Class of May 2018 Part One

Old 05-19-2018, 06:31 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Great job Sober81 xx
Old 05-19-2018, 07:08 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober81 View Post
Night everyone, Day 6 is officially in the bag. Bring on day 7! I've got a day of video games and R&R lined up..
Congrats, I am currently on day 7. Lots of cleaning and playing with my littles
Enjoy the video games and relaxation.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:54 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Great to see everyone here this morning! It's been a great hangover-free Saturday so far. Tomorrow is one full week (the first full week in probably years) and with my credit cards out of reach, getting through the week shouldn't be a problem. BUT, I'm visiting my parents next weekend, and staying out of their minibar at night is going to be a real challenge.
But, that's a worry for another day. Today, I'm going to enjoy the lack of nausea and headache, the normal colored skin, and the lack of guilt over the night before.
I know this reads as a little Pollyanna, but the longer I go without booze, the brighter my mindset is.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:03 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

PS, I'm proud of everyone, whether you're at day 1 or day 17. Being willing to acknowledge you have a problem and TRY to make your life better is such a big deal. It took me such a long time to acknowledge the problem and I'm proud of everyone who is here and who is being honest and vulnerable right now. We can do this!
Old 05-19-2018, 01:26 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Lipstuck—very well said. One minute. One craving-conquered at a time. Just for today. Just for this second—squash the demon voice that lies to us!!

We are all trying and have each other. We, we understand. Bring it on here!
Old 05-19-2018, 01:27 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  
formerly luvSOBERlife

Congratulations everyone here. You are all inspiration to me and I need all I can get.

I'm on my 2nd day being sober in 8 months. Made it 30 days last time around but found an excuse of course and picked up right where I left off. Downing a half-gallon of vodka in 2 days was not uncommon. A fifth was never enough. I have no idea why my liver is as healthy as it is but I'm sure I've done some damage. Lately the universe has been trying hard to tell me it's time to quit drinking forever.

I'm the only son of a lifelong alcoholic who never beat his addiction demon and it eventually killed him. Long ago I vowed never to be that way and then I allowed it to start happening. Clearly, I am becoming physically and emotionally dependent on alcohol. I am completely certain that if I ever have even one drink, I will soon pick up where I left off. Addiction and alcohol will kill me if I allow it. I will not let that happen.

SR forums are fantastic and have helped me so much already. Hearing all of your stories has really helped me understand my problem even more. I know what I am and that I cannot hide from it anymore. THANK YOU so much for sharing your stories and experiences. You saved my life.

Best of luck to everyone. YOU have the power to stay sober and so do I. Be proud of yourselves for what you are doing. This takes an incredible amount of self-awareness and courage and most people have neither. Have pity for those who continue to poison themselves with alcohol. Be disgusted by it. Don't miss it. Ever.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:10 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome luvSOBERlife
have a good sober weekend everyone

D
Old 05-19-2018, 03:50 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

The AV won last night. Dang it.

Some of you saw my first post and responded about the powerful nature so it may come as no surprise that I took my mom out for a late Mother's Day celebration....and ended up buying a bottle for the remainder of the night.

I was craving it already so I ate more than usual because that will sometimes satisfy the craving. Things were going good until she mentioned a cousin of mine who's dying. Asked me if I remembered him. Ummm, yeah, he molested me when I was 5 and I told you and we discussed it when I was 7. Then he came to live with us for a year or so when I was 14. Yes, I remember him.....he was the first relative to sexually abuse me, out of 4. Naturally, good ol AV was right there to say all the things I like to hear.

I came home and fought it for 2 hours then caved.

I did do a couple of things differently though. I bought a regular size bottle rather than enough to cause blackout. I got it right before my husband had to use the car to go to work so I had no way to get more. Single car fam. I also felt different. Drank it slowly and mindfully waiting to see how I truly felt after each glass. Better? Not really. By the end all I felt was sleepy. Still had the same frame of mind. Same memories.
So what was the point?

I won't feel guilty or remorseful cause I know through prior experience that guilt only makes me want to drink again...more. I try to see things through the eyes of a student. A student of life.

Definite progress made. I've gone from drinking more than a bottle a night to only drinking twice this month! I'm really proud of that. REALLY proud. I understand that a lot of peeps on here won't think it's anything to be proud of... but it's pretty incredible to me.

