Notices

Class of March 2016 part 72

Old 07-27-2018, 07:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The theme for July and for the 7th step in AA is about humility. Humbly ask God to remove our shortcomings.

The 7th step prayer is awesome.
"My Creator, I am now willing that you should have all of me, good and bad. I pray that you now remove from me every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to you and my fellows. Grant me strength, as I go out from here, to do your bidding. Amen."

Letting go of my will and my ego are huge obstacle I have. When I practice to do His will, (higher power - whatever you choose, don't get hung up on this) and not try to control everything myself, everything falls into place. I really love the 7th step and the prayer.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purplrks3647 View Post
Hey guys.....gotta give this weekend thing another go....close call yesterday; I've been so frustrated at work (mainly with ME for putting myself here to begin with) but I was tempted to request a personal day today so I could drink last night after work. It didn't happen, and I'm not looking forward to going in today, but at least I'm not hungover now.....

Having a crap job with crap pay is putting that fire under my ass to do something about it. Mindful crap....

Oh, "Here!" btw #RollCall
I'm sorry that work sucks. I'm not very thrilled with my job either. I hope you can find something that suits you. Not to be redundant, but if you drink, the problems with your job are still there. Just saying. Hugs, Purple!
Old 07-27-2018, 10:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Old 07-27-2018, 11:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Roll call check in.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Checking in here too.

And this girl is celebrating four months sober today!! Can’t say it has been easy or that there weren’t some iffy moments but I’ve never had a hangover-free morning I didn’t like.

Purplrks - I feel very much the same in my job. But I always try to remind myself that it’s only how I make my living not how I live my life. If that makes sense? Great job muscling through yesterday!!

Hi Trachemys!!

Bobbie, BBG, PJ and Suze - thanks for being here and keeping the fire warm.

Love you guys!! ❤️
Old 07-27-2018, 01:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I had a dream...

that I made my deceased old's go outside to see the total lunar eclipse- and explained to them it was a rarity for this part of the century. Then the dream reminder me that outside a total eclipse was happening, so I got up- JUST as the show started.
A very clear sky- the full moon in very sharp focus and little else surrounding it.
Except Mars- that shone with a sharpness of our little moon- but distinctly red.
I noted the differing tones and shadows, which was the theme of painting in art this week.
Then a meteorite shot past lower than the moon to my left- and burned up.
Then something man made shot past- very sharp white light, flashing like a plane- but incredibly fast..and no sound of engines (it was also very quiet) and later another sharp lit flashing light raced past in the opposite direction. Do satellites have blinking lights? Maybe the ISS (one of them)

And the whole while- the moon began to lessen in light, oh-so slowly. A sharp crescent made way to a softer light as the total eclipse took over.
I was aware that the light and shadows were affected by our stratosphere and the spinning of the earth on it's axis- as well as orbiting the sun- which has it's own ellipse and orbit in the Milky Way. AND that the moon also spins and has an orbit. I did not try to imagine how this harmonious dance played out- I was just enjoying the show.
This all started at about 0445. It is 0607 now- and the full moon is 'setting' in the SW...it's glow looks like someone put a reddish, black veil over it.

Thank you Universe.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

PJ, you might like my eclipse tale from last year:

Having known about TGAE for two years, I knew I was going. I did not know where or how but, I was going. So, as the date closed in, two weaks ago I started planning. I looked up times, checked weather forecasts, studied maps, consulted oracles, and plotted to take over the...wait...plotted a road trip. I notified work that I would not be available today. As the day approached I was checking weather and confirming times daily. The plan was going to work and was going forward. This morning, I got up to beautiful weather forecasts. Looking at traffic on my proposed route, I saw no congestion as other locations were experiencing. Those things could have stopped us.
They didn't.
I went over to the folks' house We loaded their van with chairs and coolers, and took off. My sisters and BIL could not go due to work reasons. Sorry.
The route was a straight shot East on I-20 to our destination. We stopped for cheap fuel and Popeye's chicken at the same well-planned intersection. Back in the van, we continued east. No stopping now. Even though driving down into the Savannah River Valley, the clouds were accumulating.
We motored on into the hinterlands of South Carolina. Past exits with fewer and fewer businesses until there were none. We started seeing people setting up in field adjacent to the Interstate corridor. It was close to time for the show. The folks were asking, "When are we going to get there?" I answered, "Look, the clouds are leaving."
There, there's the exit. Pulling off, I was relieved. Exactly what I had envisioned. Only one business: a rather large truck stop with a restaurant, lots of space and people already gathering. The nearest town was twenty miles away. We parked, broke out the chairs on a grassy bank, and I went for a break and coffee. Would the proprietors mind all these people filling their parking lot for the event? I was ready to rent space. Unnecessary. They were rolling in probably the best day they would have for a while. By my count, I experienced this with less than 250 kindred folk. Like I planned.
Back at our little site, I broke out the glasses and informed the folks: It's begun. More and more people were coming into the truck stop. Sold our extra pair, at cost, to someone unprepared. We had a prime spot. We relaxed for an hour, checking the progress, waiting for the climax. We had all experienced partial eclipses. Impressively weird, but nothing like what was coming. It grew dimmer and dimmer. The breezes picked up and the temperature was dropping. When the Sun was like a sliver, I put my glasses on and watched. Told the folks to put theirs on and watch. "When you see the flare, take them off quick."
First flare!
Whipped off the glasses and watched the corona bloom like a flower around the moon. A collective gasp from the entire truck stop, cheers, applause. Tried taking pictures with woefully inadequate cameras. And the flowering of the sun continued. Stunningly beautiful. Stars appeared. The bird were silent. The night bugs woke up. It's not as dark as darkest night as the corona itself puts off a lot of light. To see it bare-eyed is to know there is a nuclear explosion anchoring our fragile place in the universe. And it is a thing of beauty.
I'm watching and watching and enthralled. I realize it has to end and tell the folks(and strangely, everyone around is listening to me) "Get ready to put your glasses on at the second flare of the sun." The edge grows brighter, I say, "Now", and
Second flare!
Again, gasps, cheers, and applause. The world was safe. We loaded up the van and heading home, we drove under ever increasing light. If this were a novel, that would be the line before The End. This was not a novel.
The Sun revisited the Earth.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:22 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Roll call check in.

