Notices

Class of August 2018 Part 4

Old 09-04-2018, 08:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of August 2018 Part 4

last part here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-three-20.html (Class of August 2018 Part Three)

D
Old 09-04-2018, 09:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Heya all and welcome to part 4 of the Augustonians (Makes me think of St Augustine who was, from the little I know, a bit of a muck-it-up. If we are going to have a patron saint may he/she be a reformed muck-it-up )

Day 25 done here for me.

I'm reposting the class list of which we have lost quite a few. I so hope they have joined September or found an AA group.

English, Irish, Scots (I get a bit confused)
RAL
JustTony
Kit2017
Pixy1
Recoverywoman25
David Brown
Snufkin
Sweetpecan
Doubledee

US Crowd
ODAATCAT
Suze - Massachusetts
Bekindalways - Rky Mtns
Startingover - wash state
Bobdrop
Metalrose - louisiana
Barbs - massachusets
Alicew - texas
Texasgirl
Matrac- NJ
Jam13
Oregongirlsite
Writinghelps
Teejayverm
Juno11
Sober369/Karen
Itsbeentoolong
Unshackled
Quitnow
Zooeydog

Asia
Seraphine

Down Under
Red78
Forester
Hill
sweetichick

South Africa
ayers

Greece
Strawberry

Some Corner of Planet
Darkling
Mike/mns
H379
Skrapp
Patterson
Midton
Float
Canguy
Timetotry
Fallow

I think it was David who posted the graphic of the path to success. It starts fairly smoothly and then explodes into a scribble. I've felt, August was the smooth easy start (Okay at least after the hangover). We are now headed for the part where this all gets real as we try to incorporate non-drinking into daily life.

Had a good busy day volunteering at the local charity shop (thrift shop here in the US). Also heard from my Dad that my Mom will be going back into hospice (she has Alzheimers and was not supposed to survive last summer but actually flunked out of hospice last winter). It is sad but not unexpected. Lots of family texts and communication which reminds me how good it is to be part of a tribe . . .

. . . . so good night Tribe Augustonian may the community energy be with you all in Australia, Asia, South Africa, Greece and the UK as you wake up and go through your day.

Keep that torch burning the best you can.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day 38

Coffee, Candles, Mindfulness & Sober Recovery with the Augustonians. It’s now the first thing on my mind every morning.

I’m not sure how I feel when I say that (outside of the obvious - heath, wife and faithful pooch) this place is now my priority.

Work - nope.
Money - nope.
Extended family - sorry, nope.
Friends - nope.
Chores - nope.

The list goes on.

This place - which is my ONLY support mechanism for recovery - is now up there in the top four of my priorities as nothing else is on track in my life without my sobreity. BUT that last comment seems to suggest that this is a pragmatic choice that I have made, when in fact it is more of a deeply felt emotional priority. I’m not sure what that really means, but I’m hoping it could be that ‘this’ is ‘really it’? That I have finished drinking for good?

I posted a while ago that ‘forever’ just seemed too long to contemplate not drinking for. But as I think of my feelings for the last few days it hasn’t felt like that at all? I’ve been on a cruise and didn’t drink. I’ve been out to MANY restaurant meals now and haven’t drank. I’ve been to our village pub for a soft drink even more times than that to read the paper, finish the crossword and wind down and haven’t drank. This is becoming my ‘normal’ and it doesn’t seem so daunting anymore?

Ok, ok, ok.... pause. My guard could be down? I need to be careful.... especially as it’s time to reveal I have another short cruise booked for the second week of October.....

I just feel hopeful - and this isn’t an early morning ‘pink cloud’ moment. I’ve been feeling this inner Zen for a few days now. I’m looking at my list of things to do/start/ambitions and feeling excited to get going in earnest on/in my new life - it’s not just going to be an exercise in keeping me busy....

