Notices

The Food Addiction Thread/Support Pt 2

Old 06-18-2018, 04:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

The Food Addiction Thread/Support Pt 2

Continues from here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...upport-22.html (Food Addiction- 24 Hour Thread/Support)

D
Old 06-18-2018, 04:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I changed the title slightly to avoid people from the 24 thread mistakenly posting in here

D
Old 06-18-2018, 05:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have been whining for quite a while, so it's a pleasure to tell you that it was a good day....food-wise, life-wise.....and it is not a coincidence. Of course....making sure I eat, and planning the meals in advance means an easy way to do food without obsessing so much about it (which I do, constantly)....I can let it go. Just make the meals at meal times and done. Well, it worked today.

Goodnight Sunny and everyone who posts here.
Much love. s ♥
Old 06-18-2018, 10:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the new thread Dee,

Yesterday was a good day...salad for lunch and then the gym and a swim on the way home from work, then a good dinner. It wasn’t perfect as regards sugar...I ate a few chocolate biscuits at work during a meeting...but it was much better than it could have been.

I’m aiming for progress not perfection. I think if I adopt this approach then I’m far less likely to become obsessive about what I eat, and then binge if I ever veer away from what I’m allowed. Unlike alcohol and smoking, I think there could be a middle way for me.

Exercise is key for me...my job is stressful and I need a way to counterbalance that. Stopping the sugar binges and exercising regularly does just that.

Have a good day everyone! Xx
Old 06-18-2018, 10:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Checking in for another day of nurturing eating.

I also find exercise is key. I am enjoying my gentle, loving exercise routine.

Living with and being caregiver for my AH is frustrating at times, my exercise helps enormously. I notice improvements in my strength and movement. I am developing a grace in my moving.

Enjoying my safe 1500 calories a day.

AH has had a couple of falls in last few days, I notice my calmness in dealing with them. Also in interacting with some organisations that used to set my blood boiling. I feel in balance. This is completely due to my safe eating.

Onwards.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Morning, all.

Thank you for a new thread, Dee.

Even a day of clean eating can make a huge difference - I woke up in much better mood and bloating is almost gone.

Looking forward to going to the dentist today (yes, you heard it right) so I can enjoy eating crunchy veggies and fruit again.

See you.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, I would like to join the thread if I may.
Carbs are the culprit for me for most of my live and I'm struggling to change it.
So today is a new dawn and I'm checking in for 24 hours of LCHF.

Like you Jeni, my alcohol and nicotine sobriety is in a good place but sugar/carb addiction is another matter

Wishing everyone a good and healthy day X
Old 06-19-2018, 04:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee
I knew we'd make it to a "part 2"
Old 06-19-2018, 04:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone.
Not feeling so chipper- I slept in until almost 6 and my toddler woke up as soon as I came downstairs. I do not do well if I don't have at least an hour of peace and to myself in the mornings. Plus I'm hungover from carbs and feeling really bummed about doing this candida cleanse.

1)I know the cleanse is for me- everything I have read about it reaffirms my need to do it.

2) It's very hard to do as a vegetarian on keto- no dairy (some say fermented is okay and others don't), no legumes (I use a pea protein powder every day and I enjoy tofu and tempeh, lupini beans as well).

3) You shouldn't be feeding the candida while doing the cleanse and that's what I've done at least a few times since starting a week ago.

I'm not sure what to do. I don't know how to restrict what I eat even further without causing issues. I could switch the protein powder to an egg based one but I'm not sure how to get protein without eating endless eggs and seeds which I also don't want to do (I can handle 2 eggs a day but after that I start to detest them). Feeling a little lost here.

On top of that I am having a very hard time now that my toddler isn't in preschool for the summer. I got used to those 3-5 hour, three days a week and now he's home with me every second of the day. I don't have the patience for it. As an empath I feel smothered around others if I don't get my space and right now he's not giving it to me. I want to take him to the gym daycare today but he is already crying about how he doesn't want me to leave. I am still going to try it, knowing he is going to cry. I feel like everything is just so hard right now. I need something to be easier than this...
Old 06-19-2018, 04:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I learned about this in my course yesterday....protein sources...I will have a look if there is anything else you can eat, although you know way more about this than me at this stage. That's hard.....I'm sorry.

I was thinking bout a solution for the gym daycare. It's not perfect, but maybe...what about taking him and staying a few more times....I know it defeats the purpose re time for yourself, but he may get used to it and be happier for you to leave after a couple of times? Just a thought honey.

SO much love
Old 06-19-2018, 04:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Greetings all...Sunflower I also do not eat meat and try to find decent sources of protein but then I read we don't really need as much protein as we think. I was not able to make it through the weekend again without binge eating. I get so discouraged. I'll try to keep more active in this thread to help. Planning is important for me. Day two and trying......
Old 06-19-2018, 05:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It is so so good to have people who care and understand though, isn't it Bethany?
Being alone with this for years was so hard for me.....I honestly never thought I would discuss this with anyone....please don't be discouraged.....you are amongst friends who hear you.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I learned about this in my course yesterday....protein sources...I will have a look if there is anything else you can eat, although you know way more about this than me at this stage. That's hard.....I'm sorry.

