Notices

Class of April 2018 Part 2

Old 04-17-2018, 08:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Clark

I found the fear of facing such things was way greater than the reality.

When I forced myself to deal with hard things sober, not only did I get through the hard times, but I actually got more and more capable the more I did that

D
Old 04-17-2018, 08:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Day 4

4 hours sleep. Not great. Not as bad as yesterday. Eyes red raw and running through exhaustion.

Physical vulnerability is still there in heaps. Feeling tired, trembling and a bit anxious.

But I'm sober and that's the main thing.

Been here before. The road is so long ahead of me but I have been here before with far more success than this but far less success then what I require. One step at a time. One foot dragged in front of the other until I'm walking upright again.

The feeling of self loathing is still in every fibre of my being as I just see something utterly weak (physically, emotionally and spiritually) when I look at myself.

I think this thing might have me beat. Not because I want a drink today. But because I'm not sure where I'm stumbling to next and if I want to get there sober, drinking or otherwise.

I feel miserable.

I'm sorry this isn't as upbeat as people would like it to be. It's more a daily blog of how I feel.

JT
Old 04-17-2018, 09:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Chin up tony .. Everyday you will
Feel abit better ! And just think in a week or so you can hit that gym and get back to where u were before .... Fight for it !
Day 2 . Feeling ok ! Busy day ahead !
Old 04-17-2018, 10:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

^^ make sure you eat well, Tony - and everybody
Old 04-17-2018, 11:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Morning all, nice nutritious breakkie under my belt and now off to work. Have a great day all
Old 04-18-2018, 12:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Changed my plan alittle this time .
Get fit
Lose weight
Tone up
Keto diet .
20000 steps a day
But this time I'm not counting days I find it stresses me out lol
So my start of journey was my daughters birthday 17-4-18 a date I will never forget !
Old 04-18-2018, 01:06 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

07.52 a.m

Day 12.

Good morning April Shower

I hope you're all well and sober. I slept well last night, in fact maybe a bit heavily as I still feel a bit groggy, or is that brain fog? It's another grey and dismal looking morning out there but apparently the heat wave is due to start today, lol, so maybe later , or maybe not.
I've been quite productive this morning, fed and watered my 2 little budgies, noisy little pests they are and I've got a chicken casserole on the go in my slow cooker. Just having half an hour to myself now with a coffee now while I post.
I'm thinking about going for a bit of a power walk once I've got dressed, before the grandchildren come. Only thinking mind you, I've not got past that stage yet lol. I have the g. children 3 days per week during the holidays whilst their parents work. They keep me busy and that's good. The plan of action for today is for them to do a bit of crafting this morning, this painting pebbles malarkey is the big thing at the moment and then we're taking my mum out for lunch later. After that is anyone's guess.
Oh and I've started posting on the gratitude threads, morning gratitude and bedtime gratitude, as well as the 24 hr thread where I pledge to stay sober for another 24. I'm finding it quite helpful, sometimes I forget just how lucky I am and these are a good reminder.

Good morning Dee, or good evening should I be saying? I hope all is good with you.

Hi NT216, welcome to day 3 and thank you for sharing that inspiring post from Wibble. I've read posts here from people who have been sober for several years and I think I read that Dee himself has been sober for 11 yrs. How wonderful is that? I'm going to do that! Having a plan is a good idea, especially to get through weekends if that's your danger time.

Hi Rmeat, I'm glad you're feeling well, can't beat that feeling. Wow, I'm moaning about the U.K weather and you have ice storms! I can't imagine.
I'm sorry to read that your wife is grating on you, I'm not sure what to say about that one other than it's hard when you are together 24/7 and you both have your own issues to deal with as well. She's probably worrying about you relapsing too, it's a hard one to live with. I know I'm grating on my husband at the minute, partly because he's mad with me and partly because he's worried sick about me. I need to be patient and show him that I'm serious about staying sober. Stay safe in those storms.

Hi Turnip, good to read your post. I'm glad that your enjoying your class, you do sound super busy. Ha ha ha you miss understood Strawberries post, same as I did. She meant to say she was writing a plan, lol. I was very impressed at her writing a play! My husband isn't showing much sign of melting just yet but I'll continue to work on it, I know he's very disappointed in me. If only he knew that I beat myself up well enough for the both of us.

