Notices

Class of January 2019 Part One

Old 01-06-2019, 03:12 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Day 13 AF
Day 6 Vape Free.
Still feeling frustrated, but i know it will get easier if i keep on not drinking.
So I will not drink with you today.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:33 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meshelly View Post
Day 13 AF
Day 6 Vape Free.
Still feeling frustrated, but i know it will get easier if i keep on not drinking.
So I will not drink with you today.
Awesome job meshelly, one day at a time..
I too won't drink today..
Old 01-06-2019, 03:47 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Here for my daily check in. Day 6.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:03 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Hello All, Day 6.
Still have some brain fog, but getting better. Tomorrow I think I’ll start watching my diet and doing some light exercise. Blood sugar is still way out of whack...
Thank you for all your wonderful posts!
Old 01-06-2019, 05:18 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Hey all good going through the first week. And Meshelly I'm kind of with you, just heading into Day 13 (mostly I've been writing over in the December class); I had a moment earlier of frustration but agree now's the time to hold on tight and it'll get easier!
Old 01-06-2019, 05:40 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveDD View Post
Day 5 here. It’s always a much bigger struggle not to drink when at home instead of working. Having two busy young kids (not even school age yet) having “a glass of wine” with dinner or “a drink” after they go to bed is an easy way to justify drinking but we all know it isn’t just “a drink”. For me it is more likely a bottle of wine plus. Plan is to get outside with the kids, burn some energy and stay busy.

I know what you mean. I have one day off a week as I work long days the other four and that would be my planned drinking day. Start drinking in the afternoon. I feel like the mommy culture these days is SO about indulgent drinking/breeding alcoholism/ encouraging alcoholic behavior and tendencies.

So many Facebook mom groups I’m in are “is 12pm too early for a glass of wine?” And all the moms say no way drink up “we deserve this” no we deserve to be present and sober for our children.

You can do this and you are a great mom!
Old 01-06-2019, 05:48 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Congrats to all on your achievements. Keep on going with what ever you all doing.

Day 7 sober here. All these days had no desire to drink. Feel great!

But getting stressed not able to give up smoking. I need to start again.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:52 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Day 6 for me

So happy that I found this thread. I am fairly new to this website, So glad that I found it. Jan 1 was my born again day. I have been drinking for years. I have been praying that God would help me quit. Mid December I decided that Jan 1 was my day, I have been AF for 6 days now.It hasn't been too bad. My hubby is not much of a drinker and I haven't been in any high tempting situations. I have had a couple of craving situations... I did not act upon them. I have quit a couple of times thru out my adult life but always went back. I have a copy of The Naked Mind coming. Should be here in a day or 2. I want this to last forever. Glad that I found you all.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:19 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Couldn’t agree with you more hoot owl! Thanks for the reply!
Old 01-06-2019, 07:15 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Welcome Green Sweater and BetterSober!

Well done to all those that supported BonnieFloyd through terrible back pain. I’m sorry I was asleep in the UK or I would have supported further. I hope you made it through the night Bonnie?

Still in bed 3am here. It seems my attempts at re-setting the body clock has failed? Time to get up and post properly after some mindfulness time and a coffee.

JT
Old 01-06-2019, 07:24 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Welcome to all our new classmates!

Ending 1 week today and feeling really good. I loved catching up on all your posts today. From the reminder of the brevity of life, to the determination to kick this awful poison once and for all, I appreciate all of your words.

Wastinglife, I'm sorry to hear about losing your mom in November. That has to be really tough right now, especially with no service to help you grieve. Take time to do what you need to do for you. Just don't drink, OK? That will not help your healing.

StartAnew, Glad to see you back!

Citrus, Are you OK? It's unlike you not to post in a day. Check in, please.

Today was a very good day. Church then lunch with the family. A nice nap this afternoon and now just getting ready for the week. Zero cravings. In fact the freedom I felt from alcohol was wonderful. I did have to stop at the store to get more Jelly Bellys (my nightly treat now) but so much better thank plotting my next alcohol purchase.

Supersonic, I am also losing weight despite eating more. I was so bloated from all my wine. What a yucky way to live.

Love to all and a good night.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:25 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

3:20am. Desperate to go to sleep but an old friend is constantly messaging me. All through the night.

I feel wicked for not giving her my full attention but studying the Super Bowl odds at the same time. Only 4 weeks to go. Whoop whoop.

The first time I joined here was the Super Bowl with Katy Perry and her dancing sharks. This year I’ll be watching it sober
Old 01-06-2019, 07:27 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Tony, I can't believe you're up at 3 AM! At least your not laying there with regret and despair. I love that your using these odd waking hours with purpose to make yourself healthier...body and soul. Nice going, friend.

And you too, StartAnew! Wow. I'm glad you're here.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:44 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
JJ9

Just checking in at the end of Day 6. Trying to hold myself accountable to post once a day. I read SR several times every day but am not a committed poster yet.

