Notices

Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 12

Old 08-24-2018, 12:52 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Stepping up as a parent is the biggest gift of sobriety for me Eagle. They need more than our love. Support, guidance, consistency.......I now realise that these things are just as important.
Awwwwww.......a ribbon how cute!
Old 08-24-2018, 05:27 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Yeah Jo, it's amazing how in drinking we fool ourselves into thinking that our intentions are most important and our actions secondary. I always thought of myself one way (well I was going to do this or that with the kids, I really wanted to do this but was hungover, etc) but being present and in the moment is a great gift to be able to give them. Our time and energy

His ribbon did say #1...the three year old and the 16 month old were very jealous!!
Old 08-27-2018, 02:37 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Hey, Mayflies! Pretty big news from up here in Moose Junction: it finally rained! The weeds in my yard have really taken off nicely, and humidity is off the charts...

This weekend is Labor Day in the US, which celebrates...um...well, we're not really sure what it's for, besides another excuse for a three day weekend of backyard grilling and increased beer sales. Traditionally, it also marks the end of the summer vacation season, when the kiddies go back to school and the tourists pack up their RV's and their boats and their fireworks and head south. Buh-bye, drive fast!

(No, I jest; we love them; well, okay, we love their debit cards...)

And church returns to one service on Sundays. Which means I have to start looking at Christmas music. Hallowe'en candy started showing up in store displays three weeks ago. Time flies when you're old!

And so ends my weekly report. I hope this finds all of you well and sober. Peace and love and all that junk...
Old 08-29-2018, 01:19 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Ello Folks Figured I pop in and say hello. Currently on Day 2 with no real struggle thanks to my last "swearing off alcohol" hangover. I know it's time to stop. Would love to just "get it under control" but I've been here enough times to know that just isn't possible for me. At best, this is the worse I have ever been. I'm actually nervous about stopping....I'm waiting to start seizing but so far so good. No tremors or what not so that's gotta be good, right? Penn state game this coming Saturday will be a major temptation. One day at a time I suppose.
-Simples

Last edited by Simplicity4114; 08-29-2018 at 01:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-29-2018, 01:40 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Simples - Hello, old friend. Always happy to see you post. Every time I started drinking again, it ended up being the worst time. Progressively, so to speak! Until it finally got bad enough. I tried every moderation technique I could think of, even "I'll only get drunk when I visit my friends in Kentucky, never in Michigan." Phhhhhtt...I'm sold on the idea that I'm done, or else I'm suicidal, those are my only two choices left.

So strap yourself in, watch out for the shakes, and get through the day. Then do the same thing tomorrow. Maybe on Friday, you can start planning game day food and beverages, but you're pretty smart, you know they'll play even if you don't try drinking yourself to death! Much love and all the support you can use -- Arp

Last edited by Arpeggioh; 08-29-2018 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Really poor emoji choices, just not working for me...
Old 08-30-2018, 06:41 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

One day at a time Simplicity...you definitely know the drill. Wash, rinse, and repeat. You have periods of good sobriety before so you at least have something to lean back on at the beginning.

You may want to try and go back to our original May 2016 thread if you get some time. I did that the other day and amazing some of the memories and time/place feelings that came back. In some of the more recent threads Jo mentioned the power of using this thread just as journaling if nothing else...that makes a lot of sense now as nothing like using your own words to put things into context.

Penn St game should be fun. Not going to lie, some of the festivities of the football season just not as fun for me without the alcohol but I enjoy watching the actual games just as much and bonus I remember them much better these days. LSU this Sunday and Saints next weekend!

Glad things are getting back to normal Arp and you're ridding yourselves of the tourists (but keeping their cash...lol). Halloween candy...wow, that time already?
Old 08-30-2018, 11:46 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Hey Sim, I'm glad you've pressed the 'Reset' button. Great to have you back!

Our tourist are leaving too Arp. Less traffic and less reversing down the lanes for them and then get sworn at 'effing farmers'...
Old 08-30-2018, 12:12 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Oh how wonderful to see you back Sim!

