Notices

Class of August 2018 Part 6

Old 10-04-2018, 03:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of August 2018 Part 6

last part here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-5-a-20.html (Class of August 2018 Part 5)

D
Old 10-04-2018, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry about your Koi, Ayers.
welcoem back Quit

Congrats to everyone hitting a milestone today

I'm really glad you resisted Suze
Good to hear from you Tony - you stay strong too - it's not beyond any of us

I think you'll be fine in an empty house matrac - the resolve to stay in recovery shouldn't be dependent on opportunity - keep doing whatever you've been doing

I was reading yesterday (in a book about the Kinks of all things) and they said of someone (not in the band) that alcohol wasn;t his problem it was his solution.

I thought that was a wonderful way to put it.

We can all find more effective solutions to whatever our problems are - and we need to accept that we deserve those better solutions
Old 10-04-2018, 03:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad your still reading Tony. You've made it through a cruise sober once before, maybe again?
Kia kaha JT.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was so sorry to hear about your Koi, Ayers. It did make me laugh, though, the way you told it. Sad and funny at the same time. Hugs to you!
Suze, I am so glad you were able to get through that. Your husband sounds wonderful. I hope you have a great sober trip!
I had a really bad day at work. I can't go into it, it's too long of a story. But I got really angry and upset and my mind turned to a drink. Once again I had to promise myself I could go back out when I got home if I needed to. It's odd, the way the trip home is the worst. It's like I feel I if I don't get it on the way home, I will be stuck at home with no choice. That's just a crazy thing my mind tells me, and I know that. But it has worked so often in the past that it just keeps trying. Then, once I get home, I'm okay. I look back and am perplexed how awful my confusion and stress was over the idea of buying some alcohol. If I want it, it's five minutes down the road. But, I don't want it. It's really only that hour each day that I have to get through, the rest of the time I love being sober.
I know you all must be sick of hearing about this by now, I certainly am! But, it helps a lot to 'talk' it through. Thanks all!
Orin, my grandson, wants me to be the queen. Off to play queen then!
Old 10-04-2018, 05:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Really tough day at work. I would ordinarily reward myself with a drink after such a day. I told my colleague at work that I had the house to myself this evening and she asked what kind of wine I’d be drinking....yikes, that had been on my mind! I had a hamburger instead! So far so good and now that I am exhausted and full and sober, sleep will be a welcome reprieve.

PS. Found a good article while browsing the internet..... https://https://www.psychologytoday....ithout-alcohol
Old 10-04-2018, 05:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Karen, is there a different way home you can distract yourself with? Drive with the window down? Have a piece of hard candy or gum on the way home? Leave yourself a note in the car that highlights the positives of sobriety? Thinking of avoiding HALT?
Old 10-04-2018, 07:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I like the idea of a note in the car very much! Thanks matrac. I only have two ways home, and there is a store on every corner. Taking a cold drink helps, too. I have to prepare ahead for these things, I know! I will write myself a note now, and put in in my purse for tomorrow. And take a cold drink when I go. Thanks!
Old 10-04-2018, 07:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm still here too all and hope to make a real post.

Courage to you all!
Old 10-05-2018, 03:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Karen, you are the queen! I absolutely identified with your statement about the drive home: It's really only that hour each day that I have to get through, the rest of the time I love being sober. That is me! And I like Matrac's suggestions for beating that AV hour. I'll make a point of looking at the link you provided!
Hi Dee, Caramel, BeKind, Red, Tony, Bob, Timetotry, Ayres, Quit and everyone else trying to get home from work without stopping at the store!
Old 10-05-2018, 04:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you Zoey! What a nice note to find here!
Bekind, it's good to hear from you. You're having internet problems? I sure know how that feels. I hope it gets better fast, we miss you.
I am so glad it's Friday! I am obsessing over this problem at work. I woke up at 3 a.m. worrying about it and fell back asleep right before the alarm went off. I am determined to do and say nothing at all about it today. I am just not in the good frame of mind to be delving into this. I will put off anyone who wants to talk about it, and ask if we can meet on Monday.
I'm also keeping forgiveness high in my mind. It's for my own good. Besides, queens do things like forgive people all the time, right?
Happy Sober Friday everyone! I have my note written and am going to put it in my glove box to read before my trip home. Fridays I serve alcohol to the residents, and it can be a trigger.
Talk to you all tonight!
Old 10-05-2018, 06:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Morning class.

