Notices

Class of August 2018 Part 8

Old 01-13-2019, 04:03 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  

Katy - oats and skullcap would be great for you, both are a nervine so will defo calm the nervous system.. Having done studies in naturopathy I'm all for natural medicine..
Old 01-13-2019, 08:05 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Good evening all. I'm headed to bed here in a bit.

Don't feel like I accomplished much today other than cleaning up after my Dad poor guy. He is feeling better and we went to my brother's for Sunday pm dinner.

Driving over for dinner, I realized I didn't have a plan for avoiding wine. These dinners are a lovely time where we sit around and drink wine and talk. I have taken my trusty tonic water usually to these gatherings. Not so tonight. I wound up sitting with a glass of wine until I had a chance to dump it in someone else's glass. Not too smart on my part but I didn't drink it. I probably need to come clean with the family.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:21 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  

Ayers - Your post really helped! I woke this morning the same and angry, I threw a laptop down the stairs! I'm calmer now and luckily have my first CBT therapy session this morning at 10am. It helps so much to read your post, stops me feeling I'm going insane and makes me realise it is my mind and body healing and that I'm not alone.

Red - I feel a lot better reading you mention Skullcap, believe it or not I'm going for a Skullcap tincture this morning on my way to counselling! I've used it before and it helped massively, I've been avoiding spending with being very short right now but I need something. I'm all for herbal medicine too. Can't wait to get the Skullcap today

Don't have much to say this morning, it started awfully with another outburst and afterwards feeling down, embarrassed, emotional... Going to get myself ready now and get the skullcap then go for my CBT therapy then I have my office board meeting this afternoon.

Just need rid of this extreme level of tension and anger in me...

Wishing you all a good day. I'll check in and read / post more later.

Thanks for being here, not sure what I would do without this group! It really is a huge support!!!! Appreciate you all being here and sharing your journeys!!!!

Katy xxx
Old 01-14-2019, 12:31 AM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Katy - you go, girl !!! Here for you if you want to rant and rave and even throw things around. I see you have upgraded now from coffee mugs to laptops _ hmmm _ reminding you about the punchbag and pillow and rubber ball again. Or maybe just a good , long hug? I am sure you are going to feel loads better after your CBT . ((((()))))

Dee, I loved your "Quiet revolution" in Horatio's post !!

Bee, hope your dad is better?

Been to gym, had my smoothie and now for some office work - ugh - but I know it will make me feel good - need to feel some accomplishment.

Meanwhile the "quiet revolution" will continue .

Have a good day today: grab your handful of happiness, a bit of sunshine, and put it in your pocket - it's there for the taking.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 01-14-2019, 12:44 AM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Katy, just thought of something. Sometimes just upping your Vit B can also make a huge difference, and what your body doesn't need will just be wee'd out. Don't get a fright if it's yellow !!

Hope this does not fall in the Medical advice category - just vitamins
Old 01-14-2019, 02:12 AM
  # 466 (permalink)  
Administrator

Always a good idea to run supplements past your doctors - even vitamins. Not everything is suitable for everyone

D
Old 01-14-2019, 03:02 AM
  # 467 (permalink)  

BeKind-I'm going to throw my vote(as if I had one) for coming clean with the family. I have made it my mission this year to be more open and honest with family and close friends. I don't see how this can't help my mental stability. Just my 2 cents. Wonder where that phrase came from?
Old 01-14-2019, 03:40 AM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Good morning August friends. Another work week, ugh. But wishing you all a sober and happy Monday!

P.S. Hi Red. I love seeing you back here (you've probably BEEN here, but I just missed 'ya!).
Old 01-14-2019, 08:55 AM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Agree with you Bob. And Dee , about the vitamins.

Bee,I felt so much more committed once I had "told" . Felt like a huge weight off my shoulders.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:23 AM
  # 470 (permalink)  

Finally back to 21 days sober. Good to see you all.
Hope the laptop is still working Katy. Cant wait to hear how you found the CBT.
Zoey, well done on the weekend....it can be hard when those around you lose their resolve.
Best wishes to the Augustonians.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:22 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoeydog View Post
Good morning August friends. Another work week, ugh. But wishing you all a sober and happy Monday!

P.S. Hi Red. I love seeing you back here (you've probably BEEN here, but I just missed 'ya!).
I float around lol
Old 01-14-2019, 02:32 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Katy, how did the therapy session go? Hope it helps settle the mood swings.

Ayres, sorry I scared you. I have been having some trouble getting myself to sit down at the computer. I have to get back into the routine again. I have really missed everyone! I’m glad you’re getting out to the gym. It’s one of my favorite things to do.

Bekind, I’m with Bob and Ayres about telling friends and family that you’re not drinking. You don’t have to tell them everything, maybe just that you are taking a break for a while or that you notice that you feel better when you don’t drink. It makes gatherings so much more comfortable for everyone.

Bob, glad you had a nice birthday. You sound really good these days. So glad that the Augustonians are stuck with you, lol!

Zoey, great job staying strong over the weekend. It’s tough when others around us give in.

I met with my therapist last week. She was just as blown away by my daughter’s behavior as I was. Oh well, I just have to move on and trust that she will come around when she’s ready.

I’ve been keeping up with the gym and healthy smoothies, but slipped a bit on the no sugar, ugh. One day at a time…

I'll check in again tomorrow
Old 01-14-2019, 04:17 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Thanks all for your thoughts on coming clean with family. I have told some of my family. I'm afraid of hearing, "Well, we will see how long this lasts?"

