Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #8

Old 11-13-2018, 02:51 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Skipped out on lunch and went to see "Bohemian Rhapsody" at noon. I shared a theater with five other people. Perks of having off on a Tuesday.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:41 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
Skipped out on lunch and went to see "Bohemian Rhapsody" at noon. I shared a theater with five other people. Perks of having off on a Tuesday.
So how was it, Star? I've heard wildly varying reviews so far.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:06 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I hope to see it this Saturday or Sunday with my youngest son. We're both Queen fans!

Our plan is to go around 4-5 o'clock--hopefully not too crowded.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:14 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
p***enger

That sounds like such a perfect thing to do sg! I wanna go to a popcorn matinee.

literally
Old 11-14-2018, 09:25 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I felt the movie was very good overall. It really was sad watching the decline of Freddie Mercury, though the movie makers did not dwell on that aspect very much. The movie was more a movie of the history of Queen. Queen happened just as I got my first FM radio in the early 1970's, and they were a soundtrack to my high school and college years. Watching what was going on in Freddie's life and the songs he was writing and singing at that point gave new meaning to me of what they were about. I admit I had a few tears running down my cheek by the end of the movie. Watching someone drinking themselves nearly to death is painfully hard for me to watch. The directors oddly and abruptly ended the movie basically with the Live Aid concert in 1985. Overall, a very good movie that really unexpectedly gut punched me and left me mentally and emotionally somber the rest of the day. If you are looking for uplifting, this is not the movie you want to see. ( There are many lighthearted parts in the movie too, and I learned many things about Queen that I had not known previously.)
Old 11-14-2018, 02:17 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Just read through the new thread, albeit, the Evelyn Wood version.

Sorry about that c-note error consequence, SG. Reading that even flipped me off.
Looking forward to catching BR at the flick house soon too.

Had a ham sandwich with lousy yellow mustard on a plane from Pittsburgh to Tampa yesterday. Average at best, but, the Pumpkin Gob with Cream Cheese in the center was the bomb. Half actually...shared it with NE.

Glad you found that credit card thief, GG. Doesn't law enforcement always suspect the spouse out of the gate?

Just finished trips to Omaha and Pittsburgh with NE and it's nice to be back having that big yellow lamp in the sky.

Dog therapy should be perfect, Cour...plus, a shiny new floor of chemical glow to do his or her business on - cool beans.

I spent 5 days in Omaha to check out NE's family and friends a couple weeks ago and just returned from a 6-day visit to Pittsburgh to return that gesture to NE.

Simply put, we had a blast..parties, dinners, working out with my old gym-rat gang up north, football games, family visits, we spent a day with my youngest and her bf, stayed with her sister, had a family dinner on my side, visited her mom and brother, Flight 93 site, concert, paid our respect at Tree of Life Synagog in Pgh, etc. On Monday she even came with me to say hi and visit with my old therapist, then attend the AA meeting that was my first, and home-group when I lived there.

Haha, and believe it or not, we're still wondering when our first disagreement will happen. As a friend of mine put it...you two are very fortunate to have met.

We're taking this gift one day at a time. No grand plans...just happy for each day that we get to share.

Gotts to get ready to hit the gym...body-combat tonight.

Best to all.

Carlos
Old 11-14-2018, 02:26 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Carlos, that’s wonderful!

Thank you so much for bringing us up to date!

I cannot tell you how thrilled I am that you and NE have dovetailed so well into each other’s lives! It’s so nice to think of you just relishing and savoring, and not feeling pointy-headedly like you’ve got to shove everything into a box!

Oh, and I’m sorry about the mustard!
Old 11-15-2018, 04:46 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

No word on the job yet. There is an extremely large project that the hiring manager is coordinating. It seems the decision on the role has fallen off the radar.

SG - A write up and threat of no raise because of a single $100 error is very small minded. I’m annoyed for you. It’s definutely not worth drinking over. Glad you made the right decision.

Gilmer - Glad you found your credit card. You sound good!

FBL - Your project sounds like it’s going well. You always maintain good spirits.

Courage - A doggy visitor sounds sweet!

Carlos - Your visits to NE and PA sound really wonderful. I am happy to see how happy and at ease you are with NE. It’s so nice.

My mood has been wonky over the past few weeks. All this talk about mental health resonates. I find that saying I’m feeling depressed helps me. It forces me to slow down and figure out what direction to take. A break usually helps me feel better.

Welcome Jay!

Have a good day everyone!

Old 11-15-2018, 08:17 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
p***enger

Nice to read from you, Gleefan! I agree, acknowledging my mood issues helps me cope with them. Once I accept the lack of balance instead of fighting/denying it, I can plan how to adjust my expectations.

