Notices

Class of December 2018 Part 1

Old 12-03-2018, 12:48 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I've seen posts on books to read but cant seem to find them now, should have book marked them. Would someone be so kind as to link that page please, also if there of one one book (other than the BB) that is the best place to start which would that be? I know there will be conflicting answers but for a beginner like me something to inspire me when things are crappy would be good. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:18 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

heres the link Phil

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ependence.html (Books on Recovery, Spirituality & Codependence)

'The Naked Mind' by Annie Grace seems to be the go to book of the moment.

D
Old 12-03-2018, 02:54 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Day 3 sober from a binge that started 2 weeks ago when my mother died. I numbed my grief. Now I am tearing up over all the little memories. Still hasn't sunk in she is gone forever. She was cremated so she literally does not exist on the planet. Hard to grasp. I feel bad for my dad when he has to pack up all her clothes and belongings. Her car is still sitting in the driveway. A constant reminder.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:32 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Think I might join y’all drinking to early in the day all day it’s been giving me crazy anxiety and feel like zombie hopefully I get to know y’all and we can support each other best wish to y’all today
Old 12-03-2018, 05:48 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hi everybody. I would like to join in. Had a pretty dry summer and fall. Made progress, but relapsed once again. Im ready to be rid of this albatross, once and for all. It really isnt worthwhile. Never was. Day one begins. Hope I make it thru the day.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:56 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hey Everyone, adding my name to the December list. 2 days so far, and I'm optimistic.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:06 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hello all. I'm back again. I posted a few days ago that I was suffering from dreadful anxiety and so responded in the same way that I do everytime, by drinking. It's a stupid thing to do as I have learned in the past that there are better ways to cope with anxiety than by drinking. So I'm back on Day 1.

This time I've contacted the local alcohol support service. I did attend there last year and did have some success though ultimately I did return to drinking. I've got an appointment with them on Wednesday (that's one good thing about where I live, the alcohol support service is funded by the health service (NHS) and so is adequately staffed.

I just have to accept that I have to take it one day at a time and I have to stop thinking too far ahead. I'm awlays worrying about things and then using alcohol as a means of coping.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:53 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Day 2

Have tried and failed many a times. I hope from here on it's only more sober days added. I have a lot to loose, if this habit does not stop. Praying for the best.

HoppingI tried it alone many a times but never any success. Hoping to attend AA meeting tomorrow. Hope AA will help. Also joined Smart Recovery attend an online meeting, will attend one today as well.

Will start journaling as well. This post is the first attempt. I need to talk to people who understand what we go through. I think I can get best advice and support from such folks and not ones who have seen us from the outsideoutside.

Hope to come here more frequently and express my feelings and thoughts to seek advice.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:02 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
Day 3 sober from a binge that started 2 weeks ago when my mother died. I numbed my grief. Now I am tearing up over all the little memories. Still hasn't sunk in she is gone forever. She was cremated so she literally does not exist on the planet. Hard to grasp. I feel bad for my dad when he has to pack up all her clothes and belongings. Her car is still sitting in the driveway. A constant reminder.
My sincere sympathy to you in your great grief, WL.
These early days, weeks, months can be so hard and sad.
Let yourself feel, let the sweet little memories come.
You and your father support each other, grow closer.
Take your time, take gentle care of yourself.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:06 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Day 1 again

No excuses, just going to try again. I hope the promise of starting the new year right and sober motivates.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:52 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hi all, joining you. Day 2. I'm having a heck of a time trying to get myself back into some solid sober time. I am going to keep trying though. I know how long prolonged sobriety feels. I really hope one day it clicks and I just stay sober forever, but I know there is work to be done to get to that point.
I'd adore for this to be my last class ever.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:12 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Day 3

Hey guys,

The afternoon of my third day. Feeling a little better except I have a headache and I had a hard time sleeping last night. Strange dreams. I did go for a walk today and did a few things around the house. My aunt had a stroke yesterday, so I went to visit with her at the hospital- it was a minor stroke, so she will likely be just fine. This evening will be difficult- I’m not feeling as sick from my Friday night, so I’ll have cravings. I’m going to get through it. I did not go to an AA meeting, and probably won’t. I have my own reasons. I’m waiting on a call back from a counselor. I’m going to make this work.

Hi Nichole! Glad to see you here, December 2017 friend! Can’t believe it’s been a year. Let’s get sober. Seems like an excellent crew here! Looking forward to getting to know everyone. We can do this together.

❤️
Magpie
Old 12-03-2018, 04:29 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Nichole, Stubbs, Citrus, cItygirl, H379, Robbie and Fitzedwards85

I post these links for recovery action plans and dealing with cravings in every class.

They really are worth a read and the ideas therein are definitely worth taking on board

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

D
Old 12-03-2018, 05:31 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

End of Day 13....still waking up with headache feeling thirsty and not well

So, Day 13 was a challenge. I wasn't tempted to drink, but for the first day it was on my mind. Thankfully I had a meeting after work tonight for one of my kids and had to go straight there. Then home for some dinner and relaxation time.

Here at SR reading your posts....so inspiring and reminding me of why I need to continue this streak of sobriety for as long as I possibly can, with support and strength from everyone here.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:25 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Hello December. Joining back in after a long time away which was not at any point covered in glory. I'm working on relieving my life of various pressures and know that this is one of the worst, despite its ability to kid me that it's a solution to pressure. I repeat the mantra I picked up here the first time I joined - no-one ever regretted NOT drinking.

Px
Old 12-04-2018, 01:12 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, I downloaded the kindle version of The Nakes Mind and have started reading it. I will check out some of the others once I finish it.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:33 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you got through otterisland
sounds good Phil
Welcome back Pixie30f!

D
Old 12-04-2018, 02:06 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Hi guys,

I just want to pop my head through the door and say a massive good luck to you all from the December 2016 class. I had tried so many times when I joined that group and honestly, didn't hold much hope, but the support of my fellow Decemberites helped me pull through. These classes really are great. I wish all of you the best. For me, it has definitely gotten easier to stay sober with time, I'm sure it will for you as well .

B
Old 12-04-2018, 02:21 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Day 4. I am suffering through a spell of insomnia. I hate being wide awake all night. Especially when 4am rolls around and I know I won't sleep before sunrise. Gonna be up all day in zombie mode...
Old 12-04-2018, 04:52 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hello friends. Glad to be in good company!

Wastinglife, I too am suffering thru the insomnia thing. It takes some time to regulate our sleeping patterns, but as you know, it does get better in time. I spent about 3 hours here this am, just reading. Great company. Im also very sorry about your Mom. My thoughts, prayers, and condolences to you.

Hope everyone is doing well. Day 2 begins for me. Im really ferling much more optimistic about this quit. Im finally reaching the point that I understand there is no moderation for me, ever. Its a hard thing to admit. But the times of sobriety this summer were so great. I really want that for the rest of my life!

Have a blessed and sober today friends.