Notices

Class of November 2018 Part 2

Old 11-18-2018, 05:43 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good morning class. Have to be at work a couple of hours early today. Yuck.

After work, I promised my nephew I'd come over to his house and play some video games with him if he had a good week at school. So gonna keep my word and do that.

Not gonna drink today. It's not the answer.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:15 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Forgot to say welcome to you sweetichick. We've been classmates before. Glad to have you here. One day at a day. As one of my favorite SR contibutors likes to say, nobody's coming to save us. We have to save ourselves. I'm only a couple of weeks in, but I feel like I'm on the right track this time. I have to do the work. I have to make this job one.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:18 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearPath64 View Post
RAL! Your description of the show........thank you. I've always seen Springsteen in a big concert venue and he has a way of touching the audience, even in that type of setting. I can't imagine what it would be like in the venue and format you are describing. I hope you can internalize your experience and carry it with you, knowing that this was part of the early stages of your new sober life. The emotions and joy you felt were felt sober, while you were 100% present. That's how life is supposed to be experienced.

I'm so jealous, but so happy for you.
Thank you clear path your words are very kind. I realy believe he touched me in a way that wouldn't have happened if I'd been drinking. I was fully present. Thanks. Hope you are having a great weekend.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:20 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Goid for you on getting through a rough night ghost face.

welcome back sweeti ☺

breakfree thank you for your kindness. You are a great person. Uoud will get through your weekend too. When is it ?make it on your terms and be true to yourself . You are answerable to no one and owe no explanations as to why you are not drinking. There maybe tough moments but a god firm plans and exit strategy will see you right.

thanks bonnie. Enjoy your healthy food and 8activities.

hope work goes OK casey. At least you're sober. Enjoy the time with your nephew later.

day 21 for me today.3 weeks. Now I've got through a weekend away sober I know I can really do this this time
Old 11-18-2018, 06:31 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

RAL, I'm glad you enjoyed seeing Bruce. Sounds like it was a wonderful intimate show. I never really got into his music, but have always respected him greatly as an artist and performer.

I hope everybody is having a fun sober weekend!
Old 11-18-2018, 06:36 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Back at day 1. Feeling ashamed of myself. I feel like when I get the urge to drink there's no stopping it even though I logically know all the reasons why I shouldn't. It turned into an all day event and I ended up contacting someone I wouldn't have if I was sober and said some things I wouldn't have said if I was sober. This person did not appreciate me stirring the pot. Basically, terrible things were said on both ends and it's safe to say that if there was any chance of re-kindling that relationship, there isn't now. Probably for the best, but I'm ashamed I even reached out in the first place.

I've spent the morning crying. I feel like a failure in many aspects.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:48 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

ahrrr linners I feel your pain.. I have also done this many times and spent the next day hungover thinking it over and over again.
Be kind to yourself today xxx
Ral when are you home bound?
Its horrible weather again here ( I'm loving it ! No guilt on not working on the farm ) so it's pjs fire and kiddo time ! I made a pumpkin pie today and the kids didn't like it oh well ! Hubby did .
Happy Sunday everyone x
Old 11-18-2018, 06:56 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Sorry, Linners. I think we’ve all been there. Please don’t be too hard on yourself. Glad you’re back.

strawberry, I bet your pumpkin pie was delicious. :-)
Old 11-18-2018, 07:06 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

New here

Hello all,

I am new here. I just quit drinking the beginning of this month. My problem started slowly since I moved abroad 9 years ago and escalated to me drinking 6 half liter cans of beer per night and on weekends the sky was the limit. So far I feel great and realize my body was not functioning correctly with all this heavy drinking I was doing.

Great to meet you guys and this seems like a great resource. Hope to contribute more in the future!
Old 11-18-2018, 07:14 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Welcome, expat! So glad you’re here.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:15 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Thanks Strawberry and Bonnie. I'm just so frustrated with myself.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:17 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

My Keurig wasn't full enough to brew a cup of coffee, but it was full enough that when I went to pull the water reservoir out to fill it, it spilled all over and down the counter, the walls, baseboard and floor. I filled the reservoir and as I was taking it out of the sink, I spilled it down the front of the sink counters and onto the floor. I got that all cleaned up and kicked the dogs water dish and the water went everywhere! I went to transfer a chocolate chip pancake from the griddle to my son's plate and I burned the tip of my middle finger on an eff'ing chocolate chip! A CHOCOLATE CHIP! I finally got the kitchen cleaned from breakfast and as I was going to put the griddle away, I spilled water all over myself and the floor (I forgot to pull out the drip pan and the DIRTY water from cleaning it was in there!). OMGawd... SERENITY NOW!!! Deep breaths. My husband is driving me crazy and the teens are fighthing as usual. I can't catch a freakin' break and it's only 10am. Sigh...
Old 11-18-2018, 07:45 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Oh no, breakfree! What a sucky morning! Could you just say “see ya!” to the family and go treat yourself to a latte or something? Maybe a quiet browse around a bookstore? It sounds like breakfree needs a break!
Old 11-18-2018, 09:05 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

