final. One was green and wonderful and the other was red and white striped. I wanted them both to win but there could only be one winner.... and when dog and I walked out of the woods, I brought the winning stick home with me. The winning stick wasn't important (it was the stripey one)... what was important was the fact I spent an hour immersed in nature and focused on something that has nothing to do with responsibility, grief, worry, fear, anxiety and all the other big stuff us humans have to handle. And it made me think about my kids. They're always collecting stones, shells, leaves, pine cones etc. They notice stuff ... they notice stuff all the time. .. stuff that often passes me by. Maybe it's because kids haven't forgotten yet... they haven't forgotten that this world is wonderful and magical and if you want to have fun you don't need to spend a load of money or get stressed about the details. I loved my hour in the woods collecting sticks.... I'm going to do it again this saturday. Reconnecting with nature has been one of the most joyful and unexpected consequences of sobriety.... and the miracle of nature is right there... outside my door... all the time. Makes me feel so blessed. Congratulations to everyone celebrating a milestone today and 24 more for me please xx

This is so beautiful... It is often the most simplist things that can bring such great joy and peace..

Red78 01-08-2019 03:56 PM

I missed the check in but I'm going for a productive sober 24 hours..

nmd 01-08-2019 03:57 PM

In for 24hours sober

venuscat 01-08-2019 04:19 PM

Oh nmd, it is lovely to see you!! :hug: ♥♥

venuscat 01-08-2019 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Red78 (Post 7095015)
I missed the check in but I'm going for a productive sober 24 hours..

Sending huge hugs Red78. :hug: ♥♥

whopper 01-08-2019 04:43 PM

What a warm January day it was today, 8 celsius. I even saw someone riding their motorcycle! Its usually -15 celsius this time of the year, so it is quite odd to be so warm but I did enjoy it!

Anyway here for another 24!

Quincy 01-08-2019 06:29 PM

May I please have another 24 hours with a side of realization? Thank you.

H379 01-08-2019 07:29 PM

Attended our teams holiday party, we couldn't make it happen last year, had to reschedule it for tonight. Folks complaint that this year we are ending early, because I didn't drink. I am so proud of myself. Let them complain. I didn't even feel like drinking.

But the strange thing was I sucked at bowling, pool and foosball. I know I was never this bad.
I will have to learn to play then being sober. I am ready to learn. Even though I sucked, I enjoyed, a lot.
Good night. Will check in the morning for my 24.

CrossYourHeart 01-08-2019 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by kenton (Post 7094976)
Totally agree with Willow and Badge about the wonder that is Mother Nature. At the risk of sounding a teeny bit crazy, I'm going to share what I did on Saturday. Warning .... this is a little bit bonkers but it harmed no one and it's far less bonkers than numbing emotions with poison so here goes....
Every Saturday afternoon I take my dog for a walk through these beautiful woods. Last Saturday as me and dog set off, I thought to myself, 'today I'm going to find a beautiful stick and bring it home with me'. As we walked through the woods, I kept my eyes peeled for beautiful sticks on the ground and after 40 minutes or so, I had about 15 sticks in my hands. Then I stopped at this massive tree trunk and laid all the sticks out and looked at them. Then I had to work out which sticks weren't going through to the next round and eventually I had 2 sticks in the grand final. One was green and wonderful and the other was red and white striped. I wanted them both to win but there could only be one winner.... and when dog and I walked out of the woods, I brought the winning stick home with me. The winning stick wasn't important (it was the stripey one)... what was important was the fact I spent an hour immersed in nature and focused on something that has nothing to do with responsibility, grief, worry, fear, anxiety and all the other big stuff us humans have to handle. And it made me think about my kids. They're always collecting stones, shells, leaves, pine cones etc. They notice stuff ... they notice stuff all the time. .. stuff that often passes me by. Maybe it's because kids haven't forgotten yet... they haven't forgotten that this world is wonderful and magical and if you want to have fun you don't need to spend a load of money or get stressed about the details. I loved my hour in the woods collecting sticks.... I'm going to do it again this saturday. Reconnecting with nature has been one of the most joyful and unexpected consequences of sobriety.... and the miracle of nature is right there... outside my door... all the time. Makes me feel so blessed. Congratulations to everyone celebrating a milestone today and 24 more for me please xx

Who besides Kenton can make finding a stick sound like an amazing experience? :You_Rock_

Delilah1 01-08-2019 08:21 PM

8:16 pm in California and checking in for another 24. It has been a difficult few weeks around here. Losing my mom was awful, and yesterday my husband found out a friend of his was killed in a car accident, then last night my BIL ended up in the ICU after a fall, and when got there was diagnosed with pneumonia and is on a ventilator.

