Notices

One Year & Over Part 64

Old 11-06-2018, 10:55 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Mags, it can take a good while to adjust to retirement. I do think it can help to find some things that interest you and then do them

Have a good day, Overs
Old 11-06-2018, 11:04 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Since I already voted, today I went and got my flu shot.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:34 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I have a more lasting solution to maintaining plants and lawn for you Itch..

This method - means no wastage of water. It is storm and drought resistant and is very immune to overgrowth of weeds.

Instead of lawn, why not use

Green concrete.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:34 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Magsie

PJ, hilarious! Love the idea!

Hi overs

Thanks Sassy, i feel like I’ve lost my identity. I’m sure it will come back and I’ll get back on track. I think I’m going to just relax until after Christmas. I’ve got a few projects on the house, a new kitchen and squaring the garden up, I’ll just be supervising you understand.lol

I’m haunted, in a nice way, by a song on the soundtrack A star is born.
Lady Gaga, Bradley Cooper - Shallow (A Star Is Born), I wonder why some music touches our hearts like that.

Andy, continued prayers for you and your family

Hope it’s a good Wednesday for us all. Love and hugs
Old 11-06-2018, 10:07 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I’m sorry you’re feeling lost at sea, Mags. I hope soon you get into the rhythm of being a “lady of leisure” at home without the sense of listlessness.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:40 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Do your best

Morning guys think i just had a bit of wednsday wisdom (i think there should be a thread in newcomers for each day - for newcomers ??)

Also while i have my thinking cap on i want to say thanks to each and everyone of you especially you Andy brother it meant a lot to me seeing you stand shoulder 2 shoulder with me via SR & thats for everyone's problems i dont know about all problems are problems and a problem shared is a problem halved.

Now for why im here lol - i wanted to ask before i make my way to mrs sw i was thinking of bringing my hand/wrist strenghtener i had lying around and on its hardest setting its a great stress reliever aswell as wrist upgrade i personally use a powerball that **** is legit

So im thinking of saying fil i know you downplay your strenght but see what you think of this is it worth me doing ?

If you guys have any ideas that might help through experience i would really appreciate it

Big love Overs
Old 11-06-2018, 10:58 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Wolf,
Sorry you guys are doing family funerals so close together. It's tough for some. Hang in there my friend.

Sassy,
I Just picked the first one that showed what they call xeriscapaing I think. That was a bigger house than we want. They almost all have large basements, many finished out. We are zeroing in on ~ 1600 - 2000 sq feet just because we won't have our separate workshop with slab and big 12X24' finished out portable building like now. We will use the garage for cars and a small workbench. The basement will be for storage so we want that extra place for our toys We are downsizing from two cars and a truck to two Subaru SUV's until we sell this place, then ordering a two engine Tesla model 3 making it AWD. I don't expect to receive our Tesla until a good while later in 2019. Then we'll sell one of the Subarus, and have just two cars for the first time in deacades. But since we are both retired, no need for a third one if one goes in the shop.
But you can see how our lawn work goes down to very little compared to now. Remember, we traveled full time when I retired from the Air Force @ my age 45 for seven years. We had a large Fifth Wheel but it was still 7 years with our family heirlooms and antiques/pictures/Hummels etc. stored with family. We had no problem living in 288 sq ft because we followed the mild weather. Except for three months the great outdoors was our licing room under our awning, and the decor changed every time we stopped. We loved it! Only had room for some jeans and T shirts, one dressy casual each, and one nice pr of shoes the rest sneakers. We had our computers, TVs, dog and music with us. So we've adapted to every adventure just fine. We just want our last house to be good for 20 more years.

Suze,
Thanks but that was an example of the xeriscaping. That house is as nice as what we are looking at. We are only looking at recently remodeled with new roof and Central A/C. We are back to looking in Colorado Springs now that we know the water issues were resolved. They are 1/3 less expensive for the same house and condition than Denver's prices.

FBL,
That's great that you have that many locally. I collect knives and WWII era aluminum dripolator stove top coffee makers. You sound pretty focused. I hope you keep having fun. Most folks don't know what a dripolator is and think it's a percolator. In WWII they had aluminum drives to collect it to make airplanes. At about the same time the newest kitchen device was the electric percolator. So the women convinced their husbands to get them a newfangled perc and they would donate their aluminum pots! Well of course. Men then, as now, know if we take care of them in the kitchen. they'd take care of us in another room! So they became scarce. But still can be found. I have seven complete ones and three missing a lid or strainer. These look like my collection:

Andy,
That was beautiful music Queen wrote and played. Yay for your daughter's win. I too thought you just had girls.

Kathy,
It wasn't a chore, I like getting out and doing physicl labor. But the next day I feel it a lot more than when I was a youngster of 50! We cocoon a lot, and have friends over rarely. But that's changing too. I don't do my oil changes or other crawl under stuff maintenance except sharpening/replacing the blades on the mowers and changing their oil and filters. So my jeans and Ts won't be as stained as before.

Mags,
over here they are called ranch style and those are harder to find. But what we're looking for. Most are three split levels with only a short stair from one to the other. When we can't do those we'll move in with Sassy!