For everyone--what has been your experiences with cravings? For me, they start on day 3 or 4 and I end up blowing it. I know that if I continue to "feed the beast" they'll never go away. It starts with just a thought that mushrooms out of control. When do they typically peak and start to recede for you guys? In other words, how long can I generally expect to be battling these intense cravings before they start to lessen?

Edited to add that the next time I feel that initial urge, I just need to come here and be honest about it instead of pretending I'm fine and I can ride it out myself. I'm clearly not making the most of this class by doing what I've been doing, so a definite change is in order.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:46 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Linners820 View Post
For everyone--what has been your experiences with cravings? For me, they start on day 3 or 4 and I end up blowing it. I know that if I continue to "feed the beast" they'll never go away. It starts with just a thought that mushrooms out of control. When do they typically peak and start to recede for you guys? In other words, how long can I generally expect to be battling these intense cravings before they start to lessen?

Edited to add that the next time I feel that initial urge, I just need to come here and be honest about it instead of pretending I'm fine and I can ride it out myself. I'm clearly not making the most of this class by doing what I've been doing, so a definite change is in order.
Yes, linners, please do come here first. I was feeling prettt close to caving a few nights ago, but just sharing here helped me through it. It’s okay to have ups and downs. So many of us are used to telling the people in our lives that everything is fine, but you don’t have to do that here.

As for cravings — Annie Grace’s book helped remove my desire to drink, for the most part. But even though I don’t want a drink, I still crave it, if that makes sense. I think there’s just going to be an adjustment period, but the cravings will weaken. This is something I accept on faith because my drinking has gotten so bad over the past few years that I’ve just had to decide to believe it. And I really do believe it will get easier. It just takes time.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:57 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Thank you, Bonnie. I had bought that book a while back and never totally finished it. Today is a good time to start.

Drinking is such a mental release for me, a reprieve from my own mind. I do deal with anxiety, depression and obsessive thoughts so after a couple days go by with no drinking I start to feel like I'm just wound up too tight and want to be numbed out. Part of it is boredom and loneliness too, and knowing I can drink and feel almost instant relief is so tempting. Forget all the reasons I shouldn't drink, once the idea is in my head I'm off to the races.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:06 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

At church this morning, I dipped the host into the goblet of wine. Last week I dipped the host in the goblet of grape juice. But today, I didn't even think of the wine vs grape juice thing.

Afterwards, I remarked to my husband that I did so but would not count this as "drinking," or start counting days at zero again. He smiled at that, and said "Of course! It's Communion!" I realize their are different opinions on this, but Communion sure did not act as a "trigger" for me. And I truly feel I'm not rationalizing this.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:15 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hey Guys!

For those of you who are enjoying Annie Grace's book, here is a link to her free 30-day challenge!

https://learn.thisnakedmind.com/the-...t-registration
Old 11-18-2018, 11:00 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Linners — I can so relate. As soon as my mind goes there, it’s over. I hope the book helps you, and I’d also check out the link that breakfree posted.

Minerva — I’m with you; I don’t think communion is a big deal. I guess some people might find it triggering, but it’s one sip in the least triggering environment I can imagine.

Breakfree — thanks for posting that link!

So I finished Allen Carr’s book, and it’s really good. I prefer Annie Grace, but that’s just me. Ms. Grace uses a lot of the same ideas as Mr. Carr, even referencing him from time to time, but I just found her to be more engaging and relatable. Both are excellent though; I suppose it’s a matter of preference. I’m glad I read both. Rational Recovery is next.

​​​
Old 11-18-2018, 11:06 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Linners820 View Post
For everyone--what has been your experiences with cravings? For me, they start on day 3 or 4 and I end up blowing it. I know that if I continue to "feed the beast"
After work for me , just sheer determination is keeping me from giving in. Day 16 now. Sorry to read about your little slip up, don't give up ok?

@BreakFree Sucks that you family is driving you crazy, that can not possibly be helpfull. I can't stand arguing/bickering these days I just have to excuse myself, no patience to deal with that at all.

@Drunkexpat Nice to have you with us !

@Bonniefloyd I'll see if I can get that book somewhere