Tony -- Glad you're still here! I hope you have an enjoyable trip.

ODAAT -- Where you at, sister!?

Hey, Bekind -- Glad you're doing well.

Bonnie -- Congrats on making it through a tough day. You too, Red -- I hope your commute gets easier eventually.

For some reason, I really had the urge to drink last night. I was feeling strong, but then we went to a bike night at our local Harley store (we're HOG members). As usual, there was lots of food, beer, a band and, of course, lots of cool bikes and bikers. I kept thinking...Gosh, what would be the harm of having just one beer? I don't really even like beer, so it was unusual to be feeling that way. I made it through without much trouble, but I didn't like the thought.

Today is my surgical procedure. Hopefully it will go well, not be too much of a big deal recovery-wise, and alleviate some of my back pain. Dee, I wonder if you've ever tried a procedure like this? I'll be put under, and then will get a series of injections into the bones in my lower back and spine. My doctor said that if my pain is being caused by arthritis, the pain should disappear. If the pain doesn't go away, they'll put me back under and heat the areas to a high temperature and that may give me some relief. I'm hopeful that the initial injections will do the trick. Thank you so much for all of your well-wishes. That means a lot. I'll let you know how it goes.

I woke up this morning thinking about the connection between alcoholism and mood disorders. I wonder if it's a kinda chicken or egg situation? I know I tend to be a little emotionally over-sensitive sometimes, and certainly, I've struggled with depression and anxiety like many in here have. In my case, I feel like those demons are lightening up a bit the farther away I get from my last drink. My therapist says she thinks I'm just in a "honeymoon phase" because I'm in a relatively new relationship. I don't know, though -- I think I honestly feel better! Are any of you feeling a significant levelling of moods as you progress in sobriety? I know there are good days and bad days...but overall, do you see your baseline moving up a bit?

Happy sober Friday everyone.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Best wishes, Aliceiw, hope all goes well for you.
A gentle
Old 10-05-2018, 01:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Pretty quiet here lately. I am struggling to get back on track...again.

Will not post until I reach a few days of sober living because I’m so tired of sounding like a broken record. But that seems to be the case for me. I will not ever lose hope in beating this, but this is hard! I know you all know that.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Alice, I think many people with a mood disorder self medicate with alcohol. Alcoholism certainly affects mood and so does withdrawal for some period of time. The answer is likely treatment for both mood disorders and alcoholism. Hope you’re feeling better!

Quitnow...maybe post before you drink for some ideas on how to combat the craving?

Karen and Zoey...yes to the note....or a new routine for the drive home? The thought of drinking I think sometime goes along with our habits and so you have to create new ones.

Stay strong all!
Old 10-05-2018, 04:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Will not post until I reach a few days of sober living because I’m so tired of sounding like a broken record.
absolutely noone here thinks you're a broken record.

Why not think about every thing different this time Quit.

Keep posting ?

D
Old 10-05-2018, 04:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow, hasn't the class been quiet today! Maybe we are all being contemplative?
Quitnow, I really would love for you to post. Tell us what happened and let us help you! You don't sound like a broken record to me. You sound like someone who is willing to keep on trying. I don't think this thing can be done alone. I have tried it, many times. In fact, I think I've tried every available method. Alone, in a group, in a treatment facility, in AA, with church, etc. etc. And I've had lots of sober time through the years. I just took a long time to reach the place where it's a permanent thing. If it even is, who knows, I could relapse again. If I do, I will come back here and post my heart out.

I like what I wrote in my note to myself that I put in my car to read as I was leaving work today. First of all, I attached a printed picture of myself when I was about seven years old. Things were already pretty hard for me then. Anyone else seeing the picture would just see a smiling child, but I have a good long term memory (it's the short term that's not so good) and I remember how I felt then. Afraid and unloved and trying so hard to be lovable. Something about the picture makes me want that child to have a chance for something better. I just love her, and she's me!
Then, the note says, "Give this kid a chance! I know you need to relax and de-stress from this long hard day. You ache all over and are tired and have given away all you have today. So a drink sounds like something you've earned, a way to relax and celebrate and have something for yourself for a change. But it's a lie! There are lots of great ways to relax and celebrate without booze. It makes you sick, it steals your joy. The first one feels good, but then it gives you a headache, makes you feel tired and sad and hopeless, ruins your mind. Then there's tomorrow. No energy, deep depression. No room for hobbies or chores or fun or time with your loved ones. Just trying to get over being sick. Is that the life you want?
Or, you can go home, have a big glass of juice or tea, chill on the patio or on the computer for a while, then whatever you want. Then feel great tomorrow.
The rule is, you can't decide to drink until after you go home and read and post on SR. So don't even think about it until you've been home. This little girl is asking you for a chance!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
snow.jpg (24.2 KB, 173 views)
Old 10-05-2018, 06:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you, Karen. That little girl looks like a real sweetheart! She deserves the best!

