Notices

The Food Addiction Thread/Support Pt 2

Old 06-22-2018, 03:13 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Day five for me but weekend in approaching and that is my downfall. I am going to plan out all what I eat and try and stick to it. I will try the self hypnosis download too....can't hurt! Thanks all and have a wonderful day.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:01 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bethany57 View Post
Day five for me but weekend in approaching and that is my downfall. I am going to plan out all what I eat and try and stick to it. I will try the self hypnosis download too....can't hurt! Thanks all and have a wonderful day.
Yes weekends can be a challenge! Other than the food can you plan activities to keep you busy and away from your triggers? Like for me staying home means passing the kitchen forty times in a day. So I would plan errands and stuff to keep me out of the house!

If you do try the hypnosis, you can listen at night when you get in bed. Amazon has these sleep earphones called “Cozyphones” that are more comfortable to lie on than regular ones. Let me know if you end up trying it!!

And congrats on 4 solid days!!
Old 06-22-2018, 06:08 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I am sitting in my car in the gym parking lot, just breathing and trying not to stress out. I left Evan for the first time with ththe gym childcare. Only going to stay for 15 minutes this time and hoping I can actually leave him and work out tomorrow morning. This stinks. Both of my boys are so sensitive. I know other moms who can drop their almost 4 year olds off and they just wave and say goodbye. Mine has anxiety leading up to it and then full blown tears until I leave and I have no idea if he’s calmed down by now. I just wish things like these were easier but I’m working on accepting them for what they are.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:42 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

So much love Sunny....this is hard....give yourself a pat on the back....you got him in there.....one day at a time I am hoping he will be less stressed having to leave you.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:10 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Sunflower, I’m really interested in those downloads, I’m going to look into them.
Well done Bethany

And try not to stress about leaving your little one, kids are more resilient than we think, and by leaving him for little periods of time somewhere safe, he will gradually learn that it’s all ok,and that you will always come back xx
Old 06-22-2018, 03:09 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Carbophobia

Very briefly: overweight, diabetic, 57 year old male. Gave up sugar and taters and noodles and most grains two months ago. A1C dropped from 11.7 to 7.2, and I've lost 20 pounds. So, yay!

I'm still counting carbs in the good, healthy vegetables, but adding more of them lately just because they "feel" right. I toast a small slice of sprouted grain bread a couple of times a week, don't want that to be a daily thing, even though it doesn't trigger me to binge.

My biggest question: do I have to be afraid of steel cut oatmeal for the rest of my life?! It seems so darned healthy, and my cholesterol could use the help, since I live mostly on meat and eggs and cheese, with sides of veggies. I never sweetened it, prefer it savory with cheese and garlic powder and butter...but that carb count! I'm not at all tired of my eggs/bacon or eggs/sausage breakfast, I just feel like I might be missing some health benefits of rough, cooked grains in the morning...

Sugar and potatoes and pasta are over with, they all jack my glucose and lead to bingeing...but I always thought Wilford Brimley seemed so earnest and kind when he was hawking Quaker Oats as "the right thing to do, and the easy way to do it." See, advertisers, I was listening, and trusted him!

Oh well, I'll go gnaw on a pork steak now...just curious...

Thanks,
Arp
Old 06-22-2018, 03:58 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Arp....why not check your blood glucose level (you have monitor right?) after you eat the oats? When I eat something I think may spike my blood sugar I check it an hour and then two hours after I have eaten it. Way to go reducing you AIC in two months!!!That is amazing!
Old 06-22-2018, 04:53 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Really gratifying results there, Arpeggioh - well done.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:16 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arpeggioh View Post
Very briefly: overweight, diabetic, 57 year old male. Gave up sugar and taters and noodles and most grains two months ago. A1C dropped from 11.7 to 7.2, and I've lost 20 pounds. So, yay!

I'm still counting carbs in the good, healthy vegetables, but adding more of them lately just because they "feel" right. I toast a small slice of sprouted grain bread a couple of times a week, don't want that to be a daily thing, even though it doesn't trigger me to binge.

My biggest question: do I have to be afraid of steel cut oatmeal for the rest of my life?! It seems so darned healthy, and my cholesterol could use the help, since I live mostly on meat and eggs and cheese, with sides of veggies. I never sweetened it, prefer it savory with cheese and garlic powder and butter...but that carb count! I'm not at all tired of my eggs/bacon or eggs/sausage breakfast, I just feel like I might be missing some health benefits of rough, cooked grains in the morning...

Sugar and potatoes and pasta are over with, they all jack my glucose and lead to bingeing...but I always thought Wilford Brimley seemed so earnest and kind when he was hawking Quaker Oats as "the right thing to do, and the easy way to do it." See, advertisers, I was listening, and trusted him!

