Notices

Class of December 2018 Part 1

Old 12-01-2018, 11:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sober this night

Trying to figure out a way forward. Been here before. Why is it so hard?? I need to change my life. Can’t think beyond tonight. Glad to see some familiar names from last December. I plan to stick around here. I have a doctors appointment friday- I might see if the doc has any recommendations for treatment. Maybe that’s overkill. I dunno. I had almost 3 months earlier this year. I know I can do it.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome wastedlife and magpie

D
Old 12-02-2018, 12:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks palmersage thats so motivating to hear. Its just how i want to be feeling this time next year
Old 12-02-2018, 12:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

dble post
Old 12-02-2018, 12:41 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think when you're fighting for your life Magpie 'overkill' is relative?

D
Old 12-02-2018, 12:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I joined clss of Novenber on the 29tth so feel a bit of a fraud there. So I'd like to join the class of December, be more a part of things. December will be a hard month for me, especially as I am just starting out so the support here will be invaluable. Thanks for having me.

Phil.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:21 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Phil

People say December is a hard month to quit but really any month is when you drink like we do/did....it's all about making different choices for different outcomes.

You're in the drivers seat, and you have the power - not your addiction

support helps a lot, and you'll find that here

D
Old 12-02-2018, 06:33 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I've cancelled going to see Def Leppard tonight with friends as I know it will be more about the beer than the music. I cancelled going to my work Christmas party as that is dinner followed by a free bar for several hours. I am way too early in this to try to get through something like that so avoidance is my only option for now.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:38 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
welcome Cando Otterisland, SpringIsSprung, Orderfororder and Tinkerbeau

have you got a sobriety plan for tonight orderfororder?
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...val-guide.html (Social Occasion Survival Guide)

great to see you ChloeRose and RAL

D
Thanks for the helpful link. Luckily, there was no alcohol consumed by anybody there so the only challenge was for me to shut down the subtle AV suggesting that I pick up some beers. A challenge which I passed with flying colors. It was a fun night! And despite Tyson Fury being robbed, it was a good fight.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:43 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Phil71els View Post
I've cancelled going to see Def Leppard tonight with friends as I know it will be more about the beer than the music. I cancelled going to my work Christmas party as that is dinner followed by a free bar for several hours. I am way too early in this to try to get through something like that so avoidance is my only option for now.
Wise decisions, considering you are in early sobriety. Some people get very bummed about having to miss events here and there, but they forget that parties, concerts, events, etc. happen all of the time and will be there next year or the year after, whenever you feel comfortable being in those environments while staying sober.

Sitting a few rounds out is nothing in the grand scheme. And you are likely better off using that time to reconnect with yourself and figure out what a sober you really likes to do.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:50 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Day 3. Woke up yesterday at noon. Didn't sleep since. Wide awake this morning with no signs of sleep so I went to a meeting. Been up almost 24 hours now. Stil not tired. Chronic insomnia is really awful.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:22 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 2

Hi guys,

Todays is day 2. I don’t really think yesterday should count though, since I made myself so sick the night before that I barely got off the couch. We had a big earthquake here Friday that was terrifying. I was at work at the time, and everyone evacuated. Roads were clogged, damage to some roads trying to get home. My apartment was a disaster- broken glass and dishes, plant pots broken, debris everywhere, and all the furniture shoved around. My husband is out of state. I cleaned up- luckily no major damage. My neighbors decided to celebrate surviving the great earthquake of 2018. I got it done. There’s still vomit on the bathroom floor. Still having aftershocks. I’m hoping the earthquake shook me up enough to change my life?

I need help. I end up here too often. I feel like I’m hopeless. I look back at who I used to be and what I used to value and I’m ashamed of myself. I have too many good things in my life to feel like I don’t want to continue. I’m going to find a counselor. I know what will make me feel better but I don’t want to do it. Exercise, meditation, healthy eating, taking care of everyday chores that need to be done. Why don’t I have the motivation?? I do the bare minimum and go to work everyday. But that’s it. Since the earthquake Friday, I haven’t left my house. I’ve been laying on my couch by myself avoiding everything. I plan on going for a walk today. Maybe I will? I won’t drink today. I will clean the vomit off the bathroom floor.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:19 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

End of day 2. Maybe I CAN do this? My drinking has caused so much hurt to those close to me. My partner has stood by me, he deserves better.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:29 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I hear you spring. We’re on the same day. Hopefully the pain subsides. I know it will. Take care.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:52 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through the quake ok with no injuries and minor damage Magpie.

what do you think you need to do differently this time to stay sober?