I will keep posting. I guess I’ll do what ever it takes at this point. I don’t want to be the “drinking” me any more. I am done for tonight and will have a fresh start tomorrow.

It’s funny that you posted a pic of yourself as a young girl. I just received a few pics of myself as a child, which I had not seen before. I was really moved by them. I cried as I thought about how that cute little girl (me!) needed love and stability.”..a chance” like you said. She did not receive it. I thought I had healed a lot through the years (through my faith and loving husband), but somehow, I still feel like that little girl who just wants to be loved.

Oh boy. Forgive me. Just working through the junk which probably causes me to turn back to the wine.

Thx again, Karen. I’m glad you’re here posting! You are doing great.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Alice, I hope you will have relief from the procedure.

Suze, are you ok?
Old 10-05-2018, 10:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good morning, Saturday morning.

Thanks too all for the commiserations re my Koi.
Dee – I like that quote you posted :
"that alcohol wasn;t his problem it was his solution".
Only when we realise that it isn’t the solution is when we can move forward.

Quit, glad you keep posting, because it is one of your best crutches – use it to its full extent. Good luck friend, you can do this, because you want to do it.

Karen, that picture of you and your post regarding your memories of that time brought tears to my eyes. I wish I could give you one loooong hug! Love the idea that you are finally giving “that kid a chance” – she more than deserves it! I get the sense that you are very resolved at this stage, that your positives are much stronger than your negative thoughts … I like that !
Keep at it , you are doing well, Queenie ! 😊

Alice , hope your procedure went well and that you get relief from that pain. Keep us posted to as how you are feeling. Envious of your Zen room – sounds great.
So glad you made it through the bike night – must have been difficult – but you did it !
About the moods baseline : I think it is too early for me to tell – 40 odd days – but I find my moods getting a little worse, compared to a week or 2 weeks sober. Not worse as such , more like unpredictable . Couple of days up and then suddenly very down. Think it takes more time than we realise for our brains to heal after years of abuse.

Matrac, how did your evening alone pan out? Was thinking of you , although with the time zones, probably sent you good vibes much too early (my bedtime, your luchtime). ? Your dog really is a cutie !! Can’t believe she was grey when a little pup.

Red, how you doing? Your natural products sound great – well , all except the toothpaste –
That sounds a bit … strange? Does it at least have a minty taste ? Or just salty?
Yes, I’m bilingual, Afrikaans is my home language. (By the way , my cousin just immigrated to NZ . Still adjusting , but sounds like it’s going well . Bit of useless info )

SweetP – I hope you get well soon . Stay strong. Be kind to yourself and treat yourself as you would a child who was feeling ill . Lots of TLC. And I’m a firm believer in ginger and honey tea.

Suze- your husband sounds wonderful with the support he is giving you and talking you through that “thought” you got. Hope you are having a great time? Sorry about your son’s poor hamster – that is just sad – on the day you were about to leave !

Tony – enjoy your trip. Hope to hear all about it soon ?
Barbs: Still enjoying your camping trip ?

Darkling, Bekind, Fallow, Zoey, Hills, Bob, TimeTo, Mike, Odaat, David , and anyone I missed …. Hi, how are you doing?

Let’s all have a good weekend and keep our grubby little paws far, far away from the self-destruct button !!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 10-06-2018, 05:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ayers, I remain sober, was so tired after work that on my evening alone I was in bed by 9pm! Thanks for asking!

Karen and Red, OI also had a very challenging upbringing. I rose above it and put myself through college. I married a wonderful man and we had a son with special needs. I worked very little when he was in school. Some years I home schooled him . I spent a lot of time taking him to various therapies and helping him with school work. I led an isolated life when I needed friends the most. I think that was definitively a trigger for me. I started with binge drinking and that led to more regular drinking. Now my son is in college. He has issues still now and then, but is doing so much more than I even imagined he would. Now, I’m taking care of myself! It’s time for you as well!
Bonnie