Notices

Class of August 2018 Part Two

Old 08-22-2018, 05:55 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Hi All,
I finally caught up on all of your posts while I was gone! I am happy to say it took a LONG TIME. Busy weekend here! What struck me was not just the momentum of this class, but how many cross-combos of people on similar days, people taking time to lift up one, bond over diets, relationships, work. There are just so many signs of how the group as a whole are filling in support in so many ways. It was heart warming to read.

Forgive me if I miss anyone, but welcome since I went on vacation: Hills, Lilian, StartingOverNW, Snufkin, Hugbear, Wildflower, ChrissiB, Fallow, Juno, Magnolia, Serophyne and Midton. That is since last Thursday, woosh!

A few quickies. Skrappy, thanks for sharing your story and wooo hooo in not only getting through last night, but for being stronger because of it. Nicely done. StartingOver (and whoever was my Audible-phile), if you like books, I am loving "The Recovering" by Leslie Jamison. It just came out recently but is a great mix of drinking plus interesting history lessons. Not your usual stuff, but a lot of beautiful reflections on authors and history...it is just so good.

Strawberry, your determination is impressive. Really. When I quit years ago cold turkey, I really relied on this site WhyQuit. It is old and clunky (um, not saying I know others like that =) but The First 72 Hours really helped me get my mind around it. My husband did it with nicotine patches. You are really fighting a good fight.

Snufkin, Wildflower, WhyQuit and anyone else in early days...keep going. Keep working that sobriety muscle and it will get stronger. Believe in yourself.

And there are so many of us getting up there in numbers! Congrats SweetP and Maltrac and anyone I forgot.

Odaat sorry for the late nights. I think someone else (RAL?) is also working hard. I am slammed at work. Vacations almost aren't worth it (um..yeah, they are).

JT, beautiful post. I love your morning reflections. Patterson, hope you are feeling better with the infection. Ah, I can't do everything I want to say, but one last. MNS, so glad to meet you Mike. Glad to see you rocking it.

Glad to be fully back and be in touch with all you have so generously shared on your journey. Proud to be back in step with the great relay race.

S
Old 08-22-2018, 06:07 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Welcome Seraphyne and Midton!

JT, I guess the “old and bothersome” reference could apply to me, though at the moment I was referring to late hours at work, lol. I pace myself at work and find my energy level nearly depleted by 5:00 p.m., so those last minute assignments leave my head spinning.

Sweetichick, JT summed it up beautifully, you need to do this for yourself. While physical improvements won’t happen overnight, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain with sobriety. Search neuropathy on SR and you’ll see posts by others whose neuropathy symptoms significantly diminished or disappeared with long-term sobriety. Chin up, it can only get better from this point on.

Congratulations to everyone hitting a milestone today; be it 3 hours, 3 days, 3 weeks or longer! Let’s make today a sober and productive Wednesday.

Ps, Quit, my avatar is an older version of my kitty that I lost last year, I still miss her. Poor thing went blind six months before she died but managed to find her way around the house by walking next to walls. She would still wait for me by the door when I got home from work. I’d love to get another cat, but I’m not ready just yet.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:14 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Checking in at day 15!

To be honest I've been struggling this last week or so. Not anything to do with drinking. I went out last night with a friend to a regular fortnightly comedy writing workshop that we attend. It is set in a pub in London and would normally have been an opportunity for a few drinks. My friend didn't drink either so I am pleased to have made it through, Not that I entertained even the slightest thought of slipping!
I am struggling a bit generally. As I have said before I have been out of work for some time and money is getting tight. It also means I spend a lot of time at home on my own which is becoming draining. The medication I am on makes it hard to sleep although I feel much better otherwise because of it. So I am out of kilter at the moment.
This is the reason I haven't been posting so much.

Congrats to all of you who have reached milestones and continue successfully with your sobriety and welcome to all newcomers.

It feels to me that this group was meant to be. I joined SR in 2015 at a time when I thought I had decided to give up drinking. I have to be honest that I felt sorry for a lot of the people whose posts I read. I just ended up thinking that I didn't have a problem and ended up carrying on with my destructive lifestyle.
This time is very different. I have really made the decision this time and it seems to me that the universe had provided me with this group to help.
I have only ever been to on AA meeting and it didn't really do it for me. That said, it did make me think about what my higher power is. I consider myself an agnostic and religion doesn't do it for me. I suppose you could call my higher power the collective consciousness. That thing that connects us all. We and everything around us are made of energy. The same particles but vibrating at different frequencies. The problem with certainly the western world is that we don't allow the connections to happen. We go through life keeping ourselves to ourselves. This group, in my view, is a group who has chosen to allow the connections and because of this we have a power that we cannot achieve on our own. The power of teamwork and collaboration.

