Notices

Class of August 2018 Part Three

Old 08-31-2018, 05:38 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Good morning!
I have to admit when Dee said, "In the next 24 hours" my stomach flipped over. But I love JT's, "Just to be clear if there is any confusion. This thread will continue forever." Right on.

I, for one, am not going anywhere and am already looking to all the great conversations we are going to have. We are just getting started in sobriety, friendship, emotional exploring, support. I love whoever said "years to come" we will have this. This was just the warm up month. Everyone needs to do what they way, but as far as I am concerned this my/your/our last class come what may and you are always welcome back.

BeKind, thank you for the list! I am hanging Mass with Barbs and just under Zoey to be more specific.

Zoey, I think we all understand the big step telling people is. Like JT, my husband knew. I would tuck my kids in and then we would hang out as I drank. Like Barbs, he is very hands off. But he has gotten tired of me every Sunday night telling him I need to stop this cycle and every Monday night doing elaborate reasons why (for me, not him) I am picking up again. He always would say, you do you, boo. He does not drink almost at all, but he has an addictive personality and believes no one can tell someone what to do on that only guilt them.

That said, my telling him I was done drinking was like BobDrop. I was a few days in here and not really thinking this was it. I was using the right words "Won't even drink, won't change my mind" but I wasn't sure really. I was in the Spiral of Shame part of my postings here and I just texted him from inside the house and asked him to come up. I told him I am done with drinking, it makes me unhappy, I need his help, I don't think of myself as an alcoholic, but I don't feel in control and I joined this thing called Sober Recovery.

We spent more time talking about the word alcoholic and then he asked how he can help. I said I may need him to be my strength when I am lacking it. By now I was in tears and all I kept hearing in my head was, "It's over." So I added to him, let's not think of this as some great confession but a celebration. I don't have to do this again and I am going to get healthier. He offered to pick up take out and find a good movie for the family to watch. Best part? I have never felt a sense of calm and hope and release than that moment.

Since then he is my accountability. I know I could probably make up a reason right now to drink and he wouldn't necessarily stop me. But just knowing I would have to explain myself counters all those AV voices. It all sounds as dumb as it is when I say it out loud. In Maine I could text him. Last night he thought I was working (we work together) as I was typing to you all. After I told him I was posting because the presentation and long weekend were a bit rough. He said, oh interesting...I didn't think of that.

But finally, not telling him for me was all about me. I was leaving that door open. As I said, telling him my goals closed the door because I was really just owning my resolve.

Some of you have said you felt that or know that you are done. Me too. But that would have scared me at the beginning of August. Take it as it comes, but let the idea roll around. I didn't plan on doing it and TBH the day after I was like What Have I Done? But that was for one minute and there have been thousands where I wouldn't have made it through otherwise.

To beat the keys thing to death, for those of you who aren't throwing them out (or whoever destroyed them!), let's all just remember firmly where they are. Lockbox buried in the backyard. Maybe they need to be framed and visible so you know where they are and see them clearly. I think the thinking about where they are/where you are is important.

JT, I am going to google the push/pull. I am very interested in your thoughts on that. I literally had someone in my corporate office laugh when I said I was an introvert. It is taking more of a toll on me, but more on that for my next business trip.

Strawberry, JT is was who got me engaged in this group so it seems that we have you to thank for that. Glad you are here still.

Odaat, I have seen life surprise people in so many beautiful ways. Your life path is not written in stone and you do not even have to be in charge of it. For better and for worse, life is a mystery. My grandmother decided to go back to school at 65, met a professor after my grandfather died while she was there and spent the next 20 years traveling the world as he gave lectures. Until then she had been a corporate housewife. I am not trying to be overly optimistic, just reminding us all that we never know where this will lead. If we stick with it we can find out.

I know you are all real people, but I just realized I am visualizing you like a novel. I have this snapshots and images for you all. But they are still so sketchy that I look forward to coloring it in more.

I need to run, but up I am now up to date. Here is a quick snapshot into the geeky side of me. My kids make fun of me for crying at Dr Who when Matt Smith's Doctor transitions and he says, "I don't want to go." If you are not a Doctor Who fan there is no way to translate this. He is still him after all, just changing bodies and so much more. Well, it is the change that he won't quite be him etc. That is my sobriety. I didn't want to go. But I have a fez or a celery in my lapel and am ready to go.

But...that is how I feel about moving to the daily support. I like the idea that it is graduation, but I don't want to go! I guess as long as you all are there with me, then wherever we go there we are.

Hmmm, maybe it is time to stop doing SR on incognito windows so it is such a pain to get back to. Happy labor day weekend start to US and good afternoon/evening to you all.

