Notices

Class of August 2018 Part 4

Old 09-06-2018, 06:51 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Good morning folks! Lucky day 13 for me

Good to see you Allie

Welcome Ben - We're glad to have you!

hills - I can totally relate to not wanting to attend an event like that, and while I do strive for the goal of honesty in recovery I agree with what others have said about not being afraid to take the white-lie route to protect your health if you feel you need to. Coming down with a bad case of the 'flu' or something similar the day before is a route I've taken in these cases before. And I agree with Dee that in 6 months of people getting to know the real/sober you I doubt anyone will remember. All things being equal going to the party but living as an active alcoholic vs not going to the party and living as a sober person over those 6 months will probably leave people with a much better impression of you at the end of those 6 months if you've gone the 2nd route. If you do decide to go I think there are lots of recovery resources either on this site or other places online with tips for getting through these kinds of events (arrive late, leave early, have sober support in place, maybe sober friend on standby expecting a checkin call at 1hr mark, etc)

JT - I've had that experience before of starting a new exercise program and gaining weight. It feels annoying but you're right, the tape measure is reassuring in those cases

Ayers - It sounds like you and I are going through similar ups and downs but may be on opposite days. Hang in there. A wise woman once said "Tomorrow is another day"

As for me I'm feeling a bit better today than yesterday. Yesterday was a somewhat long day at work but everything more or less worked out fine. I'm still working towards an important deadline in about 36 hours but yesterday my boss dropped the 'We don't *have* to get it done by Friday since we've already made our feature complete target' yada yada. So that took some of the pressure off, but I'm still targetting tomorrow 5pm to get my project merged into our codebase (I'm in software).

I was also feeling tired after work and didn't really feel like meeting my new sponsor at 7pm and then going to the 8-9:30pm meeting but...as usual when I push through those feelings and do it...it worked out great. I had a really great time. I got to know my sponsor better, got to meet a few new people in recovery including one I may meet up with on Saturday, and even though this meeting was huge (like 150+ppl) and felt kind of overwhelming to walk into it was actually pretty relaxing since the format of this one basically meant there was zero chance I'd get asked to speak (I have huge stagefright - its my biggest issue in AA), and the people who did speak said a lot of things that really resonated with me. It left me in a really good and connected mood, which is exactly how its supposed to work.

So I'm back in a good mood this morning (opposite of you again Ayers ;( ), and am looking forward to just powering through the work week and heading into a positive weekend.

Take care everyone and have a great day!
Old 09-06-2018, 07:31 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Welcome, Ben! Glad you’re here.

Hello, Lovely!

Have a great day all you lovelies.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:42 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hello Lovelies!! May the spirit of St Augustine be with you all. It is kind of nice to think that folks have been doing this struggle since the 4th century (well probably for millennium before). I vote we have a sober reunion in St Augustine Florida in 10 years.

Ben, please do come on board. I'm hoping we have enough here for the long run that we can keep a group going. Nothing against those who drop out; I'm the queen of starting but not finishing projects.

Feeling pretty good this am although the dog I'm sitting upchucked last night. - Ugh. Hoping to get a bit of exercise and cross some things off my to do list.

So off to find rug cleaner, meditate and text an in-law
Old 09-06-2018, 09:51 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Hills, I’m sure your are going to suss it out and make the best decision .
Ben, of COURSE you are more than welcome . The more the merrier. Welcome and congratulations on 44 days!!

Sweetpeacan, I also get frantic when I have to go away. As mentioned in another post , I get the heebie-jeebies when I have to pack. But you must have a wonderful holiday .

Red, maybe I’m the one confused here – I’m reading This Naked Mind by Annie Grace. Maybe we aren’t speaking of the same book ? Your partner sounds sweet and caring , glad you had a good time.

Bobdrop , I also thought tailgating is driving closer to another car than the recommended distance .

Zoey – glad to hear I’m not the only one , and well done with 11 days !!

Matrac – loved your quote !!!
“The distance between a dream and reality is discipline”. The distance between sobriety and alcoholism is discipline. Discipline is learning and, in the case of alcoholism, it is learning what you need to be able to remain sober. “
And yours StartingOver;
“A wise woman once said "Tomorrow is another day"
Happy that you are feeling good today .and that you attended the meeting even though you didn’t feel like going.
Bekind – isn’t it wonderful how pets always leave little gifts for us to clean up? Juck ! Hope you found a rug cleaner.

I’ll check in again tomorrow . Have to get supper ready

Love to you all, my friends and partners in crime XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 09-06-2018, 11:32 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Welcome Ben, great to have you with us.
RAL, I am thinking of you. Hope to hear from you soon.

I am very anxious right now. Hoping when I get the test results I can finally let go of the self absorption. Feeling awful but that could be my mind rather than my body. I am resisting Dr. Google with all my strength.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:19 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hello Augustonians, you lovelies.

