Old 04-17-2020, 04:47 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  
Administrator

stay safe everyone.

D
Old 05-16-2020, 02:46 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Hey Amp. Just checking in to see how you and the family are making out. I know your country(s) have been hit hard with the virus. Have you been able to get back to some level of work? I have been continuing to work, albeit with masks on all the time and lots of hand sanitizer and Plexiglas shields. I was hoping that things would slow down a bit this summer, but so many states are relaxing their lockdowns, I expect another surge. There was one state that ended their lockdown, and pictures of packed bars and patrons with no masks filled the internet. Unfortunately, we will all run into these people at the grocery store.

Pulled my guitar back out for the first time in months. Might as well use the down time for something productive. How is your painting going?

Be safe!
Old 05-16-2020, 09:46 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  

I'm ok thanks SG. I'm worried about my business but we are all in good health which is the main thing. I'm painting on and off with some success. It really helps me take my mind off things. We know a few people who got the virus but only one got it badly and he has recovered now so fingers crossed going forward.
Hope you are also doing well and that the guitar playing is coming good!💪💪💪
Old 05-16-2020, 04:11 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  
Administrator

stay well folks

D
Old 06-07-2020, 08:46 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Day 1873, can you believe it.
Hi everyone, It's been too long. I wanted to come on Apr 22, my 5 year mark, but I don't know why, just slipped my mind.
I would never have thought I would last 5 months, never mind 5 years!
I may be hanging the quit smoking part of this forum, which is why I am back. It's tough. I think I've been trying to quit smoking for ever!!!
Nice to see you guys again.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:56 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Cauliflower - and good luck on the quitting smoking
Old 06-07-2020, 11:18 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Hey Cauliflower! Congratulations on those 5 years. Who would have thought it? It's been quite a journey. I would have found a few months of lockdown pretty tough in the past with my addiction issues but it hasn't been too bad and I haven't felt like drinking at all. Hope things have been ok for you too? Good luck with the smoking! If you can do the drink anything is possible, right?!! You can do it!
Old 06-07-2020, 11:56 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Hi Cauli, great to see you! Congrats on making it five years without a drink. Who would have thought that our rag tag little group had so many heroes! They just reopened our state run liquor stores a couple of days ago and there were long lines to get inside. I read alcohol consumption is up 30% during the lockdown here.

Good luck with quitting smoking. I know you are a quitter and can do this!

How have you been making out Amp? Any business happening for you? My wife's company is finally getting some orders to fulfill so I am hopeful she will keep her job. We have had a whirlwind of family deaths, destructive weather, power outages and continued Covid fears. I know that I would have been perpetually drunk during all this five years ago.

Take care folks!
Old 06-08-2020, 12:07 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

We haven't stopped working during lockdown because we've moved online but business is down by 70-80% so we're struggling to pay bills as we move into the summer which is our slow time anyway. Last week I had to tell temporary staff to make contingency plans as we may not have work for them the coming academic year. You'd think that some of them must have been living under a rock as they didn't seem to anticipate this possibility at all. It's been a hard road and many more miles to go. Still wondering whether there'll be a business and a job for any of us in 6 months' time. Still to early to know but time will tell. Maybe it is the beginning of a new chapter or perhaps we recover. It is the uncertainty that I find difficult.

Sorry to hear about the deaths in your family SG. Hopefully your wife will continue to get orders and keep her job too.

So glad we're not drunk all the time like before. That's the main thing!
Old 06-08-2020, 09:32 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  

SG, it's nice to see you again, and I am so sorry about all the deaths in your family, that is truly hard.
Amp, I am really hoping that things will turn around come fall for you. I've been struggling big time with home schooling my son. It's hard to motivate a 14 year old, especially when the teachers are giving the message that family and fun is more important right now, but here's your homework for the week! Schools have been closed since March! So I think, if they open in the fall, they will may open early, like August instead of September. Not sure. Everything is up in the air.

We haven't stopped working during lock down as well. We have not really been effected to hard, it's just the nature of our business. We are a trucking company, and considered an essential business. You know what else was considered Essential: liquor stores. Sales in our province increased 30%. That means, more people sat at home and drank. It's depressing to think about. I'm so glad I was sober during all this.

Nothing else really to update. I've been reading, writing, meditating, praying, eating and exercising.

We have a new dog. He is turning 3 already this month. Axel is a German Shepherd and he is my baby boy. He's bad to the bone, bossy AF, and I just love him! You know who else turned 3, my grandson, he is my breath of life!

