Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #8

Old 11-23-2018, 02:49 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Have a good time wrapping it up, FBL!
Old 11-23-2018, 10:10 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
p***enger

I love your energy FBL. You send out good vibes!

Stargazer, tell me -- do you at least get product discounts? As I recall, your operation has a tomato bisque soup that would be just right for this time of year.

Glee -- how are you? You sounded last time like you wanted a duvet day. I hope you got what you need!

Happy birthday, Gilmer!

Carlos, I hope you're still basking.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:10 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Thanks, Cour!
Old 11-23-2018, 03:15 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Jinxed myself. Turned out to be a busier day than anticipated. Couple of call outs and we had lines down the aisles for a spell. Yes, I do get a discount Courage, and thoroughly enjoy the tomato soup. We have a tomato/feta soup with is crazy good.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:39 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Crap, lost my post....

Anyway, best to all. Happy birthday, GF and GG.

Good luck with health stuff, GF.

Oh how I want to hose down a turkey. Can that be in the figurative, GG?

Hope you get a day off to do nothing soon, SG.

Happy booking, FBL. Haha, I would have loved the arcade day. I owned quite a few pinball machines over the years. Tommy had nothing on me.

Still basking, Cour. NE is the best!!! Haha, I do not use my exclamation points indiscriminately.

Have a nice weekend, all.

Carlos
Old 11-24-2018, 08:47 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

You have my full permission to hose down as many turkeys as have it coming, Carlos!

So pleased for you!
Old 11-26-2018, 03:39 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Book project #1 should go off to the printer this week. Waiting for final corrections from the boss.

Just a light dusting of snow here last night. Just to our south they really got hammered with blizzard conditions.

Have a great Monday, all!
Old 11-26-2018, 07:57 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
p***enger

Post-book, post-holiday, post-son/dog/wife arrivals -- still super-edgy. I get the sensation on the street like someone might punch me for no reason, so I'm flinching all the time. I want to hide from the days. Violent images and thoughts intrude on ordinary moments.

Fortunately, sobriety, SR, AA have taught me: Trying to "figure out" why I'm in this mental state is purposeless. It's not uncommon, and there's no one, myself included, to blame. My state doesn't have to determine my actions. I just need to walk through today, one step at a time. I can intentionally direct my energy towards positive things -- nurture those. If I feel worse or my behavior is affected, I should ask for help.

Thanks for listening!
Old 11-26-2018, 08:38 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

What a profoundly helpful and practical post, Courage!
Old 11-26-2018, 09:12 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
p***enger

A few obvious things -- it was like pulling teeth to think of them. And 15 minutes later I'm attacking myself about some fault again.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:38 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Some folks have used centering programs like meditation to help refocus and redirect their energies Courage. I have not had the discipline to begin meditating again, but it's on my list. I had an upper level psych course in college where we began each class by meditating for ten minutes. It really put myself and the entire class into a different mind set. I hope you find something to shift your current perceptions of the everyday world.

Good news FBL on the book project nearing completion. I hope your boss is happy with the final resulting work.

I have been making an effort to sit under my daylight at least fifteen minutes or so a morning each morning while reading SR. It seems to be helping me deal with my depression. Perhaps it is a placebo effect, but whatever, I will take it.

I have gotten a lot done so far on my first day off in a while. Making all those appointments that constantly build up, dropping jackets off at the cleaners , car maintenance, regular laundry. I was up until 12:20 a night ago ironing work shirts. I usually do about 30 at a time, so I have to have a streak of determination lined up to plow through. I don't know why I constantly let them back up so much, but it's all good.

Had our yearly conference with my daughter's teachers and advisers yesterday. She is in the gifted program, and is knocking it out of the park. She also has great social skills for a 13 year old and picks up social cues easily. I feel as though she has tremendous opportunities ahead of her if she can avoid alcohol and drugs and teenage pregnancy. Her seventeen year old brother, whom is generally an A/B student, recently has had his head up his butt and is barely C level in most of his classes. Despite my pleas that junior year is one of the most important in college selection, he just doesn't seem motivated. He spends most of his downtime home, either on the computer or his phone, gaming. At least I know he's not out drinking and getting high like I was at his age. Hopefully, inspiration will strike him in the short term.