BeKind - thanks for the list but I think we have a few soldiers who are down and wounded in there? I know a couple have moved on to September class (Juno and Midton) and some are sadly missing in action completely (let’s hope they come back?) I’m on my phone in my snoozing house as I type away - and not in my study on my computer - so I cannot complete an ‘active’ group list, but I suspect our active ‘membership’ is close to 60% of what you posted?

That said we ARE still a big group. Evidence of that is in the fact that groups that have been around longer than us (May, June, July 2018) are all still on part 2 or 3 of their communication logs. We’re already on part 4 which means we’re either a big group or suffer from verbosity! Anyway it’s not a competition as I want us all to succeed - it’s just an observation on group size and that we can’t be doing quite so bad?

As I’ve said I’m on my phone, so I can’t check back, but has RAL been around lately? I seem to have missed her posts? I hope I’m wrong?

Leg day at the gym for me. I’m trying to decide if to get it done before a work meeting at 10am or do it afterwards.... I hate leg day... so painful...

Ermmm.... well that’s all from me this morning. Stay strong Augustonians. I’ll look up St Augustine later BeKind.

Resolve & Peace

JT
Old 09-04-2018, 11:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Gooood- MORNING Augustonians !!! 07;00am Wednesday

Spring is really, really here in full force ! How can I NOT be feeling great? I have always been able to smell the seasons , and Spring has it’s own distinct smell – the promise of rain to come – here where I live we have spectacular thunderstorms late afternoon . They last only a couple of minutes , but are truly wonderful , thunder and lightning and huge cumulus clouds , and then suddenly it’s over as if nothing happened , leaving only the clean washed leaves and smell of wet earth . Wonderful !!!

I feel like that today. The last couple of days felt like I was in the middle of that loud, explosive storm, and today I feel as if it has passed. I feel refreshed and washed clean.
Bekind , thanx for the classlist . I love how I picture you all . You come across as someone so caring and loving , I think your name suits you well. You are always doing stuff for others, looking after your sister, looking after your friend’s dog , keeping our classlist rolling, volunteering at charity shop – bless you. So sorry to hear about your Mom’s Alzheimers – it is heartbraking to see people suffer from it. I have a friend who’s mother is suffering from it too and it breaks my heart everytime I see her .

QuitNow < I’m so glad you are feeling better. Day 10 coming up !! Double digits , jay !

Zoey, I am so sorry to hear about your friend. And your dog !!! Hope they are doing better.

JT; YOU are like my conscience – HAHA – but in a good way. You inspire me to get my butt to the gym. I am embarrassed to admit that the gym is literally across the street from my house. But I hate going there. Much prefer walking , but I know I need more than just a stroll. So, I shall, must, will endeavour to haul myself across the street today , albeit with a not-so-happy face .And THIS really made me giggle :” PPS - They say (Daily Telegraph yesterday in the UK) that the new middle aged crisis for men is a) Veganism b) Sport activity challenges (mud runs, 10k challenges, etc). Buying a sports car when you’re a man and reaching middle age is soooooo pre-millennium!”and “We’re already on part 4 which means we’re either a big group or suffer from verbosity!” 😊

Karen , your work with the elderly sounds so satisfying . And a trip to CA coming up – exciting.
I want to find out if there is any way that I can contribute to some kind of community help/aid/program here as well – I think it is very good for the soul to help others . Up till now all I’ve done is crochet scarves for the carguards around here in winter.
Red, I’m up to the part when she’s in Iowa , just had her nose operation , back at AA . Loving it , but I find I really have to concentrate , not the kind of book I can read while the family is watching TV . Please also shout if you have any other book recommendations?

Matrac , wow , well done on 44 days . Fantastic! I can relate to your husband’s wine bottles. Mine is also a light drinker – he has a whiskey when he gets home , maybe 2 – and then on a Sunday a glass or 2 wine , and then that bottle sits in the fridge till next week . It used to drive me bonkers trying to understand how he could make a bottle last sooo long. In my first few days I would open the fridge to get milk out and look the other way – just like my dog when he has done something wrong and gets scolded 😊 , but he now leaves it in the other fridge in the pantry so it’s out of sight.