We'll chat soon.
Cauli

My father, who has Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis had not left his home since early march. I just went to see him last week, and it was so wonderful. We gave in and just hugged each other!
Old 06-08-2020, 11:05 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing all your news Cauliflower! So nice to catch up with you!!!🙂🙂🙂
Old 06-09-2020, 05:10 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

It is a difficult time with Covid hitting my area hard. I have not visited my 89 and 85 year old parents for fear of spreading this illness. My sister is laid off and home bound mostly, so she has stopped in to check on them. I am pretty amazed that I haven't come down with the illness yet, to be honest. Dealing with a thousand people a day is risky business. I yearn for the days when masks won't be needed and one doesn't have to wash their hands every twenty minutes.

Cauli, how is your Mexican home? Have you been spending chunks of the winter down south?

Amp, employees never cease to amaze me. Our sales are down substantially and customer counts down by more than half because of social distance limitations. Yet some employees seemed baffled when their hours were cut back. As a bigger company, we, of course, have more resources than a small family business such as yours does, but there are limits.

How has the painting been going Amp? Has the mood of your creations changed with the stress you are under? I had picked up my guitar a month ago and was gung ho for about a week, but now haven't had much time. My son is graduating high school and will participate in some type of drive through graduation.The other day, we dropped off his Chromebook and picked up his gym clothes that have sitting in a locker since mid March. Some teachers actually tried to create on line learning experiences during the three month shut down, others barely had an online presence. I hope things will be better organized if schools are forced to teach online this fall.

Glad you have Axel as a buddy these days Cauli. I read pet adoptions have been through the roof with the lock down.

Great hearing from you folks!
Old 06-09-2020, 05:17 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

The painting is going well right now SG. It is a great way to disconnect and channel my creativity. I'm not sure how the pm thing works on this site but I'll try to send you a link.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:03 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

You have some great paintings on display Amp! I pm'd you some questions. I love your recent series especially.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:13 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Thanks SG. So glad you like the series on Covid19 and relationships. I'm afraid I don't have any prints of my work out just now :/
Old 06-10-2020, 09:14 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Amp, I saw that one painting you posted here, it was amazing. You have some real talent! Did you just pick up the brush and realized you can paint, or is this something you've been doing for a while? I was painting with my daughter last summer,and my work can be described as early kindergarten styling! It's fun tho, and it is very relaxing. I was actually thinking of pulling out the paints again and just create. Who knows, maybe I upgraded in that area and just won't realize until I start again. I actually enjoy creating pieces of art with rocks, feathers and other nature elements. I use tacky glue and a glossy mod podge.

Our condo in Mexico is sitting empty right now, we usually have it rented out when we are not using it over Christmas holidays. The whole of Puerto Vallarta is feeling the economic crunch. The malecon is shut down and the beaches are closed. In our condo complex, the pools were even closed. I am hoping to get there this winter, but my husband is not too gung ho on international travel at all this year. Christmas at home is not that bad I guess, or maybe we can head out to BC and find some bunny hills for skiing.

cauli

Old 06-11-2020, 06:21 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I agree with your husband Cauli. I have no urge to hope on a plane at the moment. Most venues have canceled their summer music lineups around here. There are many small clubs in the area that I am sure will not reopen once things return to "normal."

My son is having his graduation from a car this afternoon. He will get his diploma at a drive through location setup at the school. Poor kid was born three months before 9/11 and graduates high school during a pandemic. This generation will become better known than the Boomers when their time arises.

Take care all!
Old 06-13-2020, 12:22 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Love your newest painting Amp!
Old 06-13-2020, 01:31 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

So weird to have to graduate from a car. Who would have imagined something like that? Glad you're enjoying my paintings SG 🙂
Old 07-07-2020, 11:15 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Congratulations to your son SG! Graduation ceremonies are very weird this year for sure, but, I'm glad the kids are seeing some sort of closure for their hard work.

I've never had so much time on my hands. I've started tackling the de-clutter of my basement, and it feels so good for the soul. Keeps me busy, and my mind occupied. Sad news from my end, my father was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. He beat it in 2012, but it came back. He is currently in the hospital and I can't go visit him just yet. The Covid safety measures are changing this week, and he will be allowed 2 visitors soon. We expect him to be released this week with paliative care at home. So heartbroken, but staying strong. He is the reason I quit drinking.

Take care, I will keep you updated.
Cauli