Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 61

Old 07-27-2018, 01:50 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Even the worst day sober is better than a drunk day Red, and you got through this one.

I was enjoying a day around the pool at a nearby hotel today with my wonderful ply understanding and supportive hubby, and our grandson. As we ate lunch at the outdoor bar, an older woman (perhaps in her 60s) staggered past us toward the sunloungers by the pool. She was in a dreadful state, I actually wondered if she had Parkinson’s or something, apparently no. She was drunk. Very badly drunk. It was 2pm and she had been dropped off by a car who occupants didn’t hang around. She is known for it, and the barman had to call the local guarda to come for her as she was a danger to herself. It was so sad, but I had such a ‘there but for the grace....’ moment as I grabbed hubbys hand. I wanted to do something for her, up there would have been no getting through to her in that state. It was beyond sad to see a fellow human being so degraded.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:49 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Thanks Badger! now I know what you mean

Sending you support Red, some days really suck. The good thing is they don’t last forever. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you

Toots that could so easily have been any of us, thank goodness for SR and the support to stay strong ... ❤️
Old 07-27-2018, 11:55 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I think what made it worse for me was it was a woman on her own. And I think that tragically it will become more common as the current female drinkers begin to age. I have nieces both in their 40’s, still very much in ‘party’ mode. Their fb posts are all about drinking. I know I was in my 49th year when I chose to deal with my drinking, but already by then I was wary of drinking too much in public, I dreaded losing control. I hid my drinking behind closed doors. It was easy to hide from rommhubby too as he works away from home on most contracts.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:46 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Living the life

Redcarded congrats on getting through a difficult day. It is so worth it, even if it doesn't feel that way in the moment.

Thanks for sharing about the poolside woman, Toots. AV (abetted by popular media) so often tries to convince us that it will be fun to drink, but too often it is just sad. Even when it starts out fun it never stays that way, and eventually it is quite rare to drink and not have regrets afterwards. My only regret now is that I didn't quit sooner. I'm so glad I realized it is never too late.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:27 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

day 54 completed

feeling better today - thank you for the kind support :-)

I recall a conversation with nurse - she said over half of the people who came to accident and emergency center at the hospital where she worked, were drunk (or had been drinking)

...slicing their toes off mowing lawns, scalding or burning themselves with hot oil (cooking accidents), falling down stairs, banging their heads so they bled or were knocked out etc.

another good reason to quit - less chance of sawing your own legs off when fixing a table

anyway - well done if you lasted another day :-)
Old 07-29-2018, 08:20 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

day 55 completed

sleeping with a wrist splint (helping my wrist to heal nicely)

nothing much going on - just a lazy Sunday

it's weird, but I really miss the vivid informative dreams of acute detox - I was back to my motorbike days on wild adventures, learning the truth behind historical enigmatic behaviours of family and friends, finding secret rooms in places I used to live - it was amazing, and realer than real

the awake part of acute detox was not so good though

Old 07-29-2018, 08:42 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

recardid, you're doing great! I just went for a nice walk with my dog, Luke and my mom. Feeling fantastic to wake sober and hangover free.

I hope everyone is well. Just wanted to say hi. It seems like I never have anything interesting to say, but I love reading the posts and they help. Have a great rest of the weekend!
Old 07-29-2018, 09:57 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

So many of societies problems are drink or drug related, and increasingly, also down to mental illness not being dealt with sympathetically. Such a shame that as a society, we cannot help those obviously so in need. I know when my drinking spiralled I was too ashamed to speak to anyone about it before I came here and met others who understood me and who also felt the same guilt and shame. I hope you are all able to let go those negative emotions the way I have over time. The on.y thing that truly matters is how we live going forward.
Red, I have vivid dreams all the time, always have.

Aly, when is your surgery? Let us know so that we can send positive thoughts your way x
Old 07-29-2018, 10:11 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Surgery is scheduled for Aug. 31st. I'm going to see my surgeon next week so I'll find out more information. They kind of leave you in the dark sometimes. I just have to remember to ask how long I'll be in, etc.
Thank you toots for thinking of me and for the good thoughts. I deeply appreciate it.
Love, Aly ♥♥♥
Old 07-30-2018, 10:11 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

day 56 completed - a bit more focused today

what kind of surgery Alysheba - good surgery or bad Surgery?

