Notices

Class of August 2018 Part 6

Old 10-08-2018, 11:53 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Red, thanks for mentioning the 30 day alcohol experiment. I’m going to look at that. I have the book...need to read it again! And again I guess. ��
Old 10-08-2018, 12:01 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

So today I did something nice for myself -- a little reward for my sobriety so far and motivation to keep going. I signed up for Smile Direct -- I'm going to get my teeth straightened!

And honestly, it's not even that much of a splurge. I was thinking about how much money I've saved since I stopped drinking. Figure $15/day for a bottle of wine, and that bottle often turned into two bottles, plus about $2 each time I bought a small bottle of vodka, plus the exorbitant price of wine when eating out at a restaurant... I figure I am saving somewhere between three and five hundred dollars a month. Invisalign braces only cost $85/month, so I can have a smile and still wind up with more cash in my pocket at the end of the day.

I know we focus on one day at a time here, but for those of you who are struggling, maybe think about all of the money you're saving and plan to reward yourself with something that will make you feel happy and good about yourself. I used to reward myself with wine. Jeez -- that's like rewarding myself with a punishment. I certainly didn't feel good about myself after either.

Take good care of yourselves today, Augustinians.

Last edited by Aliceiw; 10-08-2018 at 12:03 PM. Reason: forgot a word
Old 10-08-2018, 05:18 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Barbs, how much longer do you have to be there? I hate that you're having such a hard time. Scream back at it if you need to. I hope you make it home safe and sober. Sending positive vibes your way!

We've been missing you Bekind! Hope you can get some time here soon.

Ayers it's wonderful to hear about your mind shift, to not wanting to go, and not feeling you're missing out. It is a victory! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Dee, I took what you said with me all day. Leaving work I thought about it while I was having my usual crazy 'maybe I should drink' thoughts.
One of my co-workers said, "Tonight is coctail night! I am definitely going home to have a drink!" and it got into my head, of course. But then I thought it through. I realized I really like being sober more than I like drinking. That shut the AV up fast!
I'm going to work on that plan some more, though. I am never 'out of the woods' or cured.

I'm not a regular tv watcher, either. I hate commercials. I have a Roku and watch netflix, youtube and such. I sometimes watch news there, but not much. USA news is so horrible now. Enough said on that, don't even get me started!

I do love the suggestion of 'alcohol intervention' on youtube. I will try that.

Those who have relapsed and are still with us, please don't feel bad. We are not giving up, that's the only time we should feel bad, is if we give up.

I'm sorry your partner doesn't help more, Red. You're right that it's your battle, but partners are supposed to be on our side. I wonder if you could write him a script. Like, "If I say I'm craving wine, say this..."
But, I'm single and loving it, so not the best one to give relationship advice!

Go Mike on 78 days! Awesome! I love this that you said, "When a drinking situation presents itself spontaneously or out of habit, I have to slow down and let that inner voice that keeps me sober speak to me. It’s getting a little easier. "
Yes! I will remember that!
Old 10-08-2018, 06:03 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Administrator

Matrac I found that if I'm thinking of healthy positive ways not to drink, noone can think too much

I'm sorry for those who drank recently. I really hope you guys can find whatever it is you need to put the bottle down and leave it down

D
Old 10-08-2018, 08:15 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Quick check in. I’m home safe and sound. I stayed strong but more importantly had a great time doing it. More tomorrow. I’ll admit I had the crazy thought I should reward myself for not drinking with...wait for it...drinking of course, but it passed.

I read here each morning first thing and each night last thing. Thanks guys!

I’ll post more tomorrow and catch up!
Old 10-08-2018, 08:21 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you Suze

D
Old 10-08-2018, 08:57 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Heya all, a dull day of too much internet and making sure my father takes his eyedrops for his coming cataract surgery.

Rainy grey pre snow weather which I actually don't mind.

No huge news. Not temptation to drink but wish I got a bit more exercise and ate better today.

Okay then. Tomorrow is another day.

Courage you all as you do a restart and as always thanks for coming right back!
Old 10-09-2018, 01:47 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hey everyone. I’m still sober and no real desire to drink thankfully. I haven’t posted in a long time. There are so many threads I jdont think I’ll have time to read back through them. But I’ve read through part 6 now to get a quick catch up. I hope everybody works through their most recent AVs and can stay sober.

I’ll try and post a bit more often as I’m not as busy as I have been the last two months. I’ve been working on my own projects 12 hrs a day so had no time for anything else, including drinking thankfully.

I hope you all have a good week.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:04 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Have a great day today everyone. I am carrying you all in my thoughts and prayers.
Nice to see you Double Dee!
Suze, I'm so glad you're back and made it through with no drinking and had a great time, too. Very inspirational.
I love hangover free mornings. May I never forget what a gift they are. When I'm sober, this hour every morning is the best part of my day.
Praying none of us ever pick up that drink again.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:18 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Tuesday morning check-in. The AV is kicking in a bit today. I'll be on my own for the next couple of days (Nobody will know!). But you guys would know. I'm oing to keep strong.

Yesterday I started planning for my wedding. It's going to be small, casual and sweet I hope. I am thinking about the obligation to have an open bar. I don't mind that at all, really. I certainly wouldn't begrudge normal drinkers a bar at a wedding. I do hope that by the time the date rolls around I'll hardly be thinking about drinking at all.

Have a great, peaceful day. It's a dark, rainy one here in TX. A good day to snuggle up with a good book. Maybe I'll check out some of the titles that have been mentioned in here. Stay strong, y'all!
Old 10-09-2018, 06:58 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Alice, I didn't know that you are getting married! Congrats! How wonderful …

I have a question for the group. I tried a SMART meeting yesterday and wondered what people thought about SMART? Red and Quit, one thing SMART believes is that when you slip, you don't start back at Day 1. You've learned too much during your sober days to write them off. So if you slip after 40 days, but then stop drinking again, your count is 40 plus 1. I like that view because those 40 sober days were hard earned, and I learned a lot about my strengths and weaknesses.

