Notices

Class of November 2018 Part 2

Old 11-17-2018, 05:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Omg, breakfree, you ROCK! I don’t know what I would have done! I’m so glad you shared that, because it’s a great reminder that this is possible. We CAN do this. Even annoying, frustrating, spouse’s-work-related events.

*high five*
Old 11-17-2018, 05:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Day 13 - Good morning everyone. One day at a time. Came up with a list of chores for my day off from work yesterday, and was happy to slowly but surely cross them off as the day progressed. I like that sense of accomplishment, even if it is trivial little things.

Great suggestion on the Rational Recovery book Kaily. That's where the AV term we hear so much on this site originated from.

So many good book suggestions here. I've ready many of them over the past few years, as I've tried and tried to stop drinking. Reading about this addiction, and talking about this addiction, has been enlightening, but it hasn't gotten me to where I need to be. It's the action, of course. It's taking concrete, specific actions to change my behavior that will ultimately get me to where I want to be. It used to annoy me, when I would spill my guts on SR about my latest failure, and the response that I would get was "what's your plan"? I didn't want to have to actually think about working at this. I just wanted reassurance that others had failed similarly and that, somehow, it would be okay. Reading about other people succeeding and the beauty of life on the 'other side' brought tears, and hope. But that was it. Just reading and giving encouraging responses to others. And then time going by, with no real changes to my behavior. And ultimately failing again. I'm attacking it differently this time. I'm not going to be intimated by "a plan". I'm going to work at my recovery strategy slowly, a little bit at a time. Just get something down on paper, and add to and subtract from it as necessary. It's not an enormous task.

And, with that said, off to do a little planning for the day. Thinking of all of you today and wishing you the best.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Morning from the USA 😀

wow this thread has moved on so much we have a new thread 😀

Welcome to the newcomers and returnees.

thanks for all the great advice and support yesterday. You are all awesome. 😀 See I'm sounding American now too ☺

kaily that's the method I used last time and love it. Using it again now but need to read it again.

great result obosob.

grear news on the festival bonnie.

hope you got through Friday night Rd2quit.

I can't respond to everyone on my phone but am thinking of you all.

Breakfree thanks for thinking of me ☺
finally got to our hotel about 8 pm last night. Shattered but needed to eat so went to hitel bar after shower and change. Why does the thought of drinking hit when you least expect it ?in the lift pictures of food and drink. Oh go on have a cocktail you're in manhattan for goodness sake. I ordered a sparkling water and got a 750cl bottle 😀 did the bartender know 😀 I was grateful . Have a dull head from little sleep but not alcohol induced. Off to explore now 😀

have a great day everyone.x
Old 11-17-2018, 05:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I second Bonniefloyd's comment. You are a bonafide rock star Breakfree! That was a super challenging day and you conquered it. Congratulations.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:25 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hm, I'll definitely have to heck out that Rational Recovery book.

Good on you breakfree for showing such strength and resolve.

It is also beautiful out by me, BonnieFloyd. Let's make the most of this weather.

I don't think I shared this with you all, but a little over a month ago I was unemployed (because of my drinking) and in a terrible space. I got myself a little evening job to make ends meet and keep my days free for interviews for better jobs and well earlier this week, I got a better job! It pays even better than the job I lost due to drinking. I feel incredibly fortunate that I have been given another opportunity after throwing it all away for the bottle. So for those of you in a similar position as I was, it truly does get better if you stay sober and work hard.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:28 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome RAL! I can imagine that your a bit jet-lagged and hopefully the adrenaline of being in NY will get you through. Enjoy yourself!
Old 11-17-2018, 05:31 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Super congratulations to you breakfree for getting through an unexpected and challenging evening. 😃 I bet you feel amazing this morning. Well done.

grateful near on the job orderfirorder 😃
Old 11-17-2018, 05:33 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by orderfororder View Post

So for those of you in a similar position as I was, it truly does get better if you stay sober and work hard.
Congrats orderfororder! And thanks for this quote. Hope you carry this with you and revisit it when times get difficult and the urge comes calling.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I just want to say... I LOVE YOU GUYS!

These posts have encouraged and strengthened me so much! We are building a small deck and hope to finish before Old Man Winter really sets it, but Mother Nature has not been our friend this fall! Gotta list a mile long of "to-do's" but know in my mind that I need to work on balance. It can't be all be work and no rest and/or play. It's a challenge!
Old 11-17-2018, 06:16 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Day 3. I meant to check in last night but didn't get a chance.
Reading the thread this morning has been so inspiring! You all are amazing. ❤

My biggest trigger today I imagine will be either that it's a Saturday "so why not" or another sports Mom that I have a long practice with. How I'm planning to deal with that is either drop my kids off and pick them up or ask hubby to go instead. I'm not above total avoidance today. I will stay hydrated and well fed. Listen to a sober audiobook. Plus check in here throughout my witching hour. If I dont accomplish anything else today I want to be able to say day 4 tomorrow.

Thinking of you all and wishing you an awesome day.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:23 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

From Part 1:

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
For anyone new to monthly threads...

just to explain - we close threads at about 500 posts...then immediately open a part 2
D
Thanks I was puzzling over this part 1, part 2, part 3 stuff.

