Notices

Class of November 2018 Part 1

Old 11-08-2018, 05:36 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Good Morning Everyone :)

This is my first time posting on the November thread. I hope you don't mind me jumping right in with yesterday's posts so I can get to know you all!

I am a forum old-timer who has yet to become alcohol-free. As frustrating as it is, I am glad that I have continued to be aware of my behavior all these years and have refused to allow myself to hit rock bottom. Unfortunately, though, for me, the elevator has only gone down. I really need to stop. I read that a lot of you are doing the "30 Day Sobriety Solution". I had a really good alcohol-free streak when I read it the first time. I'm going to start that again today. Today is my Day 1.

Shilla… I am glad you won’t stop fighting. I won’t either!

ShenzyT… Gosh, I can relate to the difference between being hungover and not when the kids are getting ready for school. This morning I couldn’t wait for them to leave as I am feeling pretty hungover :( I know what you mean about “channeling that feeling”! One of my struggles is when I have those mornings where I’m NOT hungover and still feel like crap and then think, “What’s the point?” Hmmm… yeah, alcohol will make that better – NOT! It’s such a crazy cycle. I can TOTALLY relate to fearing failure. I’ve been at this nearly TEN years :( Pickled onions, huh? Hey, whatever works! LOL

labgirl… ((( hugs ))) to you! You are not alone. We can do this!

Dee74… Always good to see your avatar :) Thank you for the sound advice. I need to work on the “reaching out” part. I feel like I have no one.

ClearPath64… I have the same “accountability” problem and I definitely get the “What’s the point?” thing. You have a great plan in place for after work. I need to work on mine – again!

bluedog1997… I’m glad you are beginning to feel better. I hope all went well at the auto shop!

Sober81… Great work! Damn temptation! You did awesome working through it!

CaseyW… Glad all is good!

Linners820…OMGoodness! I could have written your post! I have gained a lot of weight too and feel awful about myself :( Have you looked into SMART Recovery meetings? The process is a lot different. I have never gone to an in-person meeting, but if I were to do so, I would begin with SMART.

ravenstorm27… Glad you got right back up! After reading through this thread, I have decided to dig out my copy of the 30DSS and give it another go!

joy57… I feel the same way about needing the interaction. I’m glad you joined this thread and congrats on your success!

Hopeforme2014… It’s been a long time since I’ve felt like you do, but I remember how good it feels! Hold onto that :) Great work pouring out the poison stash!

orderfororder… 30 days is great! I can understand how the job is getting to you. Are you able to read or listen to podcasts when there is nothing to do?

Scott2295… Welcome! It sounds like you have a good plan and the support you need to make big changes this time around :)

dafunbra… Great job! I want to be free too.

ReadyAtLast… I am just getting caught up on this thread and I think it was you that mentioned alcohol in movies and books? I was reading what (I think) you wrote and thinking, “YES!” Ugh. It’s everywhere :( I am middle age and nearing menopause as well. I’m sure that also part of why it’s getting more and more difficult to lose the weight. I used drop pounds so quickly just by cutting alcohol out. Now it takes a lot longer! Another UGH!!! LOL I hope the weather isn’t too crazy today. New England has been extremely windy and rainy this fall.

GoldenSands… I, too, find I cannot tackle both alcohol and food at the same time. I so wish I could, but it’s getting more and more difficult the older I get :( Hormones really sucks. Have you read Annie Grace’s book The Naked Mind? She has some really great about alcohol and the alcohol – depression – anxiety link.

Rd2quit… Late afternoons and early evenings are the worst! Great job not drinking!

Strawberry18… Great work! You are so right about that first drink. I had two drinks with dinner last night and then came home and drank a 6-pack. Yuck!!!

Kaily… That’s awesome!

I'm so glad to meet you all. I really need support and accountability and it's so nice to see so many people here! I hope you all have a great day and I look forward to checking in with you again!
Old 11-08-2018, 06:56 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Well done sober on not giving in. You'll get stronger and stronger.

