Notices

Class of April 2018 Part 7

Old 09-06-2018, 05:28 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations DB

good to hear from you donny and kgirl and bluesy - congrats on your milestones too

D
Old 09-06-2018, 05:45 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

congrats daisy x great post also bluesy x great to see u Kgirl x

Just another day of old BW films for me today. Been hooked on comedy ones just now with sid james and also will hay and others.

Mood has been a bit low today, so just working through it. My daughter and grandson is doing great , Willem is now 4months old and had his 3rd set of needles on tuesday. He is also on 6-9 months clothes lol and having small amount of puree which is great. I am hoping for them to come up in Oct before we go down for xmas ifwe can manage as have to see if hub will get time off from work to go down for there 1st xmas together. Can't believe that its not far till xmas again and not organised in saving and getting xmas pressies. Always something needs paying. Maybe all of this should motivate me and give me a swift kick up the bum to get sober. I havent been binge drinking or anything i just need to get some weeks and months in.

Hope u are all well and have a good day everyone xxx
Old 09-06-2018, 04:02 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Just doing my bed time check in. Hope you've all had the best of days.

Well done on 145 days Kelley, that's excellent, you're doing really well. Good luck to your son in his Jiu Jitso competition, I can imagine how nervous you must be. Let us know how he gets on.
I've seen quite a few people on S.R recommending the Naked Mind, I keep promising myself I will order it and I will once I've read all my other books.
I shall look forward to reading your post on Sunday. Take care. xx

Many thanks Dee. x

Thank you Erratic, good to see you posting again too. I love those old comedy films and all the corny innuendoes, much better than the stuff they make now.
I'm sorry you've been feeling a bit low and hope you feel much better soon.
Willem sounds like he's thriving, I bet he's the apple of your eye.
You're right Christmas isn't far away, it's scary how fast this year has flown, I think I need to make a list and start buying bits and bobs, there again I may cancel it this year, ( only joking, but I wish), that would be good. x
Don't give up fighting the good fight, you will get there. xxx

Off to bed now, back tomorrow. Sleep well or whatever. All my love.xx
Old 09-06-2018, 04:03 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Strawberry, where are you? Come and check in, don't struggle alone. xx
Old 09-06-2018, 05:57 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Daisybelle View Post

My thought for the day....

" I have decided to stop saying yes to people and situations that don’t support my well-being. Instead, I will say yes to my happiness, and yes to my growth, and yes to all the people and things that inspire me to be authentic and whole, while at the same time accepting me just as I am. My yes, from here on out, is my pledge to live honestly, my commitment to love myself fiercely, and my cry to create my best life possible. Yes."
I love this Daisy. This is what I am striving for.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:04 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluesymusey View Post

So, I know I mentioned I went through a depression around the time of the royal wedding whenever that was haha. I’ve since come out of that dark space and I hadn’t really ever felt so down like that. But I knew I couldn’t drink. I knew I would not make it out alive. I can’t possibly rack up anymore hospital bills without going bankrupt. I cannot possibly wake up another time in the middle of the night wondering how in the heck I ended up drinking AGAIN. Only to pause a moment or two before opening the fridge for some quick relief to delay the inevitable. What a torturous hell is it. I will take the stormy days being sober ANY day over the days I chose to absolutely wreak havoc on myself.
I am with you here. There is nothing so bad that a drink will not make a million times worse. And it IS like a living hell and how amazing we never have to be there again. We never have to drink again.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:13 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluesymusey View Post

I’m reading ‘This Naked Mind’ by Annie Grace and I forget who in our class is reading this also (or you’re probably through the book already!) and though I’ve only had time to read a couple pages here and there, it’s helping me understand where this depression is coming from.