Have a great sober day!

David
Old 08-22-2018, 06:16 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Today is day 29. On day 29 in the beginning of July I went on vacation and convinced myself a glass of wine was something I would do on vacation. 29 days later I decided to never drink again and never change my mind. Officially at the end of today it will be my longest stretch sober that I can remember in 5 years. I knew all of this going into my weekend and happy to have made it.

So as for my weekend (I just reread this...it's long! you don't have to read!)

It was lovely. I can go on and on about it, but as far as The Drink.

First day my older sister's missed her flight so my son and I had time with my younger sister. We sat on a deck over the water and I ordered a lime and soda and she got a mojito. It was windy and beautiful and hot and after a few minutes of looking around I really felt happy to be having this drink and knowing that if I was not I would be thinking about the next. After she drank hers she said, ugh, I feel blah and woozy from that in the middle of the afternoon. It made me happy.

When I knew my older sister was coming I got insane cravings. All the AV stuff: just this once, one more time, you're not /that/ far along, it is vacation etc. You can guess. The more I ignored it the more it felt like a train coming to hit me. I read this forum in a gift shop while she was shopping. I texted my husband. His response: "That's not you, you forget yourself. You've got this." I love the double meaning of you forget yourself. I was forgetting my real self. Anyhow, wasn't enough. I read my cheat sheet and felt anxiety like this bad thing was GOING to happen, no choice. Finally I talked to little sister.

I said I am worried big sis is going to feel bad (my AV justifying) if I don't drink since it is vacation and I am not drinking because it isn't agreeing with me as I get older. She is 6 years younger and proceeded to tell me about a bad drinking experience she had just had and how interesting it was that I felt that way and maybe she would follow my lead. She was not helping me, I barely opened up. But it got my head straight. I suddenly realized I was projecting a ton on my big sister and to just enjoy the moment. This is also when I realized this whole crazy intensity lasted 10 minutes. It felt like a week. I realized I was the one who joined this group and I just need to trust me.

The restaurant that night had wonderful selection of mocktails. I know for some these are triggers, but it was great for me. I had planned a mocktail to ask for from research, but they had great ones with fun names and fancy glasses. I was fine and great. My sister and her husband went out after I went to bed and the next morning she looked like hell and I was up at dawn to go around the sleepy seaside village taking pictures with my son. I might add one of those pictures to my cheat sheet arsenal.

Next day we stopped at the store on the way to the house. I chose not to go in as I knew booze would be on the list. I asked for hot chocolate. I posted about that earlier, but I found that planning what I was going to drink and having it be something I wouldn't drink during the day helped. I really visualized it. It was a wonderful, special day. That night I had a repeat of the night before thoughts but way less intense. I was happy to get in bed. Son and I woke up early and watched the sun again, took pictures, got a full day in by the morning.

By night 3 I barely noticed if/when people were drinking. Well, not entirely true. I think they were drinking a lot less. As I said, I either projected on my sister or we were bad encouragement for each other. By night 3 it seemed like an odd thing to do when everything was so wonderful. I woke my son up (he goes to bed early which has helped my after bed drinking in the past) and we drank our hot chocolate and watched for shooting stars in the clear sky.

When I said goodbye to my sisters, they both were talking about quality of life and how we all want to live a long time and watch our kids grow up after spending time with my 90 year old great aunt. It was a normal thing to say after spening time with her, but also guessing my behavior made them have a conversation and I set a new bar.

I came home feeling like the drinking me is far away. I know it is just a weekend, but it was perhaps my hardest test and I did it. I think my take away is a) habits...create new ones an visualize them to fill in the gaps and visualizing what I would do, what it would taste like, smell like etc. I have never thought more about a mug of cocoa and b) as Tony and others have been saying recently, love yourself and do it for me.

I know I could have skulked off into the darkness here or just avoided telling my husband (he never asked), but I have my head held high following through on my promise to myself.

Thanks for letting me share this long story. Thanks for being with me in a little shop in Maine and getting me through.

(Now to go google Tunnocks cakes and Choc hobnobs. You guys crack me up.)
Old 08-22-2018, 06:23 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Hey Dee,

I feel it’s my destiny to succeed at this. On the other hand I joined here 9 years ago.

Happy to be back. Just writing to an understanding groups helps.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:25 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Davidbrown402 View Post
Hi All,

This group, in my view, is a group who has chosen to allow the connections and because of this we have a power that we cannot achieve on our own. The power of teamwork and collaboration.

