Notices

Class of June 2018 Part 1

Old 06-16-2018, 07:38 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Minion09 View Post
Ohhh the battle we are in! We all understand! This event doesn’t mean the end, it means pause! Take a hard look at what didn’t happen and where you chose self over surrender. Don’t live in that self space but rather stand up tall, take a big breath, ask God to remove all urges to drink going forward! You’ve owned it, you can’t take it back but you can move forward today, just today! Dust off, set your course forward. There is a higher power greater than yourself that can relieve you of this craziness called alcoholism- may you find that higher power NOW- are you willing? I listened to this podcast last night... so good... if you get a minute, go outside with earphones on, look around at the beauty surrounding you and listen - mike chase.org. Step series June. Much love 💕. 🙏🏻
Yes. Underestimated totally. Will definitely listen to the podcast. Thanks, Minion! Devil got in me because 28 days was such a long gap and the fear of missing out / 'go big or go home' dominated.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:42 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Wishing everyone an enjoyable, sober weekend!
Old 06-16-2018, 09:23 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Day 18! Hope everyone has a great weekend! Hang in there and fight that AV
Old 06-16-2018, 09:58 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

completed day 11

Thanks for the supportive words - it does help

had plans for today but not up to it - so just going to loll about instead (you have to know your limitations - as Clint says)

anyway, well done if you lasted another day :-)
Old 06-16-2018, 02:01 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  

calmself, I totally relate to that. I actually have the hardest time avoiding drinking when I'm feeling good, celebrating, or getting good news. And then add peer pressure. Sounds like a tough situation. Don't beat yourself up.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:07 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Sign me up for class of June 2018. Been trying to quit all year with fail...
Old 06-16-2018, 02:55 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Hi Junipers 😊 and welcome to the newcomers 😊

I hear you calmself about the go hard bit,
if I have one drink I think what the heck I may as well go hard now, and I’ll invariably drink the whole bottle (red wine) and often open a second and sometimes a third. So each time I’m tempted now I’m playing the tape forward to the inevitable hangover. So far it’s stopping me have that first drink. But I have to stay aware of the AV because it keeps trying to trick me into having a drink...

Stay strong everyone! Together we can do this 😊
Old 06-17-2018, 04:09 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Morning junipers.

Waking up sober on day 14. Sober mornings are so rewarding.

So many triggers yesterday, and AV was relatively quiet. We had a cookout at my house yesterday... When we host anything- I would clean up and prep while drinking wine. By the time people started to arrive, I was already buzzed.. and would continue to drink non secretly.

When my hubby came home from work he was in a bad mood and stressed. We had a little argument, and I felt unappreciated. Long story short- he apologized, we kissed and made up. But this also is a huge trigger.

Then hubby went back into work after the cookout- neighbors outside drinking. Double trigger. And still remained strong.

It is slowly getting easier. Still get annoyed that I can’t be normal and have just one or two like everyone I saw yesterday. But I realize that now.

Off to my parents house this morning with the littles and puppy for brunch.

Have a good one guys. Enjoy your sober day!
Old 06-17-2018, 05:02 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Newme2018

calmself - I made a deal with myself right at the start that I wouldn't drink until I had a chance to come here first - even if that meant several hours.

That strategy never let me down

D
Old 06-17-2018, 05:18 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Good morning Junipers!! It’s Sunday!! 11 totally sober days, and I feel pretty good this morning. Reading the Big Book and woah!! Good stuff in there... I can relate to much of it!! Hope you’re all doing ok, Sober just for today!! I have a bbq later today which includes a baby reveal of dear friends. There will be alcohol there... while it’s never been an issue for me to drink at a party(was an isolated drinker) I’m having some apprehensions about triggers, as while I can not drink at the party, I’m terrified of the thought that it will trigger me later. I’m going to hand it over to my higher power, if I need to leave I will do so! Thanks for listening! Have a great day!💕
Old 06-17-2018, 07:20 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Good luck at the party, Minion! Those events are single-handedly responsible for all my relapses, so I think you are right to be cautious. Maybe visualize the different scenarios where you will say no to a drink? Make and bring your own non-alcoholic beverage? And of course having an "escape plan" is super useful.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:54 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Day 6, and pretty good so far!
Old 06-17-2018, 09:38 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

completed day 12

feeling a bit agitated and woozy (but stronger at my core)

I think if you were/are a serious alcoholic (way past alcohol dependence) like me - you have to be so careful about what you eat and drink during the early stages of a quit (first 3 months)

(just my thoughts) the needy receptors in the brain will latch onto any molecule that resembles ethanol alcohol, and produce pseudo inebriation and real hangovers (and keep the needy alcohol receptors in the brain alive and kicking) - look how similar the molecules are, and how many of the docking points are interchangeable

I'm going back to steamed rice and vegetable, with maybe steamed fish. My lack of discipline (eating fruit, processed fruit, and other hidden sugars) has really knocked me back

anyway - well done if you lasted another day :-)
Old 06-17-2018, 09:59 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

whoops - cannot edit my last post ....

I'm not belittling alcohol dependence (been there - got worse)
Old 06-17-2018, 02:33 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Hi redcardid, interesting information there. A few times I have woken up feeling like I have a bit of a hangover (but not as extreme as the hangovers I got from alcohol) and I’m now wondering if they were sugar related... 🤔 I’ve actually been eating more sugary things recently than I used to... I’ve always had a “sweet tooth “ but when drinking I could more easily stay away from sweet snacks. Since I stopped drinking I’ve been craving sweets. Now that’s the next thing I need to tackle.... I generally have a healthy diet, but in the afternoon and evening (when I used to drink wine) I’ve been craving sweet things.... Now my next challenge begins... ditching the sugar 🤔
Old 06-17-2018, 02:58 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Good analysis, Redcardid!

My day 2 is going cool, some minor av chatter but nothing that i cant handle. Have a sober sunday all!
Old 06-17-2018, 05:17 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey guys

hows it going Minion?

D
Old 06-17-2018, 05:59 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  

I had a hard day, but tomorrow is another chance to remain sober and be my best self. Keep on keeping on, Junipers!
Old 06-17-2018, 07:53 PM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Lots of triggers today for some reason.... I was walking out of the football club this morning at 10.30am where I had to sort some paperwork, and a couple walked in for a morning drink and I immediately wanted one too. The AV said go on, just a quick glass of wine, you’ve got a cruisy day today.... Then drove past my local bottlo ie “wine shop” and started to turn the car into the carpark... The AV is really persistent today and it’s not yet 1pm on Monday... Start of my week 6 and the AV is telling me that I obviously don’t have a problem because I’ve gone 35 days without alcohol (after 35 years drinking). I know it’s a liar. I wish it would just go away and leave me alone 😳
Old 06-17-2018, 08:20 PM
  # 440 (permalink)  
Administrator

too cold to be drinking - try a cuppa instead willow

D