As a binge drinker for 20 years, the most sobriety I ever had was 19 months. Then 9 months, then 4 months...now I’m just past 5 months. My brain is still healing. My neurotransmitters hard wired to negative thinking haven’t yet had enough time to create the new pathways to replace the old ones. Each time I recognize these thoughts as just thoughts (as crappy as they feel) and keep fighting the old tape, old habits, old behaviors, I’m creating not only a new life - but physiologically changing brain chemistry. The very parts of the brain that make good or bad decisions as well. We build a defense against picking up a drink the more we light up the frontal cortex which helps us remember why we shouldn’t touch that hot stove - again!! We are only gonna get burned. We all certainly know that!! But often times thoughts become action sooooo fast because they bypass that part of the brain designed to literally protect us.

All I can say now is that I’m fighting through the rough parts and enjoying the brighter ones and understanding that the contrast will likely be more intense in the first year and should get easier as time goes by. I’m super thankful for all of you and proud of each and every one of you! We still have a good number of people in this class - how awesome!

So, to close this epically long post haha, I am literally ‘battling’ this post alcohol binge depression. I now understand why they use that word ! I am continuing to build a defense system — against my own mind, how crazy! Starving the bad wolf and feeding the good one. Each thought and action goes to one or the other.

A
I haven't read This Naked Mind but I have read William Porter's alcohol explained which I believe are very similar and it really helped me to realise why we get the cravings from our subconscious mind and how to go about rewiring the neurotransmitters in our brain. I that book kept me sober for 2 months but I know that for me personally I need a programme of action to stay sober long term but I will Def re read my book especially as I now have some more sober time.

We'll done Bluesy you are doing amazing.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:18 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kgirl41 View Post
Hi all. Day 145 here.

I am reading Naked Mind also and I highly recommend it for everyone. I also recommend the podcast Recovery Elevator. I know I have mentioned both of these before but honestly you need these tools to become strong in your sobriety. Sobriety does not come from "I'm not going to drink anymore". That will only last so long. At least for me "not drinking" only worked when I worked a program.
Congrats on 145 days!!

Yep I agree with you. Maybe some people can just quit alcohol and not change anything else but not for this alcoholic. Just putting the drink down will not keep me sober for long. My programme is AA and it is working for me!
Old 09-06-2018, 06:32 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Daisybelle View Post

How many wash loads have you done lol? I bet you've washed everything in sight.
Congrats on 5 moths Daisy!!!

Err none! Lol! They couldn't plumb it in due to whomever fitted the kitchen!! All the pipes were boarded up including the water isolation valve and they couldn't remove the board as the plug had been wired and attached to it! The 1st thing I thought when they left was "I need a drink"!!! And then I did what my sponsor told me to. I laughed at that thought and said oh and you can eff off as well. Then I had a good rant to my dad on the phone (good old dad) then I found a handyman on line and he came out and fixed the problem that evening plus he did my toilet flush too which had gone just days before. Sorted! And the guys rescheduled to come do machine.

I didn't really want to drink, but those reading naked mind will understand the science behind that thought. My subconscious is so used to getting alcohol in times of stress that it is literally sending me a message to drink! But my conscious mind doesn't want to drink and now I can use my conscious mind to tell that thought to do one. That is how we rewire the brain. Which is why relapse is so damaging as it undoes all the good work we have done and fires those neurons back up again.

But thanks for asking Daisy 😂😂
Old 09-06-2018, 06:43 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hey everyone else.
Just woke am not feeling too well so taken some medicine and will go back to sleep soon.
I am soo glad to be sober and so grateful I didn't drink on saturday. I truly believe my Higher Power was doing for me what I could not do for myself as I certainly didn't use any of my tools. I didn't pray. I didn't pick up the phone. I didn't leave a dangerous situation. I wanted to drink so badly and I didn't and I feel so blessed as I could have been back to square one in a matter of seconds and it has just made me feel more determined to cultivate a sober life for myself and I have felt a real shift since that day from feeling so sorry for myself that I can't drink to actually I really do not WANT to drink.
I am loving my A A group. There is going to be a 5th meeting starting so everyday from Mon to Fri. I am making friends there and I am so lucky I have found a meeting where I feel safe and the people are great. I learn so much from them. I also have a few other meetings I go to when I can that I really enjoy too. I am lucky where I live there are many meetings to choose from.