David
Lovely thought DavidB. I am sorry you are struggling, but happy this is a place of connection for you and me. Congrats on day 15!
Old 08-22-2018, 06:26 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
I'm back after 3 days of drinking. Nothing seems to be helping me stop all together. I have tons of extra money after quitting smoking cigarettes. I now use vaping I used to run out of money and couldn't buy alcohol. I feel like I can't put myself through the sleep deprivation and horrible emotions. I am so stressed over this neuropathy thing that I just want to drink to shut my brain up. I had to have my groceries delivered. I can barely move off my lounge. I just drink and watch tv or internet. My heart test was cancelled due to my illhealth. I am seeing the cardiology to get a different test. How do you stay sober?, I have nothing to stay sober for anymore.
Hi Sweeti,

I was thinking about you this morning, and wondering how you're doing. You have you to stay sober for, and you are pretty amazing. Start today by getting rid of any alcohol in the house. Jump in the shower and get outdoors for a bit, I know nature always helps me feel better. Go to to store and buy the ingredients to make your favorite meal. Open a savings account t and start putting some of the money you are saving since you quit smoking in there to save for something your really want to do, or you really want. Head to a meeting, they seemed to help you.

I know you can do this Sweeti!!!❤️
Old 08-22-2018, 06:28 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midton View Post

I feel it’s my destiny to succeed at this.
Hey, that is a fantastic attitude! Why bother torturing yourself if you know it ends with stopping. Getting to the good stuff faster is a lot more fun. Glad you are here.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:31 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SuzesSobriety View Post
Today is day 29. On day 29 in the beginning of July I went on vacation and convinced myself a glass of wine was something I would do on vacation. 29 days later I decided to never drink again and never change my mind. Officially at the end of today it will be my longest stretch sober that I can remember in 5 years. I knew all of this going into my weekend and happy to have made it.

So as for my weekend (I just reread this...it's long! you don't have to read!)

It was lovely. I can go on and on about it, but as far as The Drink.

First day my older sister's missed her flight so my son and I had time with my younger sister. We sat on a deck over the water and I ordered a lime and soda and she got a mojito. It was windy and beautiful and hot and after a few minutes of looking around I really felt happy to be having this drink and knowing that if I was not I would be thinking about the next. After she drank hers she said, ugh, I feel blah and woozy from that in the middle of the afternoon. It made me happy.

When I knew my older sister was coming I got insane cravings. All the AV stuff: just this once, one more time, you're not /that/ far along, it is vacation etc. You can guess. The more I ignored it the more it felt like a train coming to hit me. I read this forum in a gift shop while she was shopping. I texted my husband. His response: "That's not you, you forget yourself. You've got this." I love the double meaning of you forget yourself. I was forgetting my real self. Anyhow, wasn't enough. I read my cheat sheet and felt anxiety like this bad thing was GOING to happen, no choice. Finally I talked to little sister.

I said I am worried big sis is going to feel bad (my AV justifying) if I don't drink since it is vacation and I am not drinking because it isn't agreeing with me as I get older. She is 6 years younger and proceeded to tell me about a bad drinking experience she had just had and how interesting it was that I felt that way and maybe she would follow my lead. She was not helping me, I barely opened up. But it got my head straight. I suddenly realized I was projecting a ton on my big sister and to just enjoy the moment. This is also when I realized this whole crazy intensity lasted 10 minutes. It felt like a week. I realized I was the one who joined this group and I just need to trust me.

The restaurant that night had wonderful selection of mocktails. I know for some these are triggers, but it was great for me. I had planned a mocktail to ask for from research, but they had great ones with fun names and fancy glasses. I was fine and great. My sister and her husband went out after I went to bed and the next morning she looked like hell and I was up at dawn to go around the sleepy seaside village taking pictures with my son. I might add one of those pictures to my cheat sheet arsenal.

Next day we stopped at the store on the way to the house. I chose not to go in as I knew booze would be on the list. I asked for hot chocolate. I posted about that earlier, but I found that planning what I was going to drink and having it be something I wouldn't drink during the day helped. I really visualized it. It was a wonderful, special day. That night I had a repeat of the night before thoughts but way less intense. I was happy to get in bed. Son and I woke up early and watched the sun again, took pictures, got a full day in by the morning.

By night 3 I barely noticed if/when people were drinking. Well, not entirely true. I think they were drinking a lot less. As I said, I either projected on my sister or we were bad encouragement for each other. By night 3 it seemed like an odd thing to do when everything was so wonderful. I woke my son up (he goes to bed early which has helped my after bed drinking in the past) and we drank our hot chocolate and watched for shooting stars in the clear sky.

When I said goodbye to my sisters, they both were talking about quality of life and how we all want to live a long time and watch our kids grow up after spending time with my 90 year old great aunt. It was a normal thing to say after spening time with her, but also guessing my behavior made them have a conversation and I set a new bar.