Promise you will make the jump to September!
Old 08-31-2018, 06:00 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Wow, graduation day. Congratulations everyone, see you on the Daily Support threads. I’ll be running the last leg of the August relay, but will meet you on the other side.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:46 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Hey everyone - Super quick checkin this morning. I'm sorry I don't have time to catch up reading your posts but I will later. I'm scrambling to get ready to leave for a 4 day weekend.

I had some cravings last night but made it though and am on day 7. I'm about to spend 6 hours in the car with my sister, but that's ok because we get along really well. I'm looking forward to it, and looking forward to spending time with people I care about this weekend.

I hope you all have a good one!
Old 08-31-2018, 08:07 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  
MetalRose

Good Morning Friends!

Starting Day 6 here and feeling proud. I love checking in each morning and reading, even if I don't/can't post. Huge thanks to BeKindAlways for the class list. It's amazing how we come from all over the world, yet share such similar stories.

Last night I watched my first SOBER football game of the season. A few friends were over, my hubby cooked, and everyone enjoyed beers. Everyone, except me! Oh my, was it difficult though. I counted each beer others drank and knew exactly how many were left at all moments of the evening. My AV enjoyed torturing me with reminders of how cold and delicious those beers would be...

Had I not confessed my problem and goal of sobriety to my husband and friends at the beginning of this journey, it would have been lost in an instant with a simple thought of, "I'll start again tomorrow." Their knowledge of the real situation regarding my problem with alcohol made ALL the difference. I see that "coming clean" to our loved ones has has a huge positive effect on many of us!

Amazing how we easily accept failing ourselves, but failing the ones we love is far more painful.

I wish love, comfort, and strength to us all! Thank you for being here and sharing this epic journey with me!
Old 08-31-2018, 09:04 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MetalRose View Post
Amazing how we easily accept failing ourselves, but failing the ones we love is far more painful.
This is so true. I can’t stand the thought of hurting my husband or children, or neglecting the relationships any more than I already have. And we have a great family unit! Lots of love, wonderful confidence in each other. But I could be even more present to them. My kids are growing up so fast, and I have used wine as an escape from the responsibilities I have to them. It’s so overwhelming at times, but hangovers and self loathing are no ticket to freedom.

I have told my husband over the years that I really needed to stop my wine habit (as I used to call it.) He would go along but never seem to really think I had a problem, so it was easy for him to let me back at it. Just a few weeks ago, I told him I have a problem which is an addiction and I need to stop. He has no clue how much I was actually drinking, but he knew I drank several nights a week. Anyway, I told him to not allow me to drink no matter what. If we’re at a restaurant, I told him to make a scene, if necessary ( I can be very convincing at times). At this point I don’t care if the wait staff knows I have a problem, I just don’t want to give in anymore. I told him I might beg and throw a little tantrum, but just help me work through it. Keep saying no. He is wonderful support for me, and I think he finally gets that it is a problem. He rarely drinks. And when he does, it’s one or two beers. That’s it. Doesn’t consume his thoughts, he doesn’t crave it. Ahhh.....but if you took candy/ sugary sweets away from him that would be another story!! We all have our issues, right? Some are more toxic than others.

Day 5 here. Still sick. Dying to get out for a run, but I’m using this time to relax and let the body heal.

I will see all of you lovely folks in daily support. Have a wonderful weekend.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:27 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Didn’t make it through day 5. But I will not go into a shame closet. Thanks to the people here. Can I still stay with Augustians??
Old 08-31-2018, 09:39 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Oh, Yes, Oregongirls! You’re one of us. May your resolve be even stronger after your set back.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:39 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Oregongirlsite. Don’t you dare going anywhere else.

I have to admit I’m climbing the walls here trying not to drink... but I know the only way to stop this mystery is to not pick up that first drink. My brain craves instant relief and AV is loud and persistent, but I’m not listening... it’s all lies.

Sigh. So tired.

Take care everyone
Old 08-31-2018, 09:42 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Checking on day 24.

I can’t believe August is over! Looking forward to a sober September.

Great job to all fellow August classmates. This is just the beginning.

To those who have struggled to stay sober this month, don’t give up. As long as you keep trying, your addiction can’t win.

Have a great day everyone
Old 08-31-2018, 09:49 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Welcome, H379 and Float. So glad you’re with us.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:54 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
Welcome back, Oregongirlsite. Don’t you dare going anywhere else.

I have to admit I’m climbing the walls here trying not to drink... but I know the only way to stop this mystery is to not pick up that first drink. My brain craves instant relief and AV is loud and persistent, but I’m not listening... it’s all lies.

