Notices

The Food Addiction Thread/Support Pt 2

Old 07-07-2018, 02:21 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulWater12 View Post
Good morning all, good to read all the updates in here.

Food addiction is so complex. So many different triggers to different people.

Starting another day of safe, clean eating. Feeling well, comfortable and secure on what I am eating.
It is amazingly complicated, I agree.
Enjoy your wonderful day PW!
Old 07-07-2018, 02:24 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WeaverBird View Post
Hi Lizajane, thanks for the psyllium (sp?) idea ~ it sent me off on a couple of happy hours of internet research on all sorts of things! My fave thing to do these days.

I keep coming across the idea that sugar is more addictive than cocaine. The Ted talk from Sunny had an incredible (to me) example of mice ripping off the oreo biscuit to get at the frosting inside! Wow no?

Anyway, psyllium helps with the liver and pancreas, and part of the reason I'm tackling my food now is I have intermittent pain in that area and the docs aren't finding the cause. Boy did I do some damage.

I can only begin to imagine how hard it is to feed a family with teenagers. You could end up cooking several different things. Will they help you cook?
How sad, about the mice and the oreos? It really has me thinking about the damage I am doing with my toddler who absolutely craves highly palatable foods. I never gave processed stuff to my first son- I made almost everything from scratch. I need to turn this around sooner than later.

I'm so sorry about the physical pain Weev- are they running more tests to try and diagnose it? That must be very stressful.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:25 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBug66 View Post
This is day 2 of eating better for me. I'm a little over 6 months sober and I am using the tools I learned early in my sobriety to help. I am a sugar and carb addict too I think.
Hi LadyBug! Nice to see you. Would you mind sharing your tools with us? I know for me the more I know, the better chances I have for success. Welcome to the group
Old 07-07-2018, 02:30 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lizajane View Post
Hi WeaverBird
I have my kiddos independent in terms of making their breakfast and lunch. I make the family dinner every night and just try to skip or take a small portion of the carb. The intermittent fasting is helpful...I only involve myself in the dinner that I eat! But just having food in the house that I cannot eat makes me crazy. It is easier than wine in the fridge, but sometimes an open bag of cookies in the pantry feels the same!
If you are interested in psyllium husk fiber...I buy Equate (Walmart brand) sugar free. It tastes exactly like Metamucil and has the same ingredients at a lower price. On a low carb diet I need the fiber AND if helps fill me up!

LadyBug, the first time I heard people claim they were food addicted I thought they were crazy and just making excuses. When I examined my own over eating habits, I realized that I had no end game when it came to carbs. I could literally eat chips, popcorn, fries, bread...forever almost. I don't know how many calories to actually make me full. I get compulsive as well...shoveling in mouthfuls if I was alone. Reaching for more while still chewing a mouthful! The Atkins diet broke me of my over eating. Once I got away from carbs, I actually started eating until full and did not get instantly starving either. I have slowly let them back into my diet and now I need to wean myself off. I am aiming for a healthier relationship with them. I know I cannot simply not have them ever again like alcohol, so I need to confine their consumption to part of a meal. Opening a bag of chips for a snack is no longer an option. Having a few as a side in a meal is ok if I don't have the option to dump more on my plate! I design my meals to be almost carb free and sometimes allow myself a small bit of the kids mac and cheese for example. I can't have any more because the pot will empty!

Just reading this one- boy, I could have written it myself. Having the chips and crackers and even just the PB&J in the house is such a trigger for me as well. I somehow managed to survived with that food around last year but am struggling now with it. I hope we can both find ways to stay mindful and present among the carbs we keep for our family members. I wonder if a post-it note of some sort would help in the pantry? Also, for me as long as I have low carb, easy to grab snacks around I am better. It's when I feel like I have to live without that I panic. So nuts, parmesan crips, flax crackers, celery, string cheese, seaweed etc. Do you keep snacks around as well that you can eat in those emergencies? I imagine if I ate meat I would roll up a piece of deli meat and cheese and munch on it with a piece of lettuce or something.

Hope you have a wonderful day!
Old 07-07-2018, 02:35 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Good morning beautiful ladies. I love you. I’m still doing my Matt Kahn ‘I love you’s’. Thank you for him Sunny. Just hearing his voice these days calms me down.

I was going to put a few sun emojis here from my iPhone but decided it is too fat... they need to reprogram their emoji to look healthier he’s definitely retaining water. See 🌞 ?

Peaceful, you are an inspiration to me to keep going. I love you. I just know there is a place for me where all the drama round food has settled down and some space in my head will be freed up.

