Notices

Class of January Support Thread 2018 Part 7

Old 09-27-2018, 12:15 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Hi all. Sorry I missed checking in yesterday. Full house of sick people in my neck of the woods. I am feeling quite under the weather. My toddler is still sick, but doesn't quite realize it. It is taking all of my energy and then some trying to keep up with her. I will try to get back later.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:44 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Morning all, I was up extra early today and I would have looooooved to keep sleeping...of course...sleep continues to be my favorite hobby! We have a busy weekend planned, but not as crazy as last weekend, which is good. I keep thinking I might do some baking, or make a "real" dinner (instead of the entire frozen section of TJs), but I'm just so unmotivated to cook in this house, surrounded by boxes literally everywhere.

I've been kind of irritable the past few evenings, which prompted me to think about walking on the trail...which I haven't done in weeks (our neighborhood is very hilly and I have done that, but it's not as relaxing or fun). The rain hasn't helped. So, if the rain continues, maybe I will finally figure out how to use the elliptical and other gym equipment here. Honestly, I have no excuse, it just needs to be done.

Chase, I'm so sorry your family is sick, that's just what you DON'T need right now! Hopefully, your wife is OK because sometimes these bugs hit pregnant women much harder. In any case, hopefully this will pass and you are able to sneak in a few naps, over-energetic child or not!

Numblady, Sunflower, NewChapter, Dee...have a great day! I was also thinking about BTLover, hoping he is doing well with his cute dogs wherever he may be. And of course, Scotty.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:45 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Palmer your observations about your job situation are really good. Smart stuff!

I知 just saying hi. I got up super early to do bike class. Then it痴 Home to feverishly pack, possibly do a stupid conference call for work, then drive to the beach. Did I mention already it痴 just me and the kids now? Wish me luck! Gonna need my strength. But happily we can get early check in at beach place so I知 planning on a nap when we make it!

More later.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:31 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Have fun, Numblady! I'm jealous in advance of your nap, hahaha...
Old 09-28-2018, 08:06 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Well turns out there was nothing to be jealous of in nap department! Took so darn long to get here with all the stops that we just settled in did a very quick beach trip then went to our friends’ place. Overall it’s good but we watched part of a scary movie so my kids were unusually terrified and then we came home to find EWWW not one but two giant roaches in the kitchen of the rental. So instead of sleeping a floor above in a nice little rest cocoon I’m down on the same floor as the kids so I can hear everything. All this after a lot of screaming and strum and drang in terms of just getting ready for bed. Well hopefully it will at least be a roach free sleeping experience. I already emailed the rental manager. Hoping they’ll do something if for no other reason than a panacea so we can hopefully get some dang sleep around here.

Talk to y’all soon!
Old 09-29-2018, 03:47 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Enjoy the beach NumbLady!
I知 traveling to dallas to see the cowboys game this weekend and I知 pretty excited. Hello to everyone. I値l check back in soon 😊
Old 09-29-2018, 06:40 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Hi friends.

Sorry I missed the check-in last night. I meant to, but took some Nyquil capsules and it knocked me right out. The sore throat is gone, so at least I can swallow again. Still feeling completely wiped out. Little time for rest as I have to take kid duty, so the pregnant and now sick wife can stay in bed. I know I will start to feel better in a couple days. The best news is I have over a week off from work. Enough of the pity party. I will get back later for a better check-in.

Have fun at the beach, Numblady.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:48 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Bedtime, finally. I am using the power of positive thinking to will myself to wake up feeling much better.

Sunflower, have a great time at the game. That new stadium sure looks nice. Hopefully they play well because Detroit has been playing surprising well.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:02 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Hi all, checking in late today. Chase, I'm so sorry that you're still not feeling well (and that your poor wife got taken down...ugh). I'm really hoping that your daughter is a fan of movies, so you can put one on and snooze/rest while she watches!

Numblady, that is SO BAD about the roaches, ewwww! Hopefully they did something to take care of it, and that you guys had a good day with your friends. How's the weather?