Have I ever mentioned how much this group can really make me laugh at times? Such different people, but again...so sweet and often so funny. The tailgating conversation alone is amusing me.

I checked in because I am running ragged and behind in work, but wanted to make sure to say hi...and ended up so engrossed in all of your updates! Thank you.

Right, so I don't have much time, so I am good and up to date on everyone.

Ben, we have the same quit date! I am 44 days today too, July 24th. Please do join us. Several people have said that it can be a bit overwhelming, but jump on in however works for you. I did poke around July and good for you on sticking with it, but also reaching out to get more in month two. So happy you are here.

Allie, glad you checked in and glad you are doing well.

Darkling, when do you get your results. Try not to think too much and DEFINITELY don't Google! You will be strong and handle whatever comes your way, but worry is a waste. This is advice that is easier said than I would be able to do, but still.

Hills, everyone gave a lot of great advice. My two cents is that my impression from your post is that you feel the right thing is not to go. Trust your gut. I agree with Dee and everyone else that in the long run it won't matter. You might be able to split the difference and buy the ticket and last minute say you aren't feeling well and just are going to come to show support. You've got this and I admire your commitment.

I have to run, but I will check in again if I can. I was at meetings in town until 10:30 last night so burning the candle on both ends, but sobriety and this board I will always make time for.

Suze
Old 09-06-2018, 01:41 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

The day went exactly as I planned it. Seminar all day and then forced myself to the gym.

It's been a bit annoying as when you are a captive audience all day then you find yourself drinking umpteen cups of coffee and not eating the right foods, in the right quantities and at the correct times . So I have come home feeling heavy and bloated albeit that I still did my gym work.

I really need (it's gone beyond 'want') to lose this final 7 pounds or so. Then I'm convinced I will enjoy my sobriety even more.

Bed time for me and passing the torch.

Goodnight Everyone.

JT
Old 09-06-2018, 01:42 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Evening all, thanks for the welcome

I post in the morning to keep me accountable and in the evening for the same reason. Also to reflect on the state of my mind and actions

An ok day, I’m tired, see you all tomorrow
Old 09-06-2018, 01:54 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Thanks Suze.....I will know tomorrow.

Night all, passing the torch.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:20 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Wow, the ride home tonight was tough, for the first time really. Wine was calling … loudly. But I resisted, in part for the dumbest reason -- I can't wait to sign into the 24 hour sober page tomorrow morning and check in! If I drink, I can't do that, AND I'm back at Day 1. You'd think risking my health, acting dumb at parties, snapping at my great husband, etc., would be reason enough to resist the wine. But I like knowing everyone here is cheering for me, and I don't want to let you or myself down!

All you July-sobers are a real inspiration for me. And JT, I've actually started going to the gym again thanks to you.

So when you all think you don't matter, or don't make a difference, you're wrong.

Happy Sober Thursday! Nite from Vermont, and good morning to those across the globe!
Old 09-06-2018, 04:16 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Still sober day 18. Sleep is good but getting up is extremely hard. I know it is my body healing itself. Still feeling extremely irritable and bored but have stayed strong in my resolve. I pray for strength to continue on for all in this class.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:23 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hey, Lovelies!

Welcome, Ben!

Darkling: We have the same nemesis: the dreaded Dr. Google. Argh! I fall for the worst case scenarios every time. (My sardonic son always says, "Congratulations, Mom! You've survived yet another deadly disease!") I hope your mind is put at ease by good test results soon.

So, I have been doing well -- hardly even thinking of wine until it hit me BIG TIME today. My partner and I have been working on our home -- giving it a facelift, redecorating, painting and so forth, so I've been busy. Yesterday we finished. I'm always triggered by finishing a big project. In the past it's been so "nice" to have a glass of wine and reflect on a big job well done. I told my partner about my cravings, and he reminded me how much alcohol ages people and sucks all of the moisture from our bodies. Good on him for hitting me where he knew he'd have an effect: not my health, but my vanity! Lol. Whatever works.

I made a big glass of coconut, pineapple and mango reduced-calorie juice instead.

One of the rooms I gave a makeover to was an old nursery. It was Pepto-bismal pink and had a dated, huge sofa-bed in it. I turned the small room into my "zen room." It's a nice creamy coffee color with two comfy chairs and a Japanese futon, lots of plants and candles, a miniature sandbox with crystals and a big painting of the sleeping Buddha. I guess now I need to start using it for yoga and meditation to stave off the AV! I was kind of shocked at how strong the voice was after so many days with barely a whisper.

I've enjoyed catching up with all of you and reading your words of inspiration. Keep fighting the good fight.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:27 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Zoeydog -- Looks like we had the same challenges today. Glad you came through!