I feel quite unwell thus afternoon. Surely it can't still be withdrawal. Going to take it easy tonight. Hope everyone is getting through another day
ral
Old 11-08-2018, 06:58 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Lot of great support and sobriety in here over the last 24 hours. Having to post from my phone at the moment so keeping this short for now. Heading to work for a few hours and then off for almost two days. I'm not gonna drink today. No matter what.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:00 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Day 2 and I feel like I got run over by a truck. Yesterday went pretty good and actually slept last night. My Dr. gave me a prescription for Naltrexone and it worked very well yesterday taking away most cravings. Waiting until noon to take it today.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:46 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Checking in day 7. Not much to report other than I’m glad I didn’t break down and drink last night. Thx for all the support.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:30 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Just wanted to throw this out there. I've been a chronic relapser for a while. I never really wanted sobriety, would talk myself into that I could manage it, that I wasn't really hurting anybody, all the usual bull. Over last weekend I came across an article while I was struggling that really clicked for me. I can't find it now, or at least haven't yet, but the premise was that if you've promised sobriety to someone you love and then don't do it, it's the exact same as cheating on that person. It really struck home with me. My X is a borderline who had numerous affairs on me. I've always sworn I would never do that to someone. Now, whenever I get a thought (which I still do) that I want get a drink it's immediately followed by the thought, "No, you can't, that's the same thing as cheating on her". And the wanting of a drink or 30 is just pushed aside as something that cannot be done by me.

I dont know if I've lost the woman in question I apply that thought to, things are pretty dang rocky right now, and she rightly so doesn't believe that this time I really want to be different, but it helps me. I've expanded the thought in my head to that I won't only be cheating on her, I will be cheating on both God and myself if I give in. Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there, as it's really helped me stay strong. That is far and away not the only thing I'm doing, but it kills the thought for me as soon as I have it. Day 8 is going well, at least from the perspective of not taking a drink. Stay strong, everyone, and thank you all for the support I see from everyone here.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:41 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Thanks breakfree. I know exactly what you mean about Wright. I'm mid 40s but had early meno the 38 and even fighting the weight since then . I make healthier food choices when sober for a few days. I just need to stay on the right path.

hope your day goes well. ☺
Old 11-08-2018, 01:09 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Day 2...getting involved now with LifeRing. Joined one of their group lists and looking forward to participating in their online meetings (the nearest face to face groups are a bit far from me, so relying on online for now). Daily journaling and posting here have been helping as well. Preparing to go out of town on Saturday for a work conference but not worried about drinking at the conference. The days will be long, with early mornings and in a different time zone -- I see no point in doing that to myself. Between LifeRing and the 30DDS I am in the process of creating my daily recovery plan. Also, no alcohol in the house and I just need to keep it that way. Hope everyone is having a good day.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:00 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Hey Guys!

Well, as usual, after several hours of hard work and fresh air (we are building our own pool deck), I began to fantasize about my well-earned dinner out with drinks. Gosh, the desire is always SO STRONG. I hate how when good things start happening (being productive and getting things done), the stupid poison creeps in. I have to remind myself how I woke several hours before it was time to get up, feeling sick, full of shame and panic/anxiety over all that I had to do today and wondering how the heck I was going to get through it all. Why… why… why would I want to do the very thing that will make me feel this way tomorrow morning too? INSANITY. I have to keep up the self talk and pull out my tools. I don’t want to feel this way tomorrow. What I really want – if I’m totally honest – is to be able have all the drinks I want without the negative consequences. While I was working on this post, my son came home and asked me to cut his hair. I am not a hair stylist, but I can use the clippers! Anyway, it was nice to spend a little time with him. I just wish I wasn’t still craving drinks out :( After I post this, I will do a cost/benefit analysis (a SMART tool I learned).

ReadyAtLast… I hope you are feeling better as the day goes on! I am not sure I’ve ever felt withdrawal, but my hangovers have become almost unbearable :( I’m 46. How did that happen? I pretty much do EVERYTHING better when I’m alcohol-free. It’s insanity that I have any desire whatsoever to continuously poison myself and wreck my life.

CaseyW… Glad you were still able to check in! I can’t stand typing on my phone! I love my good ‘ole keyboard.

Scott2295… I’m so sorry your still feeling crappy on Day 2. That truly sucks. I’m so glad Naltrexone is helping you.

bluedog1997… That’s so awesome to hear!

dafunbra… I totally get what you are saying. Honestly, I am not sure I will ever want be alcohol-free 100%. I’ve been at this for about ten years, but I am not giving up. I refuse to throw my life away to addiction, but I sure heck know I’ve wasted a lot of it :( Gosh, that makes me so sad.

ravenstorm27… Great job! I am not familiar with LifeRing. Please let us know what you think. It sounds like you have a really good plan at this point!

I hope everyone is doing well! Thank you for listening to me ramble! :)
Old 11-08-2018, 02:31 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Greetings all. My first post on SR and fairly certain I'm navigationally challenged!

Me? I need to join an online community again and become engaged after 5 years of sober stretches of time followed by nearly equal relapses have worn me out. Unfortunately this isn't my first sober rodeo attempt, but I can't continue to have booze in my life and have the life I want.

