Notices

Class of September 2018 Part Two

Old 10-02-2018, 10:11 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Morning all - early start again. The cafe was busy yesterday, ideal for keeping me occupied, I enjoy it

I’m walking in again this morning, it’s an hour but the weathers dry so a good start to the day

These early nights are so foreign to me, I’m not sure I’d be exaggerating if I said they are more of a culture change than not drinking??!!

Have a good day people
Old 10-03-2018, 04:30 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Good morning friends. Ready for another day. I mentioned there are some major hurdles I need to address. The biggest is my wife. She doesn't want me to stop drinking. She understands if I want to cut down, but not abstain. In fact, whenever I stop, she kind of cranks hers up. She's drinking at least a bottle of wine a night. (1.75l every day and a half). When I have asked her to help me quit in the past, she's the first to get me booze when I cave. Drinking has been so much a part of our lives for 20 years she's afraid I won't like her if I'm sober. Also think she feels we will miss out on the fun as all of our friends, family and get togethers revolve around drinking. It's not big parties type stuff, just us getting together at each other's homes and drinking. My drinking was starting to scare me. I told her if I couldn't stop I was going into rehab. Don't think she takes me seriously. And, I know I can't control her consumption/addiction, at some point it greatly affects my sobriety.
I'm not ready to confront this yet as I need to work more on my commitment to being sober, but it is looming in the distance. Last time I tried, I ended up giving in and started drinking again after month and half sober.
Right now I need to focus on me. Which is difficult because I have always put others needs ahead of mine. But, this gets down to the nitty gritty of my addiction. Needs to be dealt with once and for all.
Not expecting responses, it's just very therapeutic for me to put it out there. It's "posting" on SR has the biggest impact for me, not the lurking.
I'm doing this. I'm sober. I'm happy to be it too.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:08 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most of us feared that people wouldn't like us sober - but I can say that overwhelmingly my relationships are stronger now for having given up drinking.

I am finally essentially and authentically me - that has to be a good thing.

I hope your wife will come to face her fear finalround.

D.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:13 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Bumboid -- thanks for the book recommendation! That sounds really interesting. I remember learning once that it is necessary for all mammals to sleep and to dream. Without dreams, we wind up going literally crazy. (There was an experiment done in which people were allowed to sleep, but as soon as their eye movement indicated that they were dreaming, they were woken up. They all went psycho.) I wonder why that is.

Finalround -- I'm sorry you aren't getting support from your wife. That truly is difficult. I was in the same situation with my ex-husband. We both drank for 20+ years. It was just a part of our relationship. We met in a bar, and he was the bartender for crying out loud. When I wanted and needed to quit, he would bring home bottles of vodka, mainly because he liked the "less inhibited" version of me. It was rough and a vicious cycle. I eventually decided that in order to become sober and to become the best possible version of myself I could be, I needed to leave the marriage. I did, and I'm happy now living in a new city and building a new life. At the time, leaving looked like the scariest thing ever, but it's worked out for the best. I hope your wife will support you eventually. just keep doing what you're doing and maybe she will come around so that the two of you can support each other.

I'm feeling strong in sobriety lately, but I know I have to remain constantly on my guard. Today will be a nice, quiet, home day -- It's a bit rainy and overcast. I'll do laundry, bake cookies, drink a lot of tea and maybe watch a movie. I love these kinds of restful days.

Be well all!
Old 10-03-2018, 05:31 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Happy Wednesday!

Had a productive day, with no cravings
I think my need to consume booze while visiting family was my way of escaping the reality that I don't relate to them like I want to....I am so different from my siblings and my parent, our values, mannerisms, and worldviews are complete opposites. I am working on accepting them the way they are, and letting go of hoping they will change.

I'm focused more on what I need to change, stop using alcohol as an escape. I am fully present on this trip, and sometimes it isn't pretty, dysfunctional families seldom are. I remain sober, and happy that I am beginning to accept things for what they are.....the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Be well and stay relapse free!