Anyway, I'd like to know what folks think about SMART … they have on-line meetings which is the only way I can really attend.

Happy Tuesday, everyone!
Old 10-09-2018, 07:30 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Day 1 again. Sick of this crap.

I feel the need to get something off my chest because my head has been in a bad spot lately.

I’ve been thinking about my ex-girlfriend a lot lately. Missing her, dreaming about her almost every night. And I’ve just been feeling very sad and lonely lately. We broke up at the beginning of this year after trying to make things work for a while long-distance. She moved away for grad school last year and it was around this time last year where our relationship started to suffer because of the distance. So I’ve just been getting flooded with thoughts and emotions about her lately, and it hurts, and it sucks. I guess I think drinking is helping. It’s not. I should know better by now. I feel like absolute garbage today.

I am so fed up with alcohol and with myself. Alcohol is a lying piece of **** and I should know better than to fall for its BS.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:54 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoeydog View Post

I have a question for the group. I tried a SMART meeting yesterday and wondered what people thought about SMART? Red and Quit, one thing SMART believes is that when you slip, you don't start back at Day 1. You've learned too much during your sober days to write them off. So if you slip after 40 days, but then stop drinking again, your count is 40 plus 1. I like that view because those 40 sober days were hard earned, and I learned a lot about my strengths and weaknesses.

Anyway, I'd like to know what folks think about SMART … they have on-line meetings which is the only way I can really attend.

Happy Tuesday, everyone!
Thanks Zoey!

With regard to SMART, I think whatever helps! I've read some of the literature from them, and I agree with most of what I've read. As for not going back to day one and the reason for that? Depending upon the situation, I couldn't agree more. I think for those who have a small slip it's demoralizing to have to start counting all over again. I am fine with the idea that this is primarily a learning journey and that as long as you keep at it you shouldn't have to set the clock back. The author of the book "Unbroken Brain" actually sees alcoholism as a learning disorder. That makes sense to me.

Where did you find the online SMART meetings? I'd like to give that a try!
Old 10-09-2018, 08:25 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mns1 View Post
Day 1 again. Sick of this crap.

I feel the need to get something off my chest because my head has been in a bad spot lately.

I’ve been thinking about my ex-girlfriend a lot lately. Missing her, dreaming about her almost every night. And I’ve just been feeling very sad and lonely lately. We broke up at the beginning of this year after trying to make things work for a while long-distance. She moved away for grad school last year and it was around this time last year where our relationship started to suffer because of the distance. So I’ve just been getting flooded with thoughts and emotions about her lately, and it hurts, and it sucks. I guess I think drinking is helping. It’s not. I should know better by now. I feel like absolute garbage today.

I am so fed up with alcohol and with myself. Alcohol is a lying piece of **** and I should know better than to fall for its BS.
Ugh Mike. breakups are right down there with death in my book. It can hurt beyond hurt. As you know, drink tons of water today and do 5 minutes of being sober at a time if you need to.

I've thought a lot about what is each of our problems that we solve with alcohol. I remember Tony slipped after having a time feeling a sense of futility. I can see how drinking would numb that for him. I drink out of boredom, loneliness and sometimes depression. Curious what you all see as your problem that you solve with alcohol?

And a final thought for you all: if you haven't read Russell Brandt's essay on addiction, it really is worth it.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...-without-drugs

Hey ho all, keep at whatever your morning/evening/afternoon/wee-hours bring. Just try to go to bed sober!
Old 10-09-2018, 08:48 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Back from our short cruise. Let's just say that it led to another "relapse".

I intend to get back on track tomorrow. I don't want to join another group so I'll post here again if that is ok?

I've had a couple of drinks today with a colleague so tomorrow will have to be Day 1.

Best Regards,

JT
Old 10-09-2018, 09:00 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

So glad you're back Tony! Of course you can post here. I kind of never really left this group either. It really is a great bunch.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:14 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Alice, it's smartrecovery.org. You have to sign up (like SR), and there are meeting times posted for each day. I've never done AA, so I'm not sure how it's different.

Nice to have you back Tony. Several of us are coming back from slips or relapses. Your body is thanking you for every sober day … so you're not back on Day 1! Hang in there …

Mike, you hang in there too. Hard to imagine, but this will get easier. You're in my thoughts.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:21 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Time I posted what I have been thinking about for a while: I've looked into many Class threads on SR, and right from the start this August 2018 Class impressed me with the calibre of the posts, and the goodwill, experience, wisdom and commitment collectively shown here by the class-members.

I believe you will all do well in the end - keep coming back, you all care about each other in a way that's great to see.

Be well.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:02 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Day 2...got myself out of bed early again and hit the pavement for one hour. It’s going to be my saving grace I think.

Mike, I feel for you. Break ups are so hard. Alcohol is a liar and we keep falling for its tricks. I think you should focus on the new and sober you, and get that guy ready to meet a special girl. You sound like a wonderful young man, and I’m sure there’s a great relationship waiting around the corner for you.

Welcome back, Tony. You are part of this group. Many of us have slipped (including myself) but I’m staying in this class.

I’ll try to post more later.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoeydog View Post

Happy Tuesday, everyone!
I don't know much about smart but I certainly relate to the number of days because I don't feel like I'm back on day 5 as such because I've only had 3 days of drinking in the last 48 days and they weren't all in a row.. I think whatever works for each individual as long as we aren't pulling the wool over our eyes lol