Notices

Class of August 2018 Part Three

Old 08-26-2018, 07:44 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Good morning!
Well, we are the face of addiction this morning. Slips, successes and lots of support. Wherever each of us is, thanks for being here and sharing.

First, JT....I have been thinking so much about you. Your post made me feel like I was there in both good ways and bad ways. I am so, so happy for you. You sound just like I felt in Maine (but without the beautiful ship, apparently!). Is it wrong to say I am proud of you? I am hoping after getting through that first day, each day will get easier, but stay strong. The good news is, I think facing this head on will make you even more convinced this is it for real. That is what I hope for you because that is what I believe. You are staring down the AV and winning and you will get stronger and it will get weaker. I am irrationally excited for a man I have never met on a ship halfway across the world, but I love it.

Welcome Magnolia, Kit, Red. Kit, I hope that fear can turn around into determination and you sound like you are well on your way. I am glad you guys are here and sharing. Hawking, thanks for popping in to share your positivity and inspiration.

Karen, love the Hell No! I found talking out loud which I learned here actually helps me get out of my head (hmm, not sure if you said it out loud). BeKind, nice resolve on dinner with dad. I do hope your depressive mood changes. Your kindness and tranquility always exude through the page and I hate thinking you are struggling with depression. Darkling, I hope you too are doing well and feeling better.

Barbs, I know we are passing back and forth the imagery of the sober life worth protecting, but I love the understated beauty of this line: "Life I was leaving behind was no picnic." It is just so perfectly succinct and something I need to keep remembering as I have distance.

TimetoTry, glad to see you! Day 5 is fantastic. StartingOver....look at you go. You seem like you are ready for an AA meeting or making a different go at it here as well. I think you are doing great thinking on your options and already sound vastly improved in your outlook as you are picking apart the best options for you. That is the writing of someone in control and ready to kick booze's booty, if you don't mind me saying. Find what is right for you, but you are doing great thinking.

So ah, I don't want to lump those of you who tripped up into the same boat. You each have your different struggles.

RAL: "It's still August and I would like to stay in this class as feel such a connection and support from everyone. " Not letting you go. So this may be another tea cakes thing " ginger on hols in october "...no idea what that means. But not knowing what it means makes me identify with it even more. I sooo get that.

ZoeyDog, Midton, Odaat, good job getting right back. I know it is hard and easier to run away. Thanks for sharing and reminding how easy it is. Zoey, your description of not caring is what I am afraid would happen to me. I wouldn't do 2 and come back like Odaat and Midton. My AV would take the wheel. Regardless, you guys sound very resolved. Glad you are back.

Glad you are well, BobDrop! LOL at this: "I'd really like to comment on that or encourage that person and by the time I'm finished reading, there's so much there, that it overwhelms me." I have been doing this for over an hour. So much to keep up on.

I think we can all agree no feelings will get hurt if someone gets left off. If you need a little extra help, shout loudly on this board. Lots going on!
Old 08-26-2018, 07:56 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Phew!
I will say it again. Sorry if I missed anyone, but reading everything. I will certainly try to be loud if I need help and vice versa.

As I move forward, I have been thinking....actually getting really worried...about relapse. The dreams that I messed up have started again. I am not craving at all. Although last night watching a movie someone cracked a beer and I could taste it. I don't think it is craving so much as cheap, canned beer was my original vice in high school/college. I like to think of it as I am peeling back layers or doing an archaeological dig and have hit that layer. Still something I took note of just in case. I have tried changing types of booze in the past to control so just nipping that potential that it is my AV saying, just go back to those early days!

Along those lines, I am starting to try to build up my muscles of remembering times for what they really were. In my self-hatred a month ago that was painfully reliving every dumb thing I did. That was not helpful. For me, I need to know that box of horrors is a part of me and make sure I don't forget, but soaking in it did no good.

Today is more positive. I have been really seeing that when you drink all the time, of course you see positive moments in drinking. I am starting to see that those moments I cherish while drinking or relaxing or whatever were great on their own. And then later alcohol actually got in the way. So I am trying to remember the excitement of seeing a friend I haven't for a while and letting go of the "excitement of meeting a friend for a glass of wine." Or the joy of relaxing with my husband in fuzzy socks when the kids are in bed is pretty great on its own vs. "the joy of having a glass of wine with my husband in fuzzy socks when the kids are in bed"....er, truth: a bottle of wine, half of which would be obsessing about how much wine is left.

Anyhow, that is my thought for today. Odaat, I feel for you. I am still finding a work release, but more on that another time.

Thank you to those of you who came back.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:59 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Gosh, Ayer, I've been watching you. Sorry I missed you. You are doing great. Keep it going!
Old 08-26-2018, 08:36 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Day 13

Wow. It amazes me how large this group has gotten just in 24hrs. Welcome/Welcome back, Kit, zoeydog, Red, Magnolia and anyone else I may have missed. I hope you find the support and understanding in this group that will help you persevere in your quest for sobriety. I know it has helped me immensely.