Getting healthier and wiser everyday. Living and learning. Onto bigger and brighter things
Old 05-19-2018, 03:57 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you drank and I'm sorry for the bad memories rjerkes.
Do you have a recovery action plan?

D
Old 05-19-2018, 04:32 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Hi May class!

I'm a bit late to this rodeo, but I know it won't matter. I am a member of the March class, too, but have had an occasional glass of wine over the past month and a half. I recently realized how ridiculous that is and before I fall too far down that slippery slope, I decided to also join this class as I feel I need a more active class right now while I am feeling so "wobbly".

So I have recommitted to not dipping my toe in the water of the occasional glass and am starting a new.

Thanks and I look forward to "meeting" everyone.

LHW
Old 05-19-2018, 05:05 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

rjerkes we can all relapse at any point which is what makes this disease so terrible. You have nothing to be ashamed of, thats a massive reduction in alcohol consumption you've achived already.

hanks MantaLady, Bumblebee2 & others. Day 7 is here and I'm feeling SO much better today.

Hope everyone is doing well today/tonight.
Will check in this evening..
Old 05-19-2018, 07:11 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry you drank and I'm sorry for the bad memories rjerkes.
Do you have a recovery action plan?

D
Thank u Dee74. I do lots of things. Therapy, medication, prayer, meditation, self help books, journaling, reading the bible, having lots of pets (lol), and being honest on a cpl of websites. This one included. I have some pretty major trust issues so AA is not for me currently. But I am working on believing that not EVERYONE wants something sinister or perverted from me. My circle is pretty tight though.
So for now, I just take one day at a time and thank God everyday for the amazing people that have helped me overcome. I know I have so many incredible blessings and I don't take them for granted. I appreciate everything every day
Old 05-19-2018, 07:15 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Validation means so much

[QUOTE=Sober81;6901365]rjerkes we can all relapse at any point which is what makes this disease so terrible. You have nothing to be ashamed of, thats a massive reduction in alcohol.

Thank u so much Sober81. That means a lot to me. Truly
Old 05-19-2018, 07:21 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

rjyerkes - drinking only twice in a month after drinking a bottle a night is quite an accomplishment in my eyes.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:29 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome LHW
congrats on your week sober81!

Fair enough rjyerkes

but if you or anyone else want some more plan ideas this link is great:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ery-plans.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)
Old 05-19-2018, 11:14 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

7:15am here...

Morning / Evening all

Day 12 for me today and I hit my first group session last night, an NA meeting. I'm not really sure on my thoughts, I was so tired and anxious by the time I got there that I've decided I'll go 3 times to decide if it's for me or not, everyone was very friendly and supportive but I did feel anxious all sat in the big circle openly discussing everything. Anyway I'll go to the same one next Sat night and see if I get a better feel for it...

I'm really looking forward to today! Everytime I've stopped drinking in the past I sit and make plans to get out and try new things yet all Ive done for years now is "make plans", never acting them out, I sit and work at home then drink, work and drink, my whole life has been so consumed by alcohol much more than I realised... So, this time round I've made sure I'm putting the plans into action immediately to try and avoid relapse!
This morning I'm heading up to a small town in the Lake District called Ambleside which is on lake Windermere and I'm going Kayaking with one of my closest friends, we'll then have a good walk around and have a nice lunch out whilst we're there. I'm loving this weekend, fresh, sober, getting out and actually LIVING rather than existing!

Not much else to say really, rushing about to get ready now so I'll leave it there. I have some catching up on reading back on posts so I'll do that when I get home later.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend and I wish everyone peace, hope and strength!

If someone told me a couple of weeks ago I'd not drink for this long, feel this good and be going Kayaking at the weekend I'd of either laughed or cried in their face whilst throwing up, hallucinating, shaking, sweating, and sipping some disgusting alcoholic drink trying to wean myself down... and in a house that looked like it had been burgled it was such a mess!!!!!

WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!

K x
Old 05-19-2018, 11:40 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  
Administrator

for those new to the group threads...we usually close them at about 500 posts - it stops them from being too unwieldy.

We continue on tho - with part 2!

join us here

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-2-a.html

D