Notices

Class of June 2018 Part 1

Old 06-01-2018, 11:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Actually, I read in few articles that when you are trying to cut down on alcohol, you should consume as less sugar as possible. Sugar increases cravings using a similar mechanism as alcohol. So when the cravings come, we never know what caused it - sugar or alcohol. We then have to fight both and since alcohol has temporary relaxant effects, we run to drink. They say, cut down on sugar and you will deal with lesser and lesser cravings for alcohol. Going to try that starting today.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I think it depends calmself, for normies that are trying to cut down on alcohol that might work. But for alcoholics often the ability to regulate blood sugar can be impaired as the sugar in the alcohol tends to regulate the blood sugar levels and we lose some of the bodys natural insulin production. It also depends on where you are getting the sugar from. Sugar from fruit and natural foods is better, added sugar to processed foods and factory made sweets are not so good.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

That's good to know! I have so far found it to be very true, partly because it regulates my anxiety/emotions so I'm calmer in general, more inclined to make good decisions I think. It's also having a secondary effect which is when I'm really feeling angsty and my AV is chattering away I give in and have a sugar treat but NOT a drink. It's like I've added another buffer between me and the alcohol.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

What does AV stand for?
Old 06-01-2018, 12:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
SWB

I’m in, day one here exactly a year ago I began drinking heavily. Today I start a healthier lifestyle
Old 06-01-2018, 12:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by halvso View Post
What does AV stand for?
Alcoholic Voice. Some people, including myself, use it to separate the "drinking" voice and your own true voice. Your AV is what lies to you, tells you that you don't have a problem, that you can have just one, that you can moderate, etc.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Good choice SWB!

AV = Addictive or Alcoholic Voice halvso

xx
Old 06-01-2018, 01:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks Professor and Manta... I'm looking for it's mute button 😉😁
Old 06-01-2018, 01:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I would like to be part!

Hi everyone!! Started this journey in May 14 had 2.5 years in and since have been in and off. I need to be here if you’ll have me. I’m currently day 6 and it’s been rough. I’m all over the place in my head and just trying to live 1 minute sober currently. Evenings are my downfall, I’m single and live alone, and over the past year and and a half had struggled to truly admit that I’m an alcoholic but I AM and that’s that! Read a great article yesterday called “until it happened to me” on the fix.com and boy did it resonate. So here I humbly am seeking accountability and encouragement. Hitting a meeting on the way home vs. the alternative. Thanks for listening.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Welcome Minion! Congrats on Day 6. There's definitely a lot of encouragement here , such an awesome place. Request you to post here before you decide to drink.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:01 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by calmself View Post
Welcome Minion! Congrats on Day 6. There's definitely a lot of encouragement here , such an awesome place. Request you to post here before you decide to drink.
Thank you calmself. Request received and will surely seek to reach out before making a poor decision. TY again!
Old 06-01-2018, 02:14 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi Minion! I'm new here, too. Evenings are my toughest time, too. That's when I drink, at home. So happy we have this site to come to for support and encouragement, all day, everyday. Congratulations on day 6!!

Last edited by halvso; 06-01-2018 at 02:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-01-2018, 02:18 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi Minion! I'm new here, too. Evenings are my toughest time, too. That's when I drink, at home. So happy we have this site to come to for support and encouragement, all day, everyday. Congratulations on day 6!!
Hey Halvso!! Nice to meet ya!! Glad you’re here also! Yup the itching hours I call it!! Gotta get beyond that!! Heading into an AA meeting now... the battle is on! The AV will not win this Friday - hoping anyway.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:48 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Good for you, Minion! I just read a book , "Mrs. D Is Going Without" . Her biggest struggle was also the evenings. From 5 til bedtime. She calls it the witching hours, ha ha! Think about how good you're going to feel in the morning 🎇
Old 06-01-2018, 03:53 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Until it happens to you

Well just got done an awesome meeting... of course I was sceptical at first but woah... it was great. Munched on a couple haribo gummy bears cause I love those 🐻! Anyway... wanted to share a blog shared with me yesterday ...https://www.thefix.com/living-sober/until-it-happens-you
This resonates so much with my half assed admittance of my addiction. So here I am in full admittance of my alcoholism! Take a read if you so feel inclined.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:03 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Good for you, Minion! I just read a book , "Mrs. D Is Going Without" . Her biggest struggle was also the evenings. From 5 til bedtime. She calls it the witching hours, ha ha! Think about how good you're going to feel in the morning 🎇
I shall look for this read halvso... sounds like it will resonate. Yup, itching hours shall not beat me this minute! Hope your evening is calm and free.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:26 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Prof D Halvso Pinky, Bumblebee2 Free2bme888 calmself MantaLady Minion and SWB

D
Old 06-01-2018, 04:29 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

Weekends can be tough, but together we're stronger.
Here are some cool links if you've not seen them before

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

D
Old 06-01-2018, 04:43 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, this is my first serious attempt since Christmas, and I'm on day 3. I've been on and off for the past year or so several times. There's no comparison to how good I feel when I have a good stretch of sobriety (my longest was just over a year). I'm ready to go back there now.

Right now, I'm feeling good that this is my first Friday in some months that I've managed to be sober. I am a binger rather than a daily drinker, and have been limiting myself to Fridays only (until the past few weeks when it became twice a week, then three times and started infringing on work / commitments etc).. so I craved a bit, and a couple of times could almost taste it, but I found other stuff to do and now it's bedtime.

Wishing luck to my fellow June-rs!
Old 06-01-2018, 05:20 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee😁

Minion, so glad to hear about your meeting. I do think you'd like that book!