Hi Clark, well done on day 4 and I'm glad that you're feeling better. You're right to be thinking and planning for the weekend, do something, go somewhere different to the usual, anywhere where booze isn't involved. You will find eventually that you cope with family issues all the better for being sober.

G.morning JT, I'm sorry to read that you're still feeling lousy. Have you been to see your doctor at all? If not, it might be worth a visit, I don't know if it's a good idea, but maybe you could get some temporary/herbal medication to help you to sleep. The lack of sleep must be affecting your work and everyday life and you're sounding very down in the dumps. Do you have any other support other than S.R? How many days sober do you have now? Stay strong, you know you can do this but also know that there's no shame in asking for help when you need it. You need to be kind to yourself and look after yourself a bit better, listen to what your body is telling you. Eat good food, drink loads of water and rest when you need to. Take 10 minutes out of your busy work schedule just for yourself, even if you only sit and reflect or take a very quick walk round the block. 10 minutes won't break the bank.

Have a good day Strawberry, don't work too hard and well done on day 2. Love your plan of action by the way.

Hi Caramel, how's it going? I hope you are well.

G.morning Dean and have a great day yourself.

That's me done for now, I'd better go and get myself dressed before I get descended on by the little ones.

Oh and my pledge for today is......

Just for today I will be happy. I will not dwell on thoughts that will depress me. If my mind fills with clouds I will chase them away and fill it with sunshine.

Love to you all and I wish you the best Wednesday possible. x
Old 04-18-2018, 03:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Morn everyone x

Having a better day today, moods seem more stable, also tried some toast.
I am just sitting here watching a black and white movie which i love, just been out with the dogs and also put on washing my daughter asked me to do lol all the baby towels and blankets i bought for her. she says it saves her doing it all as she has enough to wash as it is. yup she is nesting lol she also asked how long and when we was coming down. I thought she understood that soon as she tells me she is in early labour we will head straight down and at the most will only be able to stay for maybe 5 days, as my mother will have my dogs and i cant leave my little critters for to long either. she was hoping that we could stay longer, but her dad has only 2 weeks off and its all a waiting game for when the baby arrives, could be tomo after her sweep by midwife or maybe next week when she will be 40wks, felt really bad and had to remind her that she moved far away and it will be hard to get down all the time. I did say however that if she wants me to stay longer i will but her dad will have to get back here. I wish i just lived around the corner from her.

Well day 9 sober and 89 smoke free.

It was also lovely reading everyone posts again, keep all your chins up high xx
Old 04-18-2018, 04:30 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi strawberry - that's a great start but if you don't mind a little advice?

have something in your plan about dealing with cravings, being around drinkers, etc. no matter how busy you make your life, those situations will come up .

Definitely evening Daisy - bedtime in fact - congrats on day 12
congrats on day 9 Erratic!

D
Old 04-18-2018, 04:35 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Good morning. Day 4 here. I was able to get some yoga in this morning which always makes for a good start to the day.
Part of my recovery plan includes podcasts. I like to listen to Sober Cast and Recovery Elevator. Yesterday on Recovery Elevator I listened to RE 129: No One Really Believed I Was An Alcoholic, Even When I Started Going To AA
OMgoodness did I relate to this guys story. I kept saying....Me Too!! It was amazing to feel such a connection to someone else's journey!! I am going to listen to it again today. I can learn so much from his story and ability to get sober.
It's going to be another busy day at work for me which is good. I like to stay busy. I don't even want to talk about the weather here. Winter is really hanging on and it just totally depresses me. I want to open windows and walk my dogs. I need it so bad right now. But mother nature just won't cooperate with me! lol

I hope everyone has a wonderful and sober day
Old 04-18-2018, 04:48 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good morning all!

Feeling good this morning, but a little tired. Woke up at 3:00 am and that has always been when my mind goes into “overdrive” with what needs done, things not done, when the sky is falling and that sorts! All good though, workout after work, then early to bed.
Daisybelle, hope you enjoy the grandkids today, I bet you are a wonderful Nanny(what my children called my mom)
Turnip, awesome you are so happy about your class! Wonderful you have something like that to focus on!! Hope it stays packed Dear one!!
Strawberry, sounds like you are ready to get your exercise on and that’s awesome!
JT, hope one day you get some sleep buddy!!
Sending love to everyone, have a great sober day
Old 04-18-2018, 08:35 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

hello all!

sounds like everyone is making it through the struggle
JT--have you tried melatonin? it gives you pretty weird dreams but it may help you regulate sleep cycles.