So, day 5 here and looking forward to getting to know others here. I'm feeling positive but know I can't do this alone.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:27 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Chaisson - good to have you with us

Awesome SOBER81 - thats the way to do it - come here first

congrats on your week bluedog and congrats to everyone else here on their milestones today,. no matter what day it is

D
Old 11-08-2018, 04:35 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Day one for me. (Hello, everyone.). I’ve enjoyed reading this thread and definitely want to look at the 30 Day thing I keep reading about.

I’ve beem concerned about my drinking for a while. A few weeks ago I got some weed and thought I’d smoke that instead of drinking. I used to love smoking weed back in the day, but it turns out that I don’t enjoy it at all anymore. It’s just as well.

So I decided last night that after I finished that last bottle of champagne, I was done. (Should have poured it out, but I was already on my 3rd drink by that time, and i don’t dump alcohol once I’ve gotten started.)

Anyway, it’s 6:30, and I’m a little cranky but otherwise doing fine. I got in a lot of exercise today, and that helps. Not looking forward to the weekend though, but I’ll worry about that later.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:44 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you too BreakFree

D
Old 11-08-2018, 04:49 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Closing out day 2 here. Worked all day, then had my therapy appointment. I really like this lady. She's very intuitive, calming and easy to talk to. I feel comfortable opening up to her which is great.

Breakfree, if I were going to go the meeting route, it would be SMART. For now I'm just trying out weekly therapy sessions.

Scott, my doctor prescribed me Campral which I haven't started taking yet. Apparently it works best when you have a bit of sobriety behind you so I'm holding off. Glad the naltrexone is working for you. I'm curious to hear more about it.

I'm currently tucked on the couch under a blanket with my boxer/pit mix wedged between me and the cushions. Just had dinner and have a pumpkin candle burning and will prob watch a movie in a bit. I'm warm, cozy and sober although I do have fleeting thoughts of going out to the store to get alcohol. I'm fighting them off, though. A few more hours and Day 2 will be in the books!
Old 11-08-2018, 04:49 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Bonniefloyd, if you try the 30 Day Drinking Solution book, be sure to register for the companion website. It's free and includes some great recordings and extra guidance to help with the exercises.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:55 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joy57 View Post
I'm gonna jump in here. 23 days. I'm in October Class but it has kinda fizzled and I need more interaction currently. Hi all!
Same here Joy, at 24 daze with you now. My AV has been chirping, but I will continue to kick it to the curb. Let's all seize our sober lives!
Old 11-08-2018, 05:10 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

I went to a real life A.A. meeting so there’s no point in holding out on my November class anymore. *Technically* I quit for good in October (10/27) but I didn’t make it official I guess til now. I dumbly drank at a Halloween party and the next day I realized I had goofed it so hard and never ever wanted to feel that way again. This was after a previous 10 days of non consecutive sobriety attempts after nearly 3 years of abuse, and one year of absolute, buck wild insanity. Almost at two weeks!!!

So here I am. All in on all accounts. Nowhere to hide. Glad and lucky to be here.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:29 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to all the new faces and glad to see others checking in! We're stronger together!

Short day at work turned long but that's OK. Home now and cooking some dinner and about to watch The Good Place. I will be going to bed sober tonight. Thanks to all!
Old 11-08-2018, 10:25 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

I really need to get on a computer so I can reply to all of your posts. I do read through them and I find all of your words comforting cause it helps to feel less alone. So I apologize for never giving anyone direct replies back.

I thought i’d do my nightly check in here to keep me straight and in line. I’ve done so well this week. Tomorrow is Friday and marks day 5 and it’s usually days 5-8 that start getting rough for me. Little bit worried but I’m going to check in here extra and just remind myself that I do not want to drink. I was offered one tonight and said no thanks. As I’m laying in bed, I’m so glad that I said no. After all, I really don’t want it, it’s just a habit. I’m curious as to how great I’ll feel soon with many more days without alcohol in my system. My face is looking more moisturized already.

Had to deal with a near tantrum from the almost 7 yr old today but I rode it amazingly by keeping my cool and displaying calm emotional regulation for her. She’s soundly sleeping now but will have consequences on her birthday weekend of all times

I will say that dealing with that situation went a lot better than it has in the past when alcohol would just make me more irritable and unhappy and impatient.

One day at a time. One minute at a time. Gnight
Old 11-08-2018, 11:31 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Good morni g class ! This time last week I had a terible hangover . And started drinking beer at lunchtime to relive the pain. Bad idea. Not today ! I've been for a long dog walk and now fixing lunch ! Stay close ... It's the weekend !