Lizajane it’s true for me what you say about the open packet. I seem to know exactly where trigger foods are as I’m going round the house. They are always on my mind like the alcohol was. It’s almost a relief when the packet is empty and I have to stop eating. Or thinking you have it there only to find someone else has eaten it. Oh the explosion of temper then 🌋

And LadyBug. Congratulations on 6 months . I loved that milestone. My sobriety has been a succession of shedding cross-addictions over 14 months, and it’s a bit of a slog but I think 6 days without sugar is my absolute best gift to myself, and by all the powers that be, I don’t want to put that stuff in my body ever again. It’s the worst of the lot in my small opinion because it’s compromised my health and thinking for a lifetime.

Seeing my sponsor today to look again at step 8 and 9 because I feel I have apologised for myself enough in this life and perhaps the steps aren’t for people who had very abusive backgrounds? Too punishing. I am developing my first resentment against her for “making” me do this step. I have prayed around all the people from my step 4 for forgiveness and that should be it as far as I’m concerned. Revisiting it is just working on building more shame.

(That’s probably a debate for the 12 step forum, please forgive me if it offends. I go to smart meetings too! I take my weapons where I find them to fight addiction!!!! )

Have the best day all and 😍 I Love You!!!!

Good morning Weev-I hope you can find a way to work on steps 8 and 9 without it causing even more shame. That sounds exhausting. I hope your meeting with her goes well and that you can find a middle ground. I wish I knew more about it so I could help. Did you take a look at the Ho'opononono? I never know if I spell that right!!

xoxo
Old 07-07-2018, 02:41 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

I think I just spent 20 minutes catching up and responding!

It's 5:35 am. Nice to wake up not hungover from carbs. I upped my amino acids yesterday and I think it helped a lot. In case anyone is interested, the book I am using is called The Craving Cure. There's a quiz you can also take online if you are interested in seeing what type of craver you are and what aminos may help. Funny thing is, I suggested L-Glutamine to my husband last week since he takes GABA and L-Glutamine is supposed to increase GABA but possibly even more effectively than a GABA supplement itself. I swear he is a totally different person these last 2 days and I couldn't figure out why- he told me he has been taking GABA and L-Glutamine! Totally helps his mood. I also took GABA yesterday and was amazed at how much more calm I felt.

I also upped some other ones and I really felt like the cravings were minimal. It's only day 2 and day 3-4 seems to be my hardest so here's to hoping this actually works. I am committed to getting back on the keto train. It really works wonders for me when I stick to it and now of course I have the added motivation of my birthday coming up on the 26th as well as the pool membership which starts on the 23rd. I know these reasons are a little superficial but God knows if I don't feel comfortable enough to go to the pool I just won't go. And that wouldn't be fair to my little guys.

Okay, off to the gym for a leg workout. Than not sure about the afternoon but my mom is having a get together at her house for a friend tonight.

Have a great Saturday everyone!
Old 07-07-2018, 04:37 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

This is day 2 of eating better for me. I'm a little over 6 months sober and I am using the tools I learned early in my sobriety to help. I am a sugar and carb addict too I think.
Hi

6 months is awesome love.....as is day 2. ♥♥
Old 07-07-2018, 04:39 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Sunny...I think you and Dee have the same birthday.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:05 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Sunny...I think you and Dee have the same birthday.
Yes- we do!!
How are you feeling today?
Old 07-07-2018, 05:11 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Excellent. ♥♥
Old 07-07-2018, 11:49 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Closing the day on target with my safe eating.

I love waking up in the morning with nothing to beat myself up over from the day before and also no sugar hangover. As bad as a booze hangover. Maybe less stinkie but just as horrible.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:55 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Well done Peaceful. I love the way you just calmly walk through your days. It gives me hope that this can be done.

I haven't eaten sugar today. A miracle. And tomorrow, God willing, I shall celebrate a week. It's years since I did that. I'm a bit awestruck at the enormity of that.

I hope I don't rush off to find some sugar now. I'm quite capable of panicking like that. The mind is a powerful thing.

I love you.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:04 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Thank you, Weev. This can indeed be done.

For me its about fresh and plain food. No processed foods or salt, sugar, chemicals. Lots of protein and fruit.

Several more pounds have dropped off me on their own. I am slim already but am becoming lean and toned, thanks to my Pilates classes. I like how my body is changing.

