Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 55

Old 01-13-2019, 12:30 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

I've said on other threads, I considered Kathy a real friend in our early days of sobriety, we had a lot of communication outwith SR. Not so much in later years as we both moved on, she spent a lot of time here I only come here once a day. But I told her early on in her news, how much she meant to me. I didn't follow her thread, occasionally posting on it, but not reading. I know she got a lot of comfort from it, it I think my Britishness finds overflowing sentiment to be mawkish and eventually annoying, so I didn't really participate. She knew how I felt. I will miss her. But it's not for us at SR I really think about it is her family, her close friends and her church who will all miss her immensely. We borrrowed her for a few years, they all had her for so much longer and will miss her so much more
Old 01-13-2019, 12:47 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am not demonstrative either but I think you missed a great thread toots.

I guess I see things a little differently.

I know Kathy loved her cyber family as much as her real one, and that love was definitely returned.

Love is not a finite substance - and neither is grief?

D
Old 01-13-2019, 06:03 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

I think a lot of you know that we were very close friends.....not that that matters per se.....I know that about a thousand other people here loved her as much as I did....do.

Down the line, I can't wait to tell you a funny story. Kathy had a fantastic naughty side...anyway.....a bit later on..... xx

Old 01-13-2019, 06:18 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

I miss Kathy in so many ways! I did follow her last thread because it helped to be with so many who cared about her. I’m not that demonstrative but it helped me process and I wanted to honor Kathy. And in other ways it helped me come more to terms with the fact that I am in the last years of my life. The friendships we form here are real.

There are moments in my life that stand out so clearly - and one of those was when I instantly knew the person who was getting off the bus to visit me was Toots Another was when I had lunch with Kathy at the end of one of my flying visits to my daughter.

I strongly believe that SR with these friendships has made the difference for me both in staying sober and in enjoying these precious years I have left.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:20 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Love you Sass....so....when it is warmer....in a few months....I am coming to visit you.

EDIT: We.
I keep forgetting I am married....
Old 01-13-2019, 06:23 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Old 01-13-2019, 07:34 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I keep forgetting I am married....

Love you
Old 01-13-2019, 10:59 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

you guys are such a treat to listen to----You make me smile..... some days I just love not having to worry if I'm going to think or consider drinking...this is definitely one of them.

Babs
Old 01-13-2019, 10:01 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

I seem to be missing something ,,I'll blame it on old age and working too many hours. Please remind me who Kathy was, I don't recall that name, I feel bad about missing something here.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:50 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Kathy is Gilmer, Bud.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:28 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Wow, now I really feel bad, I guess I never knew that Kathy was her real name, does anyone know if she had a favorite charity so that I can make a donation in her name?
Old 01-14-2019, 11:37 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm on my other laptop at the moment but I'm sure someone will post the deets on charities she liked Ken,

D
Old 01-15-2019, 06:22 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

I will go find it in the thread Bud.....it might take me a little while.

Someone will post what they were (I left a note).....I couldn't get there. xx
Old 01-15-2019, 10:01 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Here you go Bud

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Ann posted this recently - from Kathy:

Awhile ago several people were wondering where they might donate a tax-deductible gift in my memory in lieu of flowers.

One possibility is The Voice of the Martyrs (https://www.persecution.com), which offers assistance and protection to Christians who are being oppressed and persecuted elsewhere in the world.

Another possibility: Metanoia Prison Ministries. You can either donate online at https://www.egsnetwork.com/gift2/?gi...50C89255E7C46F or by mail at

Mission to North America
PO Box 890233
Charlotte NC 28289-0233

Designate: Metanoia Prison Ministries
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Old 01-15-2019, 10:46 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

I too am super grateful for Kathy/gilmers thread. I don’t post daily, but did want to lend a voice here and there because it may have in some small way helped her, and it certainly in a large way helped me.

One of the all time biggest toughest issues that we alkies face is dealing with our emotions in an honest, constructive way. That thread is a testament to gilmer and her strength, absolutely. But another thing I’ve really benefited from is being a part of a group of alkies who didn’t run from our feelings into a bottle. it has been so coolto see everyone deal with things, in their own ways, but the common thread is no one went back to the bottle.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:18 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thank you Suze
D
Old 01-19-2019, 05:21 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Hi All!

The woman at work that got caught drinking on the job last month has returned to work. I got a few minutes to talk to her and offer her any help if she wants and also referred her here, hope she does what she needs to. I'm not going to ask her about it, if she wants to share with me she will, if not, I don't want to make her feel like I'm hounding her.

Have the weekend off, had plans for the day but the pups laid across my legs when I was watching tv for a bit and I didn't want to disturb them so a long nap was the final result!
Old 01-19-2019, 05:28 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

oh yes, Ken---we can all relate to that one.
I hope she accepts your generous kindness and joins us.
Babs
Old 01-19-2019, 05:48 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Yes, Ken - whenever my 13 lb Maine Coon kitty lays across my lap or legs, I stay put for as long as she does. She most definitely does NOT like to have her beauty sleep disturbed
Old 01-19-2019, 08:43 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
My power is out because of a storm so I thought I’d check in and say hi.

Life is probably the most chaotic it’s every been, but I’m oddly calm about it.

Baby is due in 5 week! We’re still looking to buy a house too. We just don’t have enough room in our apartment. All of the baby’s stuff is just sitting in the living room because we have no where else to put it. We’re packing up stuff while my wife still has some mobility, even though we don’t have a place to move yet.

My wife is hanging in. It’s been a very tough pregnancy but she is almost to the finish line. I’m doing what I can to be supportive.

Work is busy as always. They want me to go up for another promotion again this year. I’m trying to set better boundaries at work - I haven’t traveled in two months am working fewer hours. I’m more worried about my wife, who is still working 50-60 hours a week.

Finally, I’m trying to quit nicotine (vaporizer) before the baby comes. I’m down to the lowest possible nicotine level. Now I just have to start phasing it out completely. I’m a little worried about how any withdrawals might set off my anxiety. But I want to set a good example for my kid.

I’m sad about Kathy - been thinking about her a lot. I know she wanted to see pictures of the baby and she won’t get to do that now. I’m just glad she found peace with all the pain she was dealing with.

Hope everyone else is doing well. It might be a while before I check in again but know any absence is because my life is full, not because I’m going off the deep end.

Love you all!