I have always wanted to have longer legs

Old 07-30-2018, 10:15 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I have a hernia I need to have repaired. I've had it done before and it wasn't too badly at all. So, I'm hoping for an easy time, this time too!

Thank you for asking.

Congrats on your sobriety. I know how much it means. You're doing great.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:59 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Haha I wouldn’t mind longer legs either Red

Aly I’m glad it’s not too major surgery but any surgery can be scary to face and we’ll be sending you lots of love and support for it go smoothly and you having a speedy recovery ❤️

I’m off to work, had a few triggers over the weekend but I think the AV is getting easier to flick off, just raise my eyebrows and go “really? Don’t be so ridiculous, a drink is a stupid idea”
Stay strong everyone x
Old 07-30-2018, 02:14 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Thank you, Willow.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:21 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

quick hello to all

Red you are doing awesome!!

a friend of mine had to have both legs amputated below the knee for medical reasons, (diabetis is think) she had them add an inch so she would be taller!

badge
Old 07-31-2018, 01:08 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I’d like to be 7’6”.... then I would be the right height for my weight!

Good going Red

Willow it’s great when you are at that point where you can recognise your AV as a seperate entity and remove the addiction from your emotional and psychological response. The more often we say no to that voice, the easier it gets, both to seperate from it and to say no!
Old 07-31-2018, 11:28 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

day 57 completed - hanging on somehow

I'm in a daze - I know it will come to an end, and I will regain vitality, but it is wearing that it has lasted so long

I was a heavy drinker - so there is a lot to recover from and repair

no matter how bad things are - I'm still a million times better off than when I as drinking (I'm working on joy and happiness - but one step at a time)

sorry about the hernia - sounds horrible - best wishes

anyway well done if you lasted another day :-)
Old 07-31-2018, 02:27 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

Lol that made me laugh Toots, and Badger, thank you

I hope you’re feeling better soon Red. My mood swings have been pretty nuts, I’ve read a few posts about paws which were really helpful to understand what happens during recovery, it’s made it easier for me to accept the sometimes debilitating physical and mental lows....

I’ve been treating myself to rewards to keep me motivated about staying sober and give me something to look forward to when I’m feeling like crap. So far I’ve been to the hairdresser, then a nail salon. I also bought myself the DVD set of Big little lies but haven’t watched it yet (I rarely watch tv)

I’m on day 80 today and I just worked out that I’ve saved over $1000 since I stopped drinking 12 bottles of wine a week!!!! How on earth did I afford to drink???? I missed out on other things and scrimped and saved to buy more wine.... So I’m planning some kind of lovely treat for myself when I reach 90 days. I’m not sure what yet but I think I deserve a treat

Sending love and support to you all
Old 08-01-2018, 04:31 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Willow, you are doing all the right things to continue to motivate yourself to remain sober. And yes! PAWS was what went through my head at Reds post.

Red, my class started commenting of differing negative feelings around the 3 month mark, it took a while for us to twig we were going through PAWS. It is tough, I had to explain the whole thing to hubby so he didn’t divorce his usually Pollyanna wife! But being able to put a name to my feelings and understand what was behind them actually helped me immensely to deal with the situation.

I also did a study on the website Coursera, called ‘the addicted brain’ free access to the course which is brim full of fascinating facts about how the brain develops a chemical dependency on drugs (including alcohol, caffeine and nicotine) and actually alters the way the brain functions. It’s no wonder after 30+ years of abuse, it takes a while to adjust to how it is supposed to function.

A side bar - because of going onto Coursera to study ‘the addicted brain’ I also found myself accessing other (all free) courses on there for my personal edification!
Old 08-01-2018, 04:40 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

The last time I made it to a year I went on have over 10 years of sobriety.

Currently I'm at just over 10 weeks alcohol free.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:07 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

day 57 completed

feeling better - stopped using local anaesthetic (diethylamine salicylate) on my sprained/carpal-tunnel-syndrome wrist

at least half of my misery was adverse side effects to the medication!!

wow - you don't half become sensitive to medications, and processed food additives during recovery (at least I seem to)

@tootsl1 - thanks for the info - I'll look at the course (says 6 videos and 5 readings - so not huge)

it's a relief to feel at peace

@BP2 - may I ask? what triggered you to drink after 10 years?

@Willow68 - PAWS - looked it up - says lasts about 2 years (with decreasing severity of episodes) - they should teach this stuff in schools and kids would be running away from booze