Oh well, I'll go gnaw on a pork steak now...just curious...

Thanks,
Arp
How awesome on the bloodwork Arp! I bet you were so ecstatic to get that news from your doctor.

It's a tough question, about the oatmeal. I think testing your BS is a great way to start, like Bethany suggested. Also, I believe it's the soluble fiber in oatmeal that is supposed to help lower cholesterol. If you find that oatmeal doesn't work for your body, you could perhaps find another source of soluble fiber? I started taking a prebiotic fiber powder which contains it (kind of like an alternative to psyllium husk.) Maybe you could look into something like that or ask your doctor what he/she thinks about it?

Either way, you are doing great. Rock on my friend!
Old 06-22-2018, 05:21 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

8:16 pm

Well that's 2 amazing days in a row. I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Like this is all a dream.

1) I got to hang out with 2 friends in 2 days, one who I have known for almost 30 years.
2) I haven't had a single craving to binge or even eat a trigger food since my binge on Wednesday (that's 2 whole days)
3) My husband and oldest are away for the entire weekend and I am actually really happy to have this space to share with Evan, our toddler- we are getting along quite well today!

I am not hungry. Food hasn't been on my mind all day probably because I have been occupied from 6 am until right now. I'm not saying I didn't eat, because I did. But I feel like I am in someone else's body- like the me who obsesses about food isn't the me sitting here on the couch. Could it be the hypnosis? Is it just a strange fluke? I know this feeling is going to fade and that I will have the urge to binge again. But damn it, I'm going to ride this wave as long as I can.

Going to watch some tv or maybe a movie tonight.
Lots of love to all of you guys- I'll check in, in the morning.
Oh, Evan did great at the gym childcare- he was smiling and playing when I went back in. Going to leave him and do a full workout tomorrow morning!
Old 06-22-2018, 05:26 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Sunflower, I’m really interested in those downloads, I’m going to look into them.
Well done Bethany

And try not to stress about leaving your little one, kids are more resilient than we think, and by leaving him for little periods of time somewhere safe, he will gradually learn that it’s all ok,and that you will always come back xx
Thanks Jeni- let me know if you try out the hypnosis- I am a true believer and have been using hypnosis tracks for about 6 years now for various issues! The trick is consistency. Most say to listen for 3 weeks straight but this one only says 7 days and then whenever you feel like it after that. 7 days is a small commitment in my book! I hope it can help you.

Thanks for the support with Evan- you'd think I'd never left him before but he's been in daycare/preschool since he was 18 months old! He just can't get over the separation anxiety. Once I'm gone he's okay. Still, it's really hard seeing him cry like that every time I leave. My sensitive boy- just like Mommy I suppose!
Old 06-22-2018, 05:27 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
So much love Sunny....this is hard....give yourself a pat on the back....you got him in there.....one day at a time I am hoping he will be less stressed having to leave you.
I am proud of myself for doing it! It was hard for both of us I suppose.
I hope you had a good day- I have been thinking about you!
Old 06-23-2018, 02:19 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arpeggioh View Post

My biggest question: do I have to be afraid of steel cut oatmeal for the rest of my life?! It seems so darned healthy,

Thanks,
Arp

Wow ,...that's some great results you're getting Arp !?!

I could never blame the big food and sugar water companies for convincing us all their products are harmless ,... since it's no secret the folks at Pepsi have a mission statement ( sell as much Pepsi worldwide as possible )

Have no idea about rough cut oats ,...but it was shocking to me to learn whole wheat flour is considered a * processed * food ( by some , anyway ) because it's ground so fine in modern mills and has all the natural fat processed out so it won't go rancid on the shelf .

Easily impressionable me thought whole wheat pasta was about the healthiest thing in the world to eat for decades !?? Apparently the glycemic effect increases the more finely it's ground ,.... sort of like how grinding up cocaine finer gets a bigger effect .

Keep up the great work !!!

Your liver is loving the break from the sugar .
Old 06-23-2018, 02:48 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Arp- I thought of you this morning as soon as I woke up and forgot to ask if you have ever tried "noatmeal?" It's the keto version of oatmeal, in case you are missing the texture of warm oats too. Here's the recipe I tried it last year and really enjoyed it and you could still make it savory if that's what you like. It has 12 grams of fiber but I'm no sure how much of that is soluble.

https://www.healthysweeteats.com/my-...-6-variations/
Old 06-23-2018, 03:59 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Thank you for the noatmeal tip Sunflower. I miss porridge too sometimes.

I've used Uncommon Knowledge before and found it really good, so this was a 'deja vu' for me. There are also some good meditations on 'smiling mind' and it completely free.

