Notices

Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 12

Old 05-26-2018, 11:32 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Great job John!
Friday night's were always the sticky one for me. You'll feel great in the morning. Hangover free weekend mornings are just the best!
Juggling you say? Yeah I seem to have several plates spinning constantly!
Now my challenge for this morning is to somehow fit a shower at the gym in take Melly to a party at 9am and pack for next week. Did I mention our boiler is dead? Yep no hot water until Tuesday. That with teenage daughters has been a challenge!
I'm leaving Hannah at home for the first time ever when I take Melly to my parents today. I will be away 1 night. She's a sensible girl (as 16 year olds go!) but I'm still a little nervous. Still, she could do with a break after all the exam stress and letting go of the reigns a little bit feels like the right thing to do.
Have a great day all!
Old 05-27-2018, 02:12 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hello Mayflies and Dee and Hello John and HC I don't think we've met before...

Sim...great to see your post. I admire you for your strength and resilience sweetheart.

Life is good here at my neck of the woods, been to Germany to see my family and just now completing (!) my training course this coming week. Then it's back to job hunting... we finally have internet in the building we're getting ready to move into. I had tears in my eyes as I've been waiting for this moment for a V E R Y long time, and now it's soooo close

Congrats on your sugar sobriety Arp. This is still something I'm struggling with. So you're my inspiration

Hey Jo, have a good time at your mums!

Guys... today it's been 2 years that I've joined SR and met you on this thread.
2 years sober, blimey, I'm really proud of it.

From all the wonderful advice and help I found on SR 2 things have stuck in my mind..what ever happens, alcohol is not an option...and...I want to be sober more than I want that drink.

2 years ago I kept busy all day by sawing and cutting down a very overgrown hedge and I've watched it grow back over time. And a little bit like my recovery it needs tweaking from time to time.

Sim, John and HC, hang in there, it is doable and you can do it too.

Have a good and sober Sunday everyone.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:09 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Oh Elke wow! 2 years!!!!!!!!
That is just simply wonderful!
Huge congratulations darling ❤❤❤
Old 05-27-2018, 03:32 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Elke, there you are! Was about to loose the hounds to track you down...but I did remember something about a complicated online course having to do with your complicated technical job that's entirely beyond my comprehension, so I was leaving you alone to study. I knew you had to be coming up on two years, being (I believe) the only one of the original Mayflies that kept sober from the start of this thread. Sincere and heartfelt congratulations, my German shepherd friend with the odd husband!

I'm plodding along through my sugar free existence, still dreaming of potato-stuffed pasta, learning to get over my fear of vegetables (oh no, carbs!) and strike some sort of healthy balance in my diet. No cake, but I ate two apples this week, and I didn't need an insulin injection, so I'm leaning a bit toward more veg and occasional fruit, and less bacon and chicken skin and sausage. That old "moderation" concept comes to mind again; not my strong suit!

We skipped Spring and plunged directly into Summer this past week (average temps of 85F / 29.4C) so I've been a sweaty old codger with something new to complain about, just what our village needs! The tourists have descended like a plague of locusts to kick off the season, so I blend right in with the other sweaty locals bitching about the traffic and the long lines at all the stores...gee, I should work for the Chamber of Commerce, I paint such an inviting picture...

They'll all stay off my lawn if they know what's good for 'em!

Arp
Old 05-27-2018, 03:52 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Elke - 2 years is amazing
Proud of you!
D
Old 05-28-2018, 12:16 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hahaha! All is well in the world when grumpy git Arp pops by!
I have fallen off the diet wagon a touch since his lordship has come back. We went out for a huge Indian meal on Friday and I seem to struggle to get back on the wagon once I let the bad food in. Sheesh! Back home to my routine and hopefully healthy eating again this morning. I'll pop to the gym later. A bit of a treadmill power walk and a shower. Mainly the shower to be honest! I'm not having another ice cold one it was bloody awful!
I hate leaving Melly behind in the holidays. My little cutie pie! She still likes coming to nanna and grandad's so it is really very handy for childcare. No doubt she will face time me every day so technology saves the day!
Big drive back on my own. I'll fill my Costa mug with caffeine lushness to keep me going!
Have a great day all xxx
Old 05-28-2018, 03:23 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Well here I am again. Ended up in hospital last night and I can't move now I stuck in bed. Not a good look when an ambulance turns up in front of all the neighbours. My Mrs thought I was going to die. So with tail firmly between legs I return.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:39 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Sorry for where you find yourself, Ben. But you're lucky to have a wife who still cares enough to call an ambulance, and sometimes we have to fall flat on our faces before we can get back up and try something different. As long as your fingers are working, you can hang out with us and get some support! Let's not drink today!!
Old 05-28-2018, 09:48 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Ben you don't need to have your tail between your legs or feel one tiny bit of shame returning. I'm just glad you're back and safe.
It doesn't have to get any worse than it is now. Now can be the end it all.
God I hate what that poison does to us.
I'm in Arp let's not drink today!
Old 05-28-2018, 10:03 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Ben take care of yourself and I hope you can stay healthy and away from hospitals. It feels good to feel the natural high that comes after your body adjusts from putting the booze down for good. I hope you can feel your body thanking you soon. You can do this!
Old 05-28-2018, 12:46 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Thanks guys...