Dee,
Sheesh! Sorry, I know no posts allowed with anything for sale. That never occurred to me until I read that!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
homerdoh.jpg (4.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 11-06-2018, 11:34 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

The plans for Mrs T's funeral are coming together. All the insurance companies, Charities and health care folk have been told of her passing. Transferring our car was slightly more complicated than I expected but I'm mobile again.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:50 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I’m glad you got those important loose ends tied up, Andy. It can seem neverending.

SW, I have heard you talk about the strength and stress relieving benefits of your wrist strengtheners before. Certainly you should discuss them with Mrs. SW!

Do you think she would have reservations about them?

ITCH! You’re getting a TESLA! Congratulations! I hope you enjoy the heck out of it!
Old 11-06-2018, 11:51 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Andy,
That sounds a brilliant way to involve and validate your son's feelings and help him grieve. How'd the revue with the Physical Terrorists go?

Mags,
When in retirement you realize that it isn't vacation, so you won't have it end until you do. Once you stop feeling like you are on holiday, then you've adapted and can take every day as a holiday with no guilt. It took me a year of driving in a hurry in the RV until I slowed down and never drove more than 200 miles a day. It really isn't the destination, but the trip. As long as you stop and smell the life in every area and dally with nature.

PJ,
Riiiight. Some folks do concrete a lot of it and some houses we are looking at have more than most, We like the terraced above ground gardening and piddling around in the yard. Remember it's the Colorado Rocky Mountain high! We do want a covered deck front and back and a sun room. You see, many of the places we look at have HOA fees that take care of the front landscaping, in some cases even more, along with trash pickup and sewer. I could do a tiny house if I were single, or a condo. My SH must nest, and she's earned it, I benefit too.

Mags,
We all define who we are by what we do. I went from being a military senior leader with the authority to give and enforce orders affecting lives. One day I could pick up a phone start a construction project or order our munitions inventoried. And the next day civilians were not responsive or accountable when I tried to get things awry righted. It is like floating unable to anchor to anything. It took a year, but today, 20 years after I retired from the military, I still miss the camaraderie and getting things done and done right with motivated troops. I could develop people in spite of themselves, they couldn't quit or be insubordinate! That was another life. Funny though even now, people ask if I was military retired. Many folks who've been around or in the military recognize that bearing in our posture. I see it too sometimes. I've adapted to retirement, but not to civilians who have little loyalty or honor code in their business dealings. I regularly hear of folks shoplifting a CD or other nothing item for under a few bucks! Their honor is cheap, they sell it for pocket change if they think they can get away with it. I won't lie cheat or steal, or tolerate anyone who does. It's not that hard. Sober.

Wolf,
Is your FIL local to you to visit with? If so just play whatever board/card/Chess/word games he likes. If distant then just be an ear. Validate his feelings and let him work out his own solutions is all I can think of.

2AM and feels like three since we moved all the clocks back an hour last Saturday night early Sunday morn.
Nite all.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:02 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I misunderstood your question, SW. Now that I know it’s for your Father in law, I tend to agree with Itchy. Sometimes well-meaning suggestions are tedious for suffering people to hear.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:11 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Oops!
missed your posts while I was composing.

Andy,
I know the arrangements and details are an obstacle course, but you are doing as well as any. I hope the funeral goes well.

Kathy,
Tesla got me a Tesla! Remember I never buy new, just two year old cars' Well used Model 3s sell for more than a new one because of the long wait, up to a year. As they fill all the waiting orders it will get down to a few weeks to get one, hopefully next summer. We might get a used Model S however. But thanks. A Tesla has been my dream since I started following Musk from PayPal (2002) through Space X and Tesla in 2003, to date. I want it to be my first new car. But a used Model S or X could work. But no new $100k cars. Never would put that much into a depreciating asset. I could lease but that's dead end asset wise. We are also getting a couple of eBikes. 20-28 Moles per hour, pedaling, or power only, or both, with power only range on the one I plan on getting 40 miles without peddling! Charges in 4 hours. I won't mention brands here, but I published my research on them elsewhere online, so if anyone wants to read it just pm me for the link. Same with the house. No more making Dee take time for my peccadilloes! I haven't done politics or religion since last time.

Don't do anything I wouldn't do friends. (remember I have kids!)
Old 11-07-2018, 12:14 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Magsie

Itchy, if I’d had to guess what your profession was I would’ve said military or school headmaster. That’s a compliment, by the way.

Wolfie, it’s definitely worth mentioning the stress reliever, but as you know, we all deal with grief in different ways. You being there to support them is priceless. Love to you and your family.

Andy, pleased you’re getting through all the legal paperwork.

Have a good day my friends. It’s blowing a gale here!
Old 11-07-2018, 12:15 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Sounds thrilling!

The bikes and the gale!
Old 11-07-2018, 12:24 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Magsie

Nice one itchy, hubby wants to get an electric car when there are more charging points around. And maybe a bit cheaper!

Kathy you’re up early today, I guess you didn’t sleep so well take care. Hopefully an afternoon siesta? Sending lots of love. xx
Old 11-07-2018, 12:49 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks guys
Old 11-07-2018, 12:51 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Yes, probably a siesta or two.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:20 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Have a good Hump Day to all! “What day is it.”
Old 11-07-2018, 03:37 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Taking my car in for some overdue maintenance before winter hits. Will put a big dent in my card budget for the month. I may have to cool it on the collecting for a bit.

Let's see now, what day is it again???

Old 11-07-2018, 05:10 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

SW! I just saw your signature! I love it!

Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion ~ Rumi