I was thinking bout a solution for the gym daycare. It's not perfect, but maybe...what about taking him and staying a few more times....I know it defeats the purpose re time for yourself, but he may get used to it and be happier for you to leave after a couple of times? Just a thought honey.

SO much love
Thanks Suze- I have done all the research and read through a book last night- my protein options are pretty limited although I am thinking that pea protein may be okay since it is stripped of the sugars (only the protein is left.) I can also increase my hemp seed consumption. The problem is the information is all over the place- some say fermented soy is okay and others say to avoid all legumes. So I'm really just confused!

I know what you mean about staying a few more times but then I feel like he gets more used to having me there- most parents don't even stay with their kids the first time! I think he is just nervous about the separation. I mean he loved his preschool but still cried at drop off a year after he started. He just gets anxious.
I am not going into today expecting a work out- they will come get me if he cries for more than 10 minutes but I'm hoping that's not the case. He's almost 4! I would expect that at 18 months or 2 and a half. Not at his age. But then again, both of my boys are sensitive- I mean look at who they have as a mommy...
Old 06-19-2018, 05:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The most important thing I learned yesterday, well, one of them is that there is no right diet for everyone.....and no matter what your keto diet tells you to do, you are the one best situated to know what YOUR body needs. Even if some say no to legumes, perhaps you need them love.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bethany57 View Post
Greetings all...Sunflower I also do not eat meat and try to find decent sources of protein but then I read we don't really need as much protein as we think. I was not able to make it through the weekend again without binge eating. I get so discouraged. I'll try to keep more active in this thread to help. Planning is important for me. Day two and trying......
Hi Bethany!! Please don't get discouraged- if I've learned anything it's that this is a process and a journey, and every little step counts. I am learning not to beat myself up over the falls but instead lift myslf up over the small victories (like binging for an hour vs. all day.)Day 2 is great! and planning is really helpful for me too.

As for the protein, I lift 5 days a week so my needs are a bit higher but I totally agree with you that we don't need as much as we think. I am fine when doing vegetarian keto but taking the dairy our makes it a bit harder. I just re-read the part in the book "The Candida Cure" and it says legumes are okay 1-2 times per week. So that makes me feel better

Have an awesome day! Time to drop my oldest off at camp.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
The most important thing I learned yesterday, well, one of them is that there is no right diet for everyone.....and no matter what your keto diet tells you to do, you are the one best situated to know what YOUR body needs. Even if some say no to legumes, perhaps you need them love.
The issue is the candida, not keto. I am already an anomaly in the keto world as most are omnivores and most would say no legumes or soy anyway!

I truly believe I have a candida overgrowth which is part of the reason I have these cravings for sugar and bread. and the only way to cure it is to stop feeling it while taking certain herbs. So on the cleanse/diet you are supposed to avoid eating the foods that feed the bacteria. I know I will find the solution to this. It’s just going to take a bit more research and some intuition which never fails me

Xoxo
Old 06-19-2018, 06:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
waking down

Sunflowerlife, I like the Buddha quote.

I'm with y'all in the sugar/carb addiction thing. Got back from vacation yesterday and it's time to reset the foodometer after pizza and cake and candy... Today it's eggs and salad... a little fruit. I need to even reduce the fruit. Doc app't next week to check blood. We'll see how I'm doing these days.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
Sunflowerlife, I like the Buddha quote.

I'm with y'all in the sugar/carb addiction thing. Got back from vacation yesterday and it's time to reset the foodometer after pizza and cake and candy... Today it's eggs and salad... a little fruit. I need to even reduce the fruit. Doc app't next week to check blood. We'll see how I'm doing these days.
Hi Zerothehero!! Thank you, Buddha quotes are are my favorites, I also like Rumi

Vacations are definitely challenging! I hope you had a good time at least. Have a great day and good luck with the changes- Good for you for getting bloodwork done. I also need to schedule that asasp!

Nice to have you on the thread
Old 06-19-2018, 07:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
The issue is the candida, not keto. I am already an anomaly in the keto world as most are omnivores and most would say no legumes or soy anyway!

I truly believe I have a candida overgrowth which is part of the reason I have these cravings for sugar and bread. and the only way to cure it is to stop feeling it while taking certain herbs. So on the cleanse/diet you are supposed to avoid eating the foods that feed the bacteria. I know I will find the solution to this. It’s just going to take a bit more research and some intuition which never fails me

Xoxo
I know all about candida.....and all of the foods to eliminate to do the cleanse...just telling you so you know..... And I am all for it....it is a wonderful thing for ALL women to do on a regular or semi-regular basis.