Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #8

Old 11-17-2018, 01:43 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Welcome, DriGuy!

That entertainment center sounds like a dream!

I'm hoping to see Bohemian Rhapsody at the 4 or 5 pm show tomorrow. My mind automatically defaulths to hoping it's still early enough to be a matinee--but the fact is I've got four unlimited free passes, so all it will cost me is the popcorn.

Now the concession clerks just shovel out the buckets of popcorn to the customer; we now have big butter stations where you can salt your own and pump as much butter as you want!

I tend to go a little bit overboard. I'm like a little kid!
Old 11-18-2018, 12:17 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Hi DriGuy and welcome!

I love "Tightwad Tuesday." I wish they cut prices at my local theater. For me, it's just my Saturday.

That is quite the itinerary FBL. I hope the weather gods allow your Corolla to traverse the highways of the Upper Midwest with no issues.

I am glad that you will be able to get to the mountains for the holiday Kathy. Setting realistic expectations for yourself is wise, and will allow for an enjoyable time for yourself and your guests.

Courage, can't think of a worse place on the east coast to spend Thanksgiving than sitting at JFK. Enjoy your son's visit. I like the chicken idea. Have you always shunned turkey on Thanksgiving?

Crazy busy at work. My boss always goes into this perverse mindset during these times where he just criticizes any minute mistake instead of trying to support the team. He is such a morale killer to the management staff. To answer your question from earlier in the week Courage, I am not a big fan of the holidays, mostly because of all the additional work and stress involved. It is what it is, and I just have to remind myself that it isn't worth drinking over.

Early shifts the next couple of days. It's going to be ugly. Most folks are just realizing that Thanksgiving is this week.

Have a good Sunday everyone!
Old 11-18-2018, 05:16 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Spent nearly 7 hours at the arcade yesterday. I won all 6 of our air hockey games, so my buddy had to buy me lunch. I also racked up the daily high scores on several different machines. The place was packed, probably due to our crummy weather.

I'm with you DriGuy. I love movies. In fact, I've now got over 6,000 DVD/Blu-rays in my collection. In addition to classic movies, I also have complete runs of many old TV shows. I got rid of my cable years ago and don't miss it one bit. My Mom (and older brother) used to take me to the movies quite often when I was a kid. Not just Disney movies either, I saw most of the popular films of the era (1970s/1980s).
Old 11-18-2018, 08:13 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
p***enger

stargazer, I'm with you on "not a big fan of holidays." Just grateful every day that I'm not a crazy drunk anymore -- that'll do me. Re turkey, I never roasted one. Never have enough people around -- usually it's just me & my mate. I tried to cook a goose, many years ago, and it was so greasy it hopped out of the pan onto my kitchen floor. Very Eraserhead!

Now that you mention it, JFK will probably be quite peaceful by 4 p.m. on Thanksgiving day. Maybe we'll all go and have dinner there at one of those airport restaurants.

FBL, you rule the arcade!
Old 11-18-2018, 08:22 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

In recent years my daughter has taken over the turkey duties for our Thanksgiving madhouse.

She decided that she wants to make it extra-special and brine the turkeys.

The second year I only had one brining bag, but I did also have a regular brown-in roasting bag that fit.

She filled the brining bag with brine, and my son gently dropped the turkey in. She tied up the bag and put it in the garage to steep overnight.

She then filled the regular roaster bag with brine. My son dropped the turkey in--and it burst right through the bottom and plopped in a greasy, raw meat splattering mess all over the floor!

So glad I missed that scene! They hosed the turkey down, and just roasted it regular-style.

All was well.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:45 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Congrats on ruling the arcade FBL!

Have a good day all!
Old 11-20-2018, 03:58 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Have a great Tuesday, gang!
Old 11-20-2018, 08:26 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

FBL - Sounds like you are having a blast at the arcade. Very cool.

Sg - Working in a grocery store on Thanksgiving is so different from the rest of the year. Some 20 years ago when I was a clerk/cashier I found it energizing and exhausting. I worked in the bakery where we had no ticketing system, likes wpuld snake around the aisles, and orders would be stored where ever we could find space in the back room halfway across the store . The bakers would work around the clock.

To this dsy for holidays I buy ahead what I can. I will not be among the throngs descending upon the store to buy $300 in groceries tomorrow. Instead I値l be working customer service for the people who are home, done with shopping, and going through their old mail, who decide to look into their retirement plans. (Lol.)