Daisy---YAY! on the bracelet. daisies are probably prettier than a string of cows on your wrist. although i am from the U.S. midwest and pigs and cows are prized here!

Strawberry--nice work! feels good, eh? i wondered if you were a writing a play for your daughter's friends to act out! LOL!!! five-years-old...that is a big girl! will she go to kindergarten in the fall? imagine if you stay sober through the summer and drop her off having a few months under your belt! that will feel so great!!!

love, viper, NT--hang in there. you will all start feeling better and stronger. you can do this. we are with you!

rmeat--i hear you about this weather. april 18 and it is snowing and sleeting here. i actually got tanning bed sessions (i never tan!) just to get some vitamin D and "sunshine" to combat this brutal spring.

turnip--i will look up the video. i love a good laugh and wild humor.

clark--great job! i can relate to the stress of family life. i was the last of 12 kids in a house where my parents fought a lot (drank a lot) and my siblings all drink a lot too. i would hide in the closet and read books or write stories. alcohol is such an easy escape, and it definitely takes the edge off of squabbling teenagers, which is what i have at home.

but what i have found since i have stopped drinking is that i can be more calm without the poison in my brain and system. i have good sleep and a better attitude. i actually feel calmer now in these situations than i did when i was drinking. i have been exercising more and inviting my kids to join me. that has helped too.

well, folks, on day 17. i have been reading a lot of posts of others who are really struggling with anxiety and binges and self-loathing. and that is what brought me here 17 days ago. i will never go back.

i posted a message in secular recovery as i have been reading more about AVRT. this seems to align with my approach so far.

to me, i have made a life choice. there is struggle, yes....
i just have no interest in going back there....

should i be feeling more weakness? not sure.
right now i am grateful that all i feel is strong and confident in the choices i am making.

have a great hump-day all!
Old 04-18-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 3trees View Post
hello all!

sounds like everyone is making it through the struggle
JT--have you tried melatonin? it gives you pretty weird dreams but it may help you regulate sleep cycles.

Daisy---YAY! on the bracelet. daisies are probably prettier than a string of cows on your wrist. although i am from the U.S. midwest and pigs and cows are prized here!

Strawberry--nice work! feels good, eh? i wondered if you were a writing a play for your daughter's friends to act out! LOL!!! five-years-old...that is a big girl! will she go to kindergarten in the fall? imagine if you stay sober through the summer and drop her off having a few months under your belt! that will feel so great!!!

love, viper, NT--hang in there. you will all start feeling better and stronger. you can do this. we are with you!

rmeat--i hear you about this weather. april 18 and it is snowing and sleeting here. i actually got tanning bed sessions (i never tan!) just to get some vitamin D and "sunshine" to combat this brutal spring.

turnip--i will look up the video. i love a good laugh and wild humor.

clark--great job! i can relate to the stress of family life. i was the last of 12 kids in a house where my parents fought a lot (drank a lot) and my siblings all drink a lot too. i would hide in the closet and read books or write stories. alcohol is such an easy escape, and it definitely takes the edge off of squabbling teenagers, which is what i have at home.

but what i have found since i have stopped drinking is that i can be more calm without the poison in my brain and system. i have good sleep and a better attitude. i actually feel calmer now in these situations than i did when i was drinking. i have been exercising more and inviting my kids to join me. that has helped too.

well, folks, on day 17. i have been reading a lot of posts of others who are really struggling with anxiety and binges and self-loathing. and that is what brought me here 17 days ago. i will never go back.

i posted a message in secular recovery as i have been reading more about AVRT. this seems to align with my approach so far.

to me, i have made a life choice. there is struggle, yes....
i just have no interest in going back there....

should i be feeling more weakness? not sure.
right now i am grateful that all i feel is strong and confident in the choices i am making.

have a great hump-day all!
Here in Greece she started school at 4 with her brothers ! Bus picks her up outside our house and drops her off!
She loves it... Only 5 kids in the class !
Very hot here today and I'm feeling back to normal now!
See you all tomorrow xx
Hope you get some sleep tony !
Old 04-18-2018, 08:56 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Phew- 1 week today!

