Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 62

Old 01-11-2019, 01:55 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by badgerden View Post
In the first year of recovery, our sobriety has to come first. It has to be the first thing we consider in any actions.
Right Badgerden
To illustrate :

My car won't start, what do I do?
I don't drink.

I've lost a lot of money in a bad deal, what do I do?
I don't drink.

I won the lottery, what do I do?
I don't drink.

(You get the picture...)

Fisrt thing first and 24 hours at a time!
Have a good day Unders!
Old 01-11-2019, 02:05 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

(((Willow))) I agree, you needed to release all the anxiety and grief that have been building up.....you've been through so much! And to stay sober through it all is so impressive....I'm glad you were able to get your appointment. Let us know how it goes (only if you want to, of course)
Old 01-11-2019, 02:46 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

My doctor was great, she had a chat to me and was really kind and compassionate and she’s referred me to a really good grief counsellor but not till Feb. But that’s ok, I feel better having done something about it.
Night everyone ❤️
Old 01-11-2019, 11:56 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

I'm so glad you sought and got the help you needed Willow. You have been shouldering a lot of pain these months. Hugs sweetie. X
Old 01-11-2019, 02:17 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hugs willow. I hope your counselor is helpful. I cant imagine the pain and dread the day I must mourn close family members. But because I see you and others here make it though such life milestones I know I will be fine too. Hopefully the rest of January will fly by.

I hiked the mountain next to the one I live on today. Good steep 2 miles up. No cigarettes for 3 months made a difference. Made a friend at the top. We chatted while she had soup and I drank tea. She drove an hour and a half from Atlanta. We added each other on IG and it seems like she might be sober curious. I told her if she ever didn't want to hike alone to hit me up.

I sometimes feel very aware of my loneliness and don't want to come off desperate to strangers but also want to be there for someone if they're struggling. I've morphed into an introvert over the past 10 years (totally fine with it) but I can be outgoing at times and enjoy hanging out with small groups of people.

The rain is coming so time to get cooking. I hope you're all having a good start to the weekend.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:38 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

A sad day for many here on SR to hear our friend Kathy has passed. She and I came through the Undies together, though she lapsed close to, or early in her first year. She found the strength and tenacity to come back and fight once more, this time finding serenity in her sobriety.
We don't know what the future has in store for us, Kathy would have left us regardless of whether she continued drinking. But for her and her family, and for countless friends on SR, life was immeasurably better these last few years for being sober and in the moment.
Kathy impacted on so many here, something she would possibly have struggled or failed to do if she had not maintained her sobriety. She had a strength in her faith that many these days dismiss. I am not a believer, but I respected her belief and know she strived to be a better person for it.

RIP Kathy. And thank you for being you.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:43 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

RIP dear Kathy, she shared so many wise and kind and comforting words with me, and she will be very much missed on many SR threads ❤️
Old 01-12-2019, 02:03 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Somber day indeed....I'm glad to have known Kathy even though we never met....hope her family is doing okay
Old 01-12-2019, 06:33 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I was really sad to hear about gilmer. She had such encouraging words for me in my first few months when I felt so overwhelmed, words of hope and of joy. She is missed here and I'm sure out there immensely.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:44 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

8 months sober Monday (yesterday). Yippee
And I had no sugar yesterday either! Which is a step in the right direction for me, because I’ve been overloading myself with sugar for the last month while I was away on holidays (partly as a defense against the AV while everyone was drinking around me) and since I got home I had continued the sugar laden diet.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:31 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hurray Willow!! Good for you!! It is a very nice feeling. So what are your plans for the year? Anything fun??

badge
Old 01-14-2019, 02:44 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hi Badge
One thing I need to do is get back into the workforce.... I’ve had several months of just doing a little bit of casual work, but as much as I like working fewer hours, it’s not sustainable in the long term.... so financially I need to get my act together.

I’m also hoping to get to the UK later in the year to visit family. That will be wonderful. 2019 is going to be so much better than 2018 (which sucked to be honest)

How about you Badge, do you have plans for 2019?
Old 01-14-2019, 03:20 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Yes, I need to get my junk food grazing under control also, but this summer we have rented a cabin and taking our boat up to the Sunshine Coast BC for 5 days.

https://sunshinecoastcanada.com/

badge

very much looking forward to it.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:28 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Wow that looks amazing! So beautiful. What a lovely place to spend some time ❤️
Old 01-14-2019, 11:43 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Sounds like fun Badge!

Willow, I know w hat you mean about the sugars this time of year! I Need to cut back too. I'm right in the midst of moving house, so eating is very basic just now, and some strange combinations as I empty my freezer!
Old 01-15-2019, 07:15 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Congrats on 8 months willow!!! Do you have plans for your 1 year anniversary of freedom in a few months?
Old 01-15-2019, 11:13 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Eight months is great, Willow!
Old 01-16-2019, 12:58 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Willow I just saw you were going to e in the U.K. sometime this year, where are you visiting? X
Old 01-16-2019, 01:56 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Thanks guys ❤️ Toots I’m not really sure yet exactly where we’re going. I’m going with a few others and we’re still in the planning stages as there’s talk of side trips to Europe and everyone has ideas... so we’re getting together in the next couple of months to draft a rough plan. So many places to see that I doubt we’ll do it all! Scotland, Ireland, Wales, England, Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Greek Islands, and that’s just a start! We don’t have enough time to do everything this trip I’m thinking. We’re not sure how long, maybe a month.... so much to think about, very exciting
Old 01-16-2019, 04:58 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Guener, GoodbyEvan, Jimmy, how are all of you doing? GBE have you done anymore hiking? Would love to do more of that this summer.

Willow doing well yourself I hope, remember keep your eye on the prize. I was at my most nervous and on guard of my AV from 7 months on. The times that I slipped was in that time period, I became over confident and down I went,,, keep your guard up and your sober muscles flexed!

Undies, check in please!

Badge