The men here on the farm are on silage harvest this week and I'm making sandwiches and rolls So yesterday I went food shopping and I manage it without buying the big B&J tubs and without eating in the car on the way back. Yeeepppeee. This morning I made a whole lot of rolls and I could have dug in but I didn't. So I'm writing this with a big smile on my face

Sunflower, I'm so pleased for you that whatever you do is working for you. That's what it's all about.

Arp, as I've said on another thread, you are my inspiration!

I've enrolled in a free online course Jim Kwik - How to become a super learner
I'll let you know how I got on :-)
Old 06-23-2018, 06:15 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elke516 View Post
Thank you for the noatmeal tip Sunflower. I miss porridge too sometimes.

I've used Uncommon Knowledge before and found it really good, so this was a 'deja vu' for me. There are also some good meditations on 'smiling mind' and it completely free.

The men here on the farm are on silage harvest this week and I'm making sandwiches and rolls So yesterday I went food shopping and I manage it without buying the big B&J tubs and without eating in the car on the way back. Yeeepppeee. This morning I made a whole lot of rolls and I could have dug in but I didn't. So I'm writing this with a big smile on my face

Sunflower, I'm so pleased for you that whatever you do is working for you. That's what it's all about.

Arp, as I've said on another thread, you are my inspiration!

I've enrolled in a free online course Jim Kwik - How to become a super learner
I'll let you know how I got on :-)
Hi Elke! Yay for no car snacking- I used to be a big car binger myself so I know the temptation. And I consider baking rolls and not touching them a huge accomplishment! I made waffles this morning for Evan and wasn't even tempted- it's such a great feeling, isn't it?

How cool that you've used Uncommon Knowledge in the past- I was looking at my account and I've bought 4 tracks total from them over the last few years but I never followed through for some reason. I would listen once or twice and then give up. I really feel it is making a change in my brain this time though, and that's exactly what I was looking for!

Your course sounds interesting- going to google it. Have a great day!
Old 06-23-2018, 06:20 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Feeling good but hungry this morning. I definitely didn't eat enough or get enough salt yesterday. I just had a fatty coffee (called a Rocket Fuel Latte) and am getting ready to look up recipes to take to the potluck tonight. I think I will take a vegan slaw of some kind and make a raw dessert too, something with coconut. Then it's back home to paint- I got 2 of the smaller windows done earlier in the week but haven't attacked the huge window which has tons of panes and is going to take hours just to tape off! It's an adventure.

Potluck is at 4 and I can't wait to see some of my friends from class.

Okay, off to get things done- I'll check in later and if I have any urges. I am seeing that for me the excuse to binge is much more prevalent when I don't have anywhere to be and as an introverted empath, I tend to isolate a lot- it's my downfall. It's nice knowing I have plans all weekend because the likelihood to binge during the day becomes smaller. Nighttime is another issue of course but last night I wasn't even tempted while watching tv, which is usually a trigger for me.

Lots of love to all of you!
Old 06-23-2018, 12:23 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Damn. I almost just sabotaged the entire weekend. I almost told my son we aren’t going to the celebration even though I already made a huge vegan cole slaw. Why? Because I’m bloated. Like stomach distended, look five months pregnant bloated. I am not sure why this is happening but it could be from the new fiber I am taking or from the herbs in the cleanse I am doing. Either way I am extremely uncomfortable plus finally seeing the weight gain from last weeks binges and I basically had an anxiety attack trying to find something to wear. I feel fat and ugly and gross. I have felt uncomfortable all day and these feelings usually make me binge.

But this isn’t going to happen. This disease isn’t going to rob me of the good things in my life. The place I am going to tonight is a peace of heaven for me - such high vibration and such loving people. It’s what I need. I am not going to miss it because of my stupid head.

It’s just crazy.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:26 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Arp-

Congrats on a huge accomplishment! That is a humongous drop in your HbA1c.

I always find it interesting how different bodies handle different foods.

I am not saying that living with diabetes is easy or fun but you are able to get some immediate feedback from how food can impact things. In essence you get to be your one man experiment with different foods. The only thing that gets tricky about this is that if you only check after you eat (but not before) you don't get to see the change in your values that a food can impact. If you only check after it is hard to know what was the cause and what was the effect of that value.

In addition to steel cut oats there are whole oats out there too. They take much longer to cook initially, but they are the only oatmeal I consider using the microwave to reheat. I make some on Sunday for multiple servings as the week goes on. I find them more satisfying and they taste even nutty to me. They take 30-35 minutes to make initially though so the time can be a burden.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:24 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Video on sugar addiction by the woman who inspired me to start this thread:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/first-par...e-free-for-all