SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   24Hour Recovery Connections Part 374 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/426440-24hour-recovery-connections-part-374-a.html)

SoberLeigh 04-17-2018 09:41 AM

Very busy day.

Later!

ChickChick 04-17-2018 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6863835)
jojo honey ~ something wonderful like Harry Potter or any magical book I think....that might let her let go of the day and relax a bit. There are so many wonderful books for girls her age...I know HP is probably too young at this stage, but something like that. ? :) :hug:

How old is she? My kids loved me reading HP to them well before I should have lol.
But one of my kids favorites to read to themselves before bed was the Magic Tree House series. Just a thought! :)
My kids and I all love some soothing solo piano or Enya on while we read/fall asleep.

soberista 04-17-2018 09:43 AM

Busy busy busy....17.43 UK In for another 24. Xx

joandmelandhan 04-17-2018 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by ChickChick (Post 6863868)
How old is she? My kids loved me reading HP to them well before I should have lol.
But one of my kids favorites to read to themselves before bed was the Magic Tree House series. Just a thought! :)
My kids and I all love some soothing solo piano or Enya on while we read/fall asleep.

She's 10 ChickChick. This anxiety at bed time has been going on for a while now and I suspect it is probably an ongoing symptom she developed when I was drinking. Poor lamb. She does that thing where she counts how many hours sleep she will get and gets worked up if it gets late. I am just letting her pop up and down for hugs as necessary and hope a quieter routine relaxes her.
She is into reading Jacqueline Wilson books (not sure if her books are known outside of the UK) so I think she will dive into one she is part way through.
Thank you for the suggestions gals :grouphug:

venuscat 04-17-2018 10:13 AM

10..... The Magic Faraway Tree. :)
OMG how I loved those books....moonface and gosh who else Chick?

Maybe after her current books jojo....this series is so magical. :)

kenton 04-17-2018 10:29 AM

Welcome snufkin!

Thought I'd write about the latest thing I've noticed in a long list of things I've noticed about sobriety....

The more time I spend sober, the less tolerance I seem to have for certain people/situations that I used to put up with. When I was drinking, I used to put up with all kinds of nonsense. I was always trying to be liked by everyone....the perpetual people pleaser. Maybe I did it because I wanted to prove I had some worth. If I was always busy, always doing stuff for others ... maybe it meant I was a decent person.

Lately I've noticed that I put up with a lot less than I used to. I seem to have set some boundaries and I seem to have no problem enforcing them. I'm learning to say 'no' and not feel guilty about saying it. I think I'm learning to be honest with myself and with others. It's a big change and sometimes it feels wrong.... I'm going against decades of established behaviour. But I'm beginning to realise the importance of being me. Some people may like me, some people may not but what matters is whether I like me. And I've realised that I do. And by spending less time trying to get the wrong people to like me, I have more time to devote to the people who are deserving of my time.

I know I always say it but I really love sobriety. It's like a warm, cosy blanket. Quiet and unassuming, sometimes you don't notice it's there. But every so often you remember what it felt like to be cold and you're so grateful to know that sobriety will always be there.

Jo, a great book for when my daughter was having problems sleeping was 'what to do when you dread your bed'. It's for ages 6 - 12 and really helped her - now I have problems getting her out of her bed!!

Congratulations to everyone celebrating a milestone today. 24 more for me please xxxx

WeaverBird 04-17-2018 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by 1newcreation (Post 6863297)
Had a challenging yet great work day yest but was too tired to post. Wouldn’t have summed it up that way even a yr ago; a coworker who’s not even a Sup or mgr speaks condescendingly to me all the time & I’m not exaggerating! As I’ve mentioned before, I’m @ a different bldg coz help is needed there. But I’m the kind of guy whose not ashamed to ask how something is done if I don’t know. Anyway, I did & on top of that a stack of totes fell when was twenty feet up. So he came to find out about it coz he’s quite a distance from it & in response I just killed him with kindness. As I left to go home, he said bye & will see me on Thur!! Huh? What? Never said that to me & not that I stooped to his level, but I believe coz dude @ my normal bldg mostly helped me get where I’m @. Honestly believe that work place is training ground for me since I live alone. All cred & glory belongs to Him coz there’s no way I would respond not react as do today.
24 mo

I just loved this post today 1new and it pretty much sums up how I feel. There's no way I could be doing the things I am without a huge amount of Grace. I start my new church home group on Thurs with the vicar and I am excited to spend time with people walking such a spiritual path. I am so lucky to be included by them.

Weev in for 24 more at 6:40pm grateful for a day doing what I love, hiking out for miles with Dog, and breathing the air of the wide open spaces.

Love to our milestoners, and a big thank you to, and mega prayers for, all who have offered help as I go through these financial rough seas :grouphug:

ManInTheArena 04-17-2018 10:59 AM

Hi guys. Checking in for 24 more hours. Posting from my phone, so i’ll Have to check back later to catch up.

Congrats to all posting here today!!