Midtown, RAL, & ODAATCAT- I'm glad you guys came right back. The group would not be the same without you all. I know how hard it is when the AV is screaming for you to drink. I know we can beat it together. Keep going and don't look back. 💕

Yesterday was a quiet, reflective day for me. I just sat outside and enjoyed the sounds of nature. It was nice to slow down and enjoy time with myself. In the evening we went to dinner with my husband's parents. It was so good to see them. My AV tried to kick in once during dinner when my hubs ordered a vodka drink but I pushed it aside and focused on the conversation and the food. I can say I'm really starting to like living sober. I tend to pay more attention to details that I was missing when I was drunk. Plus, my energy levels and ambition are returning which is awesome. I just have to hold on to that feeling.
I hope you all are having a strong day/night.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:04 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hawking - Congrats on 53 days! Its nice to hear from people who have made it past this very early bad part and are starting to see nice changes

ODAATCAT - I'm sorry you slipped up but its great you came right back too!

bobdrop - I feel the same way, kind of like trying to maintain multiple conversations at once. I really want the best for everyone here so if I missed a reply or something like that, its not intentional, my brain is just really fried at the moment among other things.

Suzes - Thanks, I'm trying to do things differently. Thats a great check in too. I think its normal for us to have those thoughts or using dreams, especially early on. I had about a year sober 3 years ago and remember would have those dreams every once in awhile. Each time I would wake up feeling terrible but would then realize it was just a dream and get really happy, so that second part was at least nice

Congratulations on 13 days Skrappy - Thats really good
Old 08-26-2018, 09:04 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Happy Sunday team! Day 19 for me.

Didn’t get much time to check in yesterday. Had l a very busy (and fun) day. It seems I have quite a bit of catching up to do. Just speed read through everyone’s posts while at work and gathered what I could.

I see several newcomers. Welcome guys!

JT, congrats on getting through what sounds like a real test of your sober strength. I’d say you are stronger than you realize.

To everyone hitting another day sober, keep up the awesome work.

To those of us who slipped, please stop beating yourselves up. The important thing is you are here and getting it off your chest. This shows you really do want sobriety and as others have already pointed out you can utilized this as an opportunity to learn. What needs to change? What patterns do you need to break? You guys can do this. We’ve got your back.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:19 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Good morning all --

Hugs and support to all of you who are new and all who are climbing back on to the wagon this morning. I appreciate all of you. Your stories always hit so close to home. I know that I could fall at any moment. I respect your courage and strength climbing into, or back into, the ring.

JT - great job, and wonderfully expressed post on grappling with your AV on the first day of your cruise. Physical exercise has been a topic of discussion in here before, but I think for me the most important exercise is mental: learning to talk to myself with a strong, calm, reasonable and kind voice is going to be key in my recovery. As I teacher, I've always cautioned my students to "be careful how you speak to yourself, because you are listening." I need to take my own advice.

This is just a quick check in on day 15. I'm proud of all of you who are in the first week. Heck, I'm proud of my two-weeks-ago self for making it through that early time. I have to say that it is feeling more and more worth it as I put more distance between myself and that last drink. The scale today showed that I'm down 5 pounds, so that was a boost.

My chuckle for the day came from another poster in the newcomers forum who referred to going to AA as the "Cake or Death" choice. I used to attend an AA group that was obsessed with cake. I have to say that it kind of drove me crazy -- at every meeting there was cake. For one reason or another, or for no reason at all: cake. I guess though, if it comes down to cake vs. death? I'll take the cake.

In here, there's so much support without the added calories. It's great. You guys are the best. Happy Sunday. Keep going.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:50 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hmmm... I'm in panic mode at the moment. St. A ZZ Top concert parking lot play and surrounded by party. Very uncomfortable! I can't wait to get hot off here.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:59 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Earlier I wrote a post where I actually remembered what individual people had said and responded to most of them, and then I lost it. Apparently I wasn't logged in. Made me so mad and tired, I had to take a nap.
Welcome to our new people! So glad you are here, please let us know how you're doing.
I'm sad to hear that some of us have relapsed. So sorry. But very glad you have come right back to try again! We only fail if we quit trying.
Today is day five! I still feel pretty bad. Partly the cold, partly early recovery. Maybe some depression. In two days I will start taking antidepressants. I know that's not everyone's ideal, but they make a big difference for me so I'm looking forward to it. It seems unfair to live in a dark fog when I'm not drinking.
I loved so many of the posts I've read here in the past day, but just don't have energy to rewrite my response to everyone, so I'll just say thanks, you're helping me a lot, each of you. Ayer, I also feel a kinship in our early co-recovery. I hope it's going okay for you. The third day is tough. Please be very easy on yourself, nap a lot, drink a lot, eat a lot and read here a lot.
I am going to an AA meeting tonight. It won't be easy, I get really scared of this kind of thing. And they don't even eat cake where I live. StartingOver, you will be walking in with me in my mind, so thanks!
Old 08-26-2018, 11:01 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hey Barb, I hope you can leave right away! Thinking of you!
Old 08-26-2018, 11:22 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hey Karen, can't leave. Meeting my nephew and BiL. My nephew is a quadriplegic. I just need to get out of this party spot and into the venue. Thanks for the support.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:30 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I'm checking in on day 11...

