Notices

Class of June 2018 Part 1

Old 06-02-2018, 04:16 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Administrator

Calm - it's the first drink that starts the madness, not the last - don't you agree?
if not, why not?
D
Old 06-02-2018, 04:27 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by calmself View Post
Friends, I am going to 'Totally wine' now to get Non alcoholic beer. I heard there is a wine tasting going on. Am i allowed to taste few sips, no more? Need answer please. Thanks!
Hey. Hey. Uh uh. That AV IS A LIE!!

Please. I just saw this. Control those fingers. Those arms. You control them. Not the animalistic pleasure center of your brain.

I hope to hear from you

Free
Old 06-02-2018, 04:30 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

How do I join this group? I'm back at day 1 again...ugh. ive been on and off SR for a few years now. I do find it helpful, but I never tried to join this group. I want to do things differently than what I have done in the past. Joining this thread will be one of those things. Ty
Old 06-02-2018, 04:48 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Thanks a ton ProfD, Minion and Free. I saw your responses when I was entering the store. My god, what a big store - it's literally a Walmart for alcohol.
As I entered, they were giving free samples of Flavored Vodka, Wine and Craft beer. I started feeling very weak and again swarms of AVs around me saying "Drink, drink, drink...do not punish yourself" but I said a firm 'No' and came back home

Dee, you are right. The first drink starts the madness. If i had had two sips, I would have gone ahead and got a 32 oz IPA guzzler since it was dirt cheap at 4.49 bucks. I feel so proud. This is the first time ever in last 15 years I came back home empty handed from an alcohol store.

Guys, Thank you so much again for the support.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:50 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mistory5 View Post
How do I join this group? I'm back at day 1 again...ugh. ive been on and off SR for a few years now. I do find it helpful, but I never tried to join this group. I want to do things differently than what I have done in the past. Joining this thread will be one of those things. Ty
Mistory, Welcome! There s plenty of support available here. What's your story?
Old 06-02-2018, 06:33 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Way to go calm!!! It is a great feeling- I also had to say no to my AV twice today.

High five!
Old 06-02-2018, 06:38 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Thanks Bumblebee and good job! Still I kinda feel bad I could not taste - it was totally free. But lets stay strong! Hope Mantalady has reached Thailand safe.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:16 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I flunked out if May and March class. I am flat broke now. I will use my poverty to my advantage to get into a sober mindset. I don't even have any food because I drank my funds away before hitting the grocery store. Although, oddly, being hungry has me thinking about food rather than booze. I would choose a pizza right now over a 6-pack!
Old 06-02-2018, 08:01 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Calmself... so glad to hear of empty hands! Great work!! I had a good day of complete surrender. Snagged a sponsor in my second meeting and warded off the AV with dear friends who made me stay out with them till all the purchase abilities were closed! Home now and still sober! Glad to have this place to share and get encouragement. Hoping to sleep tonight. Will check in tomorrow... have church in the am and then work. Coming home from work has been the challenge so will plan different route and keep busy. Much love Juners!
Old 06-02-2018, 09:26 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by calmself View Post
Mistory, Welcome! There s plenty of support available here. What's your story?
Well i had weight loss surgery in 2001, couldn't drink if i wanted to for about 3 years after surgery. Lost my baby at 7 months pregnant and had terrible relationship issues with my significant other. Lots of verbal and physical fighting and he was having an affair. I loved him very much though. He died unexpectedly 2011. I started drinking right after i loss my baby in 2004. The drinking started in small amounts, but it was everyday. It got even worse after my son's father died. The amounts kept increasing and i started going in and out of rehabs , psych hospitals and outpatient. Ive lost great jobs and my medical license, 2 DUI, lost friends, family and my true self. I can't get any good longterm sobriety . 59 days was my best time in 2016. SR helped me a lot during that time. Right now Im scared because I am going on binges for 1 to 2 weeks out of each month. Im drinking and driving, im missing appointments and deadlines and my son is graduating highschool and is going off to college june 24...im a wreck. I haven't done well with AA and sponsors haven't went well.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:30 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really proud of you too calmself!

welcome mistory

D
Old 06-02-2018, 11:11 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mistory5 View Post
Well i had weight loss surgery in 2001, couldn't drink if i wanted to for about 3 years after surgery. Lost my baby at 7 months pregnant and had terrible relationship issues with my significant other. Lots of verbal and physical fighting and he was having an affair. I loved him very much though. He died unexpectedly 2011. I started drinking right after i loss my baby in 2004. The drinking started in small amounts, but it was everyday. It got even worse after my son's father died. The amounts kept increasing and i started going in and out of rehabs , psych hospitals and outpatient. Ive lost great jobs and my medical license, 2 DUI, lost friends, family and my true self. I can't get any good longterm sobriety . 59 days was my best time in 2016. SR helped me a lot during that time. Right now Im scared because I am going on binges for 1 to 2 weeks out of each month. Im drinking and driving, im missing appointments and deadlines and my son is graduating highschool and is going off to college june 24...im a wreck. I haven't done well with AA and sponsors haven't went well.
Sorry to hear what you went through Good to hear that your son is now graduating high school. You should be proud of him. Please stop drinking for his sake. It would be great if you can list the reasons why you are drinking. Drinking and driving can become so serious. Hoping to see you here everyday sober.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:24 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi mistory

I think there is always hope.

