Notices

Class of March 2016 part 70

Old 05-31-2018, 07:33 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Kiki! 5 months is amazing!

Good morning, March People!

I think I am picking Nathan up today. He will be back on the Vivitrol shot and back at the outpatient rehab. He will be staying with my parents until the paperwork is finished for him to go to a sober house. I really want to see him, but this makes me nervous. Ah, well, nothing I can do. His choices will be his. Keep him in your thoughts, please. This mom really wants her boy back.

Have a great day, friends!
Old 05-31-2018, 07:34 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

May 31, 2018
– NATIONAL SMILE DAY
– NATIONAL UTAH DAY
– NATIONAL MACAROON DAY
– NATIONAL SPEAK IN COMPLETE SENTENCES DAY
– NATIONAL AUTONOMOUS VEHICLE DAY
– NATIONAL SAVE YOUR HEARING DAY
– NECROTIZING FASCIITIS AWARENESS DAY
Old 05-31-2018, 07:36 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Thought for the Day

I shall not wait to be drafted for service to A.A. I shall volunteer. I shall be loyal in my attendance, generous in my giving, kind in my criticism, creative in my suggestions, loving in my attitudes. I shall give to A.A. my interest, my enthusiasm, my devotion, and most of all, myself. Do I also accept this as my A.A. credo?

Meditation for the Day

Prayer is of many kinds, but of whatever kind, prayer is the linking up of the soul and mind to God. So, if prayer is only a glance of faith, a look or a word of love, or just a feeling of confidence in the goodness and purpose in the universe, still the result of that prayer is added strength to meet all temptations and to overcome them. Even if no supplication is expressed, all the supply of strength that is necessary is secured, because the soul, being linked and united to God, receives from Him all spiritual help needed. The soul, when in its human body, still needs the things belonging to its heavenly habitation.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may be taught how to pray. I pray that I may be linked through prayer to the mind and will of God.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:39 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bobbieka View Post
Congratulations, Kiki! 5 months is amazing!

Good morning, March People!

I think I am picking Nathan up today. He will be back on the Vivitrol shot and back at the outpatient rehab. He will be staying with my parents until the paperwork is finished for him to go to a sober house. I really want to see him, but this makes me nervous. Ah, well, nothing I can do. His choices will be his. Keep him in your thoughts, please. This mom really wants her boy back.

Have a great day, friends!
Oh love, that is wonderful. I was just thinking about Nathan....this is really really good news. I understand the nerves....it will be OK.....he will probably be nervous too.....big big hugs I imagine. ♥♥
Old 05-31-2018, 04:27 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  

prayers B
Old 05-31-2018, 04:46 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats good news Bobbie

D
Old 05-31-2018, 05:20 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Evening!

Well the pouring rain and thunderstorms canceled our staff outing today. Shucks. Lol. I still feel “safer” when I’m in control of my environment. I’m sure it will get easier over time but for now I was pretty pleased to just come home after work.

Bobbie - that is awesome news!! How freaking exciting!! ❤️

Kiki - congrats on your milestone!! ��

Making it an early night tonight. Hoping you’re all doing well!!
Old 05-31-2018, 05:27 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Congrats to people with 5 months sober, people whose sons are coming home and people with their own bed!!!

Plugging along here - day by day, and now at 2 months, 15 days. Doing better on the mindfulness front and trying to keep my brain focused on what's important in the long run. Not as well on the health front. Taking ibuprofen and vitamin C, drinking plenty of water and trying to get some extra rest. I'll get better - I just hope it happens soon!!

Have a good night everyone!
Old 05-31-2018, 07:04 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I spent several years drinking around the clock.
I couldn't imagine 4 days sober, let alone a week, or a month.

I eventually decided that that was not a good enough reason to keep killing myself.

I took the leap, I stuck to it, and here I am.

Anybody can do what I did...anybody

D
Thanks, Dee. I guess it's one thing to believe you can do it and quite another to actually do it. Getting from one to the other seems always be the stumbling block; for me anyway. I will not quit quitting.

Congrats on five months Kiki!
And a new bed PJ!
And Nathan getting into sober living Bobbie!
And MITA on almost three months!

Apologies to all I've missed. Trying to mentally steel myself to re-quit yet again. Difficult, but doable and necessary.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:35 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Don't disappear on us 13th, keep posting.
Productive and good stuff MITA
Sam- being in control...I have always had issues with that one.
Feeling ambivalent about seeing son/not seeing ex who was inside...perhaps more thinking ambivalence- I actually feel ok. The only person I can control is me and I have no business attempting to work out their head spaces if they do not share.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:17 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Morning!!

Just a quick pop in to say hi and have a great day!!

Happy Friday!!
Old 06-01-2018, 04:36 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks, Dee. I guess it's one thing to believe you can do it and quite another to actually do it. Getting from one to the other seems always be the stumbling block; for me anyway. I will not quit quitting.
I spent maybe 25 years waiting for a way for me to be able to live my life unchanged and not have the long list of negative consequences from my drinking & drug taking.

There simply is no way to do that 13th.

Some people get stuck on the diving board of change through arrogance, assuming they'll find a way to have their cake and eat it too - but thats not the only sticking point.

Others get stuck through fear, still others have no faith in their ability to change or for their life to be good. They feel instinctively they do not deserve 'nice things', or they'll break them if they get them.

I think you're much more the second paragraph kinda alcoholic.