And of course my wonderful Apriler's. You have all been so supportive and I love you all. I just want sobriety for all of you as much as I want for myself.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:36 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

What a great bunch of inspirational and insightful posts today! I am sober, in bed and going to sleep!! Sorry, love you all but that’s all you get from me today🙄..seriously loved each and every post though. Thanks for sharing 💜💜💜
Old 09-06-2018, 09:37 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hey! Bedtime check-in. Today was very good. I felt better than I have in a while. Off course I got my twice monthly B12 shot and I’m always better right after that. I’m better in general though.

I weighed myself a few times recently and was holding firm at 166 Ibs. I noticed my face looked a lot thinner and someone mentioned it too. So I got on the scale today and I lost 10 lbs!! 😂 That was rapid weight loss. Something must have kicked up my metabolism. Also, I ditched wheat, dairy and sugar, except some fruit, 2 weeks ago. I was eating a ton of fruit every night when I quit drinking and I think that was keeping my weight up. It’s got to be the wheat. I was downing crackers every night. Plus no booze does wonders: My wallet is heavier and I’m lighter. 👍

Seriously, there is a mysterious $500 lying around my room, from avoiding 14 binges in the last 7 weeks. I do deserve prescription Costa shades....

Another 6 lbs will drop off fast and I’ll be at my ideal weight for 5’7”. I can bust out the Size Small Addidas, black camo, workout shirt I got. 🦅 I was planing on bringing that back, but not now.

My life coach said she could see through FaceTime that I’m more clear eyed than she’s ever seen me. She said I’m doing fantastic in several areas.

Ok it’s past my bedtime again. I’m sleeping long hours into the morning. I think my body and mind are doing a lot of healing and I need sleep.

Thanks everyone! Congrats to all that have milestones. 💚🐍💚
Old 09-06-2018, 11:07 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Viperidae View Post
Hey! Bedtime check-in. Today was very good. I felt better than I have in a while. Off course I got my twice monthly B12 shot and I’m always better right after that. I’m better in general though.

I weighed myself a few times recently and was holding firm at 166 Ibs. I noticed my face looked a lot thinner and someone mentioned it too. So I got on the scale today and I lost 10 lbs!! 😂 That was rapid weight loss. Something must have kicked up my metabolism. Also, I ditched wheat, dairy and sugar, except some fruit, 2 weeks ago. I was eating a ton of fruit every night when I quit drinking and I think that was keeping my weight up. It’s got to be the wheat. I was downing crackers every night. Plus no booze does wonders: My wallet is heavier and I’m lighter. 👍

Seriously, there is a mysterious $500 lying around my room, from avoiding 14 binges in the last 7 weeks. I do deserve prescription Costa shades....

Another 6 lbs will drop off fast and I’ll be at my ideal weight for 5’7”. I can bust out the Size Small Addidas, black camo, workout shirt I got. 🦅 I was planing on bringing that back, but not now.

My life coach said she could see through FaceTime that I’m more clear eyed than she’s ever seen me. She said I’m doing fantastic in several areas.

Ok it’s past my bedtime again. I’m sleeping long hours into the morning. I think my body and mind are doing a lot of healing and I need sleep.

Thanks everyone! Congrats to all that have milestones. 💚🐍💚
What a great post to wake up to!!!!!

You Are amazing ... 😀
Old 09-07-2018, 12:35 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Morn everyone xx

Hey way to go viper! xx
i am really glad u got a good bunch of people in your AA group snitch. I used to go to AA it also helped in the first 6 months of when i did a year in 2008. The problem with going just now is my social anxiety, when i can push forward on that i may try again. I have looked at other kind of groups which have a different approach in getting sober. I also know its down to me to kick start the process of stopping x

This morn BW movie is park plaza 605 x your right daisy about these old movies they are far better than some or even most of new films.

I have contemplated about getting intouch with my old alcohol Councillor as he said that he will leave my case open and to phone any time for a appointment but i have to over come in getting out more though and also stop the thoughts that i am wasting peoples time and i am not worth it.