Ready for the weekend - totally exhausted. Feeling in good company with Purps and Bobbie, though.

I try to be thankful for the good job I have and the mostly decent and hard working folks that are in my smallish company. My work has been crazy lately, but the Universe continues to do what the Universe does, around me and in me.

Going food shopping shortly, need to get some of that good and tasty Universe in my belly
Old 07-27-2018, 05:51 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the BDay wishes all
Congrats on 4 months Sam

D
Old 07-27-2018, 06:35 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

good Trach...unfort I dinna have optical devices- but my eyes, that was enough tho.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:50 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Congrats on 4 months Sam. That is fantastic!

Happy belated B-Day wishes, Dee!!

Hi PJ!!!
Old 07-28-2018, 04:44 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Congrats from me too Sam. ♥♥♥♥
Old 07-28-2018, 11:50 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I want to say things, but it's currently pointless. I'm simply checking in.

Awesome job on four months Sam! And try not to let you the job get you down Sam and MITA and Bobbie and Purps and everyone. Sounded like a cool event PJ. Happy birthday a bit late Dee.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:39 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday!

Busy day here.

Some cleaning and laundry and shopping. Oh my!

Hi Thirteenth! Pointless is never a word I would use to describe you posting here. Tell us how you are. We want to know ❤️

Well off to change the wash over and maybe watch a little TV.

Don’t drink. It’s dumb.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:56 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Glad you posted 13th...never pointless humaning.

I have worked out why this new phase of learning (art) has got me so riled.
Because of cognitive damage- booze, burns and significantly a huge amount of drugs in hospital- my instant memory recall is crap. I will forget keys - seconds after leaving them someplace...but by rote and routine and training myself am getting over this. Just like I had to learn to walk with grafts, or remember a 4 number pin, or homework in the recovery program.
My method is very direct...I just keep pushing until I get it. Unfortunately I do now have eureka moments- just eff off! moments.
I also need to remind myself that I am ok.

Good stuff Sam- I liked your reports of what tea you would have.....back a while.

Take care all and keep posting everyone. United we stand...
Old 07-28-2018, 04:39 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Bobbie 13th

D
Old 07-28-2018, 06:53 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

PJ - tonight it’s Passion Tea. Not as fun as it sounds. Lol. Kinda tastes like a sour gummy candy.....only without the sugar, and the candy and the gummy. So basically nothing like a sour gummy candy

Night all
Old 07-29-2018, 04:48 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I did not know Gummies were passionate.
My fav. today- strong, sweet tea with milk..that has been brewed with a piece of REAL crushed up vanilla bean.

Well I studies lots, and worked out that I can measure accurately- using my left eye with my right hand....took hours of trying different things...positions..utube experts....and I made progress.
Tomorrow is a time set aside for senior students to impart their wisdom on the newbies like me, so I will go and see what happens.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:18 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Sounds good PJ - progress ... baby steps even.

Slow day for me today - not feeling motivated to do much of anything. Maybe a trip to Best Buy to look for an HDMI wireless setup for one of my TV's that does not have a cable hookup.

Played some golf yesterday - by the time we were done the heat was pretty intense, so I think that's part of my low energy situation today. Decent game for me - the last 6 holes at 1-under par.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 07-29-2018, 11:39 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

MITA I recently switched over to no cable. Love it. Actually more choices and way less money!

I used to play golf. Didn't know you could choose the holes you wanted to count. Mighta' kept playing if I'd known that!!!