Notices

Class of November 2018 Part 1

Old 11-04-2018, 07:17 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Day 3. While I did not drink yesterday, I did eat total junk all evening--candy, chips, soda. I guess I felt like I "deserved" it for not drinking but now I just feel almost hungover this morning. So much like I dumped out the last of my cheap box wine on Friday morning, I just dumped all the junk food into the trash a few minutes ago.

Work in a little while. Will probably go to an AA meeting this evening, though much like finally deciding to post in here again yesterday, it's tough to get over that hurdle of shame and walk back into those rooms for the first time in a long time.

Thanks for the welcome back, Dee and Suze. Wishing everyone a safe and sober Sunday. I'm not going to drink today. Even if I want to.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:02 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Day 3. While I did not drink yesterday, I did eat total junk all evening--candy, chips, soda. I guess I felt like I "deserved" it for not drinking but now I just feel almost hungover this morning. So much like I dumped out the last of my cheap box wine on Friday morning, I just dumped all the junk food into the trash a few minutes ago.

Work in a little while. Will probably go to an AA meeting this evening, though much like finally deciding to post in here again yesterday, it's tough to get over that hurdle of shame and walk back into those rooms for the first time in a long time.

Thanks for the welcome back, Dee and Suze. Wishing everyone a safe and sober Sunday. I'm not going to drink today. Even if I want to.
Hi Casey, I did this on Friday night, had 2 chocolate bars, a plate of chips (fries) ,am in UK! and a plateful of toast and butter .I felt so hungover yesterday with a terrible head all day.

At least it is better than drinking but going to make some better food choices from now on
Old 11-04-2018, 08:27 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Day 5

Good morning, Today is day 5 and I’m feeling pretty hopeful...I have quit a lot of times before but this time I need it to be different.
I have so many reasons to stay sober.

I try to write my feelings and thoughts and don’t know where to start.

So so I will just keep on reading.

Sundays are usually my day to drink so I will not underestimate my AV when it comes whispering.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:28 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Does anyone else have this? When I see someone on TV drinking wine or I'm reading a book and someone pours a wine in the book or even reading a thread on here about someone just enjoying 1 glass of wine - it really makes me want it too. I have to switch off my mind to it and say I will not drink and then these situations occur that normalize it.
All the time! And it will only get worse leading up to Christmas with all the ads on TV for cheap drink-which should be banned, just like they banned advertising smoking.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:48 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hopeforme2014, Sunday is tough for me as well. I always like to drink when watching NFL football. Of course, pretty much every day I drink so every day is hard.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:50 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Day 1

Had a couple beers last night, so it’s back to Day 1 for me. I can’t say that the last 4 months have been for naught, however. I kept remembering drinking as a solution to my constant anxiety; the only thing that worked. Giving in taught me that isn’t so true. Fact is, it did almost nothing for me. I have no memory of that ever being the case before. Is my AV such a good liar that it has me remembering things differently than they really were?

Well, I have no regrets. At least not yet. We’ll just have to see how things go.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:33 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

safe in bed. Day 3 tomorrow in the cards. Night all
Old 11-04-2018, 10:44 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hi tree beard. Sorry to hear you had a drink after 4 months. Good to have you back.

I had 3.5 years sober but drank 2 glasses of wine in april 2016. It did nothing for me. I didn't really think much about it apart from genuinely believing in was fine. I had no desire to drink again and nothing bad happened.

a few weeks later I drank again. Couple of glasses no problem. Then a few weeks later I got really drunk and decided that was that. 2 years later I've been stopping and starting and just in a merry go round and it's getting harder and harder. I was drinking 2 bottles of wine a night up until a week ago.

just my story but I hope it helps you.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:46 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Thanks kaily. Must have a good plan in place.

Night strawberry another day in the bag
Old 11-04-2018, 11:20 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rd2quit View Post
Hopeforme2014, Sunday is tough for me as well. I always like to drink when watching NFL football. Of course, pretty much every day I drink so every day is hard.
I hear ya. Sunday’s are a big trigger day for me. NFL is a double down on that trigger. I feel really good today but definitely planing for some reaffirmations on why I shouldn’t drink later today.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:46 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Sending you all positive thoughts to get through Sunday. 8 pm in the UK. going to have an early night.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:39 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry you drank Treebeard.

It took me a while to get on top of my lifelong anxiety - longer than four months but way less than the 20 years I drank for.

For me the key was building a new life. My old life was only tolerable when I drank, and just taking the drinking out made it worse.

Now you know alcohols not the solution, I hope you can discover new ways ways to be less anxious this time round.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:55 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

So according to the sober app on my phone, I have been sober this time around for 1 day, 8 hours, 41 minutes and 48 seconds...so the November class is clearly my people. Reader's digest version -- I was sober for five years after drinking destroyed my marriage, my relationship with my family and several friendships. Moved to a new location during that time, started a new job, new friends. Went through a very painful break-up with a guy I was dating and have been relapsing on and off for the past two years. Self-enrolled in an intensive outpatient program last summer which helped me stay sober for several weeks. Then treatment and aftercare ended, I had a day of bad anxiety and all of the tools go out the window. I have to keep reminding myself that the alcohol feeds the depression and anxiety and makes them much, much worse. Even just one day sober I can feel a huge difference in my mood and energy. So happy to be here and getting to know everyone. Don
Old 11-04-2018, 05:03 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome ravenstorm

D
Old 11-04-2018, 06:39 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Going to bed sober. Thanks to everyone who checked in today. Will talk to you tomorrow!
Old 11-04-2018, 07:48 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Ugh. Difficult day. In summary:

1) I did not drink.

2) I drove three hours in complete cloud cover, rain, and darkness in 45 degree weather back to the apartment for work this week. End of daylight savings time and the dreary weather means Winter is coming in the Midwest.

3) My left elbow is in immense pain after doing a bunch of yard work yesterday (pruning, raking, clearing gutters, etc.). The weight of a cell phone is enough to get me to cringe... going to immediate care tomorrow to have it checked out.

4) As I have said before, sobriety intensifies my desire to fulfill certain unmet life goals... moving to the Southwestern US being one of them. That in itself is anxiety inducing for me as I become less exposed to sunlight and spend more times indoors alone with my thoughts. (Talking to the daughter today who is in AZ where it is 75 degrees didn't help. )

OK, rant over. Have a good week everyone!
Old 11-04-2018, 08:31 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Day 3!
Get kids to school the. Long dog walk .
Will check in with my coffee later ! X
Old 11-04-2018, 10:50 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you considered one of those SAD lamps TJ?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-pro...t/pac-20384604

D
Old 11-04-2018, 11:13 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Morning everyone.

tj I agree with dee. The sad lamps are brilliant. When the clocks go back in feel like a switch goes off in my head. I hour in front of the lamp each morning ensures I don't get depressed.

hope you have a good day strawberry.

thanks for sharing your story don. I can relate to so much you say.

sleep well casey 😀

hope you all have a great day.
ral.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:15 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Good morning, all! Infant sobriety continues. Focusing this week on starting the 30 Day Sobriety Program that Jack Canfield co-wrote. I expect by the end of it to have developed a solid recovery plan for myself. Hope everyone has a Magnificent Monday! Don