Red it is good to see you. I can't remember if you joined another class or not. It is so good to know that you, Bob, JT and others haven't given up. I really believe we are all fighting to make this world a better place in the humblest way, changing our own behavior and facing our own demons. Even if it is an ongoing process of picking oneself up yet again and going at it once more.

My Dad and I visited my Mom today. She is barely eating now and lost enough weight that her wedding rings fell off. It is sad and I dread her going, dread the coming loss and sometimes want to get it over with. Not the happiest state of mind although I do know this is the natural process of life. Indeed one of my main goals in life has been to outlive my parents.

Inspite of my Mom, I'm really doing okay.

Again and as always thanks to each one of you for joining me in this journey.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:15 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Bob, cool question....this was a great answer

There's an episode in the Bible in which Jesus praises a poor woman for giving her only two pennies to the Church, amidst a crowd of people giving much larger amounts. Her two cents was more meaningful, valuable to her and therefore to Jesus, than the fortunes which were only small portions of larger fortunes being given by others.

Thus, “my two cents” is the relative value of one's own opinion in a conversation- it means literally everything to the one giving it, but its value to others may be dubious.

Another.....
My two cents" and its longer version "put my two cents in" is an American idiomatic expression, taken from the original British idiom expression: to put in " my two pennies worth" or " my tuppence worth". It used to preface the stating of one's opinion. By deprecating the opinion to follow "” suggesting its value is only two cents, a very small amount "” the user of the phrase hopes to lessen the impact of a possibly contentious statement, showing politeness and humility. However, it is also sometimes used with irony when expressing a strongly felt opinion. The phrase is also used out of habit to preface uncontentious opinions.

My son is a linguistics major....can you tell who may have inspired his curiosity?
Old 01-14-2019, 05:23 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  

Hmmmm.....telling the family. I haven’t really told anyone. I am kind of ashamed still. Do you think it’s necessary?

PS, I echo what Bekind has said about those we hadn’t heard from....wish you all the best

Bonnie
Old 01-14-2019, 05:26 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  

Bekind, keeping you and your parents in my thoughts and prayers
Old 01-14-2019, 08:13 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matrac View Post
Bekind, keeping you and your parents in my thoughts and prayers
Thanks so much Matrac. I will take all the prayers I can get.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:06 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Tuesday morning

Katy, I too hope you still have a working laptop? Let us know how your therapy went. And isn't it nearly time for your yoga classes ? I think you said they start around about now?

Bee, I feel so much sadness when I read about your dear mother. It must be so difficult to see her dwindling away before your eyes. Lots of hugs and good thoughts coming your way.

Bonnie, yes, I can see where your son got his love for language from. Thanks for those interesting explanations on "just my two cents' worth" .

As for not coming clean with family - I knew I was going to get a reaction from my friends and family when I quit - I couldn't just not say anything, because it was so apparent, so noticeable that I wasn't drinking , and everyone noticed. So I had to say something. I said I was taking a break - many people do - but as time passed I had to come up with another excuse. This time I said I feel so great not drinking that I am going to stick it out a while longer.

I suppose some have put two and two together. At one stage I did feel embarrassed about it, but I kept thinking how I felt the day I joined SR - how I would have given anything to get out of the clutches of alcohol- and that made me feel "what the heck " - I actually don't care what anyone thinks. It is not about them.

Anyway, may you all have a great day today. Grab life with both hands and do at least one thing today that you enjoy .

Love and hugs XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 01-14-2019, 10:18 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers for you your mom and your dad bekindalways.

I told everyone when I quit - still feel a bit bad about that as my parents didn't need have to worry about me - I was 40 and hadn't lived at home for years.

If I could do it again I would have played my cards closer to my chest to avoid worrying people.

The time for worry was over - I was in recovery

D
Old 01-14-2019, 11:34 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Good Morning

Ayers, I take a Vitamin B complex daily but yesterday with the meeting I took two. I got my skullcap tincture too and I can really feel myself being a lot calmer and more relaxed... and yep I start my first yoga class tonight, I'm very nervous but I'm just getting myself there and hoping for the best lol, it starts at 7pm tonight, 7 - 8:30pm.

Darkling, the laptop still works luckily, a couple of keys don't but its an easy fix at the repair place here, not ideal but could be a lot worse. Well done on your 21 days sober

CBT yesterday was good, thanks Barbs, Darkling, Ayers for asking ... although the therapy didn't really start, it was more building up a full picture yesterday of whats happening, thoughts and feelings that arise and how it's affecting me, the real therapy starts next session, next week. I really felt better for going, I warmed to the lady I'll be seeing which is good, I found her very good to talk to and feel positive for the sessions ahead

My work office meeting yesterday afternoon went very well. Yesterday started off so awfully but turned into a real good day. If I can get through yoga tonight and actually enjoy it rather than anxiety taking over then I really will be feeling good

So sorry to hear about your Mum Bekind, very pleased you're close with your Dad though and dealing with this together, big hugs and prayers for you all xxx

About the coming clean with family and friends, I'm pretty much an open book, I've got t the point I usually just say it as it is and be honest but with some people, for example my landlord yesterday, I simply say I'm having a 6 month break from alcohol and gone t total for a bit of a health boost as it gives me more energy and focus on my work and other things...

Right it's coffee time when a walk then work...

Then, I MUST MUST MUST get to my Yoga class and not bottle it! I'll check in later with the verdict lol.

Peace, Love and Strength to each of you

Katy xxx