I know things will turn around, I actually bought a lottery ticket on the way home, thinking maybe it was time for my luck to change.

In sticking with my word present I was focused at work today. I took a long lunch and went to visit my BIL, and then I went to the HS basketball game and watched my daughter cheer.

Now I'm checking in with some of my favorite people.

❤️Delilah

Delilah1 01-08-2019 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Willow68 (Post 7094537)
Thanks Dee :)
Thanks Suze and Badger ❤️ It’s been a crazy roller coaster journey since I stopped drinking in May. I honestly didn’t think I’d make it through the silly season without drinking, but having lost Mum and Dad I couldn’t bear the thought of letting them down. I feel I owed it to them, to stay sober and present, for this first Christmas without them, (especially to Mum who waited till my monumental day 100 before heading off on her journey to Heaven). I’m not usually a church goer, but I took great comfort in going to church on Christmas morning and lighting candles for them both. I felt closer to them being sober than I could have if I’d been drinking. And I’m so glad to start the New Year sober. Now that I’m home I can fully see how challenging these last weeks, actually months have been. But I feel I’ve turned a corner. I still miss them like crazy and my life will never be the same, but I’m so grateful that I’m doing it sober. It doesn’t seem like sobriety is s burden, and I don’t feel like I’m missing out. I have more clarity, even though it is swathed in moments of stark sadness. I have occasional moments of lightness, especially when surrounded by nature. They are fleeting, but by seeking out nature, I intend to bring those moments into my life more often. I will get there. One day at a time.

Thank you all here on SR for being here ❤️❤️❤️

You are doing so well, I'm so proud of you Willow!❤️

1newcreation 01-08-2019 08:37 PM

Hi Ms V? You used to think of me but not anymore so feelings are hurt

PhoenixJ 01-08-2019 09:06 PM

BarbieKen 01-08-2019 09:10 PM

I'm in for the next 24 too.
:grouphug: Bobbi

mystified 01-08-2019 10:48 PM

I had a wonderful nights sleep last night.
Hardly surprising after being up in the early hours of yesterday morning.
Feeling refreshed and ready for the day.
Another 24 for me please.

kenton 01-09-2019 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by 1newcreation (Post 7095154)
Hi Ms V? You used to think of me but not anymore so feelings are hurt

Ah 1newcreation, I'm sorry your feelings are hurt. If it's any consolation, my feelings get hurt over and over again on this thread. I will never understand why some people like every post on a page except mine!! And it's always the same people so I know they're using the ignore function specifically for me. Why do that?? Why be so cruel?? I know my posts may be a little irritating at times but why ignore me?? I'm treading the same recovery waters as everyone else.... just trying to navigate my way through. It's unkind and I'm calling it out as unkind. But as far as Suze goes, surely there can't be a kinder, more compassionate soul in the universe? She's incredible but she's human and if she's missed your posts 1new creation I reckon it's because she just missed your posts. Stay strong and seek validation from within yourself 1newcreation. ... that's what I'm trying to learn how to do. 24 more for me please xxxx

Willow00 01-09-2019 12:25 AM

I couldn’t “like” posts for ages because I couldn’t figure out how on my phone. I hope I haven’t offended anyone by that. I also miss posts sometimes too.
But I love you all :)
:Val004:

Willow00 01-09-2019 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Delilah1 (Post 7095151)
You are doing so well, I'm so proud of you Willow!❤️

Thank you Delilah, so are you ❤️ I ‘ve been thinking of you a lot lately. Sending you heaps of support and love and hugs at this very difficult and challenging time :hug:

Willow00 01-09-2019 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Kris47 (Post 7095000)

This is beautiful Kris, thank you :hug: