Notices

Class of February 2016 Part 24

Old 12-11-2019, 06:05 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hey OOTT- have liked seeing you pop up on other threads lately for sure.

Always love seeing ours when I click on New Posts which is usually what I do....

Dealing with another round of holidays and the variations once again! Step daughter doing great and engaged with us, step son a question mark and recently disengaged party, MIL didn't like (ha) the boundaries I set as she is unkind to me and toxic, and I just got the OK for PT and baby exercising like short walks!! Amen and hallelujah.

Making the next right choice as we are going thru each gathering and blessing (like being w my parents and brother and his longtime bf at Tgvg which was huge) and all the things we talk about as we go thru another year together!

Take care of yourselves
A
Old 12-31-2019, 09:13 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Im ALIVE

Was just thinking of this Pearl Jam song. I love PJ! The rest of the lyrics dont pertain but thought I would post Im still alive! Jeni, August, OOTT glad to see you are stll here! And precious Dee of course!

I think Im a few months behind you all, but doing great. Sounds fishy but I drank a Mimosa instead of straight OJ at family Christmas. Guess I havent had champagne in so long I didnt figure it out right away, it wasnt fizzy. Anyway, had a headache after and was sooo thankful to be sober. I also accidentally ate a bit of casserole with pork and that made me sick too. Body doesnt digest meat when it hasnt had any.

It was an extremely tough journey to get to this place, I think it took me a long time for my brain to heal but feel alright in the head now. How is the rest of Fort Feb? How are your kitties OOTT?
Old 12-31-2019, 02:57 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

Its good to hear from you PL

D
Old 01-23-2020, 07:00 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Hey PL, great to hear from you. Charlie and Mouser are doing well! Sorry about the mimosa, but it sounds like you accidently picked it up. I mean, there's no way to control that kind of thing from happening. I remember a waiter put tequila in my Coke once without asking me, and fortunately he told me before I took a drink, otherwise I probably wouldn't have smelled it.
You're right about this long journey. I feel more or less normal, but think I'm still healing. I still think about my recovery every day and I'm grateful for everyone at Fort Feb.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:41 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hey guys- so glad to see our thread pop up.

Things with Cliff and me have been in such a good place, and with my step daughter as well. She just got her prom dress and is beyond excited- and one of the first pieces of jewelry her dad gave me is a pair of earrings with just the right light blue stone to go with! She was touched and of course he loves us bonding.

I'm anxious today as I'm going to my dad's hometown for the funeral of one of his first cousins. Both my parents have large extended families with lots of cousins.....and I haven't seen any of them except my aunt and uncle (we are now close and amend-ed) since I was a no show at my paternal grandmother's funeral FOURTEEN years ago. Everyone knows variations of the disaster my life took and that I am sober now but they know even better how much I broke my Dad's heart that day. And I don't even know why I didn't go - the day is a total blank- I do know I wasn't drinking til after the time I would have gone.

It will be OK, Cliff is going, and my parents very much want me there and in a loving way.

Confession: I've been struggling with my anxiety meds and sometimes taking too many. Reported it to my dr and we are continuing the rx, and I am fine when I do not take them (ie, no dependence), yet it makes me anxious to think about needing them. It's all been tied to fam stuff over the holidays. Ugh. Perhaps my almost 4 yr projection of this year's anniversary angst.

My parents have stayed with us this wk and it's been so nice. Couldn't have fathomed such a comfortable deal once upon a time.

Take care all - A
Old 01-24-2020, 03:45 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have confidence you'll find the right recovery centered path to get through the meds thing August.

Have a good weekend everyone

D
Old 01-25-2020, 04:53 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. Yes, it will be ok. I took the full daily dose yesterday morning and did splendidly thru the extremely long day and evening. But it was beyond worth it- to sum it up, one of the promises AA talks about coming true at the joyful welcome and inclusion I found.

Happy wkd all.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:53 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hi guys.

August, I too believe you will work your way through the anxiety meds issue.

It’s weird how anniversaries can send us into a bit of a spin. I’ve found my mind wandering into the ‘maybe I could drink now’... nonsense.

Will be 4 years sober in a week, can hardly believe it. Life is super busy with work and studying to become a children’s counsellor. I will be out on placement soon which is terrifying! Plus I’m selling my Mum’s home and also ours so that we can buy something together. It’s an exciting project but also carries some stress. And somehow I’ve ended up doing it all!

And yes, I know that a bottle of wine will be the death of me, I’m also wondering whether the odd glass will help me relax...totally ridiculous!

I think of you all often. I heard from Jobei who will be 4 years sober on 22nd Feb and is a good place ❤️
Old 01-25-2020, 04:08 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Jeni!

D
Old 01-25-2020, 06:46 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hey Jeni!

I've always been one to remember and mark dates or have oddly specific recollections of random stuff so yep, "anniversaries" are weird when it comes to sobriety!
Old 01-31-2020, 10:56 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

4 years today.

I will always be eternally grateful that I managed to make it stick this time around ❤️

Thanks guys xx
Old 02-01-2020, 12:11 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats again Jeni

D
Old 02-01-2020, 08:37 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Happy birthday Jeni!!
Old 02-03-2020, 10:26 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Congratulations to OOTT.

Well done on your 4 years
Old 02-08-2020, 03:46 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Jeni, congrats on four years!!!! What a great transformation this has been! I will always be grateful to you, August, Penny, and everyone else at Fort Feb.

Thanks also for the kind regards on my own soberversary on Feb. 3.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:16 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

And just like that today is 4 years for me!
So I took a few trips up to Charlottesville and laps around the sun and as UVA's founder Thomas Jefferson says, we never stop learning, so now it's straight on to grad school!

So grateful for you guys. Even tho we aren't in as close touch on the thread I ALWAYS pay attention for your posts elsewhere!

Somehow this year feels "bigger" than the last - I realized the other day how much credit I should give myself for the different/new challenges it brought especially since last May/June....a step child going to sober living and taking on his path/me having to get help being in my own lane etc....back injury/quality of life deterioration/surgery...(successfully) dealing with pain meds...firm boundary setting with my MIL (tho it has cost me), huge family progress with me own around holidays and being included in a funeral for the first time in 14 yrs when I was the classic prodigal child and skipped a grandmother's....a stepdaughter now close enough that she's wearing a special pair of earrings her dad gave me to prom....my parents spending FIVE nights with us a month ago...WOW.

Here's to the year leading me to the 5 yr mark I've always thought was so big - but celebrating this one that feels huge.

Hugs to all
A
Old 02-22-2020, 04:10 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry i missed the day but congrats August - and thanks for your continued presence here

D
Old 02-23-2020, 05:49 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee

This wkd has been full of such lovely stuff, to say the least- and I actually counted 8 people off the top of my head that I only know bc I got sober and got involved with Ben's Friends or the restaurant company its founder runs, with whom I had some kind of special interaction just this past 48 hrs. The highlight was last night when my husband and I went to a very special friend's wedding - in a cemetery!

It sounds so insane but it was the most lovely and perfect tiny (like 28-30 people) gathering and I would not have met this special girl if not for Ben's Friends and her deciding to get sober about 3 yr ago! She is about as "opposite" as me as it seems - she's that girl who can totally own the full tatt, sleeves and up the neck thing and y'all can see I'm more the well-highlighted blonde type, she's vegan and her spiritual path involves mysticism and crystals, she's an insanely talented jewelry designer, I love steak and wear leather and failed arts and crafts (ha)...on and on but being invited and then being PRESENT at this completely unique and perfect for them sundown in the winter ceremony at the most historic cemetery in Atlanta was just incredible.

I looked at my husband and asked him if he'd had a clue the adventure sobriety would be or what I'd get him into and the look on his face as he laughed no was priceless.

Oh yeah, and the rest of the evening? We went from the south end of Atlanta for the wedding to one of the northern suburbs to eat (steak) with one of my longtime friends and her husband who are about the furthest-most-conservative-Catholic-etc people I know. Just the disparate worlds and people I can inhabit and friends I have now is amazing to me! We never stay out til almost midnight but the whole evening was worth it

Take care all
A
Old 02-23-2020, 09:42 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Only just seen this August!

Congratulations my friend. And onward we march to year 5 😁
Old 02-24-2020, 07:02 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Thank you sweet Jeni!