Carlos, what happy news about you and NE! Keep on truckin'

Hugs to all

Old 11-16-2018, 01:07 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Five years' sobriety for me today!
Old 11-16-2018, 03:51 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats, Kathy!

Carlos, so great to hear about you and NE.

Have a great Friday, all!
Old 11-16-2018, 07:42 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
p***enger

Congratulations, Kathy!

Thanks for the music and the smiles, Roy. What a good guy!
Old 11-16-2018, 01:46 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Five years' sobriety for me today!
Congrats, GG! We're both heading toward six.

Also, thanks for the kind words about NE and me.

Oh, thanks, GF and LE too.

Gotts to boogie...that man/horse thing again.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:19 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Congrats again Kathy! That is an amazing accomplishment.

Carlos, glad to hear that you and NE are getting along so very well. There are few things as powerful as the start of a great relationship.

Glee, sorry that your job search is hanging in an indefinite limbo. Big companies seemingly lack the human touch at times. It does not engender great loyalty from their employees as a result. Hopefully good news will be forthcoming.

In the midst of a brutal six day stretch. Who know Thanksgiving was such a big food holiday? Doing it with almost twenty percent less employee hours this year is draining mentally, physically and emotionally. My boss is totally tone deaf to the situation, and just tries to drive the management team harder and harder. Most of us are burnt out and the holiday season is just starting. It's easy to see why I got lost in the bottle for so long.

FBL, are you traveling to your Mom's for Thanksgiving this year? Anyone else have big plans for the holiday?

Have a good day all!
Old 11-17-2018, 04:31 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

We've got another dusting of snow here this morning. The local oldies station has flipped to all Christmas music...too soon, IMO.

Planning on a full day at the arcade today. My friend/co-worker is also going and I plan to kick his butt at air hockey!

Have a very busy couple of travel days planned. Wednesday, I'll head to Minnesota with a stop at a former co-worker's house. He has some 1973 baseball cards for me. Then I'll take Mom out for dinner, then the rest of the evening at Buffalo Wild Wings with a couple of my oldest friends from high school. I've also sent out an open invitation to any of my SRC peeps to stop by if they are in the area. Then on Thursday morning I'll go eat breakfast with Mom at the home, then I'll take her to my brother's house for the traditional Turkey dinner, then back on the road home to Milwaukee and back to work on Friday to put the finishing touches on book project #1. Looks like okay driving weather, so that will help. Wow, I got exhausted just typing all that!
Old 11-17-2018, 05:43 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I'll be headed to the mountains on Tuesday. Expecting the entire extended family shindig. I don't plan to push myself too hard, though. I figure I'll just come downstairs for an hour or two each day (granted, that's what I'm feeling Saturday morning, before my coffee kicks in).
Old 11-17-2018, 08:18 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
p***enger

SG - I wish the damn upper management you work for would dig into their own paychecks to give you all holiday bonuses. I don't suppose that ever happens. How about they just hire a ton of temps?

I notice that you & glee are more thoughtful about your next level down than the toppers are thoughtful of you. Middle-management squeeze. Bleh.

FBL -- what a busy schedule!

Gilmer, I hope you enjoy your company, and let them entertain you, not the other way around.

I work from 10 to 8 p.m. Wednesday. My son's wife arrives Thursday afternoon, so travel to and from JFK will take most of that day for them. I'll probably roast a chicken and make some kind of vegetable casserole -- even though I have no casserole dish & never cook like that. Potatoes. A salad. I could even make a pie. Nothing hard, but better than we usually eat.

There's a dog in my apartment. Dogs are dirty little things!!
Old 11-17-2018, 08:58 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Yes, they are--but they slobber over you with love.

Does the chihuahua bark continuously?
Old 11-17-2018, 09:31 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
p***enger

Just if he hears another dog in the hallway. But we're nervous he'll howl if he's left alone here. And I seem to have become sensitive to dog hair so I'm all puffed up.

The price in sneezes and noise is nothing to pay for the happiness that my son is back in the USA.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:55 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
Tuesday afternoon is my time to go to the movies. My theater calls it "Tightwad Tuesday." No crowds, reduced prices, and free popcorn (upgraded to a large tub for $2). I sometimes have the whole theater to myself, but 5 others might be the average.

I love movies. If we had a movies thread, I could spend half of my time there. I love movies so much that I have a room with a large screen, 11 1/2 feet wide, and a killer sound system, where I watch one movie a day, sometimes two. New DVD projectors have come a long way since their inception.

But with all my AV equipment, I don't have TV. I cut the cord 5 years ago when too much news and never ending commercials started to annoy me to the point where I was ready to start throwing things at the screen. I miss some of the more popular series, but I buy the DVDs of the best ones with the money I save. I have to wait for them, but it's worth it in my case.