Notices

Class of October 2018 Part 1

Old 10-01-2018, 01:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am finishing up day one. I don't usually have lots of withdrawal symptoms, thankfully. Looking forward to a good night's sleep. Successfully turned down an offer to go out drinking tonight.

How many are trying to quit after relapsing before? I've tried and failed to stay sober, but I do get a lot out of the sober days when I add them all up. I've been doing much better this year than I have in previous years. But with alcoholism, I fear some day I will have "just one," and I'll never stop ever again. It's scary how quickly this illness can spiral. Lots of stories on this site attest to that.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:38 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TeeJayVerm View Post
Sounds like we have a strong October 1 contingency... We can all celebrate 30 days sober on Halloween!
For Halloween, I am going as a sober person who can drive anywhere in the evenings, who doesn't have bloodshot eyes, and who has money in their bank account because they didn't waste it all on booze! Sounds scary good .
Old 10-01-2018, 02:39 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am on Day 9...have been feeling up and down. This is the longest without a drink this year. I have been eating terribly since I stopped drinking though and have put on a few kg's in the 9 days believe it or not. Today I start to eat more healthily..
Old 10-01-2018, 02:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Take care of yourself champ72
Old 10-01-2018, 03:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Everyone

D
Old 10-01-2018, 03:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I've been sober for a week but am being slammed by insomnia. Slept about 3 hours yesterday evening. Woke up around midnight. Been awake since. I can really feel the sleep deprivation effects now. So tired but my mind won't shut down. I think I can probably expect another couple weeks of this...
Old 10-01-2018, 03:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Hi everyone I am in the August class but thought I would say hi in here. I am definitely ready for sober October.

If I dont drink, I wont have to try and get sober again!
Old 10-01-2018, 04:06 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I was ready to go to sleep early to go easy on day 1, but I felt a sudden burst of energy so went for a run. Always amazing how quickly I start feeling better when I get sober. It really is poison.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:08 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It is amazing
Old 10-01-2018, 04:21 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Back on the wagon for Sober October.
One day at a time.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:47 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GreenSweater View Post
I am finishing up day one. I don't usually have lots of withdrawal symptoms, thankfully. Looking forward to a good night's sleep. Successfully turned down an offer to go out drinking tonight.

How many are trying to quit after relapsing before? I've tried and failed to stay sober, but I do get a lot out of the sober days when I add them all up. I've been doing much better this year than I have in previous years. But with alcoholism, I fear some day I will have "just one," and I'll never stop ever again. It's scary how quickly this illness can spiral. Lots of stories on this site attest to that.
I'm back after several short-duration relapses. I have about 4 years total sober time, but only about 18 months continuous. I get stupid ideas that I can moderate, and though it isn't as bad as it once was, it does seriously detract from my life and health and I want to quit again for good this time.

Today I had a sharp craving as I walked to my car after a long day at work--that's my usual time to buy some beer and go home (I used to drink vodka but have quit that entirely). I said to myself, it's just a craving and it will pass. So I got in the car and drove and made a big meal once I got in the front door to my house and sure enough, craving is gone and I'm going to bed happily sober.

The wisdom is distract yourself and almost always the cravings will pass in 5-15 minutes. It does work. So does eating something, most especially ice cream

Hope everyone's day went well. I'm off to an early bedtime, which is another way I can forget about cravings and catch up on much-needed rest.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:22 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

It’s the first time for me making this promise to myself. I’ve never been an every day drinker so the first few days shouldn’t be hard, but I have major concerns about social events and the weekends.

Too many years of too many wasted mornings/days after a bender not to make a change now.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:05 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GreenSweater View Post
How many are trying to quit after relapsing before?
I've had five periods of sobriety this year ranging from a week to four weeks.

The key difference this time is that my relapse lasted two days. On other occasions, the relapses were a lot longer (typically a month). Also, I am finding the activity less and less enjoyable as the year goes on... because I am thinking way more about the consequences now than ever before.

Today, I had a few bouts of anxiety. The 3-4 hours of drinking that I am not really enjoying due to guilt is not worth the 6-8 hours of anxiety I felt today.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:19 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Another thing I am focusing on is to not isolate myself. I went out to dinner with a group of primarily non-drinking friends, including one who is 15 months sober. I get to meet up with a couple of them again on Wednesday.... need to take every opportunity to spend time with them.

I am also exploring doing a couple of "Meet Ups" locally... a weight loss group and Toastmasters.

Finally, I'll be working in more regular visits to the health club... especially now as the weather starts getting crappy in the Upper Midwest.

Also, have found a few Hulu shows to binge watch.

Busy, busy, busy... I need to keep busy!!
Old 10-01-2018, 11:26 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Morning from day 2 ! Got the kids off to school then went for a nice long walk ! First day of not working since April and have a 1000 things to do in the house ! Have a good day all xx
Old 10-02-2018, 12:18 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi all I would like to join.
I am a heavy daily drinker and have just woken up hangover free, first time for a long time.
Hoping to stay strong and focused this time and a big thing for me is to remember why I am giving up.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:40 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Kaily and Strawberry

D
Old 10-02-2018, 05:25 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Good morning folks,

I'm back to SR after a while away. Awful winter/spring of 2018; laid off from work -- which meant "drowning my sorrows". Now I have a new job -- loving it, but need to stop "celebrating"!

I'm looking forward to getting support and being a support!

Fishy
Old 10-02-2018, 05:36 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Have a great day and make it count, everyone!
Old 10-02-2018, 05:40 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome fishoutawatta - good to see you

D