Keep rockin' Rocktober!!
Old 10-03-2018, 07:00 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Wildflower, there's a saying I swear I've read somewhere on this site (sarcasm)...something about accepting the things I cannot change (them), changing the things I can (me), and wisdom to know the difference.
You sound emboldened and sure. Inspiring for me. I'm going to a friends house tomorrow night for Thursday night football. Same friends we typically hang with. I will not drink. Going with the "soberoctober" story for now. My wife will be working so I won't need to worry about that part. Keep me in your thoughts.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:17 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Final round,

I know how hard it can be to hang with old drinking pals when we need to be sober. I used to tell my friends that it wasn't settling well with me (wine), or that I was trying a healthier approach to life.

I know you can enjoy the evening sober! Be well
Old 10-04-2018, 03:59 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

I can sense the little kid in you awaiting your hike to arrive. I'm sure you've been tracking it's progress every day....lol. I'm excited for you Bumboid. Will you be waiting on the front step or staring out the window?
Autumn here is really beautiful. I've missed it the pass few years but not this year. Sunday, going hiking with my son at a natural chasm in the woods. Then I found out about a car show and craft fair in one of the old New England mill towns. Looking forward to it.
It's officially 1 week completely sober. Now I feel some traction I will keep track.
Got that hint of a cold feeling that always shows up shortly after quitting. Better than a brain fogged hangover. Have a great day !
Old 10-04-2018, 04:18 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hopeful, nmd, Michael, you still with us? Hope you are all well.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:00 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Congrats guys! Way to go!

Im still here,sober, and feeling better day by day.

I've been listening to Marc Lewis Lectures on Youtube this week.
He is a developmental psychology professor and his lectures are on his theory of what is going on in the addicts brain.

I found something i like and look forward to learning about.

Have a good night everyone and happy sober week to us
Old 10-04-2018, 03:02 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

He has a book I'm going to check out as well, as he is a recovered addict himself.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:44 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you hopeful. Let us know the book title.
I knew it Bumboid. Did you take a pic of your new bike to stare at while you are at work? Never mind, I know you did.
Anyone else eating everything in sight? Man, I can't stop.
I was concerned I was taking in too much sugar lately as I'm drinking 3-4 cups of coffee a day (love coffee sober). I only put one sugar in. Then I checked how much sugar was in a can of coke (rum cokes were my drink). 10 teaspoons in each can!!!
I think I'll be fine with the coffee. My doc will be ecstatic with my sugar levels next visit!
Old 10-04-2018, 08:13 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Home from watching football game...sober. Tired. Off to bed. Goodnight all.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:10 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Hey Finalround -- Don't beat yourself up for the sugar. I found that early on I craved sugar too. I think everyone does. Listen to your body and give it what it wants -- apart from alcohol. I discovered cotton candy grapes are a great thing to have on hand when the sugar jonesing starts.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:33 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Good job finalround and everyone.
We are in it to succeed !
I find i crave sweets more as well. I'm trying to find an organic hot chocolate because i really like hot chocolate lately and chocolate covered pretzels. yum.yum yum
I'm off for a day now. Very happy.
The book I'm going to read and will let you know my review, is called

Memoirs Of an Addicted Brain, by Marc Lewis
Old 10-05-2018, 03:38 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

I find i like pizza too.
I make a smoothie every morning and pack it full of nutrients and greens to get my vitamins.
And I'm making sure I eat supper every day at the same time to build a routine.
I try and buy organic as additivies etc, effect me mentally, but i still get snack type foods just buy it in the organic section or the ones that are real food but still yummy.
I love ice cream. Also i love eating oatmeal cereal as a snack i find the B vitamins help my mood as well.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:39 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Happy Sober Weekend everyone
Old 10-05-2018, 04:12 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Just checking in briefly. Ended up in an ambulance yesterday that took me from dr office to hospital. I was very sick (as I have mentioned with the bloating and pain). They took more tests and not only do I have those fibroid tumors, I now have diverticulitis. On some antibiotics and feeling better. I'm supposed to rest, no exercise, and liquid diet for the first several days. Meds are 2 weeks and 3 weeks. CANNOT drink alcohol on this Flagyl. So adding on more sober days through the CANNOT NO MATTER WHAT. Fine with me. Hope everyone is better than me....this has been an extremely painful few weeks. I am so glad they figured out what is was. I'll be back checking in...I'm just a little out of it for now.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:31 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad they found the problem this time LuluBread. Hope you'll feel better soon

D
Old 10-05-2018, 06:29 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hey Lulu, sorry you have to go through this, but glad they have discovered what it is.
Sending healing thoughts your way. Hang in there.