Sigh. So tired.

Take care everyone
Start speaking truth to yourself, Snufkin. Holler at the AV within. Whatever you need to do to quiet that voice. It is a lie. You are a beautiful and valuable person. Stay close to SR, get the help you need, do what ever you need to do to save YOU.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:05 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

So glad you came right back oregongirl. I have to say that I am inspired by anyone who slips and comes right back. Sobriety is worth the fight, you are worth the fight!

I just got back from my yearly physical and bob, I thought of you. I was just diagnosed with pre-diabetes

I have a strong family history of diabetes. I was aware of this and eat a very clean/low carb diet and exercise regularly, keep my weight down. But the drinking was my down fall...just one more reason to stay sober!
Old 08-31-2018, 10:27 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Barbs-Sorry to hear that you've been doing all the things to avoid genetics and it seems to be headed your way anyway. I'm sure the vodka was my downfall too. We will get through it.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:00 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Back on day 2. When will I learn?!
I will not drink today. I am planning on a totally sober September. I'd like to stay with you all if that is ok. This is such a great class.

No school today so I am about to take my kids out to lunch, shopping and to the library.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:06 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Citrus View Post
Back on day 2. When will I learn?!
I will not drink today. I am planning on a totally sober September. I'd like to stay with you all if that is ok. This is such a great class.

No school today so I am about to take my kids out to lunch, shopping and to the library.
Hi Citrus!! We are a together family!! You are one day ahead of me!! Congratulations on your day!! I will always love our Augustians.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:06 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Day 18

Hey everyone. Just wanted to check in and let you know I'm still here. My hubs surprised the kids and I with a last minute vacation to Williamsburg VA and I had limited internet access. I have LOTS of reading and catching up to do. I have to say we went to Busch Gardens and anyone who knows me, knows I love roller coasters and (used to love) beer. It was definitely a test of will, my AV worked overtime but I made it. Didn't drop that torch! I'll write more later after I've caught up. 💛
Old 08-31-2018, 12:20 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Bekindalways, many thanks for doing the list, it really helps in such a big group. I am in Ireland but I love the designation you gave me!

I am tired , emotional and sober tonight. My husband is well on the way to drunk. Its o.k. I am beginning to accept that there is no point in addressing this until I am stronger. Life sober for me is no picnic but it is so much better than being drunk or worse, in the grip of withdrawal anxiety.

RAL we seem to both be suffering heath worries right now. Its tough....I am trying not to dwell on it, with little success!
Suze, great to hear you made it through a challenging evening.

A warm welcome to our newcomers, glad you made it to our special August group.

I was so relieved to see your post Dee. I was afraid you weren't well. My own health anxiety extends to everyone I care about!

Passing the torch.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:10 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Welcome, H379 and Float! Snufkin, Oregon, Citrus and anyone I am forgetting, I am glad you are sticking with us.

Snufkin, I think I joked that if there was a world cloud for my posts, visualize would be honking big. It sounds really tough for you right now, but I think if you can see the other side you can reach the other side. Your partner, your anxiety....stay safe and try to muster as much resolve that this can be different. You can end this cycle and find relief.

My mother was religious and my father was not. My mother once said it was that he wanted to believe in religion, but saw it as taking a leap off a platform and just hoping there was a trapeze for him to grab onto and a net to catch him if he fell. Long way of saying leap of faith. I think one of SR's values is so many voices on the other side saying, Take the leap! If you can't visualize it, just try to close your eyes and get through it to the other side.

For us US folks, a labor day check in. I wish I could have done more for those who had bank holidays last weekend, but sure am glad some of us don't have a three day weekend this weekend. For us US folks, hold tight and we get to start ticking off the days in a new season soon.

StartingOver, you are working so hard and doing great work in therapy etc. You are really digging in. Enjoy the car ride and your weekend.

QuitNow, just have to say, you sound great! Your husband sounds just like mine. I realize if I gave him a hard time about sweets/carbs (per our diabetes thread) it would just make him feel bad, but he has to find it on his own. Not as bad as drinking, but a reminder we all tick in different ways. I like your line of "years to come." May have mentioned it already but love it.

Mike have a great weekend. In a good way, you seem even further than 24 days. Thanks for your steady check ins. Your busy work/busy drink exhaustion was me too and would have been me this week. I would have gotten home after my long day and crammed my drinking into less time, felt worse, repeat....and by the end of the week be exhausted and hungover in every possible way and then the anxiety would creep in.