I had a pretty productive day, walking 4 miles of steep hills with my dogs, getting laundry done, shipping one of my kids off to a sleepover, organizing my clothes (it's hard to figure out what fits these days). More of the same tomorrow!
Old 09-29-2018, 07:35 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Hi gang. Kind of rough going here. Almost no sleep last night then it rained so much I had to basically drive my van like a boat and it almost got stuck. Afternoon turned out nice as did evening thanks to my friends. Hopefully kids will stay asleep longer tonight but I壇 better be getting on to sleep just in case. I will try to work on my gratitude and positivity as I need to model that. But right now I知 just tired!
Old 09-30-2018, 05:37 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Hi all! Well, it looks like it's going to be another beautiful day here (I'm starting to realize that most of my posts start out as a weather report, ha!) I spent most of yesterday doing housework, and of course I barely made a dent in it, but I should really focus more on socializing today. I haven't seen my parents in over a week, and even though my dad is recovering well, I really should check in on them a bit more often. I also need to deliver a thank-you gift to some friends, and I would prefer to do it in person.

Numblady, you have my sincere empathy about lack of sleep; I'm so sorry this is happening on your little weekend away. It's funny, because I feel like I can handle almost anything these days (hopefully I didn't just dare the universe to throw me another little curveball), but I NEED my sleep in order to do it. And I'm totally ok with selfishly insisting on it no matter what! So if you're going home today, I sincerely hope you hand over your kids to your husband and go to bed. Just tell him your random anonymous internet friend gave you permission.

Hi to Chase, Dee, NewChapter, Sunflower, and anyone else lurking out there! Have a good day, guys.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:19 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Hi All!

Apologies for my radio silence the past few days - as I had anticipated, it was a whirlwind end to a hectic week! Next week will unfortunately be a continuation of same, but I hope to be able to find at least a few moments here and there to pop in and read/post throughout the week, even just as a drive by!

Thank you all so much for your lovely messages re: Thursday's talk. Thankfully all went well and it looks like it has had the intended effect of generating some potential business or at the very least a positive buzz. Here's hoping!

@Palmer: I'm right there with you insofar as our little class and SR constituting my entire sobriety support/program. You are right that we must check ourselves to ensure we don't fall into complacency and try to make it more of a priority to check in as it really can be a matter of sobriety vs falling off the wagon, before we even know it. Way to go on 20 lbs! That is an absolutely incredible achievement, you should be so proud! I also love hearing that you are achieving this in a healthy, balanced way which will be much more sustainable and so much better for your mental and physical health. Well done on your productive weekend - sounds like you really are killing it on all fronts. The work stuff is tricky - I made a huge change last year, leaving a good job (and the offer of a great promotion) to start out on my own, which has since become a little of me working on my own business and also working with my husband on his business as he had just lost a key member of staff and my skill set just so happened to be a perfect fit. A year and a bit on, I am still questioning so much daily - did I make the right decision, should I have left my job, is my business going to succeed, will my husband's business survive/thrive through the tough patches? Did i make the right decision turning down the Masters this year? I feel as though these things are on a constant loop and every day - even by the hour - my thoughts and conclusions around each of those question changes. It's a mental rollercoaster! It sounds to me as though your ruminations follow a similar cycle - and I think the truth is that we can never really know. The professional/career stuff is ALWAYS a gamble - one choice over another, the path not taken, timing, fulfilment etc. I think the best we can do is do what feels right at any given moment, move forward, learn from the outcome (whether good or bad) - and then the hardest part: just let it go. What has been done can't be changed, and although hindsight can make us beat ourselves up with 'what ifs', those 'what ifs' aren't necessary what would have been, so the truth is we can never know, only deal with what's in front of us, and try to listen to our gut, read our situation, and act as we feel appropriate to the best of our ability. As you say, maybe the fire, the health issues in your family, these challenges could be a sign that maybe right now career is OK to be on the back burner for now and not to push yourself to hard in that arena just now.

@Numblady: Your account of the drinking content of the show you went to and the observation of that poor lady who had taken too much to drink really spoke to me. It tugged at a part of me that just made me feel sad - sad for the pervasive drinking culture, sad for how I used to be one of those people idolising alcohol, subscribing to the comedy of 'trendy' alcohol dependence, and sad for that lady and all those like her (as I'm sure I have been on those occasions in the past, also - ruining what could have and should have been a lovely evening, waking up the next day feeling ill, embarrassed and anxious). It makes me so grateful for our sobriety and how much life has changed for the better. I am so sorry about the roach/no sleep/sailing your van experiences!! So glad things have taken a better turn - I hope you get a lovely long, peaceful night's sleep!

@Chase: Sorry to hear you're really in the thick of it with sickness in your household - I hope your wife and little girl feel better soon, and that you start to also feel stronger/more energy soon! Take care of yourself!

@Sunflower: That sounds so awesome! Enjoy Dallas/the game!

