Notices

Class of May 2018 Part One

Old 05-04-2018, 07:40 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Day 3

Hi Tomboyfemme and BDTL! Welcome, I just joined too! On Day 3.

Hi Striver, nice to meet you!

Manta, let's support each other! The struggle of the laptop and the wine is real.

SurvivorK hang in there!

Old 05-04-2018, 07:43 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

wow so many posts already for may x i am still here and sober and helping out my daughter with her first baby. She is still getting over labour and the baby boy is nearly 4 days old. This is my first proper chance to get back on here as i have been bz helping.

Hope everyone is doing well and i will have to pop in say hi to the april bunch i was in with if some are not here aswell .

keep it easy and keep fighting the fight of being sober x
Old 05-04-2018, 08:45 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Just checking in.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:12 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Day 6 - a week ago I was buzzin... slurring words... and today I'm sober, thanks be to God.

Yes, I am still emotional, still craving, still trying to justify if I can try drinking again, but my will and spirit is persevering against the little devil on my shoulder.

Welcome TypeA, MantaLady - wine is my tool for relaxation, my go to, so I get it. BOLT 16 hours sober, awesome!
Bluedog97- Day 3 for you!
Striver- keep going - I totally get the cravings and urges, I have them bad, just want to take the edge off! Why can't I do it like a normal person. That buzz is short and the bad effects that are longggg way outlast that buzz. That's what I have to remember. To the person that commented on the buzz, so true!

Tomboyfemme- 16 hours, keep going, keep going. I remember last Friday, laying there, shaking, withdrawals, wanting to crawl into a hole, never thinking I could redeem myself. One week - what a difference. I'm praying for another blessed week, thanks to all of you!

Hi ProfessprD - thank you so much for encouraging me, for MantaLady encouraging me, it helped so much yesterday! all of you for your words! Everyone.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:16 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Welcome Erratic!!! Look forward to supporting you!

Old 05-04-2018, 10:34 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Hope everyone is doing ok?

Day 5 and not sure how I feel emotionally, I am not happy or sad just feel a little like someone has pressed pause on my remote control, a bit numb. I went out this morning and got some healthy food for the fridge, walked past all the wine and wasn't tempted to buy any so that was good. Saying that I have caught my mind a few times today tricking me into thinking a drink would be nice, a fleeting and brief thoughts. I absolutely know it won't be "nice" and most definatley not going to give in. I have also felt a little grumpy today and only realised when out and about that lots of little things were getting me annoyed that shouldn't, not sure if that is part of the process but it felt a little OTT to feel so grumpy over silly and pretty insignificant happenings.

I watched a documentary today recommended on here on a post called Rain In my Heart and another about the US news presenter Elizabeth Vargas. The first one was tough going and I think in way rather than being inspired I am actually a little angry that I will never be able to drink again. I feel like a little kid being told I can't do something and I am sulking about it...really embarrased thinking this way as I know better and on top of being annoyed at everything else I am now annoyed at myself for thinking like this!

I am not going to drink today! I want to have a good nights sleep and wake up without a hangover. I won't let myself down! Tomorrow is another day and I just need to hang on till then and start a fresh.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:01 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, thanks for the support. I type on my phone so it’s hard to respond to everyone individually, but thanks for the support. I look forward to leaning on y’all and feel free to on me as well.

I had a relative die so it’s a sad chaotic time. I’ve got to deal with my family which stresses me out. But I plan on being sober, no doubt. I’ve run for too long. They don’t exactly give me much emotional support, so I may be leaning on SR.

I gave up golf BDTL, but I get the addiction to it. It got too expensive for me.

Here’s a pat on the back for everyone staying sober today. We all know how hard it is, including me.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:14 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hey whats up everyone.

Sober here. Glad to see everyone.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:18 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Condolences, bluedog97.
Take care of yourself.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:03 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Originally Posted by bluedog97 View Post
Hello everyone, thanks for the support. I type on my phone so it’s hard to respond to everyone individually, but thanks for the support. I look forward to leaning on y’all and feel free to on me as well.