Bobdrop , congrats on 20 days !
David I loved your graphic – so perfectly describes our path.
Snufkin – you are probably already in Germany ? (these time zone fry my brain) Hope you managed to pack before getting on the plane 😊 (I HATE packing for a trip and also always leave it to the last possible minute)
To all of us celebrating another day sober , be it 1 or 20 or 50 or whatever, let’s keep going and use our class and fellow Augostonians to encourage us to keep going.

Love to you all xx
Old 09-04-2018, 11:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

JT I relate to what you said about "this place" being your priority. This (SR) is my saving grace and part of my gratitude list.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Bekindalways, that’s a huge list! And yes it does start to become really real after initially stopping. The key is to keep an eye on our thoughts and thinking process. Even months down the line.

I’ve not felt part of a group/thread since I initially joined SR many years ago. I am still good friends with some of my initial group. SR can be an essential part of recovery, even years down the line. This thread is very large and hard to keep up but I’m determined to keep following even if I don’t post.

I do hope that anyone that has dropped from the group keeps coming back. No matter how long it takes. Keep going and keep trying.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Pixy , nice to hear from you

I've just looked at a group from March 2013 who now are on Part 55 !!!

Hope we all stick it out and are in it for the long haul , like them.

I see you have been a member for many years Pixy , so here's hoping you have lots of advice and things to share with us .

Last edited by Ayers; 09-05-2018 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Wanted to add
Old 09-05-2018, 01:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Jeesh , sorry , I'm really hogging the posts today !

just concocted the " bestest" refreshing drink (remember its Spring ) if I haven't raved enough about it yet ?

I don't like sweet drinks and have become so bored with water, tea etc.

Tall, pretty (!!!) glass.
Lots of ice
Soda water
Apple juice ( not too much)
Tonic water (Love that bitter taste)
Spring of mint

Voila ! Any other suggestions ?
Old 09-05-2018, 02:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Day 21 here. 3 weeks!
Old 09-05-2018, 02:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats BOB !!! Well done .
Old 09-05-2018, 03:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ayers View Post
Jeesh , sorry , I'm really hogging the posts today !

just concocted the " bestest" refreshing drink (remember its Spring ) if I haven't raved enough about it yet ?

I don't like sweet drinks and have become so bored with water, tea etc.

Tall, pretty (!!!) glass.
Lots of ice
Soda water
Apple juice ( not too much)
Tonic water (Love that bitter taste)
Spring of mint

Voila ! Any other suggestions ?
I love ginger beer, also we have cordials and I love rosehip and elderflower with soda water. I did used to put it with vodka but that's not an option now and it is more than delicious without.. I have also been trying different smoothies but they are more like a meal.
I am so gonna try your suggestion though, sounds yum.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

From BeKind: "I think it was David who posted the graphic of the path to success. It starts fairly smoothly and then explodes into a scribble. I've felt, August was the smooth easy start (Okay at least after the hangover). We are now headed for the part where this all gets real as we try to incorporate non-drinking into daily life."

I was just thinking this! 10 days has been very focused, and each day a milestone. But now to shift more into long-term mindset … your comment really hit home. But that's my next challenge!

JT: another cruise! Sounds like a wonderful escape, and you now know you can handle it!

Ayers: My go-to is lime seltzer with a splash of pomegranate juice, and a squeeze of fresh lime. Love it!

Bob: Three weeks! That's so wonderful! I can't wait until I can post that!

Everyone who is making it, you are my inspiration. Thank you, and have a great sober day!
Old 09-05-2018, 03:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Another lost post. No time to re-write. Have a great sober day everyone!
Old 09-05-2018, 04:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone.

