Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 11

Old 02-27-2019, 05:53 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
waking down

I haven't read a novel in too long. Still working on my own, but very slowly. Reading mostly for information. I just work too much, and for the past week I've been ill, probably a virus, low energy, headache, nausea... Big fun. Pushing through... Looking forward to the outdoor music season!
Old 03-13-2019, 06:08 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Do you still do the dog show thing, Zero? Still gigging? And novelling, I see. Your health is OK? Spring is on the cusp, here. I've been pulled into novels by Sarah Waters. Fingersmith, A little Stranger, and now, The night Watch. Compelling reading. Period stuff. The night watch starts in 1947 in London, then follows characters backwards (young people) through their experience during the War. I so honour anything that can put me onto a couch, guiltessly, and take me to another time and place, and does not involve a screen or wifi. Reading into another person's imaginative construct is still thrilling for me. And, in this case, has had me start to use the word 'beastly'. to friends. The pen is so quite mighty! As is the aromatic, printed page. Definitely, Old School speaking here. Happy Spring.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:11 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

And Hi to Dee. Hope all's well with you, too.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:30 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jack

D
Old 03-16-2019, 07:31 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
waking down

Good to hear, Jack. I agree about the aromatic printed page, along with the texture. I've been writing for entertainment reading for information these days. Take care, and howdy, Dee. Looks like a good day to walk the dogs...
Old 04-11-2019, 05:08 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

How's it going, Zero? You were retired, then got another job. Writing, working, making music. Still going well? I still like to check in on this group of two. Just read a novel my daughter passed on called Conversations with Friends, by Sally Rooney. Young Irish writer. I was transfixed, as they say. Loved it. Mostly the narrator's head noise. The author was a formidable debater, I gather. And it kind of shows in her fiction. I'm lucky to get points to good reading from family.
I guess that I miss the sharing of daily challenges that were posted on this site; and the feedback, critical and positive. And the thread went on , creatively. Which is why come back to this thread. I guess I miss the dynamic. How much longer do you think that we can keep this one going, Zero? I think that you like to check in too, after so many years. Hi Dee.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:25 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jack
to be fair these threads are really for recovery support. I think Zeros feeling pretty good about his recovery these days.

How are you going ? drinking or not?

D
Old 04-14-2019, 01:54 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hi Dee,
Yes, still drinking. And yes, I have to be reminded that this is not a book club! When I want peer support in a future attempt to quit, I'll certainly come back. All the best.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:18 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry - I wasn't trying to drive you away Jack although looking back at what I wrote I can see how you could take it that way. My apologies.

I was just trying to explain why the monthly threads die off

D
Old 04-14-2019, 03:56 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
waking down

Yes, bit by bit we've all wondered off... Which I gather could mean no desire for support, no need for support, have other supports, or just not wanting to discuss current use or past use...

I admire, Jack, that you continue to check in though you keep drinking, and this begs the question of how much of a problem you perceive your drinking to be. You might check out This Naked Mind (search online). It kind of targets those in-betweeners (questioning use, not necessarily full blown problem - yet - types). Not the same as moderation management, exactly..

I'm still writing and doing my thing - working - dogs... The novel is at 35 (short) chapters and crawling or in spurts. So busy. I've continued my sobriety journey by starting a SMART Recovery group; got facilitator training and all. It's keeping me honest... And my music "career" (lol) is on autopilot; people just keep asking me to play...solo, a couple of bands... It's pretty cool that some quality musicians see me as a worthy front man - I can hold down the rhythm and structure - and I kinda scare people with my aging straight edge persona. Yow. Daevid Allen would be proud. Dee knows what I mean.

I'll keep checking in, though days go by that I don't think to click this direction. Hope you're healthy. The fact that you read voraciously makes me hopeful that you're not hammered beyond functional on a regular basis. Only you know... and maybe family if you don't hide it well. : )

Hola, Dee.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:16 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

It all sounds good. I will keep checking in. You guys can't really do anything wrong. Well: not much wrong. Happy Spring! (Fall). !
Old 04-14-2019, 05:48 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Easter Jack

D
Old 04-15-2019, 05:40 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Your life sounds pretty full, Zero. I guess you are actively engaging energy long suppressed by your government job? To be advancing musically, and actually attempting to write a novel, at your tender age, is to be celebrated.

My writing has been put into sleep mode for some time. Wine does that. Which is the nature of my long standing habit. I drink two bottles of wine every evening. Have for years. The burden seems to be heavier as I age. I can observe cognitive challenges that seem to be getting more adamant. But it's a habit that I struggle to struggle with. I've always stayed away from the hard stuff, because I knew that it would destroy me utterly. My rate of consumption wouldn't change; just the outcome. And I don't drink during the day. Not even tempted. And don't do dope. I don't hide my drinking at home, though I moderate or abstain in social situations. And I can do that. My partner drinks wine as well, though less. And we actually enjoy the social dimension, the long chats making dinner, reviewing our day. But I realize that physically, cognitively and financially, my long term habit is unsustainable. And I don't talk about this with anyone. My partner and I touch lightly on it. She seems more high functioning in this gig than I am. I guess the subtext of my path is it's likely a road to perdition, if there's no change. Which is where I'm at as I enter my 7th decade. Thanks for the outlet, folks.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:15 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Oops. Correction. I think it's the beginning of my 8th decade.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:10 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
waking down

The tender age of pushing 60. Lol.

So, two bottles is beyond healthy consumption... It's a trade off, stepping off a well worn path, the comfort of the known, the pleasure of the drink - in exchange for increased clarity, improved or sustaining health, possibly motivation and feeling better overall. I have found the trade well worth it. My hope for you is that you won't suffer dire health consequences before you decide to trade. As we age, health becomes a clear priority. It feels good to feel good. Are you trading short term pleasure for future suffering? That's the question.

But, I appreciate your honesty (assuming you're being honest) about the volume. Two bottles is no big deal once in a while, but nightly will surely take its toll, as you know.

Anyway, I gotta get to work. Drink plenty of water with that... and hope the prostate lets you sleep.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:34 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I do drink plenty of water, thanks. And my prostate continues to be a very good friend. And thanks for all the observations. Yours, like my own, are a continuing part of my daily process.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:34 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
waking down

My prostate is sliced and diced, but at least I can pee again. Oh, snap. TMI!
Old 04-29-2019, 05:25 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Ha! I think that you are well past TMI in this thread on the subject of your prostate! You did a pretty good journalistic record of your health challenges back in those days, Zero. Work it into your novel.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:05 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
waking down

Zero panicked, leaning over the toilet wishing he could pee, hoping not to explode. He envisioned his bladder tearing open like a flesh balloon, urine spilling into the spaces between intestines and sundry organs. After spending twenty minutes searching frantically for his stash of catheters, unable to fathom where they could be, Zero surmised he either needed to get dangerously creative, or check himself into the ER...

Ah...those were the days!
Old 05-06-2019, 04:18 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

You don't know what you got till it's gone, as Joni has observed. Paradises, and prostates included.