Let me tell you-wasn't easy the first 3 days (physically). Now I'm getting that AV. The reason being is that I have to go to a baby shower this Sunday & don't know what to expect. It's my hubby's cousin's daughter-in-law. I don't know who will be there & if I'll have anyone to really talk to. I would have declined except I've declined to so many of his family's things because of my drinking. The AV voice is saying "pick up a nip or two before you go in". I get social anxiety with hubby side of family b/c I think they all know I'm an alcoholic. Yup that stigma. It sux because all the women are gossipers. Plus I've gained weight since most of them last saw me from drinking that it's making me feel self conscience. For now I'm trying not to think about it.

Boy that was a bummer-sorry. Sober today and that's what matters.

I just opened a Dove chocolate and my inspirational message inside said "We're all stories in the end, just make it a good one."

Have a great sober day!
Old 04-18-2018, 02:14 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

HI everyone,

Glad to see many of us posting and sataying sober one day at a time.

I will be going away for a few days. My husband has a business trip and I am taking 2 days off of work and joining him. I'm sure there will be alcohol around but I will never drink near him.

I will most likely not be on SR but will check in on Sunday.

I will be thinking of you all and wishing you all a sober end of week and weekend

Hugs xoxo
Old 04-18-2018, 02:45 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Day one again.

I hate even admitting that. But I need to to keep myself honest. Thank you for all the support.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:02 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

KG77 - it's ok. we have all been there many times. You can make this your last Day 1 and you will never have to say that again. Just take it one day at a time. And post here. We all care and understand.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:52 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Day 5

Just before 4am in the UK here. I managed about 4 hours sleep between 6pm and 2am, so the body clock is still shot to pieces - but on the upside 4 hours sleep, whilst not a lot and distinctly broken, was the best sleep I’ve had yet.

Tremors are subsiding now. Still slightly worse on the left side than the right side (does that mean anything?) Anxiety is definitely on the wane as well so I know I’m detoxing now and my body is thanking me.

I felt the first flickers of motivation this morning around getting back to the gym and hitting the weights hard. I’m going to prep my gym gear and charge up my iPod (yes I still have one of those old things I use to play music as I train). Tomorrow I’m planning 30 sets of weights in upper body... which might be a bit ambitious first day back but I’m a creature of extremes right?

Also giving some thought to having a look at a Buddhist meditation centre that is nearby. Maybe looking at something that calms my spirit is what I need? A lot of my beliefs are distinctly Buddhist anyway so perhaps this would be my “what are you going to do differently” approach this time?

Looking forwards now... still glancing backwards with shame and regret - but mainly turning my head around and fixing my eyes ahead.

Have a sober day everyone.

JT
Old 04-18-2018, 08:02 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hello, can I join your corner of sober recovery?
Was part of a sr intake group a couple of years ago ...did quite well with the no drinking for a while but it was a real mental effort to stay on the straight and narrow. Eventually fell off...sigh!

Anyway this time it’s for good and doing ok with will power, but getting into the danger zone again and would like to bounce off people when I feel vulnerable.

I stopped again last October and kept it going until Xmas week, thought I could handle a couple of beers, I couldn’t.
back hitting the wine within days and then vodka by the end of the week, hiding it from my wife...which is strange as I never really drank spirits before and never hid anything around the house..(obviously had some latent issues surfacing there)

Anyway back to this run of my recovery..I am approaching 100 days (96 days and counting) and although I haven’t been logged on I do check out SR daily as a guest and especially this thread. my mind is yet again playing tricks on me, making me forget the first few days and weeks and how bloody awful I felt and what it was doing to my family,.
You are all doing so well in this thread..some seem to have found it easier than others and some have had some personal tragedies happen at just the wrong time, but what amazes me are the people that have the resolve to start back at day one after a slip so soon...my slips lasted years...so to the truly hardass people that take the knocks and still have the resolve to pick themselves up, start again almost immediately, I salute you. You are an inspiration and the reason I log in everyday.

Hope it’s ok to stay as I really don’t want to fail again
Haris

Last edited by Haris2014; 04-18-2018 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Auto correct my name
Old 04-18-2018, 09:35 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Haris2014 and welcome back KG

congrats on day 5 justtony day 4 KGirl one week BreezyFe and day 17, 3 trees

Have a good sober break love hoops

hi Strawberry and Donnyb

D