I have no doubt that you have got what it takes to get through this difficult withdrawal period. Every day you can get your head on that pillow sober each night is a huge victory and (for now) needs to be the only thing that matters. Forget the housework, the diet, the family even. You are fighting to get your life back sweetheart.
Stay close to is if it helps and post BEFORE you go bat crazy with cravings. It's never a done deal Sim. Only you can leave your home, go to shop, buy poison, bring poison home, put poison to your lips and take a gulp. We are all right by your side to make sure you never do that again. Ever.
Lots of love and support ❤❤❤
Old 08-31-2018, 12:18 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Wishing you all a good and sober weekend
Old 08-31-2018, 03:50 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Sim - Happy weekend everyone

D
Old 09-02-2018, 07:33 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Nice win yesterday for PSU Simplicity...exciting game even if a little closer than you probably wanted

Hope everyone is having a great sober weekend and planning on enjoying the extra day off for those in the States!
Old 09-07-2018, 12:03 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Just checking in.... I hope everyone is doing well. There is always great insight here so I have to stop by more often!

I quit the green stuff about a week ago...and I'm so glad I did. I can say I'm sober now instead of just alcohol free. I have a ton of energy and don't know what to do with myself, lol

Talk to you all soon, and have a great upcoming weekend.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:36 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Well done SOI, that's fantastic. You have a good weekend too.

Unfortunately I don't have any great news. My BIL has been in hospital since May. It's not looking good...

Have a good weekend everyone X
Old 09-07-2018, 01:24 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Thinking of you, Elke, through the difficult days, and wishing you courage.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:04 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Elke - prayers for you your BIL and your family

D
Old 09-07-2018, 04:31 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Prayers for your BIL and for you and your family Elke...that sounds rough. God speed.

Good to see you SOI...being sober physically feels great and my body never wished it was hungover. Too much energy and looking for something to do can feel overwhelming but a great trade on the problem spectrum! Getting to know our sober selves again (or discovering it for the first time) is interesting for sure and can lead to a lot of trial and error, but you eventually figure it out given enough time.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old 09-08-2018, 11:07 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear Elke, prayers to the family.

Thanks for the support guys.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:02 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Oh, it looks like I've killed the conversation.... sorry about that. Hope you're all well and enjoying sobriety.

I'm in Germany with my family...

My thoughts and prayers are with the people in the hurricane effected areas on our planet.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:40 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Glad you're with family, Elke, but sorry for what brings you all together.

No, we've been a lazy swarm of Mayflies lately, at least I have. Even when I don't have any news, I can usually manage to babble on for a couple of paragraphs. I have been talking this group up on the main forums lately, however, gushing about what a difference this thread has made for me this time around. I haven't even maintained sobriety since May 2016, but this is still home for me. Seems a good time to shout out to some original posters I think of often: Simplicity - Tootiesdad - Ben
We'd love to hear from you if you're lurking about...

I'm only a day or two away from marking a year and a half sober, which has a nice ring to it. Almost time to start working on other improvements...yep, right after my nap...

Hey, Jo: you're about to get a concerned email from me (yes, I save everything in my "sent" folder) if we don't hear from you soon. Indulge my paranoid nature and drop us a line or two...

Peace, y'all -- Arp
Old 09-14-2018, 02:03 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Good morning gang.
I'm so sorry I've been MIA for a while. The good news is that I have my sobriety totally intact despite the challenges we are currently facing. In fact I would go so far as to say that my sobriety is more important than ever.
Things with Hannah took a sudden nose-dive early last week to the point that she couldn't leave the house for fear of the dreadful anxiety feelings she was having. We were facing the prospect of her having to leave college at one point and it was just dreadful.
Anyway fast forward a private psychotherapist, NHS counselling, exercise, good food and some mild medication and she seems to have turned the corner for now.
We are still learning each day what helps and what doesn't. For example long lay-ins on a morning might feel nice for a while but she gets up in a state so we have to be up with a plan for every day. The things that help her are remarkably similar to those that help us in early recovery. Of course her and I are talking openly and I hope that continues. There is a part of me that feels that this may end up making her a better person for this. She is no longer able to be the moody inactive teen she was and it is a good thing if you think about it.
It is still a day at a time strategy (bit like us yes?) and we have ups and downs but she has achieved so much in the last couple of weeks. Going to college, got a place on the netball team and has got a new little job waiting tables at a restaurant near home. I'd say so far so good tentatively...……….
Through all of this I myself have been very up and down. It's tough managing my own depression without my worst fear for one of my girls coming to fruition too. But I am sober and pretty capable despite my mental health. So all in all things are good.

Sorry again if anyone was worrying. I am trying to get back to my SR life again. Lots of love