Notices

Class of September 2018 Part Two

Old 09-29-2018, 04:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good morning all! Yesterday was a long day of work and travel, and today I’m putting together one of those stupid pieces of furniture that come in a box and you had no idea you would have to assemble.

Ben, there are studies correlating milk to many health issues, including cancer. I cut it out years ago, but sometimes cheese trips me up!

Alice, I’m also in my 50s. I wasted far too many years. Others got married and had kids, and I got wasted, as you say.

RtoR, stay strong! Imagine how great it would be to slide into 28 healthy and sober.

Michael, I’m going to take a few days off and go to my favorite place in the mountains. My form of retreat and peace, out of the city and close to the beauty of nature. Maybe even splurge on a massage.

Hope everyone has a great sober weekend!
Old 09-29-2018, 05:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good Morning to all.

Not much going on with me except a yoga class later this morning and visit from some out of town friends late this afternoon.

Michael, I do have to say the retreat sounds really wonderful. I would love to do something like that.

Last night I tried my first Refuge Recovery women only telephone meeting. It was pretty good. Dialed in to a confidential conference line. For safety reasons, you have to e-mail someone to get the number and passcode and you must speak your name even if you don't want to share. If the facilitator can see that someone is on the line but did not speak their name, they will end the call immediately. I like the extra steps to ensure safety for the participants. The meeting was a similar format to the online one I did a couple days ago just on the phone instead of video. I would definitely do it again.

I hope you all have a great Saturday.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good morning group!

My flight leaves in 2 hours, and I'm off to see my family. I will be thinking of you all while I fight to stay clean on this trip. My family is extremely dysfunctional. I've packed my sober "tool box" and plan to use it...daily. Just knowing that you all are here, anytime I need extra support is a great comfort to me. Thanks guys, and take good care...WF

Old 09-29-2018, 05:29 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can do this WF - Give yourself permission to stay sober, ok?

D
Old 09-29-2018, 05:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You can do this WF - Give yourself permission to stay sober, ok?

D
Thank you DEE...I like the way you put that....

I GIVE MYSELF PERMISSION TO STAY SOBER!!!!!

****No need to jump on the crazy train, be the observer, not a participant.

I can do this!
Old 09-29-2018, 08:02 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good Saturday morning everyone! I hope we all made it through the Friday night witching hours.

So tomorrow this group moves into a new forum. I can't believe how quickly September has flown by. I'm committing to a sober October. Who's with me?
Old 09-29-2018, 08:40 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

County Fair this am! Hello cotton candy and petting zoo!
Old 09-29-2018, 09:39 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi, Puppypower. Sounds like your son made it through his asthma attack. How awesome that you were sober and able to take charge of the situation. Hope you have a wonderful day at the zoo.

R2R -- How are you doing today?

Wildflower -- I hope you enjoy your weekend with your family and I hope the AV stays at bay.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:44 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Aliceiw View Post
Good Saturday morning everyone! I hope we all made it through the Friday night witching hours.

So tomorrow this group moves into a new forum. I can't believe how quickly September has flown by. I'm committing to a sober October. Who's with me?

D
Old 09-29-2018, 05:47 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Darn! My morning post got lost when I flipped screens. You all missed it. It was a great day. Beautiful sunny autumn day. Hard bike ride in the morning then cutting and splitting wood all day with my son told the sun started to set. Rewarded myself, and my 2 boys, with a couple of giant T-bones on the grill.
Made it thru the witching hours last night Alice. And tonight too. Heard the liquor store calling as I was driving by so I accelerated right past it, foot to floor! Lol. See you all in October. I'm gonna keep working on this sobriety thing and I could use your help.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:45 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Wow...all day traveling, then dealing with a demanding parent. My AV was working overtime tonight.

Too bad, I'm gonna starve that nasty beast!

Going to bed sober..can't remember ever being sober here...