Anyway thats enough from me x here thinking of u all who is being quiet and also those who are doing so well x
Old 09-07-2018, 05:12 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Good afternoon Aprils, just running a bit late today. I've done the school run, been grocery shopping etc and now I'm just having half an hour to myself to post and have a cup of coffee. I hope you are all having a good Friday and looking forward to the weekend. I got a letter through this morning from my dentist advising that I've been referred to a dental hospital in Liverpool, that's going to be a pain in the backside getting to and from there. Got to wait for an appointment so I'll worry about it then.

I hope you're feeling better now Suze. I'm glad you liked yesterday's thought of the day, I get them from Tiny Buddha, I find them very meaningful. Thank you also for your congrats. What a pain re your washing machine, nothing ever goes to plan does it? Well it doesn't for me anyway.
I'm happy that you're enjoying your A.A groups, they have really been good for you and I like that you can take your daughter too when need be.
Thank you also for all your support and your inspirational posts.

Hi Donny, I hope you're all rested now, thanks for posting, it doesn't matter how short they are just as long as you check in when you can and keep yourself accountable.

Hope you slept well Viper and you'll be running rings round yourself after the B12 shot. I must say that you are sounding great now, it's good to read your positive posts.
You've done amazingly well with your weight and with saving all that money you definitely deserve to treat yourself to a pair of Costa shades, be rude not to. Keep on doing what you're doing, sobriety suits you.

Hi Erratic, could you possibly do A.A online? It may be helpful to you whilst you're sufferning from social anxiety. If you've already managed one year sober, you can do it again if you put your mind to it, you've had quite a lot of sober days since you joined our group, more than you think, I'm guessing.
Pick that phone up and ring that alcohol councillor, what have you got to lose, and you would not be wasting his time at all, you are more than worth it and you have little Willem to think of, just think of all the fun things you can do with him, making happy memories, if you're sober. That's worth it too. Don't worry a jot about wasting the councillor's time, that's his job and he gets very well paid for it! Go for it Erratic, you can do this. xxx Big hugs xxxx

See you all later, I'm going to get some lunch. Love to you all. xx

Thought for the day......

"One of the best moments in your life is when you find the courage to let go of what you can’t change."
Old 09-07-2018, 01:42 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Hey all.
I've been in bed sleeping all day. Think I may be a bit run down. Got up for a bit this evening to get stuff ready for work as am off to Boston tomorrow!
I am really looking forward to some time away. These 2 women I have kind of fallen into beings friends with are really draining. They have fallen out with each other as well now as they are very different characters. One is v strong with a forceful personality who doesn't take prisoners and the other is a kind of hippie airy fairy mum. I do like them both but I am going to distance myself. The strong one loves to drink. Alot. The airy fairy one is a breastfeeding advocate who is hooked on pain opioids and drinks alcohol with them and thinks that that is fine to breastfeed. And I am not talking 1 or 2 units with a meal. She is living in la la land. When we were out on Saturday with the kids there were adults there drinking just moderately but these 2 were wasted. I could see how uninterested in their kids they were and I know that that used to be me. It wasn't great to be around. My sponsor has just had a baby. Her third. But we spoke this evening. It was so good to talk to her. She said now was I ready to distance myself from these people? I said absolutely. She said she had been concerned about who I had been hanging around with and that I was dancing with the devil. There is a saying. If you hang around a barber's all the time sooner or later you're gonna get a haircut! I told her how weak I sometimes feel to say no to people. She said remember you don't have to say yes to things straight away. Tell the person you are thinking about it. The you can always run it by someone else in AA. And If I don't feel it is right for me she said just be honest and how that person takes it is not my problem. My sobriety comes first. Seeing them like that in the park made me feel sad. Sad for their kids and sad that I used to be like that. I am just so grateful that isn't me anymore and it never has to be again.
So everyday I am going to put sobriety first and stay away from drinking people and drinking (wet) places. And I am doing this not just because I have to but because I want to which is an amazing shift for me.

