Notices

Class of August 2018 Part One

Old 08-02-2018, 06:05 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Good morning!
Hi Forester and Strawberry! Thanks everyone for sharing and being so honest. I love the Al Pacino quote. TBH, it sort of gave me chills. The difference between lurking and building an actual support network is that. It renewed me.

I love the get up and go for a walk. I need to do more of that. I also am in my 40s and the resentment thing I am trying to figure out. Sometimes I think that was my thing, but for me it was a bit of play martyr (plus lots of real responsibilities) and then feel I deserve this. So I am trying to figure out how much is real and how much is self-inflicted drama. For me, sort of a work hard etc. I also have a pretty senior job and find that sometimes I fell into this Mad Men sort of drama of this is adulting: big job means big after-work-me-time, if that makes any sense.

Tonight I am going to see my aunt and uncle at a hotel near here. They live fairly far away. It is great to see them for dinner. A week ago, I was worried about it being tempting to drink. They are in their 70s and not big drinkers. Their grandson and my son will be there. The point is, that is totally /my/ crazy thinking. No one else would ever think a dinner like that on a work night it would be odd to not drink. In fact, they would respect it. Once again, projection. It seems like a great opportunity to test out a social situation and feel normal. I have been fixating on what non alcoholic drink to get. Not sure if that is healthy (I think of it as visualization and planning) or more obsessive thinking, but I feel good.

I quit smoking a while ago. Good luck! It helps me with the drinking now. When I quit smoking it sucked, but I was so aware it was physical and a duh, this is healthy so ignore the withdrawal. For drinking, it is the same, but there is this social/societal piece of missing out or it being unfair. In reality, both are not healthy and both are very similar. I never thought, gee I wish I could have just one after I go through this hell. I thought, I am never going through this hell again.

Sometimes I channel that.

Sorry this was so long. I am just excited to be feeling so good on a sunny, Thursday morning.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:32 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I hate that I am still having to struggle at this quitting lark. Frustrated and mad at myself today for continually fxxxxxx up.

Two hours sleep last night so I am on a very short fuse. Staying away from human kind as much as possible until I can be some semblance of civilised company.....

Despite my rant, I am very grateful to be with you August folks. Day 4. Wishing everyone well today.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:42 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hi all. My name is Casey and I'd like to join this class. This is most definitely not my first class here at SR but I need to make it my last. The best sobriety I've had over the last five years has been because of the support and fellowship I've found here at SR so I need to get back in the habit of visiting and participating here regularly.

Today is day 2 for me. Yesterday went well for being probably the first day in at least three months that I haven't had a drink. I worked. I went to an AA meeting. I got over my embarrassment and logged back in here. Today's plan is basically more of the same--work in a little bit, dinner with some sober folk that I reconnected with last night, and then a meeting after that. Oh, and checking in here at SR as much as is necessary and possible.

Wishing everyone a safe and sober day. I'm not going to drink today. Period.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:44 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I am 11 days in, but I want to be in the August group because it’s still new for me and because my birthday is this mont(a good time for a new beginning)! Looking forward to the camaraderie, new ideas, and support. Hope I can offer that as well.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:44 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Glad to hear you had a goid day I like marmalade. Sometimes it's the little things go that really make a big difference and make us feel so much better. Hope your today is another good one.

Thanks for the post cat lover. Congrats on your sober time.

Just at swimming with my son although I am just watching as struggling to move 😨 feel pretty peaceful which is positive. Just keeping on keeping on.
Thanks RAL....appreciate it.

Enjoy your day and with your son swimming.

Part of being here is for me, my wife and especially my son.

Good day!.....Marmalade
Old 08-02-2018, 07:46 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matrac View Post
Looking forward to the camaraderie, new ideas, and support. Hope I can offer that as well.
Welcome matrac.

I'm looking forward to the same, I'd guess we all are.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:48 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Glad to be here with you Casey.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:43 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hi Casey, Cat, Matrac, Forester and anyone else I missed. Day 2 here. Not feeling any desire to drink--yet. Planning to go to a meeting tonight, and will be getting together with some family that's visiting later in the afternoon. They're not really drinkers at all so not worried about that.
This seems like a good group so far--wishing you all strength and peace today
Old 08-02-2018, 10:25 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Welcome casey and matrac .

That sunsure it up well marmalade being present. I have been working on this this week plus on staying calm .

Hope everyone is having a good day
Old 08-02-2018, 02:01 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Re-Member

How's everyone doing this Thursday afternoon?

Just got off work. Going to play some video games before dinner and meeting. Still not going to drink today. Even if I want to. Which I don't right now.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:59 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Thanks for the well wishes everyone who has mentioned me, and well wishes and hugs all around for everyone.