Glee, how are you making out at work? Is your hiring manager in a position to look at your potential promotion yet? How are you dealing with your medical issues and yearly hockey stress?

Carlos, glad to see you so happy. I bet it was fun showing NE your old haunts in P-burg. Are you a Pitt alum also?

Hi Kathy!

Have a good day all!
Old 11-28-2018, 06:11 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

You too, SG!
Old 11-28-2018, 03:49 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Administrator

Cour

D
Old 11-29-2018, 04:38 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Looks like the book project will FINALLY be done today. The boss wasn't feeling inspired to write an Author's Note, so I did one for him! Will find out later this morning if he liked it.

Have a great Thursday, all!
Old 11-29-2018, 05:43 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

Still no word on the job. The dept is down 2 managers and possibly a third who is a strong for a job in another department. I’m sure this has an impact on the decision. I’m feeling blasé and quasi-accepting about the situation.

The medical stuff has been a weird ride. I was diagnosed with an inflammatory arthritis a few years ago. I was given the option to take a disease modifying medication or use only pain reliever. I chose to take minimal meds and thr pain and stiffness have gradually, imperceptibly increased. Last week the doctor told me I had joint damage and it was imperative to address it.

He gave me a cortisone shot and pain reliever, and they worked instantaneously. Overnight I have range of motion that I thought were lost to aging and weight gain. It’s amazing. I did go to a rheumatologist as directed in spite of this improvement. He agreed with the previous arthritis diagnosis and prescribed a disease modifying medication to prevent further joint damage. It has some weird side effects. I’m working my way through my headspace to become willing to try this course of treatment. I don’t know how else to describe my process!

Courage - kudos to you for the insight to recognize that you just needed to keep putting one foot in front of the other. I’ve been doing the same thing on the roller coaster couple of weeks I’ve had from being in the pits due to pain and fatigue to being elated at the reduction in pain to the anxiety of feeling different sensations in my joints.

Fbl - You have 30 work shirts?

Fbl - Glad you had such a nice trip home for the holidays.

Who asked if Carlos was a Pitt man? That’s like asking if Santa is a Christmas man! Lol!!

Here’s to sobriety for us and our loved ones.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:23 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

I hope the side effects fade soon, Glee.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:32 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Well, the boss loved "his" Author's Note! Actually, I've written them before, but this is the first time I surprised him with one. We talk nearly every day, so I know him pretty well. Our minds think alike in regards to our work. He's always treated me with respect, so I don't mind going the extra mile when called upon. The book should finally be off to the printer later today. Now I can concentrate on my pet project. We've already sold 300 copies and the book and it isn't even due until late February!

Have a great Friday, gang!
Old 11-30-2018, 05:22 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Your book sounds like it fits a real niche that’s never been filled before now. No wonder there’s a high pre-publication demand!
Old 11-30-2018, 05:04 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

FBL - It’s so cool that you are in sync with your boss and that you both share a passion for the work. I’m also passionate about what I do, It’s not something that could be a fun hobby like your job, but I find it’s true that if you do what you love you’ll never work a day in your life. I’ve been fortunate to have staff who are also passionate and I truly value working with them. I bet your boss truly values you.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:59 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
p***enger

Congrats on the book completion, FBL! You work fast!

Carlos

sg,
Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
I was up until 12:20 a night ago ironing work shirts. I usually do about 30 at a time...
I don't suppose you'd come to my place?

I'm glad you like the daylight. I never use mine, been thinking I'll give it away. Meditation helps me a lot, though, just like you say. It doesn't change mood but it helps mood not run the show, if you know what I mean. "Whatever, I will take it" -- exactly!

It was interesting to read about your kids. They sound like good kids. Good young people are my favorite things! They give me hope

Glee, what have you decided on for your arthritis treatment? It's amazing to read your patience with yourself and others... about the job, medical decisions, everything. Mental balance is hard. Do you still go to AA meetings?

Kathy, I hope your weekend jingles