Speaking of, DavidBrown? How are you doing? You always have words of insight and self reflection motivation to add.

Strawberry & Hills, hope you are well. Sweetichick and Unshackled, I may have missed your post (I did notes and stepped away for a while). How are you?

Allie...I haven't mentioned your loss. You and JT sharing both touched me and really put things in perspective. I cannot even imagine. Your August tribute is amazing. I hope the mood stabilizes. Karen, your story of your son as well. Who is the caregiver? To be honest, I feel very self-centered in my triggering moments but am seeing such range in understanding how we all got here. I also am growing and learning from these stories that I am not sure the people I see on a daily basis share as openly as we do here. Outside of sobriety, it is very meaningful to me in life in general (still not pen pals though! If we are still at it next summer I am totally sending post cards

TeeJay, in some ways boredom (with a clear head) leads to the greatest changes. I used to think getting truly bored is when you see where you need to grow. The days are so much longer when you don't love your work. You seem to be doing great thinking and have a great start to a plan.

Maltrac, I think you are our leader in days? Glad it is getting easier to say no. You are shinning a brilliant way along our path.

MetalRose...you sound strong and proud! You should! Already knocking off the hard challenges of fall. I am not sure I would have been ready for that. Well done. I would also be watching the beers, but I haven't tested myself like that yet. Likewise, SKRAPPY....I think a surprise trip to Bush Gardens would have had my AV telling me, see you are off the hook...not your fault, who could blame you. Great job keeping strong. Both of you, these were not small tests!

Sorry if this is a repeat, but Seraphyn, you "accidentally" ending up at a red carpet event cracked me up (only because I knew you were okay). Don't you hate it when that happens? Were you dressed appropriately? I have questions =] Hope you feel better.

Ayers, hope this challenging/tempting event goes well, but I think it probably is. You are doing great and you wisely built in your hubbie support. Thinking of you.

Kit, another WOO HOOO. Amazing. I hope you are staying strong and sober in the face of success as well as fear. As I said, I am not great with both extremes. I hope you are enjoying some sober peace.

Red, I don't want to keep sounding like an isolated stereotypical American who doesn't know what a teacake is. I just enjoy our cultural differences. So when you talked about being asked out for tea I was like, well that sounds lovely. Ohhhh okay, not tea. You took control of that situation very well. This is a low current theme this week, yeah? Unexpected triumphs we prepare for by being strong, but not necessarily expecting. Nice.

RAL, you said an appointment on Thursday. Timezones aside, I assume that is next week? When I read it, it was Thursday. You and Darkling I think of as both strong and fighting through. You are always so kind. I wish I could give you more peace. I hope you are both well.

Itsbeentoolong, Day 12? Keep it going!

JT, you know I love your posts. I will admit I couldn't sleep last night and was taking notes here (shouldn't have been...that wasn't helping). Then I saw you post and was like OH NO! JT IS UP! And scampered like Cinderalla at the stroke of midnight up to bed. We cannot exist at the same moment like that!

Sorry if I missed anyone. This is a great walkthrough for me going into the long weekend. I read all your posts, but it is amazing all of the themes big and little that we are all connecting in big and small ways. Telling others, if this is it it, the relationship with the past and now, therapy/AA/medication, where do we go from here/plans for the future, belief in ourselves, mistakes/slips, unexpected temptations.

Our goal is sobriety, period. It is what unites us, but it is so clear that life and sobriety are hand in hand. This is big stuff. I always knew I needed more than just NOT drinking and all of you sharing are making it so much more than that. I am really seeing and examining life in ways that are so good beyond my own head/perspective. Getting out of my head is critical for my sobriety. Thank you.

Dee/Last One Out, please make sure that torch is lit in our new home on SR.

For US folks, I am so looking forward to not coming down after a 3 day weekend feeling anxious and making another pledge to start fresh. Been there, done that. Time for something new.

See you on the flip side!
Old 08-31-2018, 01:12 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Quick question (seriously =)
Is there a way to post attachments in here (photos, docs). I am guessing no, but I swear I have seen a photo attached. I was just wondering re: lists etc.

Thanks! And Snufkin (or anyone else) I will keep an eye out if you need it. Keep posting and take care of you.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:15 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Citrus, glad you are back. Barbs, pre-diabetes is not diabetes. Once again, funny how we all try to be healthy and then ignore this one thing. You are on the right track. Glad you are well otherwise.

Dee, glad you are feeling better. RAL/Darkling and others, worrying about health is the worst. I still catch myself googling everything I read (part of why I stay out of some of the larger forum), but tell myself I am doing all I can for now (or at least the most important) and my body can and will heal.