Day 6 here now. my headache is interminable and untreatable since about 24 hours now. No relief in sight yet... will just keep being kind to myself. One day at a time.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:26 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Nearly midnight in the UK and all those old feelings of resentment are creeping back in again:
  • Why have I done this to myself again?
  • Why can't I just be normal?
  • What's the point?
  • The road ahead looks impossible.
  • Forever is a long time.
  • If only I could find some self control?

You know - for me it's never been about alcohol? I don't even really like the taste THAT much. It was about switching the brain off from the day to day grind and from some of the tragedy that has shaped my meaning and my life. Almost a living 'suicide' if you will?

I'm depressed about the situation and who I find myself to be if I'm honest.

Just some late evening ramblings....

Regards,

JT
Old 08-02-2018, 03:51 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
Nearly midnight in the UK and all those old feelings of resentment are creeping back in again:
  • Why have I done this to myself again?
  • Why can't I just be normal?
  • What's the point?
  • The road ahead looks impossible.
  • Forever is a long time.
  • If only I could find some self control?

You know - for me it's never been about alcohol? I don't even really like the taste THAT much. It was about switching the brain off from the day to day grind and from some of the tragedy that has shaped my meaning and my life. Almost a living 'suicide' if you will?

I'm depressed about the situation and who I find myself to be if I'm honest.

Just some late evening ramblings....

Regards,

JT
I certainly relate. Very hard to see the road ahead. But then its hard to see anything at Day 4. I am realising that 99% of my thoughts are completely untrustworthy. I want to drink....I don't.....and on and on. The endless chatter in my mind. Thinking just is no use because my thoughts have been completely highjacked by addiction. One book that has given me pause is "the inside out revolution" by Michael Neill. I find it hard to hold onto the ideas in it because they are so opposite to my usual frame of reference. But, I can see that thought itself can be an enemy in trying to change.....it gets me right back to where I started. The theory or principles in the book are not just cognitive therapy......its a much more radical view of transformation. It has a spiritual dimension, which I would have dismissed up to now. But despair has made me a bit more open to it.

Hope all the August group are safe and manage to get some sleep.

Goodnight
Darkling Song
Old 08-02-2018, 04:17 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Casey and Matrac

I was buried so deep it took a few months for the real me to re-emerge and for my life to start to coalesce again.

This is not the best it gets guys - but you're defintely on the right road.
Stay on this right road and you'll be ok

D
Old 08-02-2018, 07:47 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Day 5

Well what a difference a little bit of sleep makes. From feeling desperately low last night I’m positively Zen this morning. Up nice and early and made a fresh coffee - lit all the. Anders in the living room - and had ten minutes of mindfulness as the wife and my doggie snooze away upstairs. I live in the heart of the countryside so the peace and quiet at close to 4am with candles flickering is a great way to ease into the day. Sober,

I had 50 days in Dec/Jan so for those in their first few days I promise it gets so, so much better. Hang in there.

I’m typing on my iPhone so I can’t reference a lot of the posters above by name but I assure you I read all your posts.

I’m glad you liked the Al Pacino quote SuzesSobriety. It is one of the great motivational speeches about being a team that I have ever heard. Hopefully that’s what we will become here.

Darkling - your last post on here sounded like you were in a similar place to where I was last night. A few hours sleep can make a big difference and I hope you feel better soon?

ReadyAtLast - being present is definitely a key for me too. Thanks to Marmalade for reminding us of that. I’m certainly not present when I drink. I’m a shaking, sweating, zombie of a man.

Linners, Casey, Cat, Matrac, Forester - hope to get to know you and your stories better.

Strawberry - how’s the no smoking going? I used to smoke 40 a day but gave up in April 2002. It’s so hard but so worth it.

I will not drink today.

Regards,

JT
Old 08-02-2018, 09:24 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Morning Tony ! Day 2 no smoking ... It was so so hard yesterday . I'm just having my coffee before work and trying to make myself busy !
I will
Not smoke or drink today!
Have a good day ! It's very very hot here in Greece today and I'm dreading having to work on it this morning !
Stay strong everyone xx
Old 08-02-2018, 11:24 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I just wanted to pop in from August 2017 class and say hi everyone and well done on making the decision to stop drinking. I’m happy to say I have now been sober for one year and one week, stopping drinking is the best thing I have ever done without a doubt. You CAN do this and it will be awesome to have the support of your class along the way. Best wishes Augustians!
Old 08-02-2018, 11:40 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Morning classmates 😀

Great to hear you are feeling better Tony. Sleep really is the best medicine as my mother would say 😀

Welcome to the newcomers.

Howe is your head today forester? My head feels at ease for the first time in ages. My aches and pains have lessened too thankfully. Day 5. Driving home today which is a 6 hour trek. Will check in tonight. Have a great day all.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:57 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Head is cracking... still.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:13 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope its better tomorrow Forester. Stay hydrated. I find that helps me.

D