I've spent a good deal of time in Vermont. I love that state. Beautiful green mountains and roads with no advertising billboards. I love Lake Champlain and the outdoor mall in Burlington. You're lucky to live in such a beautiful place.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:50 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Yep Alice … the wine tried its best. Glad we made it! Keep it up!
And I love all the things about Vermont that you listed. It's a marvelous place to live! Texas is nice, too!
Old 09-06-2018, 06:03 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Welcome Ben! I was in the July class for a while. I didn't make it. I can't recall how many days I had but it wasn't a lot. I am glad you're here! Smart move.
Itsbeentoolong, I hope that this time is different for you and me both. I am also one who had lost my resolve and just picked up and started back in the past. Today is a new day!
Congratulations on double digits Quitnow! Doesn't it feel wonderful. I hope your cold is better fast. Mine is still not completely over. I hope yours doesn't last as long.
I had a pretty good day. I'm worried about flying next month. I have claustrophobia. Am trying not to worry, it's a long way away. Sufficient to today is the evil thereof! I also am going out to dinner with coworkers tomorrow and they are planning on drinking. I have offered one of the ladies a ride home, and said in front of all of them, "I'm not drinking, so if anyone else needs a ride, let me know". Watch, I'll be out driving til midnight. I will need some extra special resolve, and all your prayers or positive thoughts are welcome. I serve the 'wine and cheese' party, then head out to this dinner.
I can't expect the world to change because I do.
Hugs and sweet dreams to everyone!
Old 09-06-2018, 06:21 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Hi everyone. I feel bad I have not kept up with this thread. I am so exhausted.

It is striking to me how I had so much more energy and time to get stuff done when drinking. Now I get home, make dinner for the kids, do homework and pray I can stay up till they go to sleep. Before I would grab a shot and a beer, do all that stuff plus more chores and then be ready for a few more once they were tucked in.

This is not AV talking just observing random facts. I am not going back to drinking.

Hope you all have had a good week.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:25 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I get really tired, too Fallow. I hope it's that our bodies are healing and it takes up our energy for that. Are you feeling down? That can really sap your energy. I know it's common for alcoholics to grieve for our old 'friend' alcohol. No friend!
Anyway, it is good to hear from you.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:22 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

End of the day has come to the Rocky Mountains and day 27 for me . . .hmm . . .I'm getting close to a month here.

I was hoping to get some exercise today and meditate. I did about 10 minutes of meditation which was interrupted by a dog. Exercise was only a long walk with aforementioned dog and young girl who is staying at my house. So not what I had in mind but I'll take it.

Has anyone written out the story of their last awful binge and the reasons they quit? I've thought of doing this as a reminder of what happened and the very real possibility of going back there.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:23 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Good morning dear Augustonians . Day 15 . Friday 05:00 am
Our first spring rain is about to happen !!! Jay !!! Thunder outside. Still dark . The smell is better than the most expensive fragrance. I just stood outside and sniffed the air , like wild animals do – nose in the air – sniff, sniff. Wonderful !!!

Darkling , I am holding thumbs for you today for the results of your tests. You are in my thoughts and I hope the results are good. As Suze said , worry is a waste .

Zoey – well done for surfing the urge on your way back home . You go girl !
By the way – the book – uhmmm – I’ve been reading 2 at once ( skipping between the two) and yes, you are right – that one we spoke about is The Recovering. Not very far into Naked Mind.
Alice – Your son’s words made me laugh out loud ! Your drink sounds yummy, will try it. You are so fortunate to have a Zen room all to yourself – it sounds lovely .

Karen , good idea to say “ I’m not drinking, so I’ll be driving” I think people are just so grateful if they have someone to take the wheel , that they won’t even prod further. Good luck with the dinner , stay strong.

Fallow , nice to hear from you. I’m the exact opposite, when I was drinking it tapped my energy completely – I had no energy to do chores .

JT _ can't believe you still went to gym after such a long day . You animal, you!

I saw a thread started by Trach called Snufkin’s Thread – read there that she is now in Poland and seems she’s still strong . So happy for her.

Have a wonderful Friday all of you. Remember you are all very dear to me. Thank you for walking this winding road with me. Another weekend ahead – jikes – my third weekend .
Old 09-06-2018, 10:35 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Morning all. I’m grateful to wake up sober and healthy. Didn’t sleep well but it’s Friday so let’s hope I can slide through today ok

It’s my daughters 13th birthday! She’ll be up in a minute combining childish delight at her birthday with her growing concern for coolness. She’s a great kid.

Sobriety is going great but relationship
With SO is really hard. We’ve discussed making changes to support my sobriety but unfortunately she hasn’t felt the need to help me in this. I’ve had to back down (as ever!) and agree to supporting her in her work etc. It really sticks in my throat and makes me so cross and sad she won’t support me on this, especially as it’s so obviously beneficial to her!!!!!! But I need to let go and b gracious and just get on with it or I’ll turn into some bitter individual 👍

Have a great day people