Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 14

Old 07-13-2019, 03:08 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Hey guys! I'm working really hard (10-12h most days) at the moment but can't really complain as I'll be taking the full month of August off. It's not really through choice but demand slacks off to such an extent that it's more expensive to stay open. Even so, I always look forward to this enforced break which we spend the year preparing for financially. I'm pretty tired and worn out now and I feel like I need to take a break. The woman we had to let go at work is being a bit difficult. Posting nasty stuff on social media and so on. People have told me that she's planning to sue us for irregularities in her paperwork in 2004 and 2005 but my lawyer says that you can't sue for anything over 7 years old. We will see. Maybe that's just what she's telling people.

On the bright side, I'm still finding a little time for painting and feel that the last piece I did is my best yet! I chair an English speaking book group at the provincial library and the manager saw some of my work on social media and ask if I'd like to exhibit some time next year. It's a little thing but it's exciting for me. The band doesn't seem to be getting anywhere though. These days it seems like if you're not a tribute or cover band (or really well known) you can't get a gig I kind of prefer painting as a creative outlet as I don't depend on anyone else and can work at my own pace.

Anyway! Gotta run! I was waiting for my wife for coffee and she just showed up
Old 07-14-2019, 06:45 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

The music world has changed a lot here too Amp. My one brother in law has gone from being in a band that opened for the Who to playing in a 60's/70's AM radio hits band, which is doing very well. Older folks still love to come out and dance once in a while. No one wants to pay a cover to see a band in a club anymore, so if the band can't pack a bar, they won't get gigs.

Sorry your former employee is giving you such grief. Causing a scene on social media would not help burnish their resume to a future employer in my eyes. I am glad that you will have some down time in August.

Take care!
Old 07-25-2019, 06:38 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Hi guys!

How is the new job going Inc?

Amp, without getting political, things are going to be interesting back in England with a new PM. I don't know a lot about him, but most coverage here over the years have made him out to be a buffoon. He should get along just fine with our leader. Will he be pushing Brexit full speed ahead? Do you know how that will affect your citizenship status? It truly is a crazy world.

Finally had hernia surgery yesterday to fix a long standing problem. It turns out the hernia was far worse than anticipated, and I was on the table for two hours. The doctor had to sew two mesh patches in to hold everything back together. I am pretty sore today, and on a low dose opioid that my wife is doling out to me. I believe it is the first time I have ever taken an opioid, and was a little nervous to be honest. However, there is no buzz involved, and it just lessens the pain a bit. My wife is actually more worried about having narcotics in the house with two teenagers, as that is a big problem in our schools with teens these days.

Bet you are looking forward to taking time off in August Amp!

Take care!
Old 07-25-2019, 08:48 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Hey SG. We're very worried about the new PM. He seems intent on pushing Brexit through at any cost and also keen on promoting an insurance based health service similar to the one you have in the States. I feel it's a huge mistake which, if he has his way, will likely fracture the unity of the nation and see us fragmenting. Scotland will push for independence and we could see Northern Ireland realigned with the Republic. There have even been rumblings from the Welsh nationalists.

I think I'll be ok as I've applied for Spanish nationality as a European citizen so even if we leave now my application will be handled from that perspective.

I'm worried about the folks back home as, if (when?) we leave with no deal with our European trading partners it may become difficult to buy things like basic medicines, food and anything else from machines, components, toilet roll... Whatever! My sister said she's already having trouble trying to get some medicines because people have started stock piling. So, yeah, I think the world has gone mad. Boris Johnson is a self-serving, mendacious conman who would support whatever cause would be most likely to bring him personal gain.

Scary times but I'm still looking forward to a bit of time off work!
​​​​​​Sorry to hear about the complications with your procedure, SG but you must be relieved that it's done and dusted now. All the best for a speedy recovery! Will you be off work for long?

How about you Inc? How's the job hunting going?
​​​​​​
take care all!
Old 07-27-2019, 12:19 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

It is a shame that political leaders lead by dividing people, not uniting them. I am glad that your citizenship will be secured. A shortage of medicines and food would be horrible. I am certain the EU would be not inclined for Britain to rejoin even post Boris. Decisions made now will have long term consequences.

I will be off 2-3 weeks, as I can not meet the minimum weight lifting requirements for my job, even light duty. I am spending a lot of time on the computer and reading. It's like a vacation, but with pain.

Take care!
Old 08-09-2019, 07:56 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Hey guys, just checking in.

Looks like I will be heading back to work next week, albeit light duty, which is fine by me. I have actually not really missed work over the past couple weeks. I have been thinking what a retirement might look like for me. Then, I checked my bank statements and realized that it is still a long way off, lol!

Amp, how is your month off going? Are you still getting painting time in?

Inc, what is your job situation currently? Are you going ahead with the insurance sales?

Be good!
Old 08-10-2019, 12:59 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Hey Sg! I toy also sometimes with the idea of early retirement before looking at the economic car crash that that would be!😂

It would be nice though... Oh! There I go again!

I am writing to you guys from an old centuries old stone farm house at the top of a hill in a tiny town called Saturnana in Tuscany, Italy. Amazing place with beautiful views. Nice to take the family away although my mother is with us too and she is not the easiest travelling companion!

