Notices

24Hour Recovery Connections Part 366

Old 03-25-2018, 08:11 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jack16 View Post
Great to read this chipper post, yes!

I am in for 24, and feeling really good this morning. Got up and did some yoga and meditation, had a good breakfast.

One month now since I had a hangover so bad that I checked into a hotel because I couldn't face my flatmate in that condition. Dreadful.

This last month has not been hard, mainly because this time I have stuck closer to the boards, and worked to keep my sobriety solid each and every day - reading sobriety books, watching Youtube videos, listening to Annie Grace's brilliant Naked Mind podcasts. So things are feeling good, and that's exactly why I'm now gonna work to lock my sobriety down even more now, as I know that the further I get from the last time I drank, the less I remember the full horror of what alcohol has been to me.

I'm rambling a bit, but just now, listening to Spotify, a song came on - Something in the Air by Thunderclap Newman. It almost made me tear up, as it was a song I used to love back when I was 16-17. It took me right back to that time when I was just goofy and happy, when alcohol wasn't part of my life. What's been nice over the past week or so, is getting little glimmers of that young pre-alcohol me. It's like he's actually always been there, but was just drowned out by all that booze and drugs. The prospect of reconnecting with that earlier part of myself is one of my biggest motivations in sobriety.

Anyway, I'm now gonna order myself a DVD box set as a 1 month reward, then it's off to work ;-)

Love to all. Thanks for the stellar support.
Congrats to the wonderful milestoners!
And beaming strength to anyone having a less than brilliant time.

thanks
Hello Jack. Congrats on the 1 month - I'm glad it's gone well for you. I really enjoy Annie Grace's stuff. I first heard her on the SHAIR Recovery Podcast and immediately downloaded her book after hearing her. I listen to a lot of podcasts, they help me a lot.

I like that song, too, and your story around it. I have similar thoughts when I am sober for extended periods (maybe this time forever!!). Drinking separates me from myself. I used to think I needed to do that to deal with things, but not now!

Good luck on your journey!!

And congrats to all of today's Milestoners, and everyone who has committed to another 24 hours
Old 03-25-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Morning to all of you beautiful people

I was trying to be funny with my post yesterday but it looks like it didn’t work sorry about that.

24 more please..

Thought for the Day

Strength comes from coming to believe in a Higher Power that can help you. You can't define this Higher Power, but you can see how it helps other alcoholics. You hear them talk about it and you begin to get the idea yourself. You try praying in a quiet time each morning and you begin to feel stronger, as though your prayers were heard. So you gradually come to believe there must be a Power in the world outside yourself, which is stronger than you and to which you can turn for help. Am I receiving strength from my faith in a Higher Power?

Meditation for the Day

Spiritual development is achieved by daily persistence in living the way you believe God wants you to live. Like the wearing away of a stone by steady drops of water, so will your daily persistence wear away all the difficulties and gain spiritual success for you. Never falter in this daily, steady persistence. Go forward boldly and unafraid. God will help and strengthen you, as long as you are trying to do His will.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may persist day by day in gaining spiritual experience. I pray that I may make this a lifetime work.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:53 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

24 for me please. CA 8:53 am PST.

We took a nice walk this morning. It's so cute the way the dog enjoys them so much.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:06 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

24 more to wind up this weekend at 11.06 central.

Strength to all

T.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:22 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Another 24 for me please
Old 03-25-2018, 10:33 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

24 more for me please!
Old 03-25-2018, 10:37 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Earth Child

can i sign up for 24 hours ?
keep going you can all do this
Old 03-25-2018, 10:48 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hey! 24 more plz at 1248
Old 03-25-2018, 11:30 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Another 24 for me please, day 9 nearly complete! Boom 😃
Old 03-25-2018, 12:21 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GrantMeSerenity View Post
can i sign up for 24 hours ?
keep going you can all do this
You certainly can love.....wonderful to see you!! ♥♥
Old 03-25-2018, 12:24 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Au contraire dear Efra. I had quite a chuckle to myself reading your "little mouse" story!!!!
Old 03-25-2018, 12:25 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jotick View Post
Another 24 for me please, day 9 nearly complete! Boom 😃
Double digits tomorrow!!!!! Boom!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2018, 12:25 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Hi Soozey Poozey!
Old 03-25-2018, 12:26 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Hi hunny bunny Love you ♥♥
Old 03-25-2018, 12:26 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Neoo. Will be thinking of you tomorrow and sending positive energy your way. I would cross everything but out for lunch and that will look ridiculous. Keep us all posted. Xx
Old 03-25-2018, 12:28 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Love you too sweetie pie!
Hope you and the "Silver Fox" had a happy halfiversary xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 03-25-2018, 12:36 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

24 more of freedom pretty please.

Missed all you lovely 24'ers yesterday. Day spent @ the in laws and various other family members which was lovely but minus internet connection. Kind of nice really, spend too much time on my iPad anyway lol.

Anyway as I said a lovely day yesterday, no pressure as everyone knows my "problem" and very supportive of me. Lush Sunday Lunch & now home to watch my favourite programmes of the week & then off to Zedland.

Hope everyone is well & had a lovely weekend.

Much Love my lovelies, SP :
Old 03-25-2018, 12:53 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Checking in for 24.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:05 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Do you ever feel overwhelmed by emotion but stripped away of emotion at the same time? Or is that just me? I feel so angry at myself for being in denial about my drinking for so long but I also feel huge sadness for the person I was, lost in all that denial. I shudder when I think about what might have happened if I'd never stopped drinking and I feel fear that one day I'll wake up and all this recovery will be a dream. But when the anger and the fear and the sadness hit me like this, I feel overwhelmed and then I feel.... nothing. It's like my brain can't process the enormity of my addiction so it shuts all emotion down for a while. Maybe it's self-preservation. Maybe my brain recognises I can't handle all the emotions at once so it gives me a time out. ... an opportunity to build my strength. Maybe it's my way of learning how to deal with emotions now I'm not drowning them out.

Just as I'm beginning to appreciate the enormity of addiction, so too am I beginning to understand the enormity of recovery. So much more than not drinking. My recovery is taking me back to the person I was, the person I was always supposed to be. Before addiction chewed me up. And witnessing the positive changes is awesome. But also a little overwhelming at times. The more I recover, the more I suddenly have to lose.... which can make the world seem a little precarious. I'm sorry if none of this makes sense. I'm just trying to put into words what's going on inside my head because if it's going on inside my head, it might one day go on inside someone else's head and these words might help. And writing stuff down always helps me. Congrats to all the milestoners and good luck tomorrow Neoo. 24 more for me please xxxx
Old 03-25-2018, 01:16 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Yes....it's self-preservation. 100%. This is/can be overwhelming.....our brains have shut-offs. Pretty much like the teenager whose eyes shut down in the middle of what you are trying to explain to them.....listen to it....let it be enough for now. One step at a time baby. Literally. It's important for our state of minds.