So this seems like these must be the most popular threads as they have over 500 posts in a half of a month. Is this "where it all happens" then? I take it there is not an OP that creates a central topic. So do people just take the thread wherever they want? (Within reason, of course).
Old 11-17-2018, 06:54 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Chaisson, I am very sorry to hear about your marriage difficulties. I seems really hard for some people to understand what addiction does. I hid my drinking for years. My wife doesn't really understand yet but she is giving me my space to heal.

Way to go BreakFree, it sounded like a difficult situation and it sounds like you did great.

We are going on vacation over Thanksgiving and I am determined to not drink which is going to be a challenge since vacations = drinking for me. (Ok - anything = drinking for me) My plan is to simply keep as busy as I can and remember what its like to wake up sick and hungover and not able to do anything productive all day. I am grateful that most of the withdrawal symptoms are gone. I stopped taking the Naltrexone last Tuesday and have not needed it. I'm going to bring it with me just in case. It really worked well to control the cravings I had when I quit.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:12 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good morning, my fellow sober November-ists. I slept great last night and already cooked some tasty bacon and eggs and coffee for breakfast this morning. Looking forward to a sober Saturday. Plan is work, and then jumping back into my new video game.

Great group here. So nice to wake up to so many helpful posts. If you need help, ask for it. If you can help someone else even by just saying "I hear you", then do that. And remember you don't have to take that first drink no matter what.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:30 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
From Part 1:

Thanks I was puzzling over this part 1, part 2, part 3 stuff.

So this seems like these must be the most popular threads as they have over 500 posts in a half of a month. Is this "where it all happens" then? I take it there is not an OP that creates a central topic. So do people just take the thread wherever they want? (Within reason, of course).
Its a support thread for anyone who is trying to get sober or has relasped and is trying again in November.

Anyone can join in, people chat about whatever is on their mind.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:39 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BreakFree View Post

ReadyAtLast and Themechanic… Where are you? Please check in! It’s unlike you not to be here. C[/I][/B]
I'm here BreakFree still sober as can be. Nice of you to think of me. I didn't post anything the last few days but I was reading everything here. I had the same triggers as a lot of people here last friday. That mission accomplished feeling after a long hard week and then the alcohol in celebration. I missed it at lot yesterday. To make matters worse I woke up with a headage and a cold so I feel hungover without even having a drink. SO I decided to make the best out of it with my family, I took them on a roadtrip to a nature presurve I know from a long time ago and we had a long hike. I pointed out some wild dear to my GF and she was amazed by them, I don't find that a big deal at all I grew up around those things. We stopped for some drinks and despite everybody drinking beer and wine I had hot chocolate for the first time since I was a kid.

Now it's Saturday night and I'm temped again, I won't drink, I said I won't so I won't but to be honest I kinda want to. I owe it to my liver not too. I look at it like this, I already drank all my drinks that I'm allowed to drink in a lifetime, so that's that.

Good to see everybody working so hard at staying sober.

@BonnieFloyd If that Alan Carr book is helpfull to you I'm going to get it too, I only ever read the smoking one not the alcohol one.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:27 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Really frustrating day at work. I definitely had thoughts of drinking as I was walking out the door. But instead I'm home safe and sober and will stay that way. No matter what.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:28 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BreakFree View Post
GhostFace… Welcome! I’m so glad you are here! I’m so sorry to hear of your mother’s passing Alcohol DEFINITELY keeps me from being my best self! I love your Saturday morning plans! Thank you so much for the positive vibes! They help so much
Thank you!

Day 6 for me and I accomplished so much today. Woke up at 6 AM, went to the gym, did some studying and paid bills. I'm looking forward to this journey and ready to tackle the obstacles that are coming my way. Next step is to leave the cigarettes but I need to conquer one demon at a time. I'm so happy with the support this group provides
Old 11-17-2018, 02:50 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Sounds like a great day, GhostFace. Keep doing the next right thing!
Old 11-17-2018, 03:08 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Mechanic — I really like easyway so far. This Naked Mind is similar in its approach, and I prefer Annie Grace’s writing style, but that’s a personal preference. Anyway, I’m already nearly finished with easyway and would definitely recommend it, especially if you had success with the one about smoking.

Casey, sorry your day is frustrating. Way to stay determined though.

Ghostface — yay for productive days! It’s nice being sober and getting stuff done.

As for me, the cravings are there, a little less persistent today. I spent the day outside enjoying the weather with my family. We went out to lunch earlier, sat outside on the patio, and oh WOW, everyone was drinking. (Aside from children, the staff, this one couple, and me)

I would normally like to have at least 3 glasses of wine at such a place. I didn’t really want it today, but found it interesting to watch everyone else. My iced tea was good though, and I didn’t need a nap later, which I would have been so tired if I had wine.

Husband and I are heading out to dinner shortly.

I will definitely make it to day 6.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:42 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hey Guys!

So glad to be able to log on and keep up with everyone! I'm so proud of our mighty group! I wish I had the energy to stay and "chat" but I'm just so tired. I look forward to meeting you back here in the AM with a fresh mind and a cup of coffee!

Good Night and Sweet Dreams Everyone