Enjoying the local cuisine, beaches, towns and cities and don't feel like I'm missing out by not trying the local vino!🇮🇹

Hope you guys are well!
Old 08-13-2019, 06:26 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Have a great vacation Amp!
Old 08-14-2019, 06:31 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Damn it...hit the back button on a long response. Now I'm short on time.

SG... Super glad the surgery went well considering. And super smart the way you managed the pain pills For me, it was pain pills that sent my addiction in high gear.

Amp.. Wow! That sounds simply amazing!!!

For me.. Things going well. I am busy studying and doing classes for American Income. Awesome group of people. I have a debt thst I needed to clear before I got my agent number which I should have by the end of this week. I'm doing a ride along Fri and Sat for training purposes, so that'll be fun.

I'm also driving for door dash and making some extra cash when ever I can. Made $200 last week after expenses.

I was also surprised thst my unemployment was approved! So no matter ahst happens with insurance, I'll have a guaranteed income for 1 year. That is simply amazing.

I don't plan on reporting dash income and will be using that to take care of credit cards I've been maxing out in the meantime. It'll take a whole lot more than dash to dig my way out, but I also need to save 6months of rent so I'll never be in a spot Where I'm worried about having enough cash for rent.

Alright guys... Gotta go. Love Ya'll. Glad to see all is well.
Peace.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:31 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I'm happy to hear that your job at American Income is going well Inc. Also excited to hear that you got your unemployment approved. I had a friend whom was let go, and his ex company went to fought unemployment. However, the company did not show at the hearing, so he won his case. It will probably take some time before you generate a lot of cash flow selling insurance, so unemployment will come in handy.

I worked Monday, and it took me two days to recover. I work tonight, then have a ten hour turnaround between shifts. I will be hurting by Friday night. So much for easing back in!

Enjoy Italy Amp. I regret never traveling much when I had fewer responsibilities. I doubt that I will ever make it to Europe at this point in my life, but who knows.

Have a good day all!
Old 09-07-2019, 08:08 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Just dropping by to say hi to you guys!

Amp, I hope you enjoyed your vacation in August and are ready for a good year upcoming. Inc, I hope the coming months find you prospering in your new job!

Attended a wedding last night of our neighbor's son. It was supposed to be a beach wedding, but with the hurricane off the coast, everything was moved inside. That was a five hour drive for naught. Ugh. I have to attend my wife's boss's son's wedding this afternoon and night. It annoys me when there is a two to three hour gap between the church service and the reception. Way to waste my entire day. I will be so happy to be done with weddings for a bit. The drunkfest holds no allure for me anymore.

Gotta run and get suited up.

Take care guys!
Old 09-17-2019, 03:21 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Big shakeup of the management staff at my store as my company is opening a new store downtown. I am glad to not be transferred, but I lost two of my strongest co workers, and they were replaced by two newbies. I really have to step my game up now.

Hope you guys are well!
Old 09-17-2019, 03:58 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

I'm pretty good thanks SG. Working like a man possessed right now as September and October are our busy time. It's good to hear from the group. I have felt a bit guilty about not posting and drifting away. It is important to stay centred. All too easy to forget how life was less than 5 years ago!
Old 09-18-2019, 04:08 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I hope that you hit your targeted numbers this fall Amp and resume profitability.

Inc, how goes sales?

Got my daughter a Squire Telecaster for her birthday (in surf green) and a musician friend gave her a wonderful tube amp that really costs as much as the guitar. The Squire line seems well built, and has that Tele sound. The volume knobs and such are a little chinzy, but you have to cut some corners at this price point. She has inspired me to pick my guitar back up again and give it a go. All my callouses have faded, so I am at the very beginning again. I am glad one of my kids enjoys music at least!

Have a good day all!
Old 09-18-2019, 06:35 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  
Administrator

Squires are good - haven't got one but my mate used one for years until he bought a Strat

D
Old 09-18-2019, 10:56 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

They're good solid guitars to start on. Some of the early ones are very sought after these days
Old 09-18-2019, 10:56 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah his was late 90s I think

D
Old 09-21-2019, 03:58 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Thanks for the opinions guys!

Enjoy the weekend!
Old 09-28-2019, 07:52 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Just a quick check in. I have been super busy at work, as we have brought a ton of new hires into the store, so we are trying to get them up and trained as quickly as possible.

I hope you guys are doing okay.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:38 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Just rolling by to say hi.

I hope you guys are doing ok. I am going through my usual autumn start of my SAD which my doctor treats with low dose Wellbutrin. The shortening days trigger something in my brain which causes me to begin a depression spiral. Thankfully, I now have a plan to right the ship, with this med and lots of Daylight Lamp time. I find myself thinking about alcohol when I hit this funk. No desire to actually pick anything up, just a wish that I could ingest something that would change my mood temporarily. Intellectually, I know that I would be a fool to drink again. Nevertheless, I have been spending a lot of time on SR and even went to an AA meeting yesterday. Though I am not an AAer, I enjoy the sharing that takes place in a room full of folks trying to stay on the recovery path.

Take care guys!