D
Old 12-02-2018, 07:37 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Magpie82 View Post
Hi guys,

Todays is day 2. I don’t really think yesterday should count though, since I made myself so sick the night before that I barely got off the couch. We had a big earthquake here Friday that was terrifying. I was at work at the time, and everyone evacuated. Roads were clogged, damage to some roads trying to get home. My apartment was a disaster- broken glass and dishes, plant pots broken, debris everywhere, and all the furniture shoved around. My husband is out of state. I cleaned up- luckily no major damage. My neighbors decided to celebrate surviving the great earthquake of 2018. I got it done. There’s still vomit on the bathroom floor. Still having aftershocks. I’m hoping the earthquake shook me up enough to change my life?

I need help. I end up here too often. I feel like I’m hopeless. I look back at who I used to be and what I used to value and I’m ashamed of myself. I have too many good things in my life to feel like I don’t want to continue. I’m going to find a counselor. I know what will make me feel better but I don’t want to do it. Exercise, meditation, healthy eating, taking care of everyday chores that need to be done. Why don’t I have the motivation?? I do the bare minimum and go to work everyday. But that’s it. Since the earthquake Friday, I haven’t left my house. I’ve been laying on my couch by myself avoiding everything. I plan on going for a walk today. Maybe I will? I won’t drink today. I will clean the vomit off the bathroom floor.
Having been through many day 1s and day 2s myself, I will suggest that you not be so hard on yourself in the early days. Those days are meant for rest and self-care. Once you are back in somewhat working order, you can start to slowly integrate those hobbies into your day. You don't need to do everything at once. Try just getting to the gym (if you go to a gym), and after that you can make little goals of how often you want to go per week. Try 5-10 minutes of meditation and gradually increase it, etc.

You'll get there! And soon enough you will be thanking yourself for treating yourself so well.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:42 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi Dee, I’m glad to see you are here still. I spent the day laying on the couch thinking about that very thing. What will I do differently? I have a lot of literature I ordered last time I quit that I plan on reading. I’m starting with Adyashanti’s Falling into Grace. I started listening to an Annie Grace podcast, and then found a Dr. Amy Johnson pocast. I plan on attending my first AA meeting tomorrow, but I’m not sure how I’ll get along with that. I owe it to myself to give it a shot. I’m calling a counselor in the morning. I think there’s a lot more to my addiction than just drinking, like everyone else. I also have a doctors appointment Friday, so I’m flirting with the notion of asking about treatment ideas. I don’t know that I really need a treatment program just yet, and definitely not an inpatient situation. I think meditation and mindfulness is really helpful for me, but I fell back into the pit and I haven’t been doing any of that. I guess it’s hard to meditate when your drunk or hungover. I have never journaled, I might give that a shot. My office is shut down tomorrow due to the earthquake, so I’m dedicating another day to self care. Maybe I’ll form a more concrete plan by tomorrow. I feel slightly better now than I did this morning. I still feel paralyzed though- not motivated, and I know that doesn’t go away for me. It’s not a direct correlation with drinking. I’ll have to either figure that out or just be okay with being a lazy pice of doodoo. Thanks everyone for being here.

magpie
Old 12-02-2018, 07:49 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by orderfororder View Post
Having been through many day 1s and day 2s myself, I will suggest that you not be so hard on yourself in the early days. Those days are meant for rest and self-care. Once you are back in somewhat working order, you can start to slowly integrate those hobbies into your day. You don't need to do everything at once. Try just getting to the gym (if you go to a gym), and after that you can make little goals of how often you want to go per week. Try 5-10 minutes of meditation and gradually increase it, etc.

You'll get there! And soon enough you will be thanking yourself for treating yourself so well.

Thanks Order,

I’m going to keep that in mind. I will try to wait a couple days to be hard on myself 😉. Really though, your encouragement means the world to me right now. Thank you.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:46 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I am not feeling sorry for myself, but my life is just so utterly empty compared to all my friends I have known through the years. Alcoholism and ADHD are the main issues since I haven't been able to effectively deal with them yet. I have decided to focus on one thing only. My alcoholism. The ADHD, unemployment, othet mental health issues can wait. Alcohol is the priority. First things first
Old 12-02-2018, 11:13 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

My life is unrecognisable now WL - better in every way - stay with us