I don't have much time this morning, heading out to work. I am feeling so much better than I did on Monday. Hubby took me out on a date last night to lift my spirits and it was just what I needed

I'll check back in later after I catch up on everyone's posts. Have a great day everyone
Old 09-05-2018, 05:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey all - checking in on day 12. I'm feeling kind of down and tired this morning. Today is going to be a very long day at work, then I'm meeting my AA sponsor at 7pm and we're going to an 8-9:30pm meeting, so its going to be a long day. My sleep is still chaotic and I feel exhausted and anxious at the same time. Feeling exhausted when you wake up kinda sucks.

Anyway thats it for me this morning. I'm glad to hear many of you are in good places today.

Also Karen, I've taken to writing my replies in notepad and then copying them over because I'm tired of losing posts too

Take care everyone
Old 09-05-2018, 05:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 10 check in. I will not drink today. Staying strong. First NFL game of the season Sunday. I have giants season tickets and the tailgate scene is huge. Will worry about that then. Today I won’t drink.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

4 Weeks

Hi All,

Day 28!

Just checking in, have a great sober day!
Old 09-05-2018, 08:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good morning Augustonians!
BeKind, I googled St. Augustus and the first result made me laugh.
"St. Augustine of Hippo is the patron of brewers because of his conversion from a former life of loose living, which included parties, entertainment, and worldly ambitions. His complete turnaround and conversion has been an inspiration to many who struggle with a particular vice or habit they long to break. "

Really??!! I agree with Tony that this site is a priority for me because whatever I am doing is working. But also I was thinking today how genuinely kind, honest, supportive and earnest this group is. If we were poster-people for drinking, everyone would do it (bad joke, but talk about breaking stereotypes. Then to read that, well, yet another little shimmer in the universe. I am part kidding and part not. I feel like this group, these people, us are all coming together here for a reason. You too, Pixy!
Old 09-05-2018, 08:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Over the weekend I had a silly thought about not posting my bad mood to not be a bummer. We all know how that worked out and I really found comfort in knowing others were struggling.

Then today it seems like many of us are shifting. Ayers description of being clean and fresh. Karen your story about your job just feels like a little miracle/blessing in itself, Barbs feeling a bit better from the anxiety and QuitNow finally feeling better and talking of not taking health for granted. Fallow is well. Red and Timetotry congrats on 2 weeks, Bob on 3 and David on 4! I hit 6 weeks yesterday and even though I knew it was coming, seeing that I missed the day made me today feel really like this is my life.

Also, Ms. Bonnie...did you sneak your name in there or have I been missing that all along. I hope you settle in with your kids gone as it sounds like you are. My husband knew how much I drank, but (like a non drinker) he didn't know how much I thought about drinking. I think he would be shocked 6 weeks in to know I am still "working" on it, so I am going to share more to keep that accountability (I don't want him thinking two months from now I am fine and bringing home a bottle for me etc.).

Tony, I got so...what is the right word, calm? happy? excited? All that from your post. As I said, I looked around and started realizing I am doing this and I am not missing it. I haven't had cravings, but I love this new life. At this moment in time, it just seems like an exhausting waste of time, energy, effort and why would I want to slow me down. Life/age will do that on its own.

Strange how things ebb and flow.

To that end, StartingOver, sorry you are having a hard time. I hope it gets better. SweetPeacan, I think anticipation of a holiday for the first time or times may be normal. Just new feelings. You've got this. BeKind, I know you are anticipating your mom in a hospice, but that doesn't mean it isn't hard and sad. I wish you peace in this transition.

Um, JT when you posted about us being a big group or verbose..you know the answer is yes to both. I am guilty for sure. I am just so grateful in the hard time and grateful in the good. But for sure, this group is the difference from the past and it is not the site....it is you all.

For those missing but reading, please come back. BeKind/JT the list made me happy and a little sad. We are a big class, but always room for more. And Pixy and any others still a bit stymied, keep with us. I get stymied at times too. I am sure I messed up something in this post.

Yay! (I just needed to add that and visualize me in Boston doing a very silly, middle-aged female fist bump in the air!)
Old 09-05-2018, 08:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Still laughing at St. Augustine.

Me=Verbose (owning it)