I haven't been sober this long in at least 5 years...it feels amazing and I'm kind of shocked I'm actually doing it. Of course I wanted to but I've failed so many times I was losing hope.

My mind is getting clearer and my body is starting to feel normal again...and I sleep through the night...proper restful sleep. I'd forgotten what that was like.

I'm even thinking about getting back into the gym, which is something I really used to enjoy before drinking became everything for me.

Patterson...
Old 08-26-2018, 11:55 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Phew, met up with family and at the venue. We have great seats and it's good to see my nephew having some fun. Looking forward to the concert. Btw, as top is the first concert I ever went to when I was a teenager, just started dating my husband. I was wasted and don't remember much. This time I should remember every minute of it
Old 08-26-2018, 12:04 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Welcome to the newcomers to the August group.

RAL stay with us. Glad you are ok and posting.

Strength to you JT. Don't listen to that AV chatter if it comes again....its all just background noise that makes us lose our way.

ODAATCat, glad you are here, don't let that spill knock you off course. Midton, hope you start feeling better soon, stay close to SR.

Although I don't feel great physically, I feel stronger mentally today- I am having longer periods of feeling acceptance in my life. This makes everything less of a battle. I believe if I am to recover, acceptance is key- not just that I cannot drink but more importantly accepting life as it is rather than constantly battling to control the uncontrollable.

I am thinking of you all.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:56 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Enjoy the Concert barbs.

Sorry my earlier posting meant to say going on holidays in october. Nothing to do with ginger or tea cakes 😀

Thanks darkling I hope you feel better soon.

Hope everyone has a good day or night thank you for your kindness and support
RAL x
Old 08-26-2018, 02:08 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone that sent me their best wishes. We’re back in our cabin now after the wife caught the early show (as I slept after two treadmill sessions at 06:00 and 15:00) and then had a lovely meal together in one of the speciality restaurants on board.

Tonight was a lot easier with no desire to drink at all. Tomorrow will be the last day/night of the mini cruise so I’m hopeful I’m going to pass a real test here that came far too soon in my recovery (truth be told).

To all those that had a tiny slip - huge kudos for jumping back in again to this class. I’ve never been brave enough to do that after a relapse.

Regards,

JT (from somewhere at sea).
Old 08-26-2018, 02:20 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone,

Bit of a dreary day in my part of the world, makes me feel a tad gloomy about Autumn/Winter approaching...

Sending well wishes to you StartingOver,Midton ,RAL, ,Zoeydog, so glad you came straight back here.

Barbs, Hope you enjoyed the concert

JT, hope you & Mrs JT enjoyed the sightseeing and so glad you kicked AV's butt.

Karen, It is nerve racking walking into an AA meeting but once you are in there, it'll be ok. Everyone is there for the same reason and are usually pretty welcoming. I hope it goes well for you. Oh yes, It is so annoying losing a long post. I have done it endless times..I never learn, lol

MNS, Yay, 19 days, Great stuff.

Bobdrop, Same here I get so much identification from everyone, it overwhelms me too. Great job on 11 days.

Wishing everyone a Happy Day tomorrow. SP
Old 08-26-2018, 03:09 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Just checking in at the end of day 19. All is good and sober. 3rd weekend done.

Congrats to all still sober. Welcome to all newcomers and for anyone who has slipped up, just get back on and do this.

Dave
Old 08-26-2018, 03:21 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Mike - Congrats on 19 days! And good questions, I've been trying to work though those
Aliceiw - Congrats on 15 days! Getting through 2 weeks is great.
Karen - Thats happened to me before too - super annoying. Its nice that you were able change gears though and get some rest and recover
Patterson - Thats great that you're feeling better. It gives me something to look forward to too when I get there.
Darkling - Glad you're feeling stronger
RAL - I hope you take care tonight. Have a good rest.
Barbs - Thats great you made it through and got in the concert - enjoy it!
Tony - I'm glad its getting better for you. I do hope you get to enjoy your trip.
Sweetpeacan - Same here I hope we get some more summer before fall hits too

Its the afternoon on day 2 for me and as I mentioned in the weekender thread I'm feeling a little down that I had to cancel on my friend, but am planning to hit an AA meeting in a few hours. It'll probably be kind of tiring and I'd like to be able to speak up but my only goal today is just to make it there and sit through the meeting. Anything else will be a bonus.

Take care everyone
Old 08-26-2018, 03:36 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

5 weeks tomorrow!. Longest time sober in years. Down 14lbs as well. New me is taking shape....LOL. Tough day today...visited my mother. A lot of issues there. Didn’t feel like drinking, just wanted to go home and so I did. I’m Grateful for what I have at the moment. Work will be crazy tomorrow and so I’ll get caught up Tuesday.

Wishing you all strength and peace. It’s a beautiful evening here in NJ and my patio is calling.