Old 09-27-2018, 05:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard puppypower

Congrats on making it through all those cravings guys

D
Old 09-27-2018, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day 11... Dibs on first "Non-Dee74" post in this thread.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I used to like you TJV but now I’m not so sure. I need to be able to call SHOTGUN on one new thread, one time. It’s my birthday next month, please let me. Pleeeeeasssseeeeee...

Morning all. Didn’t sleep well, that’s fine but I’ll be on guard today as tiredness is a trigger.

I’m dropping son to school, SO to work then working for theee hours. I’ve got a list to work through, my favourite type of morning.

Then I’m meeting my daughter for lunch, then home. I’m going to pub at 6.30 for a football meeting but I’m comfortable with this, I’ve arranged it away from my local. My local is a huge trigger so this simple thing will make this manageable for me...scratch that, it will be enjoyable. Nice cup of tea and good company

Have a good one people, I was hanging round SR a lot yesterday, I think feeling a bit ‘drinky’ (if that’s not a word it should be).
Old 09-28-2018, 12:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ben. Love the word 'drinky'

Well done on making it through a 'feeling drinky' day.

Life on retreat is good. I'm just sitting here quietly by the river. I know some here are Christians and others are not, but there is something Jesus says to his disciples that I think everyone can relate to and that is when he says "Come away to a deserted place all by yourselves, and rest a while". That is the invitation of a good retreat.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey, good morning all. I just want to point out how I LOVE avatars here it helps me identify who is posting better. Ben123 I just love your cartoon bird. For Michael to post directly after with his cartoon penguin makes me want to find a cartoon bird for my avatar... maybe over the weekend I can do that

Having the week from hell. Sorry to report that, but it's even worse than I was expecting. Every day there is a new crisis to deal with and I have too much on my plate, both professionally and personally. I have snapped a few times by text to people who have irritated me with their actions. I won't go into details, but it's been tough.

Having said all that, I did not drink. One day (Wednesday) I thought about getting wine more seriously than I would have liked. I ended up riding it out and coming home and taking a nap, having a nice hot dinner and cookies for dessert. The cookies helped. The next day (yesterday) I only thought about wine for about a minute and quickly dismissed it in favor of a bowl of Frosted mini wheats and a hot bath and bed with some TV. I am stressed about the state of our country and watching the news doesn't help, but yet I can't stop myself from knowing what's going on. Oh, this is a bad week.

I hope today will be better. I'm having my car serviced so therefore will work from home. Maybe that will help.

Michael, your retreat sounds heavenly to me right now. Being in a monastery with time to think and reflect....

LHW: great job driving away from the happy hour. That's a tough thing to do. Once I make up my mind I'm going to drink, I usually go through with it because I'm really stubborn like that. I've got to learn more techniques to change those thoughts as well.

Day 12, maybe..... phone is not in front of me
Old 09-28-2018, 05:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone!

Happy Sober Friday! I'm getting ready for my trip and starting to feel like I can make it, sober. I think I will treat myself to a little shopping therapy, it will be a good way to pass some free time! I will try to check in on the mobile app, however I've never had much luck with that...

Stay strong everyone, I know we all deserve a happy fulfilling life.

Let's all make that our reality!
Old 09-28-2018, 06:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just had a lovely, relatively healthy lunch at a Sri Lankan restaurant. Lentils are my favourite and they make my body tick along nicely

I’m thinking of giving up milk - not in tea and stuff, but I drink quite a lot. I’ve noticed a correlation between that and me having low mood. I’ll drop it out for a bit and see how that goes. Once you’ve given up drinking one thing then I guess it’s a downhill slope 😉
Old 09-28-2018, 06:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Drinky? Haha! That's a fun way to put a not-fun situation. Love it.

Michael -- Your retreat sounds wonderful. Enjoy your time away from the sturm und drang.

So yesterday I had to stay at home and keep my puppies in line while workmen did a job in the kitchen. It was a bit boring. I watched TV as I puppy sat and wound up tuning in to the Kavenaugh hearing. Juno, I get it when you say you are distressed at the state of affairs in our country. For those who may not know, Kavenaugh is a supreme court nominee who allegedly molested and attempted to rape a woman during a drunken party when he was in high school back in the 80s.

The senators on the panel questioned him in detail about his drinking habits back then, and I was struck by the way he answered. He kept saying, "I drank BEER. I liked BEER. I still like BEER," emphasizing the word beer as if it would somehow make the senators understand that drinking BEER is different from drinking anything else and far more innocuous. It's strange how a large number of people think of beer and wine as being non-problematic as compared to "the hard stuff."

Another aspect of the hearings was the fact that Kavenaugh had a buddy back then who was allegedly in the room with him when the alleged event took place. That individual, who refuses to appear and be questioned at the hearings, was an admitted alcoholic for many years and wrote a book about his adventures called "Wasted."

