Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #8

Old 01-12-2019, 07:45 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

NE has dear friends visiting from, well, Omaha and we all spent such a wonderful evening together. We were very comfortable hosting as a couple and it was sweet. I came home so they could visit like old times and have a beach day today without a dude hanging around.

It was when I got home that I read about Kathy. Not unexpected, but it took my breath away and I was overwhelmed with sadness. I know how at peace she was with her journey and I wanted to be happy for her. I wasn't ready. I needed to feel the loss of our amazing friend.

There are many stories I could tell about my interacting with that lovely, yet kinda crazy woman. One that touches me is her PM when it was looking like NE and I were going to become an item She wrote on how she hope and prayed that I would find the right partner because I deserved it, You could tell in her words that she felt and meant exactly what she wrote, That touched my soul.

Well, today I am praying in the best way that I know how that all of her expectation for an afterlife were met - the fact is, she deserves it!

NE was a great comfort today. She lost her husband to cancer 11 years ago. I wish they had met.

Courage, best with your publication.

Thanks for the family notification, Dee.

Love to all.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:17 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Courage, huge congrats on the book! I feel we are kindred spirits in the publishing world. The 1957 book just came in a few days ago and it looks great! I'm still hard at work on my pet project, trying to savor every moment before I have to let it go.

Carlos, so happy to hear about you and NE. I know I'm not alone when I wish you both peace and happiness.

There's another card show today, but not really feeling it, so will probably sit this one out.

Have a great Sunday, all!
Old 01-14-2019, 03:47 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Wasn't planning on attending the card show yesterday, but I did anyway. Picked up some 1972 Topps Baseball cards. Been working on that set for awhile, but it's a monster (787 cards total) and the higher number cards are more scarce and thus much more expensive. I need about 120 more, so will work on chipping away a little at a time.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:08 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Very strange to post on POST and have that empty chair. Still missing our friend.

Thanks, FBL. I'm very grateful NE and I connected. No grand plans, we're just taking this thing ODAAT.

Another cold spell here. 57 currently and back into the low to mid 40's at night for a few days. My northeast roots love this weather.

Going to work a few hours then I have a new release kickoff for bodypump and bodycombat this evening. My gym, the YMCA, makes these kickoff's special events and we get big turnouts. Rare to have my two favs in the same day. Home at like 9pm then a 5-mile fast walk on the beach at 6:30 tomorrow. A bit much, but I'll take it easy after that.

Congrats on that book, Cour...what's the academic subject matter? Never know if that matriculation bug might creep up again?

Thoughts to all as we continue to grieve the loss of our dear, dear recovery friend.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:28 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Courage - Congrats on completion of the book. That’s a nice accomplishment.

Fbl - You are always working at your goals. I hope you feel the thrill of the hunt piecing together that large set of cards. My dad used to collect baseball cards and I would be his companion on his treasure hunt.

Carlos - I really like the pictures of you and NE. Have fun at your gym events!!

Sg - I hope you’re hanging in there too.

It is a busy time of year and we are short staffed st work - not a good combination. It can be hard to find gratitude and peace when things are overwhelming. I’m working on it.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:31 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

((Glee))
Old 01-15-2019, 08:41 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi everyone -- I haven't been posting as often as I'd like here. This has been an almost-overwhelming time for me on several fronts. Sounds like I'm not alone on that.

Glee - I feel like we should do a gratitude wave. I'll start -- see if I inspire you?
I'm grateful to have known Kathy, to be safe at home every evening, to be able to look back on my days and see nothing vile, to have anything left to offer, and that my family stuck together through the bad times.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:30 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

I'm grateful to have known Kathy too and my life is better for it.
I'm grateful for the lessons learned from so many things here, maybe a signature someone has or a comment made, which moved me or just someone reaching out and caring.
Grateful for the good I have in my life.

I hope I did that right, I've never done a gratitude wave, but it sounds perfect now!
Old 01-15-2019, 10:57 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  
p***enger

^^^ You did beautifully. I've never done one either, I just made it up lol. Why not?
Old 01-15-2019, 10:58 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

I think it's a great idea!
Old 01-16-2019, 03:17 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Tomorrow will be my 11 month sober anniversary and I'm really happy to be getting closer to a year and getting that milestone behind me. I was out recently and someone asked me if I wanted a drink and I said, no thank you. I surprised myself. I thought I would share it with you all and next month, I'll have a year sober under my belt. Love you all! ♥
Old 01-16-2019, 04:27 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations again Aly

D
Old 01-16-2019, 04:28 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Thanks again, Dee!
Old 01-17-2019, 04:02 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

That's great, Aly! I remember what it felt like to make it to a whole year sober. I figured if I could do that, I could do anything!
Old 01-17-2019, 07:09 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I agree with FBL. One year will be huge Aly. You will have shown to yourself that you can make it through every holiday, birthday and vacation without drinking. It will install a sense of confidence in you that will help you going forward. You should be very proud of yourself as you approach a full year.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:10 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much. I'm kind of excited. As I get closer it is getting a little easier, but I can never take my eye off the ball and I have to take it ODAAT. I appreciate your encouragement and experience. You all are the best!
Old 01-17-2019, 04:46 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  
p***enger

That's wonderful, Aly! I'm so glad you're here on SR. Your posts are full of cheer and gratitude, even when I know you have worries. I think sobriety suits
Old 01-17-2019, 04:48 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Thank you, Courage. I'm glad you're here too!! ♥♥♥
Old 01-17-2019, 06:54 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  
p***enger

OK here's something totally off-topic....
Who's made funeral plans? Thinking about it because my husb and I are finally making a will. Should have done it when we had a young dependent, but those were the disasterly days. Anyway, the will isn't very interesting because we don't have much, but it lets me think about what's to be done w/my mortal remains. Back when I was full of suicidal ideation and generally morbid, I dwelled on this a lot, but could never resolve -- I really don't want to be embalmed, but not particularly incinerated or carved up by medical students, either. Basically I want my body left alone -- hell, I won't even get a manicure for fear of strangers touching me! I'd like the corpse laid in a pine box, dropped in a ditch and shovelled over. I thought only Jews could get buried w/out embalming -- but turns out no! Fine in New York, called a direct burial, pretty cheap, and only thing is that it's a fiberboard box not pine.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:29 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Happy 11, Ali. Glad to read that you are feeling confident in your sober skin.

For me, sober life keeps getting better and better.

As SG says...be proud of yourself.

Cour, I've requested to be cremated....and my family and friends have a party, non-alcoholic in nature.