I think long term use of alcohol not only promotes but engenders that hopelessness and lack of self esteem - but it's hard to see that when you're in the middle of it.

It's a real leap of faith to take that leap not know what it will be like when we land....but eventually you get to a point where , if you want to live, you have to take that leap.

I think you want to live...so I hope you decide to take the leap.

The earlier the better - the less things of value you lose.

D
Old 06-01-2018, 05:00 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

One perception I have about myself and my boozing is stuff I learned about myself becoming a (now) life student of CBT. The mind, our emotions and behaviours all interact and influence each other. A bit like a fire needing heat, a fuel source and oxygen. Our thoughts can influence our feelings that dictates the behaviour.

A thought put into an action over a small period of time becomes a pattern. A pattern reinforced over hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands- creates a habit..that over time can define who we are. Such as drinking. To break that habit- means consciously over and over (for me tens of thousands to times) changing the thinking- to control the behaviour. Feelings and emotions can be triggered by memories- and THAT is the part of the cycle for me that changes the most slowly. I do this with journal writing, support and here.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:43 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

I spent maybe 25 years waiting for a way for me to be able to live my life unchanged and not have the long list of negative consequences from my drinking & drug taking.

There simply is no way to do that 13th.

Some people get stuck on the diving board of change through arrogance, assuming they'll find a way to have their cake and eat it too - but thats not the only sticking point.

Others get stuck through fear, still others have no faith in their ability to change or for their life to be good. They feel instinctively they do not deserve 'nice things', or they'll break them if they get them.

I think you're much more the second paragraph kinda alcoholic.
I would agree with that assessment. I do have some of the previous paragraph arrogance in me too. So it's 25/75 or so.

I think long term use of alcohol not only promotes but engenders that hopelessness and lack of self esteem - but it's hard to see that when you're in the middle of it.
Despite being in it, I do see it to an extent. I see it in myself and others when I read Newcomers. My problem seems to be that I'm too stubborn or foolhardy. Sobriety isn't going to happen on its own or be handed to me.

It's a real leap of faith to take that leap not know what it will be like when we land....but eventually you get to a point where , if you want to live, you have to take that leap.

I think you want to live...so I hope you decide to take the leap.

The earlier the better - the less things of value you lose.

D
I will take that leap and hopefully soon. Thanks as always for the feedback. The truth can be tough to hear/read but it's what I need.

Happy Friday Sam!

Thank you PJ. I think it's very much the pattern or cycle for me. Dee has said that it sucks but it a suck with which you are familiar. OK, not exactly in those words but that's the gist. I like fire and fuel metaphor. It's habit I need to change and then constantly reinforce that change. Once again for me, all talk and no action solves nothing. Goes right back to what you said the other day about same actions and same results.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:25 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

13th - you're intelligent enough to see the solution. Do something different today. Don't think "man, I can't drink for the rest of my life". Worry about that later. Hit a meeting tonight instead of the grocery store for your beer. Just today. Worry about tomorrow tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:29 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Good morning!

Nathan is home with my parents. He asked me to go to an NA meeting tonight so, that is my plan. Last night was all about him and his daughter. It was heartfilling to watch. He has a tough road ahead of him with consequences and paying restitution. He seems ready to tackle these issues.

Happy Friday people!! Have an awesomely awesome day!!
Old 06-01-2018, 06:30 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

June 1, 2018
– NATIONAL DOUGHNUT DAY
– NATIONAL LEAVE THE OFFICE EARLY DAY
– NATIONAL SAY SOMETHING NICE DAY
– NATIONAL NAIL POLISH DAY
– NATIONAL GO BAREFOOT DAY
– NATIONAL OLIVE DAY
– NATIONAL HEIMLICH MANEUVER DAY
– NATIONAL PEN PAL DAY
– NATIONAL HAZELNUT CAKE DAY
Old 06-01-2018, 06:31 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Thought for the Day

Some things I do not miss since becoming dry: that overall awful feeling physically, including the shakes, a splitting headache, pains in my arms and legs, bleary eyes, fluttering stomach, droopy shoulders, weak knees, a three day beard, and a flushed complexion. Also, facing my wife or my husband at breakfast. Also, composing the alibi and sticking to it. Also, trying to shave or put on make up with a shaky hand. Also, opening up my wallet to find it empty. I don't miss these things, do I?

Meditation for the Day

You were born with a spark of the Divine within you. It had been all but smothered by the life you were living. That celestial fire has to be tended and fed so that it will grow eventually into a real desire to live the right way. By trying to do the will of God, you grow more and more in the new way of life. By thinking of God, praying to Him, and having communion with Him, you gradually grow more like Him. The way of your transformation from the material to the spiritual is the way of Divine Companionship.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may tend the spark of the Divine within me so that it will grow. I pray that I may be gradually transformed from the old life to the new life.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:35 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

13th - you're intelligent enough to see the solution.
Am I? I often question that and have a hard time chalking it up to the clutches of addiction no matter how real they are. I still willingly choose to drink.

Wonderful to hear about Nathan's reunion and going to NA tonight. You're such a positive role model for him and his daughter.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:57 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Good morning!

Nathan is home with my parents. He asked me to go to an NA meeting tonight so, that is my plan. Last night was all about him and his daughter. It was heartfilling to watch. He has a tough road ahead of him with consequences and paying restitution. He seems ready to tackle these issues.

Happy Friday people!! Have an awesomely awesome day!!
Beautiful. Happy-making. Huge smile. ♥♥♥