I came home feeling like the drinking me is far away. I know it is just a weekend, but it was perhaps my hardest test and I did it. I think my take away is a) habits...create new ones an visualize them to fill in the gaps and visualizing what I would do, what it would taste like, smell like etc. I have never thought more about a mug of cocoa and b) as Tony and others have been saying recently, love yourself and do it for me.

I know I could have skulked off into the darkness here or just avoided telling my husband (he never asked), but I have my head held high following through on my promise to myself.

Thanks for letting me share this long story. Thanks for being with me in a little shop in Maine and getting me through.

(Now to go google Tunnocks cakes and Choc hobnobs. You guys crack me up.)
Hey Suze,

A great post and congratulations on your lovely weekend. I'd like t pick up on one point which I think relates to my idea of the higher power being the collective consciousness. I think us non drinkers often feel a bit apologetic for our sobriety. we feel the need to say to others that it is OK for them to drink when we are not. Ultimately, it is their choice whether to drink or not. The fact is that one persons behaviour affects the behaviour of others. I suspect that you have been an influencer on your weekend and have started to get others to think about their own quality of life. This is also what we are all doing with each other in this group. Every action has a reaction.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:38 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Welcome sweetichick, Serophyne, Midton, and anyone else I may have missed - I'm glad you're here with us

Good morning everyone. Its day 4 for me. I almost slipped up yesterday evening but made it through. I actually had a moment of 'No...not gonna do that...gonna choose to live my life this time', and felt really good about it afterwards.

The anxiety is soo much better this morning than a couple of days ago, and I'm feeling really grateful about that but I've also had bad insomnia the last 3 nights and am feeling really tired today, but also have a LOT to get done by the end of the week at work so....just gotta push through today.

I hope everyone struggling hangs in there, and you all have a great sober day.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:49 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Hope it is OK if I join this group (back here again). Had a period sober of a few months and then relapsed(a common pattern that I keep repeating) , small amounts at first but it has escalated to a peak over the last 6 to 8 weeks of drinking nearly every day. I need to get a approach sorted this time. For today I will start posting and I will use the long weekend to read and formulate a plan.

Best to all
Old 08-22-2018, 07:01 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by timetotry1 View Post
Hi all,

Hope it is OK if I join this group (back here again). Had a period sober of a few months and then relapsed(a common pattern that I keep repeating) , small amounts at first but it has escalated to a peak over the last 6 to 8 weeks of drinking nearly every day. I need to get a approach sorted this time. For today I will start posting and I will use the long weekend to read and formulate a plan.

Best to all
Hey Time,

Of course it is ok, welcome!

You will find a very supportive group of lovely people here
Old 08-22-2018, 07:19 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Juno,

Just noticed you’re on here. Hope you’re doing well. We seem to have a very similar pattern.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:54 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

I feel so agitated and not sure why thinking of wine. It is my birthday this weekend and don't want to drink. Why now ? These incessant thoughts. I need to relax 😢
Old 08-22-2018, 08:20 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

It's so easy to give advice but so much harder to take my own advice. 😨
Old 08-22-2018, 08:54 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
It's so easy to give advice but so much harder to take my own advice. 😨
I so get this Ready!! Can you surf the urge. I don't think I have really done this yet so if you successfully do it, let me know how it goes.

Hmmm . . . now I'm thinking I need to surf the urge to be on the internet all the time - ugh.

I'm closing the computer doing some yoga, clean-up, bill paying and laundry.

Sleep well Australians, Strawberry and the group in the UK.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:08 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Suze I love reading your long novels, lol. Your cheat sheet is a great idea. I love those last few sentences. I think I will copy them

Tony, great post. I think we all are all in need of some self love.

Welcome to all the newcomers. Seem like every time I log on there are several newbies, I think that's great. This is such a great class!

I'm feeling pretty good today. Anxiety seems to have settled down to a manageable level. I've been busy with the gym and eating pretty healthy. I have a complete physical at the end of the end of the month and hoping for a good report

I hope those who are struggling find strength through out the day and show themselves some of that self love Tony was talking about.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:18 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Thanks be kind. I've had 3 glasses of water 2 cigarettes and I don't even smoke. A bath a Jacuzzi and now watching TV. An hour has passed. I still feel agitated but telling myself I'll feel better tomorrow.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:20 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Thanks be kind. I've had 3 glasses of water 2 cigarettes and I don't even smoke. A bath a Jacuzzi and now watching TV. An hour has passed. I still feel agitated but telling myself I'll feel better tomorrow.
How much longer before you can go to bed?
Old 08-22-2018, 09:30 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Welcome midton and timetotry

Congrats to everyone checking in with another day sober!

RAL I think a lot of us are way harder on ourselvers than we are on other people. Keep leaning on us you can do this