@Dee: Thanks for your posts! Yes, I have gone through some tough times in terms of feeling down in the past. I do not suffer with depression, but i most definitely acknowledge that I do seem to be prone to cyclical periods of low mood from time to time, which i seem to just need to keep mindful of and try to ride them out. Thankfully you guys here have all been such a huge support that I haven't had to turn to alcohol to try and deal with those feelings, as I would have in times past.

Hope everyone else out there doing well. Take care, all!
Old 09-30-2018, 05:58 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Hi all.

Nearly bed time, and that is definitely something for which to be truly grateful.

Numblady, sorry about the letdown over weekend. Hopefully you had a little bit of fun at times. Also hope you made it home safely and got some needed rest.

Palmer, I second Newchapter's congratulations on losing 20 pounds. That is amazing. The fact that you did it over time, without crash dieting means you are much healthier and much more likely to keep that weight off.

Newchapter, way to go on the successful speech. I too left a good job about 4 years ago. I was fairly high up in the hierarchy of that company. The problem was I hated the company and the bosses I worked under. I left for another company doing the same job, but I had to start over at the bottom. I have been able to work my way back up quickly, and more importantly, don't hate this company. I do still have plenty of what if moments, though. I love what you said about what ifs not necessarily being what would have actually happened.

Anyways, speaking of work, I recently found out that I am getting a pretty big promotion. I will be doing the same job but in more of a supervisory role. The transition will require about a month of training, which will start in December. It does include a nice raise.

Starting to feel a little better. I got some exercise today, which was hard but good. The wife is starting to feel a bit better, too.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:46 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Hi all. Gonna be another quick hello (sorry). We got a really good night of sleep last night. Had a nice morning with friends, stopping for more candy (I actually think I spent more on candy than I would have spent on booze, and I am totally okay with it), then fresh seafood and hitting the road. Kids did really well overall but now I”m just beat and want to hit the sack early to be ready for the chaos that is my work day.

Palmer love the upbeat sound to your post! I mean, not that I don’t love them regardless. Just that you yourself sound happy and that makes me happy!

NC, super impressive catch up. I echo Chase in really liking what you said about the what if not necessarily being that what would have been.

Chase, well for as much as you travel and work it seems fitting you’d move on up the ranks! Glad you’ve reaped what you’ve sown here.

Good night. I miss spending more time in here. But not in the cards at the moment. Have a great night/Monday! Hoping to check in tomorrow am and if not then, tomorrow pm.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:59 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Hi Class!

Morning here. Though another busy week beckons, I will be making it my business to post every day, if just for a drive by, as @Palmer's post re: getting complacent and this being our only form of 'program' really resonated. I am feeling good about my sobriety insofar as I have had no more of those pesky cravings/fleeting rose tinted ruminations over the past few weeks, however I know better than to get comfortable as that is precisely when our dear friend the AV just loves to swoop in.

@Chase: I really admire your gumption and the immense courage/self respect it must have undoubtedly taken to make that move away from such a high ranking position, to free yourself from a toxic/unfulfilling environment. I am so delighted to hear that it is now paying dividends and you are clearly earning the acknowledgment and reward you deserve for the immense work load and crazy travelling schedule! will the new promotion mean less travel for you given that it is a more supervisory role? Happy to hear that you are feeling better and up to exercise, however shakily, and that your wife is starting to turn a corner also!

@Numblady: I'm allllll about the candy - haha! I'd take a sugar crash over a hangover any day. Best of luck with your crazy work week - have you started training in your deputy yet? When do you think she'll be able to help alleviate the load a little?

Hi to everyone else out there - wishing everyone a productive and cheery week ahead!
Old 10-01-2018, 07:49 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Hey all! Checking in a little later than I intended this morning, I had a whirlwind of chaos at home (which is normal) and then walked right into a meeting when I got to work (also normal!). As far as checking in with a meaningful post every day, hopefully that didn't come across as, I think everyone should do it...I just know myself and how slippery my slope can become on MANY things if I'm not vigilant. I'm already thinking far ahead into my weight loss process, asking myself every day, "can you keep up these habits forever?" One thing I've noticed is how much easier it is to maintain better habits when I'm not drunk or hungover...duh, who would have guessed that?

NewChapter, thank you so much for the insightful words about work. For some reason, the thing that caught me the most was your comment that once something is done, it can't be changed. So simple, but really, what will regret change? And as you and everyone else has said, there is no guarantee that the road not taken would have worked out as we expected, anyway. Everyone's posts have further reinforced my belief that I need to simply bide my time until the right thing comes along, and in the meantime, take advantage of the fact that I don't have to stress myself out constantly.