I drank all day everyday for several years - in the end I decided that I didn't want to die that way...and I finally, eventually become prepared to do whatever it took to stay sober.

I don't know what kind of things you're tried but if you're prepared to accept that a craving doesn't need to be sated to disappear, or that feelings don't need to be medicated, I think you're in a good place to start the journey again.

Let us help. Keep posting

D
Old 06-03-2018, 01:38 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Calm - Well done on exiting the store empty-handed that took some courage !!

Mistory - I am so sorry for what you have been through. Your son graduating to high school is now the time that he will realise what you are doing to yourself. Please stay sober for his sake

Well its Day 2 for me - I worked in the garden most of the day yesterday so kept myself busy. Its a gorgeous day again today so no doubt I'll be out there again. No cravings for me because I do go 2 days without alcohol - its the 3rd day I normally drink but not this time. I am dong a low-carb diet alongside being alcohol free as I think this will also keep me on the straight and narrow.
Have a good day all !!!
Old 06-03-2018, 02:13 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi mistory

I think there is always hope.

I drank all day everyday for several years - in the end I decided that I didn't want to die that way...and I finally, eventually become prepared to do whatever it took to stay sober.

I don't know what kind of things you're tried but if you're prepared to accept that a craving doesn't need to be sated to disappear, or that feelings don't need to be medicated, I think you're in a good place to start the journey again.

Let us help. Keep posting

D
Thanks D. Out of all the sobriety online spots the SR community has always seemed the most supportive and respond very quickly to posts. Im going to stay here. Like I said earlier SR did help very much during my last decent sobriety time. Yes, it wasn't longterm, but it was the longest time I ever had since 2004. I appreciate you all.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:25 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Calmself-that's a great achievement! I can see how you'd feel a little sad about turning down those free shots, but when you look at it-that moment of sadness passes so much quicker than the fallout would had you taken those shots!!

Mistory-thanks for sharing your story, it was very brave of you. As Dee says, you're in a good place and certainly aren't alone. Keeping reading and posting.

Susiegirl-I'm UK based too and it sure is a beautiful day here! Getting out in the garden is a great idea. Make sure you slap on some sunscreen!

It's Day 4 for me. Woke up feeling anxious and a bit worried about work tomorrow. Going to spend today prepping for a conference I have tomorrow and Tuesday. Want to hit the ground running with it. Planning to pack my case for it by 7pm tonight so I can chill out in the evening, and give myself some headspace. Preparation is key for me. When I try to wing it or don't give myself enough me time, that's when my AV starts to sneak in. Not letting that happen this time. No way.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:50 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Welcome to those who joined yesterday!

Good morning Peeps!! It’s another day to live free from the chains of our addiction! I choose my higher power today to carry me through just this minute. Hope you are all holding onto hope this morning or afternoon wherever u may be! Let’s do this thing just for right now. 💕
Old 06-03-2018, 06:55 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sadsadgirl View Post
Calmself-that's a great achievement! I can see how you'd feel a little sad about turning down those free shots, but when you look at it-that moment of sadness passes so much quicker than the fallout would had you taken those shots!!

Mistory-thanks for sharing your story, it was very brave of you. As Dee says, you're in a good place and certainly aren't alone. Keeping reading and posting.

Susiegirl-I'm UK based too and it sure is a beautiful day here! Getting out in the garden is a great idea. Make sure you slap on some sunscreen!

It's Day 4 for me. Woke up feeling anxious and a bit worried about work tomorrow. Going to spend today prepping for a conference I have tomorrow and Tuesday. Want to hit the ground running with it. Planning to pack my case for it by 7pm tonight so I can chill out in the evening, and give myself some headspace. Preparation is key for me. When I try to wing it or don't give myself enough me time, that's when my AV starts to sneak in. Not letting that happen this time. No way.
Sadsad hope that you’re not to anxious today! I too need to plan my day to the hour and sometimes minute right now. I don’t trust myself to be alone for all that much time. A scary place to be currently. Cunning and sneaky is the AV and it always gets me in that low spot. I can’t give it ear or head time! I’m worthy of more, so I ignore!! That’s today for me as I head to work after church...
Old 06-03-2018, 07:31 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Good morning, June friends! I will read and post more later. Just wanted to check in. Having another day of outdoorsy adventures with my husband. Really enjoying a SOBER and healthy summer.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:46 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gymratgirl View Post
I am joining. I tried in May and failed. I am here with new tools and outlook and I am committed!!
Ill join with u day 3 for me today