I have had a rough couple of trips to the doctor over the past couple weeks. Some stuff I thought was aging is turning out to be stuff I need to treat. I知 grateful to be sober, practicing the right behavior of going to the doctor, and willing to consider these recommendations. I知 also glad that I知 not drowning in blame or self loathing for health things I can稚 control and staying focusing on the solutions. I知 so grateful I put down the bottle and learned how to care for myself.

Hwve a great day everyone!
Old 11-20-2018, 10:29 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I hope everything is well-taken care of, Glee. Feel better soon!
Old 11-21-2018, 03:38 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Getting ready to head out on my road trip.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!
Old 11-21-2018, 03:39 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Good luck, FBL, and have a great time!
Old 11-21-2018, 06:34 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Safe travels FBL!

You are so right about working in a grocery store Glee! Adding to the chaos yesterday, I spent hours pulling every stitch of romaine salad from our shelves. I never realized how many auxiliary products of ours have romaine in them. Things like our popular turkey club sandwich, which has one partial leaf in it. Most of our salad blends have small amounts of romaine in them. This is the third time in over a year that tainted romaine has been pulled from the shelves. I joked with a coworker that romaine is the herpes of the produce world, lying dormant for long periods, but just waiting to hatch an unexpected outbreak. It's scary how flimsy the food safety laws are in this country. Thirty five percent of chicken processing facilities in this country failed federal inspections. However, except for the recent kosher chicken scare, the public seems blissfully unaware. I guess the old adage of what doesn't kill us makes us stronger holds true.

I am glad that you are taking steps to deal with your health issues Glee. Having a sober, rational approach to them will hopefully lead to positive outcomes. Your note about folks looking at their retirement accounts was funny, as I have some said mail piled up unopened on my desk. I am guessing that you did not have a wondrous birthday? Hopefully you had a nice dinner out?

After six brutal days, finally off. Time to catch up on cleaning before hosting Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. The sun is shining, though we did have smoke clouds from the California fire hanging overhead yesterday. Crazy that they traveled 3,000 miles across the country. I can't imagine being at ground zero.

Kathy, have you started using your daylight this year? I started a regimen last week and I feel that is already is making a small impact. I need all the tools available to wade through the SAD that plagues me every autumn.

Well, finished a full mug of coffee typing this. Guess I better start being productive.

Have a good day all!
Old 11-21-2018, 08:26 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Happy belated birthday, Glee!

Yes, SG, I've been using my SAD lamp now for a little over a month. I swear by it! My mood has been significantly less bleak, consistently.

I hope everybody has a nice Thanksgiving. You've all earned it!

Cour, have you bought a rottweiler yet to eat the chihuahua?
Old 11-22-2018, 07:06 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
p***enger

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

The dog is leaving us today, as is the young man (but who really cares about him?). The wife is arriving and that means a different kind of domesticity. Despite the fact that I haven't breathed except through a veil of dog-hair for a week, I quite like the little fellow -- he's cute, if rather stupid, and has a simple soul. My husband has enjoyed having the creature around, too -- that will be the giving gift. I now have the power to tease my husband about doggies for the rest of his life!

Glee, I'm sorry to hear that you're having health issues. Good for you for addressing them! Do you like your doctors? I feel much better about all the possible health concerns that may be in my future now that I have a decent, well-qualified internist who knows my history.

FBL, if you catch this email on your road trip, travel safe and warm and enjoy your trip!

Gilmer, are you buried in a mountain of people and food? If you are, I hope they are loving and delicious, respectively.

Happy day to all, with gratitude for all you are and all you do!
Old 11-22-2018, 07:24 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
p***enger

stargazer -- I was adding to wish you in particular good rest today, and lost my editing window. I hope you take time for something joyful -- an epic fall drive, a cup of hot apple cider, a symphony on the couch -- all 3!

And thanks to all for sobriety
Old 11-22-2018, 07:44 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

So far so good with the food and guests.

I hope you have a very nice bonding time with your daughter-in-law.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
p***enger

My bond with the dog trumps daughter-in-law in my son's eyes, I'm pretty sure. I'm not likely ever to be asked to do wife-sitting duty, after all.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:48 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Hope all enjoyed their day yesterday. Though we had a smaller group this year, the same amount of work goes into cleaning the house and food prep and dish cleanup. It is an all day affair.

Back to work early this morning. Should be one of the slowest days of the year for me, as everyone will be chasing discounts elsewhere.

Have a good day all!
Old 11-23-2018, 02:18 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I hope your slower pace is a welcome respite for you today, SG.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:47 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Had a short, but great trip home for Thanksgiving. Everything went as planned. Even got to see my niece's brand new baby boy (he's 4 months old).

Now it's back to work as book project #1 nears completion.