I had a relative die so it’s a sad chaotic time. I’ve got to deal with my family which stresses me out. But I plan on being sober, no doubt. I’ve run for too long. They don’t exactly give me much emotional support, so I may be leaning on SR.

I gave up golf BDTL, but I get the addiction to it. It got too expensive for me.

Here’s a pat on the back for everyone staying sober today. We all know how hard it is, including me.
Sorry about you family loss. Hang in there buddy
Old 05-04-2018, 02:31 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

At 8pm tonight I out of the blue decided I couldn't sit here and dwell any longer and remembered the pool 20 minutes away from me would be open till 9:30...grabbed a bag and drove to the pool and went swimming for the first time in more than 7 years. Feel so much better for it and proud I got off my butt and did it.

Have a super weekend everyone!
Old 05-04-2018, 03:17 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hello everyone,

Glad to be here. Day 6 for me, I never want to feel how I did Sunday morning ever again. Looking forward to a long sober weekend off work. Going to get out in the garden and do something productive. As well as spending time with my wife and child.

Funny how our brains work, I was walking along the river Thames this afternoon, sun shining and there were people everywhere enjoying a few drinks.
Suddenly got a little craving “wouldn’t that be nice” I thought. Until I realised I wouldn’t want just a couple.

So glad to be at home, sober, guilt free and looking forward to a few days off.

Best wishes to you all this May.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:43 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss bluedog

welcome Tomboyfemme & Quit290117

welcome to you too Erractic and congrats ion the birth of your grandchild!

D
Old 05-04-2018, 05:27 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I need to join this class. Flunked out of the March class unfortunately. Last drink was Monday. The weather has finally shifted here. My longest sober stretches always began this time of year. Being able to get outside more has always been beneficial to remaining sober.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:41 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome wasting life

D
Old 05-04-2018, 11:15 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
meaner than my demons

Phone pinged "day 1" at midnight Thanks for the welcomes.

Things aren't as bleak tonight. I've gotten some rest and have put together a plan to become the person I've always wanted to be.

stay strong and determined everyone.

Manta, a swim sounds fantastic
Old 05-05-2018, 02:36 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Morn all, just have a few minutes just now to be on.

still sober and still so bz so guess that has put away any thoughts of drink just now.

Manta good on you for going swimming, something different or old things we used to do is great to try to restart doing again.

welcome and well done on everyone who is still trying to be sober x
Old 05-05-2018, 03:26 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Finalround View Post
I've been married for 18 years. Love my wife. She loves me. We have great family and friends around us. There has always been drinking. Whenever I try to stop, there's lots of "teasing". My wife always tells me how proud she is when I commit to not drinking for extended periods of time. But the tension becomes palpable. She starts to crank up her drinking when I stop. We don't talk. The communication stops. When I have a drink, which leads to many, and she is all too willing to run out and grab me a bottle, the world becomes whole again. Everyone is happy. Except me. I hate the feeling of the loss of control.
I recently posted a question about asking my wife not to drink at home. Even the vets and hardliners here vehemently said "no", not fair to ask her to change. When I read posts of others complaining of partners drinking habits, the responses seem to be, "their problem, they need to fix it."
I'm not leaving my wife. I'm not leaving my family. I need and want to be sober. I am completely alone sober. This is the quagmire of my struggle. It's almost as if to truly find sobriety, I need to be somewhere else. A new place, a new start, away from the "norm".
My friends and family have been close for 40 years. I cannot just "find new sober friends and family". Or a new wife.
I don't think your wife is really supporting your sobriety. I knew someone who bought Thier partner wine and they ended up dead and buried. Bye bye. Sorry just had to tell you that story.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:36 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Sorry if I was a bit harsh. I am 50 and have seen a lot. Not implying you leave your wife.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:39 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I would love to join this group. 4 days sober tomorrow. Welcome to everyone especially professor I would love to have stopped drinking at yours age. Looking forward to meeting everyone. It is 9pm here so bedtime.