Sunflowerlife 04-17-2018 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6863746)
Me too hunny bunny!!!! So sorry I missed you on the first post. Mwaaaa! :hug: ♥

And a big shout-out to our painting beauty today....wish we coud see you in that outfit darling Sunflowerlife! :) :hug: ♥

HAHA- I kept coming back in to warm up my frozen fingers. It is frigid out there! I just volunteered at my son's school but I'm tempted to get back to painting. Having some lunch first and then I will reassess the situation...how are you doing today?

venuscat 04-17-2018 11:40 AM

Not getting anywhere....nowhere. Just not happening...I don't really know why....well, I keep going offline and coming back. Guess I need to turn off for a few hours and get some work done. :)

:hug: ♥♥

Neoo 04-17-2018 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6864011)
Not getting anywhere....nowhere. Just not happening...I don't really know why....well, I keep going offline and coming back. Guess I need to turn off for a few hours and get some work done. :)

Come back soon Venus :) :hug:

ChickChick 04-17-2018 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan (Post 6863900)
She's 10 ChickChick. This anxiety at bed time has been going on for a while now and I suspect it is probably an ongoing symptom she developed when I was drinking. Poor lamb. She does that thing where she counts how many hours sleep she will get and gets worked up if it gets late. I am just letting her pop up and down for hugs as necessary and hope a quieter routine relaxes her.
She is into reading Jacqueline Wilson books (not sure if her books are known outside of the UK) so I think she will dive into one she is part way through.
Thank you for the suggestions gals :grouphug:

Shes right between my 2 youngest boys they are 9 and 11. Good thoughts for her falling asleep for both of you.
I'm not familiar with that Author, I'll have to look her up!

ChickChick 04-17-2018 12:23 PM

I'm not getting anywhere either. 2 boys home sick with fevers and I seem to have a bad case of the Tuesdays. Lol. Time to knuckle down on my to do list a bit!

quitter62 04-17-2018 12:34 PM

I’d really enjoy another24 hours of FREEDOM because it feels so GOOD! Let’s do it TOGETHER! Love to ALL of my SR PEEPS!

Sweetpeacan 04-17-2018 12:42 PM

Thank you Dee, 24 more pretty please.

Congratulations to all our milestoners, Hugs to everyone who needs one. Welcome Snufkin.

Much Love 24'ers, SP ::a194::Val004:

joandmelandhan 04-17-2018 12:44 PM

We have had hot shower, reading and forehead stroking......now we are all whispering so we don't disturb her!
I might look up a bed time meditation on her Ipad (although electronic devices and bedtime aren't the best either!)
Let's see how we go......
Kenton I know exactly what you mean! I think I've woken up to many things including mine and other peoples behaviour good and bad. I'm hyper sensitive sometimes and cry happy or frustrated tears more often,
In particular I find myself thinking "why should I....?" quite a lot. Things I did without question before (because I felt I didn't deserve better) often don't sit right with me any more. People do notice that I find. Sometimes positively but more often not because doormat Jojo isn't playing their game any longer.
We are wide awake now Kenton I suppose what we see has no blurry haze anymore.....

Kaneda8888 04-17-2018 12:54 PM

Checking in for 24.

Hevyn 04-17-2018 01:41 PM

I'll have what you all are having...24 more free ones. :)

Kris47 04-17-2018 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6863570)
ooops, sorry darling gabe....re-do:

april 17, 2018

:nyvhttps://i.imgur.com/chfpidi.gif:nyv
gabe1980 ~ 1 week!
lyddie ~ 3 weeks!
jotick ~ 1 month!
maninthearena ~ 1 month!
alysheba ~ 2 months!
stargazer016 ~ 3 years!!!

https://i.imgur.com/ldmlymr.gif

Congratulations!!!!!!!

Awesome Milestones Today!

YAY!

Proud to follow you all...................

Kris47 04-17-2018 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by wiscsober (Post 6863575)
In for 24 at 0730 CDT
Sensed a triple shift in myself yesterday. (mental, physical, spirit)
Financial anxiety as I lay myself down to sleep last night....got back up to see if I could do a few things and realized I couldn't change it...had a restful sleep after.
I really did see the sun for an hour this a.m. no kidding.
My butt hurts from this chair.
Need more money so looking at some options...like work.
Choose today to live sober....choose happiness accept sadness
Have a great day all

The Promises do come true. :hug: Wiscsober.

Bubovski 04-17-2018 02:58 PM

I won't be back......with apologies to Arnold Swartzenegger.

May we all keep strong and centred in our lives and fight the good fight against that formidable foe alcohol and other drugs........Old Bub. xxx

P.S. Never , ever is a bit extreme, I may pop in on rare occasions to let you know of my sobriety and new (planned) web site, but not interactively.

Neoo 04-17-2018 02:59 PM

Goodnight Guys :grouphug:

Neoo 04-17-2018 03:01 PM

Where you going Bub?

venuscat 04-17-2018 03:08 PM

Bub....really....you keep doing this....why?
We care about you.
But this is kind of emotional blackmail.

venuscat 04-17-2018 03:11 PM

Hey Neoo love. :) :hug: ♥♥

Sunflowerlife 04-17-2018 03:16 PM

I know the feeling. The computer has it's own little world inside of it and sometimes it's so hard to cut the cord, even for a few hours! I didn't check FB for like a week and was amazed at how much more free time I had. SR though, I can't stay away from and with good reason :)

venuscat 04-17-2018 03:19 PM

Yep.... :)

I'm here but not there. Tired of waiting for my little sister to give a damn about me. Nearly 50 family and friends liked my new car but she does not give a damn. Sigh. I need to have a shower and decombob....Nick is getting us pizza because I ended up too distressed to make dinner.

Neoo 04-17-2018 03:20 PM

Hello Venus & Sunflower :hug:

Neoo 04-17-2018 03:21 PM

Love you guys night night :grouphug:

Alysheba 04-17-2018 03:25 PM

I have two sisters who don't give a damn about me either, Suze, it's so hurtful after I get past the anger. I feel like I don't even have sisters anymore.
We all love you! xxoo