6 more days to go. One day at a time.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Old 09-29-2018, 11:50 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go to all you guys

D
Old 09-30-2018, 01:22 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Last day of the retreat here. It couldn't have come at a better time - I really needed it.

nmd - yes, it's an active Benedictine (Catholic) monastery. One of my favourite times is meal times Meals are taken in silence (we are not allowed to talk to each other), but one monk reads from a book while the monks and guests eat. It makes meal times really calm and relaxing. I hope your scout jamboree went well - I remember those from when I was young.

yinzer - oh, the joy of flat-pack furniture. I know it well! And a trip to the mountains sounds fantastic. I enjoy a trip to what we call 'mountains' here in the UK, but I think you'd think of them more as hills rather than mountains! Our highest in the UK is 4,400ft, though it still claims a fair number of lives, especially in winter.

LoveHateWhine - I'm glad the Refuge Recovery meeting went well.

wildflower70 - I really like how you describe your approach as 'observing' rather than 'participating'. That's a little phrase I will definitely keep with me in my toolbox!

Alice - Sober October. Yes, please!

Puppypower - the county fair sounds good fun. I hope you enjoyed it.

Finalround - well done on getting past the liquor store at 100mph

Juno - I'm sorry the week has been so hellish. How are you now?

Roadtorecovery - Have you decided how you'll deal with people planning a party for you?

Ben - Did you get to do some trampolining? I'm imagining you pushing all the kids away so you can do it

Bumboid - Do you have a rest day after tonight?

Right, I shall go and enter silence for the last day. It's cloudy here today, but I've been lucky that the last four days have been beautifully sunny with that really clear air that autumn brings.

I'll see you all next month
Old 09-30-2018, 01:30 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

P.S. I'll add one thing that a monk said to us yesterday. Quietness is important to Benedictines, and he said.....

"When about to say something think before you speak, and consider.....

1. Is what I am about to say true?

2. Is what I am about to say kind?

3. Is what I am about to say necessary"
Old 09-30-2018, 04:16 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hi guys

My phone has broken so I am coming on here via an actual computer. There is a lot more stuff when using a lap top than a phone, it looks very different.

I'll get my phone fixed tomorrow I hope, or else I'll put the sim into an old one. I check SR all the time so not being on here is a bit of a worry

I feel very anxious today, but it will pass I'm sure
Old 09-30-2018, 05:17 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Wildflower, i completely understand the stress put in by a "dysfunctional" family. We get together every wed for family dinner and when it's my turn to host I'm especially wound up. Give yourself grace, humility and patience...and an escape route when that doesn't work. I will be here often checking in so post if you need encouragement.
Another gorgeous autumn morning. I woke early to watch Ryder cup and have a coffee sober. Amazing how different my outlook is when I am not drinking. I see nothing but opportunity and beauty out my window.
Ben123, what's got you feeling so anxious this morning?
Michael, great advise on thinking before we speak. I will share that with my son who often blurts out first thing that comes to his head. Very uncomfortable at times.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:35 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, just checking in here before heading to the city for a concert.

I am dealing with a few interpersonal issues, but posted about them on the weekenders thread earlier this morning. If any of you haven't checked out the weekenders thread, you should! Weekends are a tough time for many of us and it is very very active thread....all weekend long!

Hope the weekend was a good one and see you on the "other side" when Dee moves this thread out of here.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:12 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Phones back in the line of the living...just. Battery problems I think

I feel rubbish. Argued with a family member about work on Saturday and went too far. Even sober I say things I regret. Now I feel anxious

I’m sure a good nights sleep will help, but I’m feeling really edgy

Shame because my sons birthday today and we had a great day. I live in my own head sometimes I feel like I’d like to unscrew it and have a rest.

Night all, tomorrow is another day
Old 09-30-2018, 02:47 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by Michael2018 View Post
P.S. I'll add one thing that a monk said to us yesterday. Quietness is important to Benedictines, and he said.....

"When about to say something think before you speak, and consider.....

1. Is what I am about to say true?

2. Is what I am about to say kind?

3. Is what I am about to say necessary"
Great advice, thank you for sharing
Old 09-30-2018, 06:07 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

It'll be in a few hours

There's nothing you guys have to do

D