Oh dear Ben, I'm sorry you're unwell and in hospital. Time to reflect...
I hope you're better soon.

I hear you Arp, it's half term here and the tourist are here. I made one revers his car for me the other day, on a very narrow lane. I had to google old codger Arp... "used affectionately to refer to an eccentric but amusing old man". Bless you! I'm dead impressed with how you're getting on with your healthy eating. Can you send me some sugar free vipes please or better a sugar free kick up my backside to get me going again.

I'm with you guys, no drinking today. Good night from a very warm Wales (I love it)
Old 05-28-2018, 01:35 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Day 1 done. Thanks for the support guys. The Mrs had to call an ambulance again today. What a mess. Gotta take some time off work. . I've been shaking like a leaf all day.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:51 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Please have your wife keep a close eye on you; sudden withdrawal from heavy drinking can be life threatening (not to scare you, but just watch yourself, man...)

Shaking can sometimes become convulsions, and you don't want that. But the good part: you never have to go through this shite again...keep us posted.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:03 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Oh Ben I'm so sorry. It's just the worst. Arp is right if you can avoid being alone and if your symptoms deteriorate please get help. Take care Ben xxx
Old 05-28-2018, 05:11 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for what happened but I'm really glad you're back Ben.
Things like that have a way of resolving the do I really need to quit question.
D
Old 05-29-2018, 12:31 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Morning all. Ben how did your night go?
I'll be around most of the day if you need any support. You don't have to go through this alone
Old 05-29-2018, 08:02 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Not bad jo I went to the doctors this morning and got some diazepam . Day 2 nearly over. Been in bed all day apart from that. And I've got the week off work. So we will see how things go
Old 05-29-2018, 10:10 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Oh that's good you've got medication I am relieved! This is your time now Ben
Old 05-30-2018, 01:07 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Morning all!
Busy day ahead. I could really do with a house fairy to come over and sprinkle the place with magic cleaning dust! Okay so maybe getting out of bed might help!
Big girls pants going on and time for action!
I feel so light and happy inside now that things are better with the bf. He is really being a super sweetie pie right now. Yeah I know it's only been a week but I can feel a change. From us both. I think the "break" was perhaps needed. Not so much the break but the talk and action that followed. Hey being a grown up actually feels good! Who knew?!
Hope you drop by today Ben. Warts and all we are here for you. Withdrawal sucks to sucksville. You are in my thoughts and I really hope that this is the last time you ever have to endure this again. It can be you know! Dee and his sobriety plans are absolutely essential Ben. Now is the time to start the work. I too had a week off when I hit some serious withdrawals. Maybe in a day or 2 you might feel up to writing a plan. The blog function here is good for that. Or your own thread. Or run things by us here. Hey good old pen and paper if you like!
I initially focussed on a list of emergency measures to prepare for when the cravings hit. You know they will. Leave no stone unturned and be brutally honest with yourself about your risk situations. You have a lying deceitful addiction inside you Ben. We all do. The authentic you has the ultimate power of choice. The choice to never lift a glass of poison and put it to your lips. NO MATTER WHAT.
If you need support we are here. Post or message any of us Ben. Day or night.
Same goes out to any of our Mayfly who may be lurking.
Have a great day all ❤❤❤
Old 05-31-2018, 01:16 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Well it didn't go well yesterday guys. Sorry I had a drink. The pain in my back is so bad. I've let myself down. I will try again