I was thinking about that word -- "wasted." It's an apt title for a book because back in the 80s that was the common slang for getting drunk or high or whatever. ("Hey lets go downtown after school and get wasted!") I was wasted many times in the 80s 90s and beyond. It strikes me as sadly ironic, that term wasted, since at age 50 something, I look back and see how much of my life was truly wasted on alcoholic pursuits. Not all of it, thankfully, but damned sure enough.

So Enough! I don't want to waste another minute of life being drunk. (Get thee behind me, Drinky!)

Back in the August group, a lot of the classmates were 50 something. I'm not sure what the median age in September is, but I think when you hit late 40s-50s, TIME becomes so important. Death becomes your neighbour. You look into his next-door house and wonder what it's like in there in a way you never did in your teens or 20s, and how you spend your time in your own house becomes something you begin to be more and more concerned with.

I admire and am envious of those in their 20s who've made the decision to get sober and to live clean, healthy lives. I'm not sure I would have been able to do that in my 20s because time seemed infinite to me then. You rock 20-30 somethings. Keep going! It's worth it. It will all be worth it when you can look back and say, I lived truthfully, organically, fully, and was fully present in my life. Wish I could say that about my past. I can't, but I'm damned sure gonna say it about my future.

Make the most of this happy, sober Friday everyone. Try to choose your thoughts. That's not always easy, I know, but its worth a try. Hugs to those who are struggling.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Still sticking with this through Part Two! I'm on Day 4. Not gonna lie, today might not be the worst with the shakes and everything, but I've accumulated about 3 hours of sleep the last few days and my whole body is tired and aching. I'm making it through work barely.
Today marks my first Friday night trying to resist the urge. It doesn't help because I'm home alone with my dog till around midnight when my boyfriend gets off work and my drinking has mainly been because I'm alone and had nothing else to occupy me but my habit. Also, my 28th birthday is coming up in a few weeks and all my friends are trying to plan things for us to do and go out, but I haven't let anyone know, except my immediate family, that I'm getting sober. Honestly, to even think about taking a drink makes my hands and insides quiver. Please keep me in your thoughts. Tonight will surely be a true test for me.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thinking of you Roadtorecovery. Hang in there!
Old 09-28-2018, 01:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day two.

Wow... Yesterday's decision to get sober couldn't have come at a better time. The first night with no beer in months and my son wakes up at 2:00 am with croup and then has an asthma attack. On the drive to the ER I kept thinking how lucky we were that I could wasn't drinking!

Glad you are all here!
Old 09-28-2018, 03:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well the weekend is here and those are the toughest. Really long, physically exhausting day yesterday that usually finished with a celebratory drink. I did not. Today I just plowed thru to get to the end. Again, Friday night is especially a trigger for libations. I will not. Bike ride in the morning, the cutting and splitting and stacking wood with my son tomorrow. I look forward to the harvest season and enjoy the demands of preparing for winter.
Keep strong everyone and have a great weekend.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Scrappy-do - it’s hard when those we love are hurting.

Roadto - withdrawal is ****. Not sure what anyone can do apart from it serve you to not want to do it again?? That’s claiming a positive that isn’t there 😂

Saturday tomozza! (That’s the best I can do for positives)
Old 09-28-2018, 06:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Low grade headache and very irritable. I've been here before. Going to bed before I bite someone's head off for no reason.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you were able to be there for your son puppypower

All you guys are doing great - hang in there - better times are ahead

D
Old 09-28-2018, 10:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Morning all.

Football this morning, then my sons birthday ‘party’ Which is taking kids trampolining. Then a couple of them saying over tonight

Why are my children so perfect but other people’s so annoying ? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Have a good one folks
Old 09-28-2018, 11:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Morning all.

Puppypower - what a nice immediate benefit of being sober.

It's a beautiful bright crisp morning here in the monastery. But it's flipping cold! Apparently the abbot won't consider turning the heating on until late October. But it's beautifully quiet, and I'm about to go and have a walk around the grounds and down to the river. It's very easy to be sober here, being immersed in such peaceful spirituality. And the food is excellent
Old 09-29-2018, 03:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
nmd

Hi class! Up early this morning enjoying my coffee. Looks like I'm at 2 weeks completely sober.

Michael, your retreat at a monastary sounds really cool. Is it active monastary with an (i would assume Catholic) order? I'm a non practicing Catholic, but always found the history of monastic orders really interesting.

I have a jamboree with the kids scout troop today, so not much chance of relaxation or getting chores done today. I cant complain though, the time away from other responsibilities is a relief in its own way.

Have a good day everone!
Old 09-29-2018, 04:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

For those who are first timers to a class, we move each months thread to our sister forum - the Daily Support forum - at the end of every month.

We do this so the new monthly thread for October can take your place here in Newcomers.

The location is the only thing that changes - this September thread will go on and on....

I'll move the thread on the First of October my time

D