Hope everyone is doing ok x x
Old 09-07-2018, 03:02 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hi folks! I had a nap today. A lot of healing going on in my body and brain. I always wake up useless, but the 5 good days and a beat day is just fine by me!! I’ll be better and better. I can’t wait to see how I am in a month, and further out. It’s a slow improvemt.

I had a 2 hour session with the life coach last night and I have some work to get done, mainly deciding on a couple of items and buying them. Then focusing all of my energy on a destination for winter. Jah, Jamaica mahn. It’s close enough, beautiful, and if you pick the right spot, cheap and safe. That’s #1 on the list right now. Portland Parish is supposed to be wonderful. Beaches, forests, not touristy, safe, and not expensive. It’s a simple choice.

Donny Boy? You hanging in there mate? Stick with me, I need you.

Strawberry?? And Nichole 💜.

I hope everyone is well.

V🐍
Old 09-07-2018, 04:14 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Just checking in to say goodnight. Hope you've all had a good day.

I hope you're feeling better now Suze, I loved reading your post. I have to agree with your sponsor re you dancing with the devil, she's right and you know she's right. I've never heard that saying about hanging about with a barber before, it quite made me smile, though it's very true. That part where she told you that you don't have to answer straight away, give yourself time to think, that's what I'm practising. I find it very hard to say no even when I don't really want to do something so I've been making myself wait before replying to any requests. I'm learning!
Anyway enjoy Boston, I shall look forward to reading about it.

Hi Vipes, you're sounding better by the day. It must be a great hardship having to choose between Jamaica and Portland Parish , maybe you could do both.

See you all tomorrow, good night and sleep well. xxx
Old 09-07-2018, 08:47 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Viperidae View Post
Hi folks! I had a nap today. A lot of healing going on in my body and brain. I always wake up useless, but the 5 good days and a beat day is just fine by me!! I’ll be better and better. I can’t wait to see how I am in a month, and further out. It’s a slow improvemt.

I had a 2 hour session with the life coach last night and I have some work to get done, mainly deciding on a couple of items and buying them. Then focusing all of my energy on a destination for winter. Jah, Jamaica mahn. It’s close enough, beautiful, and if you pick the right spot, cheap and safe. That’s #1 on the list right now. Portland Parish is supposed to be wonderful. Beaches, forests, not touristy, safe, and not expensive. It’s a simple choice.

Donny Boy? You hanging in there mate? Stick with me, I need you.

Strawberry?? And Nichole 💜.

I hope everyone is well.

V🐍
All good here Vipe, well for the most part. We got killed tonight by a team ranked #1 in the state , that we beat last year for our district championship. Nobody took a second look at us a few years ago, now everyone wants a piece of beating us since we were the state champs last year. This is a small school that beat us and one of your greatest d players ever for the Pats Ty Law came out of there. Mike Ditka, Sean Gilbert, Darelle Revis, Tommy Campbell, and the list goes on of nfl players that came out of there. It sucks that we got beat but this team plays literally out of a broken down has been steel mill town, that lives and breathes Friday night football. And that is awesome, and In a weird way happy to lose, ok or not🙄.. but these kids have football and that’s it. I watched four players out there today that if they keep there heads straight will sign 💰💰💰 contracts, and I left through the town and projects they live in, and we got beat but I smiled leaving. God bless them. Ok off to bed, Goodnight sober people 💜....
Old 09-08-2018, 02:30 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Good morning Aprils, it's very quiet here this morning, I hope all is well with you all. It's a very wet and miserable Saturday here, I think summer has definitely ended, it was so cold last night I even put the fire on for a little while.

Donny boy, that sounds like some match and you've taken being beat with such good grace, I like that, true sportsmanship. I hope your weekend is a good one. Be good and take care.

Well I'll love you and leave you for now. Have the best Saturday you can. Love to you all. xxxx

Thought for the day.....

Accept that you will never be perfect, life will always have challenges, and other people will sometimes disappoint you. Acceptance is the first step toward peace.