Was some mild annoyance here, AH passed out drunk early evening! I totally Al-anoned it and left him where he was. As mentioned in earlier posts, he is very ill but alcohol still has him in its grip.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:05 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

HI Sunny
Yes, I do keep snacking stuff for me. Whole almonds, bag of chopped cauliflower and broccoli, sugar free jello, celery, cheese. I try to be careful with the higher calorie stuff. I am not convinced that just eating all the fat and zero carb high calorie stuff is great for me. The intermittent fasting makes me really hungry at times so I feel like I am going to just go nuts. I was managing regularly scheduled meals better in terms of my mental state ...but I was having a hard time keeping my calorie deficit in tact and weight loss going. I am going to stay with this for one week and see if I adjust. If I lose weight but I am hungry all the time and unhappy, I will have to make another switch. Then I might do fasting over a couple of days rather then a bit of every day.

Peaceful water, I agree with everything you said. Mornings are such a blessing right now. I get up feeling like today is another day to do good things rather than starting with a feeling that I must repair yesterday.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:09 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lizajane View Post

Peaceful water, I agree with everything you said. Mornings are such a blessing right now. I get up feeling like today is another day to do good things rather than starting with a feeling that I must repair yesterday.
I love having a clean sheet each day. A brand new fresh day, no apologies or amends needed. Or criticising myself for food binge.

I like to do a little review each evening in bed. Quick check in with my sponsor. The day is done. Done in a good way. To me, as long as I go to bed sober and food binge free, it has been a fantastic day. Anything else is a bonus.

Love to all. Lee xx
Old 07-07-2018, 02:36 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Day 3

The first month of sobriety was so hard. My husband still drinks and it was hard for me to be around him drinking in the beginning but now it really doesn't bother me. I can be around people who are drinking and be ok. Now with food.... especially sweets..... It is setting me off and I see now how my brain is working. If there is a span of time I'm not engaged in an activity then I feel like I should be snacking on sweets. I'm having to talk to myself when I think of reaching for a cookie or candy. It's like the beginning of sobriety but with food instead of alcohol ... kind of sucks but I see now from my sobriety that it will get better. I'm day 3 of eating healthy and being very mindful of my thoughts on food. Thank you for the words encouragement. I'm so thankful for SR and all of you!
Old 07-07-2018, 10:17 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

I haven't eaten sugar today. A miracle. And tomorrow, God willing, I shall celebrate a week. It's years since I did that. I'm a bit awestruck at the enormity of that.
Very well done as you are about to reach a week gloriously sugar free. You have done the hardest part. Onwards. Lee xx
Old 07-07-2018, 10:22 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

The first month of sobriety was so hard. My husband still drinks and it was hard for me to be around him drinking in the beginning but now it really doesn't bother me. I can be around people who are drinking and be ok. Now with food.... especially sweets..... It is setting me off and I see now how my brain is working. If there is a span of time I'm not engaged in an activity then I feel like I should be snacking on sweets. I'm having to talk to myself when I think of reaching for a cookie or candy. It's like the beginning of sobriety but with food instead of alcohol ... kind of sucks but I see now from my sobriety that it will get better. I'm day 3 of eating healthy and being very mindful of my thoughts on food. Thank you for the words encouragement. I'm so thankful for SR and all of you!
Keep up the good work, you are doing well.

My H still drinks too, when I first quit he tried to sabotage me as he wanted his drinking buddy back. But over the years he has accepted my choice not to drink. Now he is very thankful for it as he is in such poor health, and I am not.

My attitude to his drinking over the years changed. I felt guilty for a long time for depriving him of his drinking buddy (me? codie? much!) to now I find it a tiresome bore.

Being around a drunk person when you are sober is irritating. No, I expressed that wrongly. Ok, being around a drunk person when you have good self esteem and awareness yourself is a tiresome bore.

Onwards. Lee xx
Old 07-07-2018, 10:24 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Checking in for another day of safe eating.

Lots of alcohol and carb overload hangovers around here today because of England winning the football last night. I am thankful to say I am woke feeling well and guilt free.

Have a good day all. Lee xx
Old 07-08-2018, 05:38 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Very thankful for YOU and you contribution to this thread. I am the same with the snacking - I find myself mindlessly reaching into the macadamia nuts throughout the day, usually when I am bored or restless or like you said, not involved in an activity.

I wonder if 3 deep breaths would help you really connect to your body? We learned this in a recent class I took. You take 3 really deep breaths and connect with your center- then ask your body what it really needs right now. It could be a glass of water, or it could actually be food. But when we become more connected we can override our own needs and listen to our bodies instead. I will try it today as well. I am also on day 3! Let's do this