My husband brought me a bottle tonight. He is so loving and sweet and he knows this is usually the time I cave in but tonight I just ate dinner and now I’m in bed. So happy I won’t be waking up tomorrow with that dread and guilt.

First sober weekend down! Awesome job to everyone who made it through and sending positive thoughts and prayers to those who are starting again. Just don’t give up!
Old 01-06-2019, 07:54 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome greensweater and protegototalum - as well as anyone I may have missed

I hope you resisted Bonnie - drinking will likely make the problem worse in the long run - it not only causes inflammation as someone else already noted, but it also caused me to fall over a lot more than I would normally and hurt my back more.

It's no solution to the problem and may even stop you finding out what is the right permanent solution.

D
Old 01-06-2019, 08:19 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Day 7

QuitNow4 - thanks for the supportive words. Having you here (with other familiar names) makes me feel at home. There are certain people I’m pretty sure have relapsed given their lack of post activity and given their sober modus operandi on here by way of contrast. The people I wish were posting in this group alongside us know who they are. If you’re lurking then please come out of the shadows (I’ve done that myself either by trying to go it alone or continuing to drink - it really doesn’t work out well).

JJ9 - I’m confused (not judgemental) as to why your husband would buy you a bottle? If he knows the extent of your addiction then he really shouldn’t enable it (as much as he loves you) and if he doesn’t know how much you want to quit and why then surely you must tell him? Putting bottles in front of an alcoholic will inevitably lead to a relapse one day - especially if the person trying to give it to you is someone you love. Please get rid of the bottle from the house and make a plan as to how you’ll avoid such situations in future? I hope that came across as supportive and constructive? That’s all I’m trying to be.

Well I followed my plan to the letter yesterday and so it seems time to make a plan for today? Fitness wise I will be going to the gym for 06:30am and grinding through 30 sets of weights on legs. Quads, Hams, Calves, Adductors and Abductors. I hate this workout but it must be done. Later I will be walking pooch with my wife for 3 to 4 miles.

On the subject of early morning workouts at the gym it always interests me to observe the car park as the fitness centre opens its doors. The cars are invariably ‘top end’ - Range Rovers, BMWs, Mercs, Audi, Porsche and Lexus. I think it really is true that most of the successful people in life ‘rise and grind’ just like the self help and You Tube motivational channels suggest? They’re not up early because they are successful and have the time to indulge in doing what they want. They became successful because they forced themselves to make that time to invest in their body and mind? PS - I’m not banging my own drum here. I do ok admittedly - but I have wasted 20 years drinking with only limited periods of doing this stuff. No I’m not one of the people I mention - but I’m trying to be more like them on a consistent basis. Just an observation I wanted to share.

I intend to go to the meditation centre a little later too. So far I have leaflets, prices and have drank a Soya Latte. Now time to steel my nerves and talk to someone...

I went online yesterday to seek out AA meetings. Why has that process got to be so cumbersome? Sure I found meetings but I wanted to know how many nights a week they took place there and a few more details. I didn’t want to know there was a meeting at 7pm in a town hall on a Weds night. I wanted to know if they met every night and if so - where etc. Please don’t tell me to just turn up and ask those questions as my mind doesn’t work that way. I’m sure there must be phone numbers on the website so I’ll look at that later. I really, really never wanted to be part of AA but I know I need to at least explore it.

Well - that’s my morning musings over. Sorry I don’t have anything more insightful to add. I’m just trying to keep myself accountable to the group at the start of each day.

Let’s make the rest of our life the best of our life.

JT
Old 01-06-2019, 08:25 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on the week JT

D
Old 01-06-2019, 08:49 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

I made it through January 6. I've been in and out of sobriety for twelve years. Finally, losing my job and not being able to meet expectations got me to stop. I lost a job that I love, a stable income, and health insurance. So, I know that I am sick and I know that I am powerless over alcohol. But I made it through day 6 and now I am committed to make it through day 7. I'm wishing the January Club a great day 7.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:58 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

JT - I can understand about never wanting to be a part of AA, I cringe at the idea. I've started reading Russell Brands 12 step program which takes the 12 steps of AA and changes them to suit the modern world I guess you could say, they seem a bit more real in this day and age.. Congrats on 1 week.
PS. I admire your determination going to the gym and exercising, something I struggle with.

I'm on day 3 and I tell you did that AV go wild whilst at work.. My work colleagues were talking about a farewell next Friday evening with all the ladies I'm very friendly with and around the same age, that voice was trying to come up with all sorts of ideas! I'm really going to have to stay strong with this one. Plus it's a long weekend and my birthday too..

I will check in before bed to stay accountable as the evening is only young..
Old 01-06-2019, 08:58 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Hi everyone. So happy to see you all doing well 🙂.

I had a lousy day at work Friday. Talked myself out of stopping at a party store on the way home. Walked in the door all proud of myself, only to find that my family had decided to have a few. So I walked back out and went to the store. 😠

The three of us are back on day 1 again. I bought a Fitbit and am fascinated with it. Wondering how I can use it as a tool for not drinking as well as the other cool things it does.