My husband and I went out to a nice dinner last night, and for the second time in a month we were able to just relax, talk, and enjoy the food. It's nice to talk about all the restaurants in our town and plan where to go next. While drinking, I would have done anything to remain home and stay in my sad little bubble until it was time to go to bed, or ruminate about the past and just spend my time feeling stuck. These days, I am much more future and action-oriented than I've been in years, which is super energizing even as I lament my ability to nap sufficiently.

Chase, I hope you're feeling better and Numblady, I'm glad your trip involved some better sleep and tons of candy!
Old 10-01-2018, 09:38 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Hi @Palmer,

I hope the rest of your day balances a little and the pace slows after the whirlwind morning you've had! It's so great that you are already being proactive in planning ahead for continued success on your healthy weight loss/maintenance journey. Definitely something that would be near impossible to sustain if alcohol was still in the picture! I'm happy to hear that you are finding some peace with the work stuff and allowing yourself to just be for now - I think that sounds wise given how much you have going on right now! Your date night sounds just lovely and I totally second your sentiments about being excited to go out and explore new restaurants, enjoy date night etc. in our new sober frame of mind.

Oh! And as for your comment about posting, it absolutely didn't come across like that, I was just trying to say that I'm really grateful you mentioned your personal plan to stay vigilant as it really resonated with me and gave me a little boost to stay on top of my 'program' (ie reading & posting here!) too! :-)
Old 10-01-2018, 06:04 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Palmer, once again I must second what Newchapter said in regards to your comment about posting. I took it as positive and true. I know that it can be so easy to get lackadaisical in posting and how my sobriety, and overall attitude can suffer. Sometimes it takes someone else to lead by example in order to come to a realization like this.

Numblady, a nice visit to the candy shop sounds fantastic. I don't have a big sweet tooth but have noticed a significant increase in sugar cravings since quitting alcohol. Like Newchapter said, give me just about anything over a raging hangover.

Newchapter, good luck with heavy work week. How much easier is it to deal with without having to worry about drinking? I know my life is better in just about every way.

Time to get a toddler to bed.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:38 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Hi Palmer, I do think your post about not getting complacent in here or out there is important. I have always been somewhat sporadic (soooo long and rambly some days and whizzing right by on others) but I didn’t think you were saying others needed to do anything other than what they’ve been doing. Which varies quite a bit. I like having this space to come home to. Love what you said about your date night too. It does feel like a new world is unlocked, though sometimes less so with a hard drinking spouse. But I mean, I signed up for a citrus tree growing class last weekend. Granted I missed it b/c of the whole beach trip thing but still. I never would have done that drinking. Other than possibly to prove drinking wasn’t holding me back. Not in a genuine motivation way. It really is a wonderful thing to experience.

NC, hope the busy week isn’t too terribly busy. I think you asked about when deputy starts. Or maybe Palmer. or Chase. Basically I have no idea . Anyhow she started today! She will be splitting time between old and new jobs for a while but we are making progress!

Chase, I also never had a sweet tooth either. Got all my sugar through my wine glass and dessert just gave me a headache. Funny how my focus was on how sweets gave me the headache. Um, duh. Could also have been the bottle(s) of wine but that was never where my brain went.

Sunflower did you also just travel? If so I hope it went well.

Good night beautiful friends! I am so glad you are here. But also missing some of the old group, especially Scotty.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:16 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Hi Class,

The busy week is underway, but thankfully things are moving efficiently and productively thus far. I had a meeting with the bank this morning that I hope went well (please send some positive vibes this way!). One of my clients has cancelled again, though, which will make it the second time in a row, which is a bit of a bummer. I did shave 30s off my 5k time last night and as hubby had a late tennis match, when I got home, I lit some candles and got to just chill out and enjoy some 'me time' (i.e. watch American Horror Story on Netflix, which hubby hates, LOL!), which was lovely, and very much appreciated after a long day!

@Chase: You are so right about how much better life is alcohol free - even when times are challenging or busy, I am SO grateful that I have the advantage of not having to deal with hangovers or any of the other negative burdens that come with drinking!

@Numblady: Woohoo!! So happy that you are FINALLY getting your deputy - I hope that the transition is smooth and quick so that she can start to release the pressure on you ASAP. So funny re: the candy 'headaches' comment - isn't it crazy how delusional our thinking could be when drinking? the AV is nothing if not darkly whimsical and a master manipulator, that's for sure. I also miss our old classmates, I think about them from time to time and hope everyone is doing well.